PDA

View Full Version : Mirari [Race]

Reinboom
2008-04-20, 05:54 AM
Mirari

The Mirari are a crystalline based fey who originally existed in subterranean environments, though tend to migrate in small groups to the above world due to their crystalline food source slowly depleting, among other reasons.

Personality

Mirari are normally a slightly more serious race in comparison to many other fey. Though they carry themselves with a childish demeanor, enjoying the fun and fancy free portion of life, they can be quite sly, very cunning, and can easily step in to or out of line when it would be most beneficial for them to do so. Otherwise, the Mirari are as variable as most humanoids, allowing occurrences such as even a mirari paladin existing.

Physical Description

Mirari are very small, standing between 3 feet to 3 and a half feet tall. They closely resemble a female elf child except the have a slight blue hue to their skin and hair, usually yellow eyes, and small crystals forming from their upper backs. Due to their rarity in many areas they may quickly be taken for an odd child even when confronted up close.

Mirari usually come of maturity between the ages of 16 to 18, though a Mirari appears as an adult from the age of 10. The mirari also live a lot longer than other races, aging to around 180 years of age.

There are no male mirari. Mirari can produce young from their crystals normally once every 10 to 20 years with another mirari. A child takes a year to form. They do not keep long term mates, normally, though it does occasionally occur. Breeding with another race is unheard of and is considered impossible without magical assistance, though a few mirari have considered another creature of a different race as a mate, no known children came of such.

Mirari eat, sleep, and breath. Though, they may eat either standard food, gems, or crystals.

They are based on the images (http://pifro.com/tempmove/filter.php?F=fey). (Note of caution, may be considered showy or revealing to many, though it isn't explicit)

Relations

Mirari tend to not build a significant relationship with others as a race. In small amounts, they are viewed as children, or when realized what they are, as just simply creepy or odd. In larger areas of mixed diversities, they may be viewed as just another race. In all cases however, the cruel and unjust who know anything about the mirari tend to view to try to keep away whenever possible, or even try to single out and remove before the mirari can 'see' them. Mirari also tend to make excellent ambassadors and diplomats, or just general negotiators.

Alignment

Due to their soul sight, mirari tend to weed out the unjust of their own kind. For this reason, they tend to either be good or neutral. Evil mirari can still occur, however. Mirari usually favor chaotic more so than lawful, hinting towards their fey nature, however this is only a minor tendency and lawful mirari can be almost as common as a chaotic mirari.

Lore

Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) if the mirari have migrated to the area, Knowledge (dungeoneering) if the mirari exist in the current subterranean location, or Knowledge (arcana) if the mirari have a significant impact on a previous or current arcane influence can research the mirari to learn more about them. The following lore information, and all information from lower DCs is revealed with the appropriate knowledge check.

{table="head"]DC|Result
13|This creature is a Mirari, a fey who existed originally in caverns below ground. A sly and nimble race that is inherently resistant to the cold, but is very weak physically.
18|The Mirari are natural spellcasters and manifesters, and as such, even the weakest of the mirari are usually a significant power in of itself. Their eyes can also read emotions.
23|Mirari are amazing diplomats as an extremely influential creature. Further, a few more powerful Mirari can actually view the intentions of either good or evil by peering deeply in to a creature's soul through their eyes. It is rare that a mirari would turn heel, either, having an extremely strong mental willpower as a race.[/table]

Mirari Racial Traits

-4 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, +6 Charisma
Small Size Fey
A Mirari's base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Miraris can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Racial Feats: A Mirari gains Iron Will as a bonus feat.
+1 natural armor bonus
+4 racial bonus to resist mind affecting spells and effects
Racial Skills: Miraris have a +2 racial bonus on bluff, concentration, diplomacy, intimidate, and sense motive checks. They also always treat sense motive as a class skill
Special Qualities: soul sight, natural spellcasters/natural manifesters, cold resistance 10
Automatic Languages: Sylvan
Mirari Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon, Draconic, Terran
Favored Class: Beguiler, Psion, or Sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +2

Soul Sight (Su)

The Mirari can see in to the metaphorical heart of those it makes eye contact with. The Mirari become aware of the current emotional or core psychological state of who it sees in to, this effect is similar to that of a gaze attack except that it is nonharmful and the creature it makes eye contact with does not realize the mirari is looking in to them.

The Mirari can detect the following:

Apathy
Anger
Bliss/Euphoria
Contentment
Dementia/Active Insanity
Disdain
Excitement/Thrill
Fear
Lust
Hunger
Nervous
Satisfaction
Sorrow
Tired

Further, a Mirari of at least 5 hit die can spend a full round action to try to see if a creature's current intentions, in respect to how the character views itself, lean towards good, neutral, or evil with a successful sense motive check (versus a bluff). The mirari gain a +4 bonus to this check. This action makes the opposing creature aware that the mirari is trying to do something through their eyes. This may be confused with a spell or an active gaze attack if they are unaware of the capabilities of a mirari.

Creatures without souls or who are a single entity with their soul, such as most constructs, undead, or outsiders, are immune to the effects of this ability.

Natural Spellcaster

A Mirari gains new spells per day and spells known as if she had also gained two additional levels of the first spellcasting class she takes. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. A mirari who gains this benefit can not gain the benefit of natural manifester.

Natural Manifester

A Mirari gains additional power points per day, an increase to manifester level, and access to new powers as if she had also gained two additional levels of the first manifesting class she takes. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. A mirari who gains this benefit can not gain the benefit of natural spellcaster.

No Buyoff

If the game is using a LA buy off rule, the 2 level adjustment inherent within the Mirari are considered part of your class levels and can not be bought off. Any further level adjustment, such as from templates, can be.

====
Things to note:

First note, I did not take the word Mirari from the MtG card. Mirari is latin for 'to marvel at', wonder, or to admire.

I remove D&D alignments in nearly every form from my games. I enjoy having complicated allegiance and political games not being broken by 'detect evil'. However, I liked being able to still look in to someone. So, soul sight is my middle grounds - since not many evil people would actually view themselves as actually evil.

I'm letting a player run this in my current campaign, and thus far, it is going fairly well. However, the game is currently more heavily role-play based for the time being that the mirari has been in it. So, mechanical balances are still iffy ish.

This is intended to be a glass cannon race, yes. This is also an attempt to try to make a LA race that is quite playable.

This is still in the works, so, definitely any comments are welcome.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-20, 06:22 AM
I like these very much. Soulsight is a very good idea in particular, and the natural casting helps balance out the normal problems of casting and LA.

One thing - would a character be aware that their soul was being looked at? If it's like light, they wouldn't, because it would be based on the aura reaching out from the target, but there's certainly precedent for the said character being aware of it, and phrasing it as a gaze attack would suggest it as such.

Reinboom
2008-04-20, 04:35 PM
I shall definitely add in a statement to define or not. I believe if you are peering at their intents, then yes, otherwise - no.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 05:38 PM
I THINK THAT TAKING ALIGNMENT OUT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA.
I CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE THAT IT IS VERY HARD TO MANIPULATE THE HEROES IF THEY KNOW A CERTAIN NPC IS EVIL.:smallannoyed:

Triaxx
2008-04-22, 05:54 PM
Huh, and I was thinking this was based on Aidyn Chronicles. Still pretty darn cool.

This is like the ultimate Sorceror race. I can't wait for a new campaign cycle so I can play one.

Obscurejones
2008-04-22, 06:18 PM
It seems balanced but a Sorcerer with this race would be scary as hell.:smalleek:

Mr Bojangles
2008-05-01, 08:46 PM
Red is my reply.

Mirari

The Mirari are a crystalline based fey who originally existed in subterranean environments, though tend to migrate in small groups to the above world due to their crystalline food source slowly depleting, among other reasons.

Personality

Mirari are normally a slightly more serious race in comparison to many other fey. Though they carry themselves with a childish demeanor, enjoying the fun and fancy free portion of life, they can be quite sly, very cunning, and can easily step in to or out of lineWhat do you mean by this? when it would be most beneficial for them to do so. Otherwise, the Mirari are as variable as most humanoids, allowing occurrences such as even a mirari paladin existing.

Physical Description

Mirari are very small, standing between 3 feet to 3 and a half feet tall. They closely resemble a female elf child except the have a slight blue hue to their skin and hair, usually yellow eyes, and small crystals forming from their upper backs. Due to their rarity in many areas they may quickly be taken for an odd child even when confronted up close.

Mirari usually come of maturity between the ages of 16 to 18, though a Mirari appears as an adult from the age of 10. The mirari also live a lot longer than other races, aging to around 180 years of age.

There are no male mirari. Mirari can produce young from their crystals normally once every 10 to 20 years with another mirari. A child takes a year to form. They do not keep long term mates, normally, though it does occasionally occur. Breeding with another race is unheard of and is considered impossible without magical assistance, though a few mirari have considered another creature of a different race as a mate, no known children came of such.So far the fluff is fine, don't see any problems.

Mirari eat, sleep, and breath. Though, they may eat either standard food, gems, or crystals. If I were raised in my fey community to eat gems, etc, why would I want to switch to regular food? Besides to keep me from eating my treasure. Point is, it isn't much of a unique trait, I think, if they are raised to eat precious gems and crystals, but then don't.

They are based on the images (http://pifro.com/tempmove/filter.php?F=fey). (Note of caution, may be considered showy or revealing to many, though it isn't explicit)

Relations

Mirari tend to not build a significant relationship with others as a race. In small amounts, they are viewed as children, or when realized what they are, as just simply creepy or odd. In larger areas of mixed diversities, they may be viewed as just another race. In all cases however, the cruel and unjust who know anything about the mirari tend to view to try to keep away whenever possible, or even try to single out and remove before the mirari can 'see' them. Mirari also tend to make excellent ambassadors and diplomats, or just general negotiators.

Alignment

Due to their soul sight, mirari tend to weed out the unjust of their own kind. For this reason, they tend to either be good or neutral. Evil mirari can still occur, however. Mirari usually favor chaotic more so than lawful, hinting towards their fey nature, however this is only a minor tendency and lawful mirari can be almost as common as a chaotic mirari.

Lore

Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) if the mirari have migrated to the area, Knowledge (dungeoneering) if the mirari exist in the current subterranean location, or Knowledge (arcana) if the mirari have a significant impact on a previous or current arcane influence can research the mirari to learn more about them. The following lore information, and all information from lower DCs is revealed with the appropriate knowledge check.

{table="head"]DC|Result
13|This creature is a Mirari, a fey who existed originally in caverns below ground. A sly and nimble race that is inherently resistant to the cold, but is very weak physically.
18|The Mirari are natural spellcasters and manifesters, and as such, even the weakest of the mirari are usually a significant power in of itself. Their eyes can also read emotions.
23|Mirari are amazing diplomats as an extremely influential creature. Further, a few more powerful Mirari can actually view the intentions of either good or evil by peering deeply in to a creature's soul through their eyes. It is rare that a mirari would turn heel, either, having an extremely strong mental willpower as a race.[/table]

Mirari Racial Traits

-4 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, +6 Charisma
Small Size Fey
A Mirari's base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Miraris can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Racial Feats: A Mirari gains Iron Will as a bonus feat.
+1 natural armor bonus
+4 racial bonus to resist mind affecting spells and effects
Racial Skills: Miraris have a +2 racial bonus on bluff, concentration, diplomacy, intimidate, and sense motive checks. They also always treat sense motive as a class skill
Special Qualities: soul sight, natural spellcasters/natural manifesters, cold resistance 10
Automatic Languages: Sylvan
Mirari Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon, Draconic, Terran
Favored Class: Beguiler, Psion, or Sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +2

Soul Sight (Su)
Interesting ability, but why don't you just give them Empathy, as a spell-like ability at will? It would cover everything you've listed, but just make it much less complicated.

The Mirari can see in to the metaphorical heart of those it makes eye contact with. The Mirari become aware of the current emotional or core psychological state of who it sees in to, this effect is similar to that of a gaze attack except that it is nonharmful and the creature it makes eye contact with does not realize the mirari is looking in to them.

The Mirari can detect the following:

Apathy
Anger
Bliss/Euphoria
Contentment
Dementia/Active Insanity
Disdain
Excitement/Thrill
Fear
Lust
Hunger
Nervous
Satisfaction
Sorrow
Tired

Further, a Mirari of at least 5 hit die can spend a full round action to try to see if a creature's current intentions, in respect to how the character views itself, lean towards good, neutral, or evil with a successful sense motive check (versus a bluff). The mirari gain a +4 bonus to this check. This action makes the opposing creature aware that the mirari is trying to do something through their eyes. This may be confused with a spell or an active gaze attack if they are unaware of the capabilities of a mirari.

Creatures without souls or who are a single entity with their soul, such as most constructs, undead, or outsiders, are immune to the effects of this ability.

Natural Spellcaster
While I can understand the effort to make this race unique, I just think this isn't quite as balanced as it could be. Any time a race gives free casting levels, I don't think it works. Why would anyone ever make a non-caster Mirari? For that matter, why isn't the entire culture Sorcerers/Mani festers?

A Mirari gains new spells per day and spells known as if she had also gained two additional levels of the first spellcasting class she takes. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. A mirari who gains this benefit can not gain the benefit of natural manifester.

Natural Manifester

A Mirari gains additional power points per day, an increase to manifester level, and access to new powers as if she had also gained two additional levels of the first manifesting class she takes. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. A mirari who gains this benefit can not gain the benefit of natural spellcaster.

No Buyoff

If the game is using a LA buy off rule, the 2 level adjustment inherent within the Mirari are considered part of your class levels and can not be bought off. Any further level adjustment, such as from templates, can be.

====
Things to note:

First note, I did not take the word Mirari from the MtG card. Mirari is latin for 'to marvel at', wonder, or to admire.

I remove D&D alignments in nearly every form from my games. I enjoy having complicated allegiance and political games not being broken by 'detect evil'. However, I liked being able to still look in to someone. So, soul sight is my middle grounds - since not many evil people would actually view themselves as actually evil.

I'm letting a player run this in my current campaign, and thus far, it is going fairly well. However, the game is currently more heavily role-play based for the time being that the mirari has been in it. So, mechanical balances are still iffy ish.

This is intended to be a glass cannon race, yes. This is also an attempt to try to make a LA race that is quite playable.

This is still in the works, so, definitely any comments are welcome.

Ok, so all in all it's a good race. I really like the concept, and I think there could very possibly be a race of fey that could easily pierce through the "soul".

Reinboom
2008-05-05, 11:31 PM
I didn't even realize this had replies.

"enjoying the fun and fancy free portion of life, they can be quite sly, very cunning, and can easily step in to or out of lineWhat do you mean by this? when it would be most beneficial for them to do so."

--
As in, a Mirari can be a soldier if they are needed to be a soldier, then, when the job is done, still be able to 'frolic'. Quick changers.

"Mirari eat, sleep, and breath. Though, they may eat either standard food, gems, or crystals. If I were raised in my fey community to eat gems, etc, why would I want to switch to regular food? Besides to keep me from eating my treasure. Point is, it isn't much of a unique trait, I think, if they are raised to eat precious gems and crystals, but then don't."

--
This is overflow from my campaign. I needed them to be able to survive above as well as below ground. The idea is that they migrated to the above ground after a shortage, and adapted to consume 'normal food'. Personally, I like "left over" racial traits, they add a little bit of history to the race mechanically.

"Soul Sight (Su)
Interesting ability, but why don't you just give them Empathy, as a spell-like ability at will? It would cover everything you've listed, but just make it much less complicated."

--
This ability has been changed over a dozen times. I, personally, like definition. I wanted a clear list. Also, I wanted it to be an eyesight specific thing. More specifically, I wanted the idea of a "strange little girl who gazes in to your eyes and pierces your soul".

"Natural Spellcaster
While I can understand the effort to make this race unique, I just think this isn't quite as balanced as it could be. Any time a race gives free casting levels, I don't think it works. Why would anyone ever make a non-caster Mirari? For that matter, why isn't the entire culture Sorcerers/Mani festers?"

I never thought of including noncasters mirari, to be honest. My thought for the entire race was "even the 'commers' are adepts."
Though, I'm now considering adding in Incarnum, just because I feel it would fit the flavor while still adding more possibilities to this thing.

So far, it's working out decently balanced.

black dragoon
2008-05-06, 12:20 PM
They vaugley remind me of a race I want to design for my own setting. Though these are much more pleasent to deal with.:smallwink:
The natural spellcaster thing may be a bit much I agree but overall very nicely worked.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-06, 02:26 PM
Chainer, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Anyway, it's a very sorcerer based race, like, literally. It reminds me of a lower LA Rakshasa, albeit very different.