PDA

View Full Version : LA for a Powerful Race?

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-22, 12:07 AM
Out of curiosity, what would the LA for a race with +4 to all physical attributes and the Human's feat and skill bonuses be, roughly? +1 or +2, or higher than that?

sikyon
2008-04-22, 12:12 AM
+4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con and 1 extra feat and +1 skill point/level...

I'd say around +2 LA to make it playable.

(In a normal sourcebook you'd probably find the LA to be higher, but by far and large most things with LA are not worth it)

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-04-22, 12:41 AM
+4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con and 1 extra feat and +1 skill point/level...

I'd say around +2 LA to make it playable.

(In a normal sourcebook you'd probably find the LA to be higher, but by far and large most things with LA are not worth it)
If it's +2 LA, it's going to be unplayable until higher levels, I think. Compared to a same-ECL Human, it would have +2 to hit, +2 or +3 damage, +2 AC, +2 HP/level, and +2 to two saves at the expense of -2 levels of BAB, which would probably be -2 to hit, negating that bonus, -1 or -2/3 to all saves, -2 to all non-physical skills, -2 hit dice (probably big ones), and it would be two levels behind when dealing with feats and class abilities.

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-22, 12:58 AM
Thanks, guys. I just needed to know around what a race for my campaign would clock in, so they don't tip the scales too much for/against the side they're on.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-04-22, 01:55 PM
Probably +2 LA for a PC although the ECS Magebred template which can be applied to animals and a few other things provides pretty much the same things at +0LA. +2 NAC, Excellent Learner easier to train, an additional special quality to movement, armor or tracking, raised/minimal intelligence, an extra feat and +2, +2, +4 to physical attributes.

Remember in point buy generation those bonuses to abilities are normally going to enhance the best PC ability scores which are usually at 14+ so each +1 is equal to 2 or 3 points in point buy.

12 additional points applied to 25 point generation with three base 14s is equal to an additional +30 points in point buy.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-04-22, 02:08 PM
If it's +2 LA, it's going to be unplayable until higher levels, I think. Compared to a same-ECL Human, it would have +2 to hit, +2 or +3 damage, +2 AC, +2 HP/level, and +2 to two saves at the expense of -2 levels of BAB, which would probably be -2 to hit, negating that bonus, -1 or -2/3 to all saves, -2 to all non-physical skills, -2 hit dice (probably big ones), and it would be two levels behind when dealing with feats and class abilities.

And so is pretty much any other LA 2 character, LA just hurts, especially for magic users, but this race is geared towards fighting anyway.

I think LA 2 is right, if you think it's to weak for LA 2 you can give it some other bonus like +1 NAT AC

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-04-22, 02:25 PM
And so is pretty much any other LA 2 character, LA just hurts, especially for magic users, but this race is geared towards fighting anyway.

I think LA 2 is right, if you think it's to weak for LA 2 you can give it some other bonus like +1 NAT AC
If you're going to go with LA+2, I'd at least give it Toughness as a racial bonus feat, maybe twice. That way people can play it at low ECL without having no hitpoints despite playing a "powerful race".