PDA

View Full Version : iPod Video Help

Green Bean
2008-04-23, 01:02 PM
School time is drawing to a close for me, so I'm heading back to visit my parents for a while. While I'm looking forward to this, I can't say the same thing about the travel time. I have a video iPod, so I figured I could while away the hours watching some of my DVDs, but for some reason, iTunes isn't reading the discs and won't let me transfer them. They work just fine when I play them on my computer, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the discs themselves. Any tech-savvy posters' advice would be welcome.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-23, 01:56 PM
School time is drawing to a close for me, so I'm heading back to visit my parents for a while. While I'm looking forward to this, I can't say the same thing about the travel time. I have a video iPod, so I figured I could while away the hours watching some of my DVDs, but for some reason, iTunes isn't reading the discs and won't let me transfer them. They work just fine when I play them on my computer, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the discs themselves. Any tech-savvy posters' advice would be welcome.

To get a DVD running on an iPod, you must first convert it to a mp4 file, since that's practically the only video file that it knows how to play.

http://ipodlegends.com/how-to-convert-a-dvd-to-ipod-mp4-for-free/

Green Bean
2008-04-23, 05:53 PM
To get a DVD running on an iPod, you must first convert it to a mp4 file, since that's practically the only video file that it knows how to play.

http://ipodlegends.com/how-to-convert-a-dvd-to-ipod-mp4-for-free/

Thanks for the link; it worked like a charm. It's weird, though, that you can't just download the files straight off the disc. Is there copyright law involved?

bluish_wolf
2008-04-23, 07:06 PM
Who knows? The iPod is really an mp3 player at heart, so the fact that it can only play a limited number of formats is to be expected.

Obrysii
2008-04-23, 07:32 PM
Is there copyright law involved?

Yes.

And technically, any program that can pull video off a DVD and into another format is illegal, too, due to copywrite law.