PDA

View Full Version : iPod rip?

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:07 PM
Two questions:

1. Is it legal? If yes, proceed to question 2...

2. Mine doesn't work...anyone know where I can get a working one? I need to get some music onto my computer from my iPod.

Vaynor
2008-04-17, 06:18 PM
I don't see why it would be illegal, but Apple may disapprove/it might be against terms of use or something.

SilentNight
2008-04-17, 06:23 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be legal, or at least untraceable.
I am confused though, if you need to get music off of your iPod and it doesn't work, how will a new one help?:smallconfused:

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:27 PM
A new iPod rip program. I tried to find one. One wouldn't work, the other will only switch one song at a time then give an error message, and it has to open and then close iTunes every time...

†Seer†
2008-04-17, 06:27 PM
I don't think it's illegal to rip from your own Ipod, but I think it's not possible (without a different program) to rip so you don't 'acquire' music from friends. It's not like they can tell though, so eh *shrugs*

I would suggest googling "Ipod music rip" or the likes. I used EphPod myself, worked pretty well :) Hope this helps!

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:45 PM
EphPod...didn't work. I got it, it would only do 5 songs at a time and gave me 7 popup warnings every time before it started, then opened and closed iTunes, then told me it was done. Then it screwed up and closed and the music wasn't there...

Don Julio Anejo
2008-04-17, 06:50 PM
I can't remember for sure, but I think you have to enable "using the iPod as a file storage device" (i.e. when you plug it in, it shows up as a new drive, like a USB flash drive). Then go to it and find a hidden folder. It should have all of the songs on the iPod in *.aac format, albeit renamed.

skywalker
2008-04-17, 08:11 PM
It is a breach of the terms of service you accepted at the beginning of your iTunes career, however. It's quasi-legal, IMO.

valadil
2008-04-17, 08:59 PM
I can't remember for sure, but I think you have to enable "using the iPod as a file storage device" (i.e. when you plug it in, it shows up as a new drive, like a USB flash drive). Then go to it and find a hidden folder. It should have all of the songs on the iPod in *.aac format, albeit renamed.

The hidden folder you're looking for is called iPod_control. In that there should be a folder called Music. That has a bunch of folders with weird names and your music is in there. The file names will look like gibberish, but the id3 tags are intact so if you copy the Music folder to your hard drive and open it with an mp3 player the songs will show up correctly.

This is no more or less illegal than a program that rips from your iPod. Those programs just go into the hidden folder for you. Just do it yourself and don't bother with crappy shareware.

Ego Slayer
2008-04-17, 09:00 PM
2. Mine doesn't work...anyone know where I can get a working one? I need to get some music onto my computer from my iPod.
Okay, if I'm understanding you correctly, you just plug the iPod in, go to My Computer, open whatever drive it is (or I get a little pop-up window from the taskbar), and... voila, there is all the music on the 'pod. I'd test this for more specific instructions, but my iPod isn't currently responding to the computer, I've done it before.

Mr. Moon
2008-04-17, 09:05 PM
Sharepod is suppoused to work, but I haven't tried it.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-17, 10:14 PM
I used music rescue (http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/musicrescue/). It worked quite well, it took all of my music and seperated it by artist in my music folder. If you spend money on the full version it puts the music into itunes for you, but I'm cheap.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 10:16 PM
Tried that one, it didn't work.

Ended up using Ipod Access for now, it only lets me do 5 songs at a time but it is fast and it actually works, and I don't have thousands of songs to transfer, just a couple albums.

Sleet
2008-04-17, 10:19 PM
If it's breaking encryption or copy protection, it may be a violation of the DMCA and thus illegal.

I Am Not A Lawyer, and this is NOT legal advice.

Void where prohibited.

Part of this balanced breakfast.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-04-17, 11:20 PM
Who cares if it's illegal anyway... Chances are 90% of the files people put on there have been illegally downloaded anyway.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 11:50 PM
The reason I was asking about illegality is that if it is illegal, then I can't talk about it (let alone ask for help) on the boards...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-17, 11:57 PM
Err, why use an Ipod?
My mp3 has more playing time then the batteries will last...
And it has been driven over by a van once, got into my bicycle wheel.
S´fine, only thing is that the screen is lichtly cracked..