PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a Wizard

shaka gl
2008-04-12, 07:18 PM
So, I was finishing my Wizard lvl 9 and was wondering what to buy. He`s a Diviner and has banned Evocation. I bought:
- Rod of Metamagic, Sculpting, Lesser.
- Headband of Intellect +2
- Ioun Stone (+2 INT)
- Tunic of Steady Spellcasting
- Ring of Protection +1
- Spells and Scrolls worth around 5000gp

I have left, like, 4000 gp.

I thought of buying some kind of 1st or 2nd lvl spell Wand (Ray of Enfeeblement sounded nice, but it lasts too little)

I wanted to know what do you think about this. Is there something im missing? I there something im buying that you think I shouldnt? What spells do you think are good for a Wand to have?

Thanks!

Gorbash
2008-04-12, 07:31 PM
Invest those 4000 in Headband of Int +4 (DMs can easily destroy that Ioun Stone).

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-12, 07:31 PM
Well let me be the first to point out that the Ioun Stone bonus doesn't stack with the Headband, so you just wasted 8,000gp. Go where you want from there.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 07:36 PM
Very recommended: A few Pink tentacle scrolls. Less AC? Yes, please. Autowin if the foolish opponent stay too much time in there? Yippie!

shaka gl
2008-04-12, 07:41 PM
Well let me be the first to point out that the Ioun Stone bonus doesn't stack with the Headband, so you just wasted 8,000gp. Go where you want from there.

You are right. Ioun Stone, sold.

Very recommended: A few Pink tentacle scrolls. Less AC? Yes, please. Autowin if the foolish opponent stay too much time in there? Yippie!

Where is that spell from?

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 07:45 PM
Go with a wand of shivering touch, the spell shivering touch is from frostburn and dose 3d6 dex damage with no save, and all you have to do is to succead on a touch attack:smallbiggrin: AKA insanley broken spell move out of the way everyone because anyone who decideds to mess with the wizard of the party gets to get paralized:smallyuk:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 07:59 PM
Can't remember where, but I can remember the spell:

Pink Tentacles

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 240-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures a field of rubbery pink tentacles, each 20 feet long. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot—including water. They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and stripping them of any protection they might have, even magical ones, or inherent to them.

Every creature within the area of the spell loses 1d6+1/3 spell levels AC per round it remains in the area occupied by the tentacles. The tentacles are immune to all types of damage.

Once the tentacles reduce the AC of an opponent to 0 or lower, it's attitude towards the caster changes to Helpful until the spell ends and for 10 rounds after, or it starts taking 4d8+5 damage until the duration of the spell ends.

Any creature that enters the area of the spell is immediately attacked by the tentacles, and may only move 5' per round. Creatures with Freedom of movement may move normally, but they still take the loss to AC as normal.

Material Component
A piece of tentacle from a giant octopus or a giant squid with INT of 3 or higher.

Works like solid fog, but bigger, with extras, and it's puzzling how that made it past the censors.

Gorbash
2008-04-12, 08:06 PM
That spell doesn't exist... He's messing with you.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 08:08 PM
No, really. Sounds incredible, not the least because it's more than twice as good as solid fog, but it exists. I'm pretty sure it was in a tongue in cheek third party, but it exists.

Gorbash
2008-04-12, 08:10 PM
Yeah right. Spell that sounds almost exactly like Evard's Black Tentacles, they're the same level, although this one has 12 times bigger area, does more than 4 times the damage and for some unknown reason decreases AC and changes the attitude. Spare me.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 08:18 PM
Hey, it's not me that said it was allowable, but it IS, indeed, in existence and in print. I was thinking of Batman Wizard, so I stumbled upon this while browsing my shelve and decided to post it. That it is a spell that would be much better suited for level 8 is anothe matter altogether.

skywalker
2008-04-12, 08:21 PM
I'm fairly certain it's in the (dun dun dun) Book of Erotic Fantasy. At least, it was heavily discussed in Fax Celestis' BoEF thread recently.

Didn't I just recommend you make sure you buy a scrying mirror? Or was that someone else? The character concepts are oddly similar... Anyway, definitely be prepared to scry if you're a diviner(1000gp).

I would also say... Amulet of Natural Armor, those are fairly cheap AC(2000gp).

Finally, a 1st level Pearl of Powah.(1000gp).

Or, skip the Amulet and buy three pearls of powah.

EDIT: Wow, triple post!!! Same thing happened to Molo, look.
If it's not in BoEF, why was it mentioned in that thread?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 08:23 PM
Nah, it's not in the BoEF, that's certain.

And Gorbash, if you don't believe me it's in print, lemme show you a fact: We all know Power Word: Pain is a totally broken spell, and not only it got to print, but it did so in a WoTC splatbook. What makes you think THIS wouldn't make it, then?

Yvian
2008-04-12, 08:26 PM
I would dump the Rod of Metamagic, Sculpting, Lesser. That rod is better for evocation spells. An Extend rod would get my vote. Greater Mage Armor for 18 hrs is a good deal. Halt for 2 rounds is good. There are other choices.

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 08:32 PM

And Gorbash, if you don't believe me it's in print, lemme show you a fact: We all know Power Word: Pain is a totally broken spell, and not only it got to print, but it did so in a WoTC splatbook. What makes you think THIS wouldn't make it, then?

Nymphology, then? The other white meat sexually oriented splatbook?

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 08:53 PM

Nymphology, then? The other white meat sexually oriented splatbook?

shaka gl
2008-04-12, 09:00 PM
I would dump the Rod of Metamagic, Sculpting, Lesser. That rod is better for evocation spells. An Extend rod would get my vote. Greater Mage Armor for 18 hrs is a good deal. Halt for 2 rounds is good. There are other choices.

Done.

Didn't I just recommend you make sure you buy a scrying mirror? Or was that someone else? The character concepts are oddly similar... Anyway, definitely be prepared to scry if you're a diviner(1000gp).

Nope, it wasnt me. But it does sound good, though. Which manual is it in?

Go with a wand of shivering touch, the spell shivering touch is from frostburn and dose 3d6 dex damage with no save, and all you have to do is to succead on a touch attack AKA insanley broken spell move out of the way everyone because anyone who decideds to mess with the wizard of the party gets to get paralized

Dude, if its broken, I wont use it.

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 09:50 PM
Dude, if its broken, I wont use it.
well you'r no fun:frown: I would have to say think for the future and save your money then, seriously how often are you going to have a monster miss/hit your AC by 1 or 2 points? save for somthing that will really help you, like a robe of the Archmagi:smallbiggrin:

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 09:57 PM

Sorry but offering proof that your "spell" exists because other broken spells do would like me picking up a rock in Midwestern United States and saying that it is keeping the tigers away, why? Because there are no tigers nearby. Basically just because broken spells exist, it doesn’t under any circumstance mean yours dose. Now if you could provide tangible evidence like idk the sourcebook your spell is from then I may be more inclined to believe you

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 10:08 PM
...Just what the hell did you say? That's totally unrelated. What I meant with what I said was, he didn't believe a spell with such power existed, so I pointed him to PW: Pain, which is far more broken.

bugsysservant
2008-04-12, 10:09 PM
Sorry but offering proof that your "spell" exists because other broken spells do would like me picking up a rock in Midwestern United States and saying that it is keeping the tigers away, why? Because there are no tigers nearby. Basically just because broken spells exist, it doesn’t under any circumstance mean yours dose. Now if you could provide tangible evidence like idk the sourcebook your spell is from then I may be more inclined to believe you

I think you missed the point. He wasn't trying to prove that it exists, just disprove the fact that only balanced spells exist. Gorbash can't possibly have read EVERY splatbook, WotC or 3rd party, and so saying that this spell can't exist in any of them, especially considering a.) Its Humorous b.) Its 3rd Party c.) WotC has published some hideously broken spells is both silly and arrogant.

Sticking with rocks, essentially, its more like someone disbelieving that their are rocks that aren't granite when someone describes slate and to disprove them, someone shows them a piece of quartz. He's not proving a point, he's defeating an counter-argument.

skywalker
2008-04-12, 10:15 PM
Nope, it wasnt me. But it does sound good, though. Which manual is it in?

It's a required focus component for the standard scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) spell.

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 10:34 PM
I think you missed the point. He wasn't trying to prove that it exists, just disprove the fact that only balanced spells exist. Gorbash can't possibly have read EVERY splatbook, WotC or 3rd party, and so saying that this spell can't exist in any of them, especially considering a.) Its Humorous b.) Its 3rd Party c.) WotC has published some hideously broken spells is both silly and arrogant.

Sticking with rocks, essentially, its more like someone disbelieving that their are rocks that aren't granite when someone describes slate and to disprove them, someone shows them a piece of quartz. He's not proving a point, he's defeating an counter-argument.

I concede the point, and touché

Kurald Galain
2008-04-13, 04:07 AM
I would dump the Rod of Metamagic, Sculpting, Lesser. That rod is better for evocation spells.

It also works perfectly well with conjurations, though. However, since they're 3000gp each, why not simply buy both rods?

I'm not so sure if an item of "+5 to concentration" is worth it. You should max out that skill anyway, and you probably have decent constitution, and defensive spells, and can generally five-foot-step away from melee before casting anything. How about instead taking a Twilight Mithril Shirt, which boosts your AC with no arcane spell failure?

Gorbash
2008-04-13, 04:27 AM
First of all,I have PHB, Spell Compendium and Complete Mage. It's in none of those books. Secondly, it is totally ridiculous to compare it to PW Pain when my initial comparsion was between the basically same spell, Evard's Black Tentacles, and where have you ever heard of a spell that has a radius of 240 ft? And since it's some tongue in cheek 3rd party garbage, of course it's not official nor should anyone use it.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-13, 05:02 AM
It's a required focus component for the standard scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) spell.

There's a magic crystal in one of the eberron books, I think it's magic of eberron, that's the same cost but fits in a pouch and weighs a negligable amount. Basically a portable version because toting around a whacking great mirror in the wilderness isn't all that convenient:smallwink:

And I'd pick up a Haversack if you have a low str score or if you want to get access to some of this stuff (see wands, rods and scrolls) in a hurry.

At this level your spellbook should be the most expensive investment for a wizard, both protections if it ever comes up, backups if the DMs a sneak and extra spells for versatility. I'd tattoo some of the best spells onto myself or my familiar, write up a spare spellbook hidden in a retrievable cache with a selection of basic batman magics and I'd trap up my book, also the Complete Arcane has some nifty addons to give energy immunity, immunity to water and vermin, and Glamour rocks

Kizara
2008-04-13, 05:14 AM
So, I was finishing my Wizard lvl 9 and was wondering what to buy. He`s a Diviner and has banned Evocation. I bought:
- Rod of Metamagic, Sculpting, Lesser.
- Headband of Intellect +2
- Ioun Stone (+2 INT)
- Tunic of Steady Spellcasting
- Ring of Protection +1
- Spells and Scrolls worth around 5000gp

I have left, like, 4000 gp.

I thought of buying some kind of 1st or 2nd lvl spell Wand (Ray of Enfeeblement sounded nice, but it lasts too little)

I wanted to know what do you think about this. Is there something im missing? I there something im buying that you think I shouldnt? What spells do you think are good for a Wand to have?

Thanks!

1) Ditch garbage protection items. Your 'protection' is called Displacement, Fly, and Improved Invisibility. And that's without getting creative.

2) Buy a better headband of Int. Yes it's quite a bit more, but it gives you more spells and a DC boost, in addition to handy skillpoints.

3) Bag of holding? Are you crazy? What wizard DOESN'T have a Bag of Holding?

4) If you want a low-level wand: Knock, Greese, Glitterdust, Resist Energy, and Protection from Evil are all good phb choices. You'll have to find your own stuff in the SpC.

monotone
2008-04-13, 09:00 AM
2) Buy a better headband of Int. Yes it's quite a bit more, but it gives you more spells and a DC boost, in addition to handy skillpoints.

Sorry, but headbands do not provide additional skill points. DMG p.258

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 10:22 AM
First of all,I have PHB, Spell Compendium and Complete Mage. It's in none of those books. Secondly, it is totally ridiculous to compare it to PW Pain when my initial comparsion was between the basically same spell, Evard's Black Tentacles, and where have you ever heard of a spell that has a radius of 240 ft? And since it's some tongue in cheek 3rd party garbage, of course it's not official nor should anyone use it.

Wait, it said 240 ft? ACK! I mistyped. I meant 40 feet. My bad.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-13, 10:45 AM
1) Ditch garbage protection items. Your 'protection' is called Displacement, Fly, and Improved Invisibility. And that's without getting creative.

I haven't had a single Wizard memorize Improved Invisibility since 2nd edition.

That's because Improved Invisibility doesn't exist in 3rd. It's called Greater.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 11:06 AM
Meh. Nitpickyness.

In any case, I'd recommend just picking up a few scrolls of Superior invisibility. Reeeeeally useful, when you need the big cheese to win.

Swooper
2008-04-13, 11:12 AM

That's because Improved Invisibility doesn't exist in 3rd. It's called Greater.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it was called Improved Invisibility in 3.0 :p

shaka gl
2008-04-13, 11:45 AM

3) Bag of holding? Are you crazy? What wizard DOESN'T have a Bag of Holding?

4) If you want a low-level wand: Knock, Greese, Glitterdust, Resist Energy, and Protection from Evil are all good phb choices. You'll have to find your own stuff in the SpC.

1) Done

2) Done

3) Isnt Heward`s Handy Haversack better? :smallsmile:

4) Still thinking.

I'm not so sure if an item of "+5 to concentration" is worth it.

I bought it as I have the Mobile Spellcasting feat, and I thought it would be useful.

However, since they're 3000gp each, why not simply buy both rods?

Scultping rod is 5400 gp, actually.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-13, 11:54 AM
Ditching protection items is a horrible idea. Your spells do not last all day, and any DM worth his dice will drop monsters on you after you've expended some of your protections for the day.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 12:09 PM
*laughs*.

Sorry? Overland flight. Invisibility. There. Lasts all day, without trying.

Iku Rex
2008-04-13, 12:10 PM

That's because Improved Invisibility doesn't exist in 3rd. It's called Greater.Actually, "greater" invisibility is a newfangled invention from the 3.5 edition. In the original 3rd edition (http://www.dragon.ee/30srd/spellsi.htm) (3.0) it was called improved invisibility.

(The 3.5 spell mislead refers to improved invisibility. There's no errata, so it's technically still in the game. :smalltongue: )

skywalker
2008-04-13, 12:28 PM
There's a magic crystal in one of the eberron books, I think it's magic of eberron, that's the same cost but fits in a pouch and weighs a negligable amount. Basically a portable version because toting around a whacking great mirror in the wilderness isn't all that convenient:smallwink:
Dost thou speak of the scry shard which is in the MIC? If not, I will yield to your greater experience, however, scry shards only allow you to scry once, and allow any class to do so.

I have a bone to pick, if you are invisible, how will the other casters know not to blast you?

As for the haversack vs. BoH argument, there are merits to both sides. Depends on what you want it for.

And since it's some tongue in cheek 3rd party garbage, of course it's not official nor should anyone use it.
IMO, that's not a very good argument, lots of people use 3rd party variants and spells.

I'd also like to throw in my support for the tunic of steady spellcasting(or whatever it's called). While you usually can five-foot step, it's that one time when you can't that ruins your whole day, and you mysteriously wake up a level lower, naked, and owing the cleric 5000 gp.

Gorbash
2008-04-13, 12:31 PM
Wait, it said 240 ft? ACK! I mistyped. I meant 40 feet. My bad.

Still... Two times bigger radius, more than 4 times the damage, reduces armor and changes attitude... Same level of the spell, so it's utter BS.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-13, 01:00 PM
*laughs*.

Sorry? Overland flight. Invisibility. There. Lasts all day, without trying.
Overland flight is not fly. Also, it doesn't really give you any special protection; it simply allows movement in three dimensions. Invisibility lasts one minute per caster level or until you take some sort of offensive action; this does not constitute "all day." Greater invisibility, which is what was suggested in the post I was responding to, lasts one round per level. Displacement, which was also suggested, is also one round per level.

They're very nice enhancements, but to rely on them for your total defense is asking to be surprised and maimed.

sikyon
2008-04-13, 01:04 PM
Overland flight is not fly. Also, it doesn't really give you any special protection; it simply allows movement in three dimensions. Invisibility lasts one minute per caster level or until you take some sort of offensive action; this does not constitute "all day." Greater invisibility, which is what was suggested in the post I was responding to, lasts one round per level. Displacement, which was also suggested, is also one round per level.

They're very nice enhancements, but to rely on them for your total defense is asking to be surprised and maimed.

continuous item

mostlyharmful
2008-04-13, 01:04 PM
Dost thou speak of the scry shard which is in the MIC? If not, I will yield to your greater experience, however, scry shards only allow you to scry once, and allow any class to do so.

Nay good sir, or mayhap I believist not. Scry shard is useful but I thought it was a Dragonshard Focus but I don't play Eberron all that much:smallfrown:

Generally the Haversack is more useful for casters I've found, the bags are too heavy for a dump Str Wiz and the autofind object is just golden when you've got sixty bajillion scrolls, wands and potions. By the time you often have to start carting about huge amounts of coins and loot a Portable hole is more useful since it doesn't have a weight limit and doesn't weigh much itself.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-13, 01:10 PM
continuous item
That doesn't really address what I was responding to, which was advising the OP to get rid of protective items because he can cast the spells. :smallannoyed:

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-13, 01:14 PM
Actually, "greater" invisibility is a newfangled invention from the 3.5 edition. In the original 3rd edition (http://www.dragon.ee/30srd/spellsi.htm) (3.0) it was called improved invisibility.

(The 3.5 spell mislead refers to improved invisibility. There's no errata, so it's technically still in the game. :smalltongue: )

1) I also never played in a 3.0 game.

2) And that just means that Mislead doesn't actually do much. It doesn't mean that the spell exists. Unless of course you'd argue that a spell that refers to the spell insta-win actually creates the spell.