PDA

View Full Version : The Knife-Fighter (PRC) (PEACH)

BRC
2008-04-18, 04:26 PM
The door opens and three bulky figures storm into the tavern. They waded through the tide of patrons as trying to be elsewhere as quickly as possible. By the time they reach the table where Jerem was, up until that point, enjoying a meal, the place was all but empty.. When they had entered the tavern he had been cutting a hunk of bread off a loaf. Jerem sizes up the thugs, three of them, all of which could have won an orc look alike contest with a little paint. All three dressed for trouble, thick, studded leather and chainmail. One of them has a mace, the other has an axe, and the one in the middle, the biggest of the three, is holding a great sword. A quick glance confirms a fourth figure slinking in the shadows with a crossbow who seems to think that Jerem doesn’t see him.
“Mister Grillstone isn’t happy with you. Not happy at all.”
“Is this because I stole his ring? Or because I killed the last three thug teams he sent after me?”
“That’s not really important at this point.”
“I guess not.”
“You’re a funny guy, because I like funny guys I’ll let you get a weapon, you know, give you a chance before we kill you.”
Jerem looks at the bread knife in his hand.
“I’m good.”
Knife-Fighter
Requirements
Base Attack Bonus
+4
Feat: Weapon Focus (Dagger)
Sneak Attack + 1d6

• Hit Dice: d8
• Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Find the Gaps -2; Sneak Attack +1d6
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Fatal Accuracy
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Find the Gaps -4; Sneak Attack +2d6
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Cutthroat
5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Find the Gaps -6; Sneak Attack +3d6
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Carpe Jugulum; Dagger Mastery
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Find the Gaps -8; Sneak Attack +4d6
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Flurry of Stabs 1/day
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Find the Gaps -10; Sneak Attack +5d6; Flurry of Stabs 2/day
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Improved Dagger Mastery;Flurry of Stabs 3/day[/table]

Class Features

• Find the Gaps (Ex): At 1st level, the Knife-Fighter uses the small size of his weapon to slip the blade through the gaps in his opponent’s armor. When a Knife-Fighter attacks an opponent, the opponent’s armor bonus to AC is decreased by 2. At 3rd level, this increases to -4, at 5th level to -6, at 7th level to -8, at 9th level to -10. This cannot lower the opponent’s armor bonus to AC below 0.

• Sneak Attack (Ex): same as the Rogue’s ability.

• Fatal Accuracy (Ex): At 2nd level, any dagger wielded by a Knife-Fighter has a critical multiplier of ×3.

• Cutthroat (Ex): At 4th level, whenever a Knife-Fighter sneak attacks an opponent that is unaware of their presence, the attack is automatically considered a critical threat.

• Carpe Jugulum (Ex): At 6th level, any dagger wielded by a knife-fighter has its critical threat range doubled. This does not stack with any other effect that increases a weapons critical threat range.

• Dagger Mastery (Ex): At 6th level, any dagger wielded by Knife-Fighter deals damage as if it was 1 size category larger.

• Flurry of Stabs (Ex): At 8th level, once per day, a Knife-Fighter may full-attack with a dagger, using their highest attack bonus for every attack. At 9th level the Knife Fighter may use Flurry of Stabs twice a day, at 10th level they may use it three times a day.
• Improved Dagger Mastery (Ex): At 10th level, any dagger wielded by Knife-Fighter deals damage as if it was 2 size categories larger.[/

JackTR69
2008-04-18, 06:40 PM
Nice work, but I think fatal accuracy and cutthroat should be switch around either in the chart or the notes because they don't match up (one comes first in one but not the other). I think at 10th level they should get some sort of improved dagger mastery where they get it two size categories larger to make the class a little less underpowered. Also maybe put in a slight of hand skill requirement? Maybe some cool abilities keyed to that skill? Like make it a skill check to negate their armor instead of just being automatic?

BRC
2008-04-18, 07:02 PM
Nice work, but I think fatal accuracy and cutthroat should be switch around either in the chart or the notes because they don't match up (one comes first in one but not the other). I think at 10th level they should get some sort of improved dagger mastery where they get it two size categories larger to make the class a little less underpowered. Also maybe put in a slight of hand skill requirement? Maybe some cool abilities keyed to that skill? Like make it a skill check to negate their armor instead of just being automatic?
The chart is right, the notes are wrong. I wanted to put Cutthroat a few levels in so that it dosn't become a Dip class

The Improved Dagger Mastery: I'll wait for somebody to second that idea, but I kind of like it.

Maybe I'll do a Slight of Hand requirement, but I don't think I'll put in a skill check to negate armor, it makes things more complicated than they need to be, adding more dice rolls to gum up the works.

JoshuaZ
2008-04-18, 07:42 PM
Cutthroat: When a Knife-fighter sneak-attacks an enemy that is unaware of their presence, the attack is automatically considered a critical threat.

You may want to add that this only works for enemies that are normally subject to critical hits.

I'd also add something at level 8 since deadlevels are no fun. The class is a bit weak. How about:

Level 8-
Incredible Knife Skill You become very skilled fighting with knifes. You are treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat as long as one weapon you are wielding is a knife.

To make up for the general weakness of the class how about adding at level 2, gaining Weapon Specialization for daggers as a bonus feat even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

And gain Greater Weapon Focus (dagger) or Greater Weapon Specialization (dagger) as a bonus feat at level 6.

BRC
2008-04-18, 07:45 PM
You may want to add that this only works for enemies that are normally subject to critical hits.

I'd also add something at level 8 since deadlevels are no fun. The class is a bit weak. How about:

Level 8-
Incredible Knife Skill You become very skilled fighting with knifes. You are treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat as long as one weapon you are wielding is a knife.

To make up for the general weakness of the class how about adding at level 2, gaining Weapon Specialization for daggers as a bonus feat even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

And gain Greater Weapon Focus (dagger) or Greater Weapon Specialization (dagger) as a bonus feat at level 6.

Hmm, I like those ideas. I don't think I need to add that to Cutthroat, but it couldn't hurt.

Or maybe I'll add the Greater Dagger Mastery at level 8.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-18, 09:32 PM
How about this for a possible edit:

Knife-Fighter

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Flurry of Stabs
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Find the Gaps -10; Sneak Attack +5d6
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Improved Dagger Mastery[/table]

Class Features

• Find the Gaps (Ex): At 1st level, the Knife-Fighter uses the small size of his weapon to slip the blade through the gaps in his opponent’s armor. When a Knife-Fighter attacks an opponent, the opponent’s armor bonus to AC is decreased by 2. At 3rd level, this increases to -4, at 5th level to -6, at 7th level to -8, at 9th level to -10. This cannot lower the opponent’s armor bonus to AC below 0.

• Fatal Accuracy (Ex): At 2nd level, any dagger wielded by a Knife-Fighter has a critical multiplier of ×3.

• Cutthroat (Ex): At 4th level, whenever a Knife-Fighter sneak attacks an opponent that is unaware of their presence, the attack is automatically considered a critical threat.

• Carpe Jugulum (Ex): At 6th level, any dagger wielded by a knife-fighter has its critical threat range doubled. This does not stack with any other effect that increases a weapons critical threat range.

• Dagger Mastery (Ex): At 6th level, any dagger wielded by Knife-Fighter deals damage as if it was 1 size category larger.

• Flurry of Stabs (Ex): At 8th level, once per day, a Knife-Fighter may full-attack with a dagger, using their highest attack bonus for every attack.

• Improved Dagger Mastery (Ex): At 10th level, any dagger wielded by Knife-Fighter deals damage as if it was 2 size categories larger.

BRC
2008-04-18, 09:38 PM
How about this for a possible edit:

Knife-Fighter

8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Flurry of Stabs
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Find the Gaps -10; Sneak Attack +5d6
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Improved Dagger Mastery[/table]

Class Features

• Flurry of Stabs (Ex): At 8th level, once per day, a Knife-Fighter may full-attack with a dagger, using their highest attack bonus for every attack.

• Improved Dagger Mastery (Ex): At 10th level, any dagger wielded by Knife-Fighter deals damage as if it was 2 size categories larger.

Ooh, all clean and organized. I likes it.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-18, 11:06 PM
Well, thank you, that's what I do. I may speak non-sense, & you might not like the message, but the grammar & syntax are right.

I liked the concept of the Knife-Fighter. It's admirably straightforward & streamlined. It just needed a polish is all.

BRC
2008-04-19, 04:56 PM
Well, thank you, that's what I do. I may speak non-sense, & you might not like the message, but the grammar & syntax are right.

I liked the concept of the Knife-Fighter. It's admirably straightforward & streamlined. It just needed a polish is all.
Yeah, it always bugged me that the dagger, a weapon with such a great history in fantasy fiction, and such a personality, is pretty much useless by DnD rules, so I decided to build a class around it.

No other comments?

SurlySeraph
2008-04-19, 07:26 PM
Simple, straightforward, and pretty effective. Nice.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-19, 08:01 PM
I like the idea, as well as most of the execution. My concern, however, is the dagger masteries and Flurry of Stabs. The Masteries are not much of a gain for that much of an investment in the class, and the having a really cool thing one can do once per day is just not my thing. Flurry isn't BAD, it's just not my thing.

What are the prereqs? I'm thinking I'd take Rogue/Swash up to the level the class is available.

BRC
2008-04-20, 01:56 AM
I need to fix the main post. Right now the only prerequs are Weapon Focus: Dagger and a BAB of +4, though I may throw in some sneak attack dice.

I also think I'll up Flurry to 3/day, or maybe give it to them at level 8, then 2/day at level 9 and 3/day at level 10

RationalGoblin
2008-04-20, 01:37 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly5jctnbgds) is what I have to say about your PrC.

Caracol
2008-04-20, 02:22 PM
Classical concept, and very well done. I'm a bit doubtful about the Find the Gaps: what if your opponent doesn't have an armor? Does it applies at natural armor too? I'm saying this because it's a good, TOO good ability, that unfortunately does not make sense if your opponent is unarmored: what gaps could you possibly find?
Also: at level 9, you can lower by 10 the AC ignoring the armor bonus, even if the bonus of the armor is less than 10 (ex, against a nonmagical studded leather). That hardly makes sense, because you lower the AC more than the total protection.

I would edit this ability like this:
Level 1: -1 AC.
Level 3: -2 AC.
Level 5: - Half the AC bonus of the armor (magical bonuses excluded)
Level 7: - 2/3 the AC bonus of the armor (magical bonuses included)
Level 9: - all the bonus of the armor.

Of course, the ability doesn't affect natural and deflection armor.

Too weak? well, balance with other abilities. This PrC is good in realization and concept, it just needs some more kickass style like:

- knife throwing ability,
- incapacitating blows,
- unarmed strikes and grapples,

just take inspiration from the knife using martial arts around....

BRC
2008-04-20, 03:34 PM
Classical concept, and very well done. I'm a bit doubtful about the Find the Gaps: what if your opponent doesn't have an armor? Does it applies at natural armor too? I'm saying this because it's a good, TOO good ability, that unfortunately does not make sense if your opponent is unarmored: what gaps could you possibly find?
Also: at level 9, you can lower by 10 the AC ignoring the armor bonus, even if the bonus of the armor is less than 10 (ex, against a nonmagical studded leather). That hardly makes sense, because you lower the AC more than the total protection.

I would edit this ability like this:
Level 1: -1 AC.
Level 3: -2 AC.
Level 5: - Half the AC bonus of the armor (magical bonuses excluded)
Level 7: - 2/3 the AC bonus of the armor (magical bonuses included)
Level 9: - all the bonus of the armor.

Of course, the ability doesn't affect natural and deflection armor.

Too weak? well, balance with other abilities. This PrC is good in realization and concept, it just needs some more kickass style like:

- knife throwing ability,
- incapacitating blows,
- unarmed strikes and grapples,

just take inspiration from the knife using martial arts around....

I specifically defined it as reducing your Armor bonus to AC.
There are several types of AC bonus: Armor, Size, Shield, Dodge, Deflection, Natural, and I think theres another I'm missing. Armor bonuses only come from worn armor, and that is all Find the Gaps bypasses. I also specified that you cannot lower the Armor bonus to AC past zero. Therefore, if your enemy is wearing nonmagical studded leather, even though you have -10 Find the Gaps, you can completally Ignore their armor bonus to AC, but nothing else.

Caracol
2008-04-20, 05:03 PM
I specifically defined it as reducing your Armor bonus to AC.
There are several types of AC bonus: Armor, Size, Shield, Dodge, Deflection, Natural, and I think theres another I'm missing. Armor bonuses only come from worn armor, and that is all Find the Gaps bypasses. I also specified that you cannot lower the Armor bonus to AC past zero. Therefore, if your enemy is wearing nonmagical studded leather, even though you have -10 Find the Gaps, you can completally Ignore their armor bonus to AC, but nothing else.

Looks like I've missed something here. Sorry about the (unnecessary) advice in this case :smallbiggrin:

What about the other suggestions I made? This class can be even more flavourful. When you made a all-combat PrC, it's better to give the player a lot of fighting options to choose.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-20, 05:39 PM
Just some ideas:

Prereqs:
BAB +4
Weapon Focus: Dagger

Feat: Close Quarters Combatant
Prereq: Daring Rogue, Weapon Focus: Dagger
Benefit: levels in Knife-Fighter are treated as levels in Rogue or Swashbuckler for the purpose of determining the effects of feats.
(Lose the class sneak attack progression if using this feat.)

Bladestorm:
A knife-fighter may assault an opponent at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the knife-fighter might make before her next action. When a knife-fighter reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 10th level it disappears. A knife-fighter must use a full attack action to begin a bladestorm. When using bladestorm, a knife-fighter may attack only with daggers, or weapons that are treated as daggers.

Greater Bladestorm:
When a knife-fighter reaches 10th level, her bladestorm ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from bladestorm, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.
(Ditch Flurry of Stabs if this is used.)

lvl 4: Dagger Mastery: Something different, not sure what yet.

lvl 8: Cutthroat: Whenever a knife-fighter sneak attacks an opponent denied their Dex bonus to AC, the attack is automatically considered a critical threat.

lvl 10: Improved Dagger Mastery: See Dagger Mastery.

BRC
2008-04-20, 06:01 PM
Just some ideas:

Prereqs:
BAB +4
Weapon Focus: Dagger

Feat: Close Quarters Combatant
Prereq: Daring Rogue, Weapon Focus: Dagger
Benefit: levels in Knife-Fighter are treated as levels in Rogue or Swashbuckler for the purpose of determining the effects of feats.
(Lose the class sneak attack progression if using this feat.)

Bladestorm:
A knife-fighter may assault an opponent at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the knife-fighter might make before her next action. When a knife-fighter reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 10th level it disappears. A knife-fighter must use a full attack action to begin a bladestorm. When using bladestorm, a knife-fighter may attack only with daggers, or weapons that are treated as daggers.

Greater Bladestorm:
When a knife-fighter reaches 10th level, her bladestorm ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from bladestorm, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.
(Ditch Flurry of Stabs if this is used.)

lvl 4: Dagger Mastery: Something different, not sure what yet.

lvl 8: Cutthroat: Whenever a knife-fighter sneak attacks an opponent denied their Dex bonus to AC, the attack is automatically considered a critical threat.

lvl 10: Improved Dagger Mastery: See Dagger Mastery.

Bladestorm: An intriguing idea, except that the idea behind a dagger is that it tends to be a More accurate weapon, not less. Hmm, maybe give them the choice between a version of Bladestorm and Flurry of Stabs.
Your Version of Cutthroat: First of all "Sneak attacking an opponent deprived of their dex bonus to AC" is redundant, secondly, sound fairly broken, essentially at 8th level every sneak attack a Knife-Fighter makes is a critical threat, which if your, say, flanking an opponent (Depriving them of their dex bonus), and duel-wielding daggers you get alot of critical threats.

@ Caracol: Knife Throwing, I'm pretty sure that all the bonuses gained by things like Dagger mastery, Fatal Accuracy, and Carpe Jugulum also apply to throwing a dagger, same for using a dagger in a grapple. I don't see a reason for adding unarmed combat stuff to a class based around a weapon. Incapacitating blows? Maybe.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-20, 06:06 PM
I think I like the suggested Bladestorm over Flurry.

With the AC reducer and full BAB, you're already going to be hitting accurately. Why compound that by attacking with highest BAB 1-2 times a day?

Still, good class. I like it.

BRC
2008-04-20, 06:17 PM
Maybe somthing like this at level 10 (Dropping flurry)
Slice n' Dice: Whenever a Knife-Fighter hits an opponent with a dagger in meele, they automatically make a second attack at the same attack bonus (however, if this one hits it does not then confer a third attack). For example Jerem has a dagger attack bonus of 16/11/6 and makes a full attack. He hits on his first attack, and then gains a second attack, also at a +16 bonus. This one also hits, and so he goes on to make a third attack at a +11 bonus (as if he we doing a normal full attack, this one misses so he dosn't get an extra attack. Finally he makes an attack at +6, this one hits so he gains a second +6 attack. Next round he moves and makes a standard attack, he hits and so gains a bonus second attack.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-20, 06:20 PM
Commie: Yeah... I had two different ideas, and I suppose that in my haste, I botched the cleanup. :smallbiggrin:

I'm standing firm on my view of the alternative. Are daggers more accurate than your own limbs if you are martially trained? :smalltongue: -2/-1/-0 is really not that steep a price for 1 and 2 additional attacks at your full BAB. Hell, add in the armor bypassing bit and it's a steal. I would not make suggestions for a class if they would render it unplayable in my book. :smallamused:

BRC
2008-04-20, 06:24 PM
Commie: Yeah... I had two different ideas, and I suppose that in my haste, I botched the cleanup. :smallbiggrin:

I'm standing firm on my view of the alternative. Are daggers more accurate than your own limbs if you are martially trained? :smalltongue: -2/-1/-0 is really not that steep a price for 1 and 2 additional attacks at your full BAB. Hell, add in the armor bypassing bit and it's a steal. I would not make suggestions for a class if they would render it unplayable in my book. :smallamused:
Oh, I like the idea of Bladestorm, don't get me wrong. I just also liked the idea of Slice n' Dice, so I'm throwing both out there and seeing which one people like better. I'm simillarly going to stand firm on Cutthroat, especially since a critical threat is, at worst, a standard hit and at best a critical hit. This means that with your plan every sneak attack would be an automatic hit (well, even more so than a full BAB class that bypasses armor attacking a flat-footed opponent, but that's besides the point).

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-20, 06:37 PM
I agree that it should be an ambush move, the second draft that got mixed in was supposed to be the one I deleted. :smalltongue: The point though, is that with a vorpal shiv, this ability rocks the house. Hence why I think the lvl 8 spot works a bit better.

Slice and Dice is... well a viable option. I like the flexability a lot. It's a little spooky when paired with Robilar's Gambit though. :smalleek:

Various
2008-04-20, 06:44 PM
This seems like a pumped-up version of Invisible Blade with a lower BAB requirement and a better hit die. Though that PRC is more focused on feints to create Sneak Attack opportunities and yours doesn't have the Intelligence bonus to AC and no bleed attack. Yours seems more geared towards criticals.

BRC
2008-04-20, 07:02 PM
I agree that it should be an ambush move, the second draft that got mixed in was supposed to be the one I deleted. :smalltongue: The point though, is that with a vorpal shiv, this ability rocks the house. Hence why I think the lvl 8 spot works a bit better.

VORPAL DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Vorpal dosn't work on a crit, only a natural 20 (Which is a crit, but while a poodle is a dog not all dogs are poodles). Therefore, when using Cutthroat, unless you roll a 20, you don't Vorp them.

As for the whole "Robliers Gambit" thing, I don't know what that is, which means it's non core. My philosiphy is that, with some exceptions, you shouldn't worry about designing a class that could never be cheesed out, heck, WoTC can't do it and they get paid for it. If somebody really wants to cheese, they can make Pun-Pun.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-20, 07:28 PM
How did I manage to forget that?:smallconfused: I blame the amnesia. Word to the wise: Car accidents are not fun.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-20, 08:15 PM
How did I manage to forget that?:smallconfused: I blame the amnesia. Word to the wise: Car accidents are not fun.

So noted.

Slice n' Dice is interesting, but could be broken the more extra attacks you pile onto your character.

It's iffy.

EDIT: Still, it's no worse than, say, Eternal Blade's cap, which gives you another turn.

SilentNight
2008-04-21, 09:18 AM
I would add in a prereq. of Sleight of Hand : 8 ranks. As it is, people can gain entrance at 4th level. That said, this class is extremely powerful. -10 to AC?!, Full BAB and sneak attack? Automatic Crits? While the concept is awesome, you have over-accomplished your goal of boosting the dagger. Perhaps I am over-reacting but it seems insanely powerful.

Sampi
2008-04-21, 09:35 AM
@ Silentnight: What calss grants you +4 BAB and +1d6 sneak attack at 4th level?

@ BRC: I like this one. If only there was more low-fantasy gaming around..

SilentNight
2008-04-21, 09:40 AM
@ Silentnight: What calss grants you +4 BAB and +1d6 sneak attack at 4th level?

I'm not quite sure I understand where you're coming from. There is no such class like that that I know of. Just let me make this clear. I love the class, it's just overpowered.

Partysan
2008-04-21, 10:02 AM
An easy option to give Knife fighters an edge in D&D is to allow them to power attack with light weapons and maybe even let them count as twohanded later.
I once made a class to resemble Riddick: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3666413&postcount=13

BRC
2008-04-21, 11:35 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand where you're coming from. There is no such class like that that I know of. Just let me make this clear. I love the class, it's just overpowered.

He was commenting on your claim that you could enter this class at 4th level. The earliest you could enter this would be 6th level if you were either a full rogue or a fighter 4/ rogue 1

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 04:53 PM
First Off, Let Me Say That You Make Prc's As Well As You Make Avvies
Secondly, I Would Definitely Not Go With Bladestorm, As Daggers Should Not Be Sacrificing Any Bab, Flavorwise.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-22, 05:02 PM
O_o It's literally a copy of Flurry. Unarmed attacks aren't sacrificing the small amount of accuracy, the person is. You know, speeding up the attack pattern in order to get another shot in? Think of it as a burst fire option for a pistol. No matter how accurate the gun itself, the rate of attack (when you are first attempting to master it anyway) causes one to be less than surgical with the thing. Hell, the ability to make an extra attack (or two) with the weapon speaks volumes about one's mastery of the bloody thing.