PDA

View Full Version : A question about an anime/manga trope

Stormthorn
2008-04-22, 10:53 PM
Ok, so how many cute pseudo-human girls with funny ears and names-that-are-sounds are there?

The megatokyo comic has Ping. And Chobits has Chii. Elfin Lied has Nyu.

They all share some traits (those mentioned above) and at least Ping and Nyu have the ability to demonstrate their descidedly non-human side in various disturbing manners.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-22, 11:17 PM
I don't see how Chii and Nyuu are sounds.

Tengu
2008-04-22, 11:19 PM
Nyu is one of the sounds a cat makes.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-22, 11:29 PM
Nyu is one of the sounds a cat makes.

That's nya.

Tengu
2008-04-22, 11:31 PM
Hence "one of the sounds", not "the sound". I'm 100% positive the author of Elfen Lied wanted us to think of a cat's meowing when it comes to this sound.

thubby
2008-04-22, 11:38 PM
chibi catgirls? they number in the millions.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-04-23, 12:25 AM
I don't see how Chii and Nyuu are sounds.
I agree, I don't think those names are actually onomatopoetic the way Ping is. Chi sort of is, because at first it's the only thing she says, but that's stretching it a bit. Nyuu's name is probably meant to evoke the sounds cats make, but I don't recall ever seeing it used specifically in that fashion.

As for the ear thing, Ping is very obviously modeled after the Chobits type persocom, which is why they're similar. Probably accounts for the name/sound thing as well, though as I mentioned it's manifested differently in each character. Pretty much any time an android/artificial person type character in a manga or anime has "ears" like that it's pretty much a guaranteed homage to Chobits. Especially if those ears house interface ports of some sort. Of course, the Chobits ears are fairly clearly a nod to nekomimi (catgirls).

Nyuu's horns have a parallel but separate evolution from nekomimi, but I think also are to imply the near demonic nature of the diclonius.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-23, 02:04 AM
I'm sure that Nyu has said "nyu" at one point but that may just be me getting Elfen Lied confused with Pokemon (as it is evidently easy to do :smallbiggrin:).

thubby
2008-04-23, 02:52 AM
I'm sure that Nyu has said "nyu" at one point but that may just be me getting Elfen Lied confused with Pokemon (as it is evidently easy to do :smallbiggrin:).

its ALL she says when she's not in psycho mode. and she usually does act like a house pet (at least at first 0,o)

Stormthorn
2008-04-23, 08:47 AM
Chii and Nyuu

Niether of them could speak at the time they made these noises. So, while not clasical noises like bam or pow, they are still just sounds.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-04-23, 10:32 AM
Well the name chii makes sense if you don't take it for a sound meaning and use it for its original definition.

SPOILERS

Chi (or at least the character for chi) can stand for something small or tiny. For those of you who have read the series this makes sense. Chii is the youngest of the Chobits and compared to the other perso coms, has small computer based functions compared to them.

Now while many of you may believe Nyu is based off the sound a cat makes, I would like to point out that Nya is the sound that cats make and would probably be written as it.

The definition of Nyuu can be the word for milk (not cow's milk however, which is gyuunyu, but just milk of unknown origin).

Oslecamo
2008-04-23, 02:53 PM
Chi (or at least the character for chi) can stand for something small or tiny. For those of you who have read the series this makes sense. Chii is the youngest of the Chobits and compared to the other perso coms, has small computer based functions compared to them.

(more spoilers!)

Chi just has the freacking best firewall in the world, wich makes examining her memory almost impossible.

As for computing power, she can pretty much crack down any other perso com that tries to defy her.

Not to mention the ability to learn by herself, while being uber cute.

Stormthorn
2008-04-23, 07:08 PM
*blink blink*

Can you give specific examples in a similar vain to these characters?

Kojiro Kakita
2008-04-23, 11:21 PM
Just pointing out that to really understand the names behind characters, it is sometimes important to understand the way the names are written (Kanji, Katakana, Hirigana, etc).
Sometimes, the Kanji base name of a character reveals more about the character than it would in Hirigana.

@Oslecamo
However, in a nutshell, Chi is not supposed to be a comp at heart, she is supposed to be a person.

After all, in some ways she is supposed to be the daughter of the landlady (originally could not have kids so her husband created the Chobits for her).

LBO
2008-04-24, 02:06 AM
Take it to YKTTW and you'll find out just how many. :smallamused:

However... "Ask not the Tropers a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

Oslecamo
2008-04-24, 09:20 AM
@Oslecamo
However, in a nutshell, Chi is not supposed to be a comp at heart, she is supposed to be a person.

After all, in some ways she is supposed to be the daughter of the landlady (originally could not have kids so her husband created the Chobits for her).

That is one way of seeing it. The way I see it, Chobits are the ultimate dolls, created by a mad cientist to make her beloved wife happy.

They were programed to fall in love with their "special one" because, well, every mother wants to see her daughter married and happy.

And all perso coms are programed to look like persons anyway. That's why they aren't called robots.

For example, several other characters during the story fall in love with normal persocoms,and the persocoms would respond to their feelings,specially the case of that guy who ended marrying his own persocom.

During all the series, one of the main themes is the thin line between humans and persocoms.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-24, 01:16 PM
That is one way of seeing it. The way I see it, Chobits are the ultimate dolls, created by a mad cientist to make her beloved wife happy.

They were programed to fall in love with their "special one" because, well, every mother wants to see her daughter married and happy.

And all perso coms are programed to look like persons anyway. That's why they aren't called robots.

And here I thought it was a lame pun on the Japanese shortening of "personal computer."

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-24, 01:46 PM
And here I thought it was a lame pun on the Japanese shortening of "personal computer."

Ah, but CLAMP are at their deepest when they're making lame puns :smallamused:

Oh look, I can make lame and obscure puns in Katakana and Greek:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Closet_Skeleton/Chi-rho.jpg

But yeah, the Japanese use the term "persucon" instead of PC all the time.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-04-24, 08:27 PM
Yeah Closet, that was ahh, interesting.