PDA

View Full Version : Defibrillators?

Jarl
2008-04-10, 04:00 AM
I don't see rules for defibrillators, CPR, or any other stuff you'd expect to see in a modern setting in d20 Modern. I mean, you could flavor Treat Injury checks to stabilize as CPR, I guess, but what about a defibrillator?

-It just occurred to me this morning. Hasn't come up in a game yet, but you never know. It might.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-10, 04:11 AM
A defibrillator is just a Masterwork item. And assuming the rules are similar to D&D, Treat Injury should work just like CPR.

Serpentine
2008-04-10, 04:14 AM
I'd say that CPR would come under Heal. A defibrilator couldn't be just a masterwork item, it needs electricity. I could maybe see it being made into a magic item...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-10, 04:18 AM
It's D20 Modern. I could easily see someone having them with an internal battery. Alternatively, ambulances are a Masterwork Lab, and always contain defibrillators.

Jarl
2008-04-10, 04:19 AM
Er, I guess I should specify, shouldn't I. I'm looking for the rules on a defibrillator in D20 Modern.

-Having seen one in use IRL, I could probably hazard a guess as to rules for it, but I was wondering if there was anything in the rules already.

Serpentine
2008-04-10, 04:28 AM
Duh. Sorry.
>removes self from discussion<

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-10, 04:37 AM
Like I said, assuming the d20 Modern rules on items are similar to D&D, and I'm not sure that they are, Defibrillators are either a Masterwork item, or a standard part of a Masterwork Lab, and not generally seen separately.

That is, assuming you rule the Treat Injury skill as similar to CPR/basic medical training.

Swordguy
2008-04-10, 05:19 AM
You want a defilibrator?

Shocking Grasp+Chest Compressions=Instant Defilibrator!

(Yes, I'm aware it's a d20 modern question...)

PollyOliver
2008-04-10, 07:39 AM
Well, the description of the medical kit says that it's "of the sort commonly carried by military medics and civilian EMTs," and "contains a wide variety of medical supplies and equipment." It's entirely possible that there's already a defibrillator in the basic medical kit.

If you want to use one, I'd have it give a +x bonus to heal checks to stabilize a dying patient (x being smaller than whatever bonus the ambulance usually gives).

RTGoodman
2008-04-10, 07:49 AM
If you want to use one, I'd have it give a +x bonus to heal checks to stabilize a dying patient (x being smaller than whatever bonus the ambulance usually gives).

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. But only for checks to stabilize someone - I doubt shocking someone would do anything for them if you're attempting the "Restore Hit Points," "Surgery," or (especially) "Treat Disease/Poison" options for Treat Injury. :smallwink:

Funkyodor
2008-04-10, 07:50 AM
If you want rules, it could be a Master Work item that allows you to Take 10 if you have sufficient knowlege/profession ranks, or if you take the time and listen to the instructions the AED (Automated External Defibrillator) calls out. A defibrillator can cause serious injury if used improperly and should result in penalties with no supporting knowlege/profession/treat injury skill.

Galathir
2008-04-10, 02:55 PM
Defibrillators are used to end ventricular fibrillation and pulseless ventricular tachycardia. They don't restart the heart but only end the irregular heart rhythm allowing for it to be restarted with drugs and other means. It certainly helps a lot, but a defibrillator by itself won't bring a person back from cardiac arrest (though of course, there are some exceptions). So along with what rtg0922 and Funkyodor said, it shouldn't do more then give a bonus to stabilize someone and the operator should be trained in order to use it properly.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-10, 03:02 PM
Seconding PollyOliver - the bonus is already included in having a heavy-duty medical kit (in contrast to a mere first-aid kit). It's not just something that helps you with Treat Injury, it's something that allows you to use Treat Injury (without whatever penalty is applied for not having equipment) in certain situations.

Sleet
2008-04-10, 06:25 PM
Seconding PollyOliver - the bonus is already included in having a heavy-duty medical kit (in contrast to a mere first-aid kit). It's not just something that helps you with Treat Injury, it's something that allows you to use Treat Injury (without whatever penalty is applied for not having equipment) in certain situations.

QFT. There's absolutely no need for special rules for a defibrillator or CPR. They're both just Treat Injury checks.