PDA

View Full Version : "I need a message delivered with the utmost discretion." [Spell]

Zeta Kai
2008-04-14, 01:47 PM
Herald/Courier, Lesser
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependant, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Brd 1, Clr 2, Drd 2
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature with less than caster’s HD -2
Duration: 6 hours/level or delivered (see below)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster compels the creature to convey a message (25 words or less) to a specific recipient. The creature then must attempt to deliver the message to the best of its ability, as quickly as possible. Once the creature finds the recipient, it will state that it has a private message; the recipient may tell the creature to state the message, or to wait to deliver it (up to 1 minutes (10 rounds)). The message is delivered in your voice, not the creature's.

The creature must understand the language you are speaking to convey the message, but they need not understand the meaning of the message itself. The message is stated only once & cannot be repeated. The creature do not know the contents of the message before, during, or after the delivery; it is magically-sealed within the mind of the creature, & cannot by discovered by any magical or non-magical means. The spell ends when the duration expires, the creature is killed, or it successfully recites the message, whichever comes first.

Dispel magic & scry do not affect a herald/courier spell. A herald/courier spell can be ended by break enchantment or remove curse, but these will not reveal the contents of the message. Only a miracle, limited wish, or a wish can unlock the message prior to delivery. Even these cannot wrest it from the mind of a former target after it has been conveyed, as the contents of the message are wiped immediately after delivery.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-14, 09:41 PM
Herald/Courier
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Brd 2, Clr 3, Drd 3
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25’ + 5’/2 levels)
Target: One living creature with less than caster’s HD -2
Duration: 12 hours/level or delivered (see below)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster compels the creature to convey a message (100 words or less) to a specific recipient. The creature then must attempt to deliver the message to the best of its ability, as quickly as possible. Once the creature finds the recipient, it will state that it has a private message; the recipient may tell the creature to state the message, or to wait to deliver it (up to 2 minutes (20 rounds)). The message is delivered in your voice, not the creatures.

The creature must understand the language you are speaking to convey the message, but they need not understand the meaning of the message itself. The message is stated only once & cannot be repeated. The creature do not know the contents of the message before, during, or after the delivery; it is magically-sealed within the mind of the creature, & cannot by discovered by any magical or non-magical means. The spell ends when the duration expires, the creature is killed, or it successfully recites the message, whichever comes first.

Dispel magic & scry do not affect a herald/courier spell. A herald/courier spell can be ended by break enchantment, limited wish, or remove curse, but these will not reveal the contents of the message. Only a miracle or a wish can unlock the message prior to delivery. Even these cannot wrest it from the mind of a former target after it has been conveyed, as the contents of the message are wiped immediately after delivery.

Rizban
2008-04-15, 12:21 AM
Seems a little powerful for that low a level. I could totally see casting this on some drunk jerk in the bar that's been hitting on my woman and sending him out into hostile lands to personally insult an orc barbarian's mother.

DracoDei
2008-04-15, 07:23 AM
Seconded, good concept, but needs some clauses about reasonably delays (finishing killing the caster SHOULD count!), avoiding known dangers (such as going anywhere near said orc lands), maybe a shorter duration, perhaps a HD limit (1/2 the caster level???), and probably some other abuse prevention that hasn't occurred to us yet stuff. I think the HD limit would be the key from a purely mechanical POV and scaling it keeps it useful at higher levels.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-15, 09:54 AM
The core spell is essentially no different than Lesser Geas, with the main difference being that this spell can only be used to compel someone to convey discreet messages. Geas spells are inherently more powerful, as you can compel someone to do practically anything that isn't obviously dangerous (& let's face it, many dangers aren't obvious until it's too late). Also, if I raised these each up one level, then Greater Herald (coming soon) would be of equal spell level toSending, a much more powerful spell (which seems too powerful to be at the level that it is).

DracoDei
2008-04-15, 10:19 AM
I agree with all your individual points, and I never suggested increasing the spell level. But I think that most if not all of my modifications would retain the core functionality of the spell while reducing the chance for abuse. Now if part of the ideas is to make it so it CAN be used in slightly creative ways (as opposed to only in obvious ways and very creative ways), then that is worth considering, but I would argue against that.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-15, 06:55 PM
Herald/Courier, Greater
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Brd 3, Clr 4, Drd 4
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Close (25’ + 5’/2 levels)
Target: One living creature with less than caster’s HD -1
Duration: 1 day/level or delivered (see below)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The caster compels the creature to convey a message (200 words or less) to a specific recipient. The creature then must attempt to deliver the message to the best of its ability, as quickly as possible. Once the creature finds the recipient, it will state that it has a private message; the recipient may tell the creature to state the message, or to wait to deliver it (up to 4 minutes (40 rounds)). The message is delivered in your voice, not the creatures.

Dispel magic & scry do not affect a herald/courier spell. A herald/courier spell can be ended by break enchantment, limited wish, or remove curse, but these will not reveal the contents of the message. Only a miracle or a wish can unlock the message prior to delivery. Even these cannot wrest it from the mind of a former target after it has been conveyed, as the contents of the message are wiped immediately after delivery.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-15, 06:58 PM
DracoDei, I took your advice & edited the Target & Duration for each spell. More feedback is always appreciated.

Grey Watcher
2008-04-15, 08:40 PM
Seems a little powerful for that low a level. I could totally see casting this on some drunk jerk in the bar that's been hitting on my woman and sending him out into hostile lands to personally insult an orc barbarian's mother.

Perhaps you could include some text about the target avoiding (or dealing with, in the case of more powerful NPCs) obvious dangers to the best of it's abilities. Sending the target on a suicide mission (insulting the aforementioned orc barbarian's parentage) can probably prompt a secondary Will save, similar to what's allowed under the likes of Dominate Person. That would, I think, keep the spirit of the spell, while curbing some of the more obvious routes for abuse.

Also, from a strictly academic perspective, what happens if you send someone message that's undeliverable? Giving a Human Commoner 1 a message for Asmodeus is an exercise in futility, unless you're willing to cast a few spells on his behalf, or give him money to buy spellcasting services from someone else. Does the victim just keep trying at the impossible task until the spell expires? Does such a request prevent the spell from taking effect at all?