PDA

View Full Version : Guillermo del Toro helms The Hobbit.

Darken Rahl
2008-04-25, 07:38 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24302180/

I don't think I could have thought of a better director since PJ isn't doing it himself.

Now I'm excited!!

DraPrime
2008-04-25, 07:43 AM
I don't like this. But then again I seem to be the only person on the planet who doesn't like Guillermo.

Haruki-kun
2008-04-25, 07:46 AM
W00T! I can't wait to watch it! :smallbiggrin:

DomaDoma
2008-04-25, 08:03 AM
Pan's Labyrinth is an achingly beautiful piece, and one of my two favorite movies of all time. But that tone really doesn't suit The Hobbit.

Darken Rahl
2008-04-25, 08:40 AM
Guillermo can change his tone, Hellboy is irreverent and comic-esque, which is very unlike the dark drama of Pan's.

He's not exactly prolific, but he's coming into his own.

Mr. Scaly
2008-04-25, 09:46 AM
As long as the movie is being made, I'll reserve judgement on the director until it's out.

Verruckt
2008-04-25, 12:53 PM
I don't like this. But then again I seem to be the only person on the planet who doesn't like Guillermo.

pretty much.

also, there were rumors he was heading up a derivation of some of Lovecraft's stuff for the bigscreen. If the HB2 trailer is any indication he's got the giant tentacle thing down pat. Also it should be noted that his effects shop is essentially Spain's WETA

EvilElitest
2008-04-25, 01:44 PM
Hellboy, Mimic and Devil's backbone weren't good, but Pan was amazing, so i'm actually enthusiastic, as he is shown to have a better eye than PJ

from
EE

Haruki-kun
2008-04-25, 11:34 PM
As long as the movie is being made, I'll reserve judgement on the director until it's out.

I'm going to agree with you on that. Might as well wait to actually watch it.

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-25, 11:41 PM
That...is...AWESOME!!!

EvilElitest
2008-04-26, 09:05 AM
That...is...AWESOME!!!

I know, PJ is good at some things i admit, and has an amazing prop crew, but he isn't a very good director. This guy is
from
EE

poleboy
2008-04-26, 10:54 AM
Hey, it can't be any worse than Blade 2 :D

Burrito
2008-04-26, 06:30 PM
Eh, not sure I really care who does the movie, as long as it is good. I have seen really good directors make some really crappy movies, and there are times when lousy directors have the stars align and make good movies. I think it is going to be hard for them to make a movie with the shadow of Jackson's Rings looming over them. The Hobbit has a totally different feel than the Rings books. I don't want a conglomeration of producers and directors to devour the Rings moves and then collectively try and crap out the Hobbit.

dehro
2008-04-27, 08:10 AM
I've got a feeling that putting PJ and Del Toro in one room is going to be a dangerous bet... it's going to either work out incredibly and produce a masterpiece, or it's going to be a clash of characters... and produce a dungheap
playing it safe would probably have meant putting a "straw" director in the seat and have PJ doing most of the work and dictating the pace and style.
I'm not sure wich way I would've gone, if it had been my call.
the prospect of these two guys working together is intriguing, however.

forestthegreat
2008-04-28, 01:56 AM

Well, you're not alone.
I do like Guillermo, but I don't like this idea at all. I mean, why do they even need him along as one of the crew?
What is he going to do, turn the Misty Mountains into some kind of subtarannean hell equipped with dancing flames and headless bodies?
He doesn't deserve to just jump into this project! :smallmad:
Oh well. I guess I'll still go see it, but he better not influence the direction of the film too much... :smallannoyed:

forestthegreat
2008-04-28, 02:05 AM
Hey, it can't be any worse than Blade 2 :D

Haha :P
That's for sure.
But, in all seriousness, it sure had better be much better than Blade 2.
Or else we'll have to orchestrate some kind of protest, and a boycott.
Yeah, definately. :smallwink:

dehro
2008-04-29, 10:06 AM
on second thoughts...there's a second thing that's bugging me.

will they work with some sort of stylistic continuity with the movies of LOTR, or will they consider the fact that The Hobbit was a much earlier work, with a much less "clouded" atmosphere, and most importantly, aimed for different people and written in quite a different fashion and with a different purpose than LOTR...?? (after all the hobbit is much more of a children story than LOTR ever was and I feel this should be reflected in the movie)

waddaya think?...
my two cents: by watching Pan's labyrinth, I have the feeling that Del Toro talks to adult public better than to children...and I wonder how this will impact his work on the hobbit