PDA

View Full Version : GenCon Oz

Nebo_
2008-04-20, 02:34 AM
GenCon Oz (http://genconoz.com/) draws ever closer. I find myself wondering if anyone else here plans to go?

Conrad Poohs
2008-04-20, 04:38 AM
I would, but I promised my Grandmother that I'd watch Blood Nympho II with her. Plus I don't know what it is to which you're referring and I can't be bothered to click on the link because I am a disgruntled soil scientist who has shambolized his honours and still has more work this evening :smallfrown: .

...Hmmm, quite a worthwile reply I think. ...Oh wait, my mistake.

Serpentine
2008-04-20, 06:40 AM
Conrad, remind me to tell you you're an idiot when I see you next. Nothing to do with that post, I just think you ought to be told.

Nebo, I'm seriously considering it. I think my holidays are around that time, and my dad lives on the Gold Coast, and I think he'd be interested in going too (eeeew, an outing with my dad :smallyuk: :smalltongue:).

Jokes
2008-04-20, 06:58 AM
Huh, didn't even know it was on...

Might see if any of my friends want to go. Trekking halfway across the country alone is pretty boring.

Nebo_
2008-04-20, 05:58 PM
Perhaps a meet up is in order.

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-21, 12:23 AM
Point of fact: A meetup is always in order. :smallcool:

*adds GenCon Oz to his list of "someday's"*

Serpentine
2008-04-21, 12:30 AM
Point of fact: Lisa Zeb smells. :smallcool:

<.< >.>

Nebo: Maybe. May. Be.

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-21, 12:50 AM
Point of fact: Lisa Zeb smells. :smallcool:
:smalleek: :smallfrown:

:smalltongue: :smallcool:

I know you're fibbing because it's only Sunday and that means I took my Saturday bath just yesterday. :smallwink:

Jagg
2008-04-21, 12:50 AM
Nebo

I hereby award you the award of extreme emotional range (tm) let me 'splain.

Jagg's internal monologue.......

"Wait Gencon? Here? ON THE GOLD COAST??? I've got plenty of time off. That's only a quarter of a tank of petrol!!! Woot! Woo Hoo! *silly dance* I'm gonna go to Gencon, I'm gonna go to Gencon, I get to do geeky things for FOUR WHOLE DAYS!!!....... Wait a second.

Checks dates.

Rack Brains.

Realize that my brother and his family are arriving from Perth, Western Australia AT THE SAME TIME..... My Brother, my nieces, whom I haven't seen for four years.. Calculates possibility of ditching close blood relatives for 4 days out of their two week holiday.....

B{censored for young ears} son of a {censored} mother - {consored} Bulls{censored} {insert swearing fit...sorry}

*time passes in a swearing fugue like state*

Crud...I can't Gooo-ho-ho.

From sooo high to sooo low. 3 minutes.

Serpentine
2008-04-21, 12:51 AM
1. I'm pretty sure it's actually in Brisbane, isn't it?
2. You can just go for one or two days... Or take them along! :smallbiggrin:

Jagg
2008-04-21, 01:09 AM
1. I'm pretty sure it's actually in Brisbane, isn't it?
2. You can just go for one or two days... Or take them along! :smallbiggrin:

So Girls, you know that whole holiday plans we were gonna do?

/young teenage female voice/ Yeah Uncle Jagg, you mean how we are going to do ALL the themeparks, and go up to the Sunshine Coast, and go to Australia Zoo and see the crocodiles ooh and don't forget you promised to take us shopping at Eumundi Markets for discount fashion items and all that stuff? Wait what do you mean "gonna do?" /voice

Yeah....well....see the thing is...um Uncle Jagg needs to get his geek on and there's this convention see.

/young teenage female voice/ You suck. /voice

I don't want to face that.

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-21, 01:16 AM
You clearly need geekier nieces. :smallcool:

Jagg
2008-04-21, 01:17 AM
You clearly need geekier nieces. :smallcool:

YUP:smallfrown:

Serpentine
2008-04-21, 02:52 AM
My nephew entered a Magic: The Gathering competition and didn't come last (at around age 6), and has recently taken up D&D Miniatures :smallcool:

Jagg
2008-04-21, 04:26 AM
Showoff:smalltongue:

Nebo_
2008-04-21, 05:09 AM
Nebo

I hereby award you the award of extreme emotional range (tm) let me 'splain.

Jagg's internal monologue.......

"Wait Gencon? Here? ON THE GOLD COAST??? I've got plenty of time off. That's only a quarter of a tank of petrol!!! Woot! Woo Hoo! *silly dance* I'm gonna go to Gencon, I'm gonna go to Gencon, I get to do geeky things for FOUR WHOLE DAYS!!!....... Wait a second.

You're on the Gold Coast? Where abouts? Feel free not to answer that on the grounds that I might be a creepy internet stalker. I'm not, but y'know, just in case.

Surely you can spare one day?

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-21, 05:29 AM
Damn...I can't go, I'm all the ways down in Melbourne.:smallfrown::smallfrown:

*sniff*

Trog
2008-04-21, 08:03 AM
Thes and I plan to attend. I'm hoping to maybe run a home brew 4.0 adventure between all the other events and stuff. Probably something rather silly. We shall see.

*plots*

Serpentine
2008-04-21, 08:13 AM

Uh...

Trog and Thes are coming to Australia? :smallconfused:

Charity
2008-04-21, 08:34 AM
Now theres some bloody dedication for you! All you Aussies moaning it's too far, I thought you were meant to be hardcore... nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Oh and Nebo isn't a stalker ... now will you let them go, I've done what you said..

*Stir stir*

Trog
2008-04-21, 12:41 PM

Uh...

Trog and Thes are coming to Australia? :smallconfused:

WHOOPS! :smalleek: Uh... should have clicked on the link. :smallredface:

Isn't this Indianapolis *looks around* They have kangaroos in Indianapolis, right? No? Dang.

*clicks ruby slippers three times. Vanishes* :smalltongue:

Jagg
2008-04-21, 08:18 PM
You're on the Gold Coast? Where abouts? Feel free not to answer that on the grounds that I might be a creepy internet stalker. I'm not, but y'know, just in case.

Surely you can spare one day?

No I'm not on the Gold Coast...I'm a ditz who thought the convention was on the Gold coast.

I'm within a 45 minute drive of Australia Zoo. There that's nice and non specific.

I've mentioned it to my brother. I MIGHT get a single solitary day there (depends on niece's).

Let me know what days you guys are attending and send me some contactish -type details and if you are above legal drinking age I'll buy you a beer and we can swap war stories.

Nebo_
2008-04-21, 08:34 PM
No I'm not on the Gold Coast...I'm a ditz who thought the convention was on the Gold coast.

I'm within a 45 minute drive of Australia Zoo. There that's nice and non specific.

Ah, you're a fair way up north, then.

I've mentioned it to my brother. I MIGHT get a single solitary day there (depends on niece's).

Let me know what days you guys are attending and send me some contactish -type details and if you are above legal drinking age I'll buy you a beer and we can swap war stories.

Sounds good. I'll let you know when I know more about my plans.

Nychta
2008-04-21, 09:02 PM
Jagg: Drop your nieces off in NZ. I'll geekify them and take them shopping for you.

:smallwink: I hope you guys all get to meet up!

Jagg
2008-04-21, 09:14 PM
Jagg: Drop your nieces off in NZ. I'll geekify them and take them shopping for you.

:smallwink: I hope you guys all get to meet up!

Nah they'll come back saying things like fush and chups jk:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I Kid I kid

BizzaroStormy
2008-04-21, 09:15 PM
Nah, I'll likely just go to GenCon Indy if I can get the money together and bum a ride off my DM.

Jagg
2008-05-21, 08:51 PM
KA-BUMP!!!

It draws closer.

So who's going? I got word back from the brother...I will definately be spending at least one day there so....beer will be drunk, war stories will be swapped, my pathetic attempts to grow a beard can be laughed at.

don't miss out.

JAGG

Recaiden
2008-05-22, 08:12 AM
Oh no. This really isn't Indianapolis.:smallconfused: And how did i get here in a car?

I would go if i could afford it, but Australia is quite a ways away.

Lianae
2008-05-22, 06:38 PM
I won't be there, I'll be in Madrid then :smallcool:

Nebo_
2008-06-02, 01:07 AM
Another bump. If anyone wants to begin formulating plans for a meet up, add me to MSN; my address is in my profile.

DarkLightDragon
2008-06-02, 02:04 AM
Gah. A con in Aussieland and it's not in WA! :smallannoyed:

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 02:45 AM
Blorg. Will be in Africa... maybe next year. Also full points to Serp on the simpsons reference.

and Jagg, is that ABOVE or BELOW Beerwah?

Nebo_
2008-06-02, 07:42 AM
Gah. A con in Aussieland and it's not in WA! :smallannoyed:

Just as well, WA would be a silly spot to put such a thing.

Serpentine
2008-06-15, 02:20 AM
Just bumping cuz it's getting closer. Trying to organise some friends to go. May have some accommodation issues, though - my dad lives on the Gold Coast, but his place isn't that big and his girlfriends really thingy about her privacy and stuff.

Nebo_
2008-06-15, 02:59 AM
Just bumping cuz it's getting closer. Trying to organise some friends to go. May have some accommodation issues, though - my dad lives on the Gold Coast, but his place isn't that big and his girlfriends really thingy about her privacy and stuff.

Taking the trip from the coast to Brisbane every day isn't advised. It's about 2 hours, give or take, so you'll have to spend four hours each day traveling. When it opens at 8:30 every morning, you'd want to be an early riser.

I have a friend who lives in Brisbane who I'm going to stay with for the duration, but some other friends of mine found a cheap hotel to stay in. It depends on how much you're willing to spend, but you should be able to find something to suit your needs.

Hairb
2008-06-15, 05:09 AM
I'd been planning to go for almost a year, and had sort of forgotten about it. But yeah, I still want to go. Figuring accom out will be the hard bit. Once upon a time I had rellie's on the coast I could stay with. Alas, no more. Time for plan B

Nebo_
2008-06-29, 07:58 AM
GenCon approaches! Less than a week remains. Bump because it's getting closer and we still have no plans to meet with each other. I've only registered for three events so far in the hope that I can wander around for all the rest, but you'll find me at the Warmachine Steamroller competition on... I have forgotten which day (mental note: Check which day Steamroller is on), the RPGA endgame on Sunday and the TF2 Comp on Friday.

Serpentine
2008-06-29, 11:21 AM
Alas, I shan't be going. I was iffy about organising it with Gorgeous Friend being the driver anyway, and the other main two have pulled out (they're going into Queensland on two other weekends around that time, and too much travel + extra money = no GenCon), so I'm not going. Better let my friend know... Keep an eye out for a mediumish sized guy with long hair, lots of studs and spikes (no piercings that I know of, though), and probably a Woven Fear T-shirt, hanging around the Warhammer stuff. He'll probably be shy, but let 'im know I sent ya :smallwink: :smalltongue:
It's a real bummer... I would've loved to join that TF2 game, but on the other hand there's no way I would've been lugging my whole computer up there with me anyway.

Hairb
2008-07-01, 05:55 AM
Pretty psyched up about it, I must say. Especially since this will be my first convention. I just wish I'd pull my finger out a few months back and preregistered so I wouldn't have to worry about what I can and can't get tickets to.

Any advice for a first timer?

Klose_the_Sith
2008-07-02, 05:56 AM
GAH!

FLAIL!

It starts tomorrow and finishes the day before I get to da brizzle

:smallfrown:

Agamid
2008-07-02, 07:14 AM
Won't be there... am trying to save my money for my trip to canberra in august...

Am trying to get Danzaver to go though, he likes his little warhammer dollies and GenCon has a lot of them.

The Duskblade
2008-07-02, 01:01 PM
By a stroke of luck the acursed 22 hour drive will put me in the area. So I am hopful I am able to attend. Well the trip starts in approxiamatly 7 min. Hopfully seeya there.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-07-02, 08:10 PM
Won't be there... am trying to save my money for my trip to canberra in august...

Am trying to get Danzaver to go though, he likes his little warhammer dollies and GenCon has a lot of them.

Yay Canberra!

Nebo_
2008-07-06, 05:23 AM
I got back from GenCon about two hours ago. Overall, it was a lot of fun; I spent the first day wandering randomly between the booths and exhibitions and generally checking things out. Day two was mostly seminars on gaming and board games. I played in the Team Fortress 2 Competition on Friday night and my team took out first place. I played in the Warmachine Steamroller tournament on Saturday and came 18th of 37. Not bad for my first tournament, I think. Most of the players were great, with a few exceptions. I played in some of the 4e mini adventures today, and to be honest, I would have been turned off 4e if that was my first experience with it. The DMs were awful and the adventures were boring.

I will definitely be going next year and I'll be playing in the WM Hardcore tournament.

SilverSheriff
2008-07-06, 06:35 AM
I slept in and missed it on the last day... DAMN!
We have to organize a meet-up for the next Aussie GenCon...