PDA

View Full Version : Warlock and Binder, two foul tastes that taste unholy together

kamikasei
2008-04-25, 02:12 PM
So, these two classes sure have compatible fluff, and not entirely incompatible mechanics (with Binders' at-will-given-cooldown powers). After reading yet another mention of "take a dip in Binder to go into Hellfire Warlock" over on the Wizards' boards, I'm wondering how far you could go in just merging the classes. Binder is often said to be well balanced while Warlocks, barring careful exploitation of the latest supplements, are a bit below par; if you were making a bindlock, what features would you take from which?

The easy and obvious option would be giving warlocks full binding progression or making binders full invokers. Either is probably a bit too strong. Perhaps we could take binders, lose some of their proficiencies, give them eldritch blast, and let them choose one invocation per vestige bound, freely changeable per day (or giving each vestige a list of associated invocations)?

Possibly this is a Homebrew thing - I'm not sure, since I'm not really looking to build a class, more wondering how far either existing class could be powered up by nicking features from the other.

Chronos
2008-04-25, 02:45 PM
Note that, while warlocks don't qualify for Anima Mage, if you can somehow qualify for Anima Mage through other means (a 1-level dip in a caster class with Precocious Apprentice, say), you can advance warlock with it.

Draz74
2008-04-25, 02:49 PM
Seems the easiest thing would be to give Warlocks an Effective Binder level equal to half their level. Barring Hellfire Warlock/etc., that seems like it would be a pretty balanced class.

Hario
2008-04-25, 02:56 PM
Just make a Chameleon-esque PrC that lets them bind a power into an invocation, I doubt there could be anything more gamebreaking than anything else, even if you allowed them to change their invocation once per day.

Stycotl
2008-04-25, 04:15 PM
i like the complete scoundrel feats that combine aspects of various classes, like 'swift hunter' and some of the others. a warlock-binder feat could be very, very cool. i will look into making one. though i'm not sure what class abilities would be worth transfering, without making them overpowering. as i said, i will look into it, but until then, if anyone has suggestions, suggest away.