PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Thread of Tourism!

Falconer
2008-04-25, 05:50 PM
As it says in the title, this is the glorious thread of tourism-ness-itudity.

Pretty much just to talk about any foreign countries you've visited or want to visit.

Personally, I've always wanted to go to Australia (I've got friends from there and from the descriptions it sounds nice).

Germany seems awesome, too. Mostly just 'cause I've always liked the language.

Mordokai
2008-04-25, 06:12 PM
Germany seems awesome, too. Mostly just 'cause I've always liked the language.

One of the few. With all respect to Pete and CSK, that is :smallsmile:

Me, I have plans of visiting Greece and Sweden, somewhere in near future. Greece, beautiful country with pleasant people. And I'd like to meat Rogue in person. Sweden because, from what I hear, I look like Viking and supposedly hail from Sweden :smallbiggrin: From what I hear, my greatgreatgreatgrandpappy(or something like that :smalltongue: ) was from Sweden. So, I have to visit it. Almost mandatory :smallsmile:

InaVegt
2008-04-25, 06:20 PM
Mordokai: CSK is Austrian, not German. I'm not 100% sure, but I though Pete wasn't German either.

Also, You should totally go to eastern Europe, it's cheap and has lotsa nice nature.

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-25, 06:26 PM
I'm from good old Oz, I can highly recommend that you visit, Mordokai.

Personally, I've always wanted to go to Scotland, Ireland and China, and they are all being fulfilled this and next year:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:!

The school trip to China is in September, and my parents told me I could pick a destination because it's practically the last family holiday we'll get before I leave school and go to Uni, so I chose to tour around Scotland and Ireland for a couple weeks.

EvilElitest
2008-04-25, 06:41 PM
China is cunning because they always seem facinated with Americans

Japan is meh, cool country side, lots of cool tech

the Phillipies are very nice

Holland reminds me of Canda for some reason

France is really nice, but they are always mean to me

England is cool but with bad weather. Whales is nicer i think.

India is very nice if overly crowded on the trains

i've only been in Mexico for an hour

I 've always been interested in Sealand

Germany is amazing, one of my favorite countries

Russia is nice through i've only been in St. Petersburg

The crazy lunch times in Madrid is cool

Italy is wonderful in weather

Greece is very nice, through they seem to hate the turks

As of such, my vist to Turkey is interesting

I like travelling
from
EE

InaVegt
2008-04-25, 06:42 PM
EE: Holland sucks, the Nethersaxon areas are so much better.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-25, 06:54 PM
Amsterdam is pretty nice, Gezina. At least if you can develop selective blindness to prostitutes and pushers. I wouldn't know about the rest of the Netherlands as i have only been through it.

The favorite place among the many i've been is London though. It is just the city for those of us on this side of the Atlantic. Like New York is to the western side of it. It might not be the most beautiful city ever, but that is about the only bad thing about it. It is easy to find good food, there is nothing you can't buy and the museums are just magnificent. Really for the classic reasons of going to a city as a tourist nothing is better than London.

Unless it is for architecture in which case Prague is a good candidate. It is the single most beautiful city i've ever been to. Especially the view to the west when crossing the Charles' Bridge is magnificent in the evening when the castle is lit by the city below.

Danzaver
2008-04-25, 07:00 PM
I have been to South Korea and I spent 3 years growing up in Papua New Guinea (man... the stories I could tell you would just amaze ANYONE who hasn't been there before. It is in no way similar anything a westerner understands), but other than that I have never left Australia. :smallfrown:

I really want to go to Germany and Scotland, the premier being my favourite location for medieval history (my consuming passion), and the latter being the place of my ancestry.

I would also love to go to Turkey, to see the Byzantine cathedrals-come-mosques.

England and the Czech republic for the Churches (the latter for the castles as well - not to mention the bone cathedral!).

I'm not sure what country exists where Prussia and the Teutonic Kingdoms used to lie, but I would like to visit it for the Red-brick Teutonic Castles (there are about 100 of them - they had this wonderful way of building castles no more than 30 miles away from eachother so they were all about 1 day away from a relief army in case of siege).

I also don't know where Marienburg is, but I want to find out and visit what is left of the great fortified city that was the capital of the Teutonic Knights.

Someday, someday. :smallwink:

EDIT: I am NOT interested in ever going to Iraq, Pakistan, Israel, or anywhere else dangerous, naturally.
The only thing that could convince me to visit Amercia is to run around waving Australian dollars and watch you all fall and worship at my feet because your dollar fails so hard. Which would amuse me infinitely because you always hear Americans saying exactly that about if they were do visit another country. Oh the irony. Oh the tall poppy syndrome. :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2008-04-25, 07:34 PM
The only thing that could convince me to visit Amercia is to run around waving Australian dollars and watch you all fall and worship at my feet because your dollar fails so hard. Which would amuse me infinitely because you always hear Americans saying exactly that about if they were do visit another country. Oh the irony. Oh the tall poppy syndrome. :smallbiggrin:

Actually checking on Google, the US Dollar is still worth more than the Aussie dollar. 1 USD = 1.08 Australian dollar.

That being said, I'm interested in going to Ireland, and anywhere you can convince me has good diving. The pictures I'm looking at of Raja Ampat in Indonesia are pretty awesome...I think I'm going to have to go there sometime in the future.

Danzaver
2008-04-25, 08:58 PM
Actually checking on Google, the US Dollar is still worth more than the Aussie dollar. 1 USD = 1.08 Australian dollar.

Yes, but normally it is worth at least 1.50 AUD.
As it is, I can get stuff cheaper by ordering it from the US than I can get it from home, INCLUDING postage and handling. I love it. :smallbiggrin:

This is because stuff in America costs a smaller number of dollars than it does here. So while technically you dollar is worth 8 cents more, we have more dollars on average, so I would be like 30% richer (approximately - I haven't done the math) were I to come to the old US of A.

EDIT: To use the example of Warhammer miniatures, a box of space orks is $35.00 AUD or $22.00 USD, which coverts to about $23.50 AUD.

So you can see why I am so delighted to see your economy fail.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-04-25, 09:08 PM
I recently visited Spain and stayed with a friend of mines family there. I thought it was great. The countryside is amazing and so were the cities/towns. Any roleplayer who needs some good real-life visual of a walled city should visit Toledo. Placed on a hill, it is surrounded by walls with a stone bridge over the river next to it. The inside is just as amazing, with every other store selling swords, armor and the like, bought myself a nice coat-of-arms for my door (22 Euros). With grand churchs, a busiling square, and swords everywhere you turn, it was like a dream. I saw one sword with the hilt a dragon head, spewing flames engraved across the blade for around 100 Euros. Madrid was equally awesome, great food, but be prepared to stand, elbow to elbow with complete strangers in a crowded diner while you shovel in the pulpo (octopus) Oh, and check out Sagovia, great location, medival streets, big castle with lots of steps to climb. Definately a great trip.

Flickerdart
2008-04-25, 09:23 PM
If anyone is going to Moscow, be sure to check out the Gorbushka. It was originally a factory for tractors or something, and after the USSR's fall it was transformed into a computer mall. That's right, enough computer junk to fill a FACTORY, with the loose copyright laws making it a lot more exciting than any old regular factory-sized computer utopia.
However, finding parking is a pain. Even with the parking lot next to it which has as many floors as the factory, it's still hard to find a good spot.

Also, I've gone camping on lake Seliger multiple times. Really nice place, but it takes ages to get anywhere without a motor (real men sail!). We got caught in a storm once, and I highly recommend doing that. It makes you feel powerful, just standing in the face of adversity and laughing. Plus the fishing there isn't bad (since the island is sand, pines and blueberries only, there are no worms...). The trick is getting a good campsite.
Also, I'll let would-be campers on a little secret. My grandfather and his friends used to camp there all the time, and they decided to take a stove there and just bury it, and dig it up whenever they came. Now they're all old, and the last guy who remembered where it was died, I think. So there's a hidden stove somewhere on the island. Add to that the treasure buried there by the monastery back in the Soviet days, and a few guys with shovels could have a lot of fun. So if you're up to braving the ferocious Russian wilderness (and all the drunken bears that come with it) it's a good place to spend a week or so.

Jack Squat
2008-04-25, 10:00 PM
As it is, I can get stuff cheaper by ordering it from the US than I can get it from home, INCLUDING postage and handling. I love it. :smallbiggrin:

This is because stuff in America costs a smaller number of dollars than it does here. So while technically you dollar is worth 8 cents more, we have more dollars on average, so I would be like 30% richer (approximately - I haven't done the math) were I to come to the old US of A.

EDIT: To use the example of Warhammer miniatures, a box of space orks is $35.00 AUD or $22.00 USD, which coverts to about $23.50 AUD.

Actually the lower prices means that the economy is doing decent...prices of luxury items (and just about everything else) skyrocket in time of economic failure. It's more expensive over there because you have to pay an import tax (and probably a few others) on it, which don't apply when you buy something from the states and have it shipped.

Falconer
2008-04-25, 10:18 PM
If anyone is going to Moscow, be sure to check out the Gorbushka. It was originally a factory for tractors or something, and after the USSR's fall it was transformed into a computer mall. That's right, enough computer junk to fill a FACTORY, with the loose copyright laws making it a lot more exciting than any old regular factory-sized computer utopia.
However, finding parking is a pain. Even with the parking lot next to it which has as many floors as the factory, it's still hard to find a good spot.

Also, I've gone camping on lake Seliger multiple times. Really nice place, but it takes ages to get anywhere without a motor (real men sail!). We got caught in a storm once, and I highly recommend doing that. It makes you feel powerful, just standing in the face of adversity and laughing. Plus the fishing there isn't bad (since the island is sand, pines and blueberries only, there are no worms...). The trick is getting a good campsite.
Also, I'll let would-be campers on a little secret. My grandfather and his friends used to camp there all the time, and they decided to take a stove there and just bury it, and dig it up whenever they came. Now they're all old, and the last guy who remembered where it was died, I think. So there's a hidden stove somewhere on the island. Add to that the treasure buried there by the monastery back in the Soviet days, and a few guys with shovels could have a lot of fun. So if you're up to braving the ferocious Russian wilderness (and all the drunken bears that come with it) it's a good place to spend a week or so.

must....resist....urge.....to.......TREASURE HUNT! :smalltongue:

Terraoblivion
2008-04-25, 10:25 PM
It is even more complex than that, Jack Squat. Because the general price level in a country also includes the general wealth of the members of the population who you can reasonably make a profit selling said luxuries to. Let's take a fairly basic luxury, say beer. The exact same beer will be over twice as expensive in Germany as it is in the Poland or the Czech Republic simply due to the reason that German people are richer than Polish or Czech people and can thus afford to pay more for the beer. Where it gets really screwy is when something is expensive enough that it is only aimed at the upper class in which case it is likely more expensive in poor countries as the middle class there isn't rich enough for you to make a profit from by selling the product more cheaply.

Also the poor American economy is helping the rest of us because prices on most luxuries hasn't actually risen in the US, but the dollar has decreased remarkably in value, making importing from the US significantly cheaper than it used to. So it is not cheaper for you Americans, but it is for the rest of us.

But i think we should stop the extreme off topicness.

Danzaver
2008-04-26, 12:19 AM
I don't understand economics, but I do understand that my hobbies just got cheaper and I experience a certain guilty pleasure when I see bad things happening to the US. Tall poppy syndrome much? :smalltongue:

But yes, back to the topic.

Flickerdart reminded me - I want to to go Russia as well, and visit all their train stations. *drool*

...and France for the catacombs under Paris.

I was going to say Stonehenge, but it totally fails nowadays.

Ooh, ooh! And the ruins of Ankor Wat. I MUST see that before I die.

More updates as I think of more places....

Terraoblivion
2008-04-26, 01:02 AM
Why Russian train stations? I've never heard anything about them being greater than train stations in other European countries.

And if you have an interest in catacombs and other kinds of old, European architecture i think you'd love Prague or in general central Europe, Danzaver. There are several towns that are more or less pristine versions of their medieval form in that part of the world. And Prague itself has some of the most impressive architecture of the late middle ages and up through the early 20th century. And it is close to the most unique building i've ever been to, the bone chapel in...somewhere, i can't remember the name. And for an example of one of those medieval cities Czechy Krumlov is quite magnificent with its brightly painted castle and early tributary to one of the largest rivers in Europe and 11,000 (i think) medieval buildings.

Ceska
2008-04-26, 01:44 AM
Mordokai: CSK is Austrian, not German. I'm not 100% sure, but I though Pete wasn't German either.
Pete is Viennese.

And we both speak German nevertheless, although with an accent, which is what Mordokai talked about.

Let's see, I was in Slovenia, Croatia and Greece a lot. Croatia is okay, Slovenia is great, Greece is on my list of countries never to go to again, together with Hungary. Italy and Croatia make it on the list of countries I might go to again, but don't really need to.
Then I was on the Canaries, which I don't think I'll ever see again either, and South Africa, which was great.

Danzaver
2008-04-26, 01:54 AM
Why Russian train stations? I've never heard anything about them being greater than train stations in other European countries.

And if you have an interest in catacombs and other kinds of old, European architecture i think you'd love Prague or in general central Europe, Danzaver. There are several towns that are more or less pristine versions of their medieval form in that part of the world. And Prague itself has some of the most impressive architecture of the late middle ages and up through the early 20th century. And it is close to the most unique building i've ever been to, the bone chapel in...somewhere, i can't remember the name. And for an example of one of those medieval cities Czechy Krumlov is quite magnificent with its brightly painted castle and early tributary to one of the largest rivers in Europe and 11,000 (i think) medieval buildings.

Oh trust me, I plan to go to prague. I didn't know about the catacombs though. Will have to add that to my to-do list there. And yes, the bone cathedral. Have you seen pictures of it? It is creeeeeeeepy. If you ever needed inspiration for a dark-ages vampire tzimisce character....

A friend went to Prague and he told me about the Jewish quarter, where they streets still have cobblestones, upon which they still regularly draw magic symbols to keep the Golem of Prague away.

You haven't heard of Russia's underground train stations? I could tell you, but it would be better to show you. Here:

http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/skipevans/atl/russia/metro.htm
http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/Russian/RussianMaymester2005/Moscow/Moscow-Metro_station.jpg
http://www.markthomasphotos.com/images/big/moscowgallery4.jpg
http://www.thomashoven.com/p2004_063_998d.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/0/00/20051113163645!Moscow_Metro_Station_1.jpg
http://www.markthomasphotos.com/images/big/moscowgallery2.jpg

Amazing.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-26, 02:06 AM
I don't think there are catacombs. I just meant the general style of architecture is one that somebody who likes catacombs might like.

And the Russian metro stations are grander than i had expected from what i had heard about. I had expected something along the lines of the grandest of those in other European capitols, not the main halls of castles.

Mordokai
2008-04-26, 03:44 AM

Also, You should totally go to eastern Europe, it's cheap and has lotsa nice nature.

I know, we're neighbours. In terms of countries, that is. My dryad has to shut the blinds every evening so to prevent Pete from peeping on her :smallbiggrin: And I was referring to language. While I know they aren't Germans, their native language is German. That's why I only quoted that part of OP's post :smallsmile: Also, I agree with you about eastern Europe. Being from there, I really should travel around more. It is a beautiful place indeed.

I'm from good old Oz, I can highly recommend that you visit, Mordokai.

You'll have to excuse me, but I don't understand what you're referring to when you say Oz. Is that Sweden or Greece?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-26, 03:45 AM
I would love to visit so many countries.

But I HATE TOURISM!
*smite*

Kaelaroth
2008-04-26, 03:46 AM
You'll have to excuse me, but I don't understand what you're referring to when you say Oz. Is that Sweden or Greece?

Unless language and slang has changed considerably since I last checked, I'm pretty sure Oz is Australia. Oz-Tralia. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-26, 03:53 AM
from OZ : It stands for : From Ozzy ozbourns(spelling?) home!

Icewalker
2008-04-26, 04:00 AM
My family travels a lot, so I'm really lucky. Australia is awesome.

I also suggest: South Africa. That was really fun. Alaska was different, but not as interesting as some of the more exotic places, or so it felt to me. Also, it was cold...

I want to go to Japan at some point, this summer we are going to Hawaii and Spain.

Morty
2008-04-26, 05:49 AM
It wasn't mentioned before, but Norway is a great place to visit if you like breath-taking views and don't mind narrow roads in mountains. Also, people there are nice and speak English well. Prices are rather painful, though.
And I have to visit Prague one day eventually. One of the greatest books I've read take part at least partly in Prague.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-26, 08:10 AM
Lived in Germany, and loved it. Was going to move to England but then had a seizure which made my parents decide not to move. :smallfrown:
Been to France, England, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, and Tunisia. Want to go to Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Russia, Norway and Australia.

Phoe
2008-04-26, 09:36 AM
I've been in Denmark, Sweden, UK (Wales), Belgium, Austria and Israel. But I'd like to see so many more places.
I'm more for visiting metropoles rather than 12 days burning in the sun on a beach 20hours/day. One or two days chilling on a beach is fine, but that's enough for me.
I'm trying to have a trip to some european Metropoles like Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Athene, London (just went through once), Dublin, Praque and Budapest. Maybe one day I'll get the chance to visit South Africa, Tokio and Shanghai and US... and my all time favourit is Iceland, maybe a short trip for 5 days to see the power of nature. I'm not really in a hurry! :smallwink: :smallcool:
This year I'm going to meet friends in Luxembourg and hopefully back again to UK also spend some days with my best friend and her family in Sarajevo... maybe (but that isn't sure yet).

Ceska
2008-04-26, 10:10 AM
I'm trying to have a trip to some European metropoles like Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Athens, London (just went through once), Dublin, Prague and Budapest.
Wait, you want to go to Praha but not Berlin? :smallconfused:
Budapest but not Vienna I can understand, because that is just like Wien, only better. But why no Berlin?

Also, I always read this as "The mighty threat of tourism!". :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2008-04-26, 10:45 AM
I've been to a few places around Australia, but never out of the country :smallfrown:

I want to go everywhere. Highlights include (but are by no means limited to):
UK (various) - I have an idea of renting a car and wandering around the place with no real plan except a list of places I especially want to see and maybe some family contacts. I figure the furthest you can drive in mainland Britain at least isn't much further than one side of Victoria to the other, and I know I can do that in one day, so I just have to leave a day or two to get back to where I need to be.
US (not many places, Grand Canyon, some national parks, that sort of thing. Maybe New York, but just for Central Park).
Canadia
Europe (various)
Egypt
Japan
Some parts of China and the rest of Asia
Indonesia
South America, especially Bolivia, the Amazon and Lake Titicaca.
New Zealand
Easter Island (only for a day or two, though)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-26, 11:02 AM
Dallas-Dakota, going to Gencon in America next year! And I live in The Netherlands.
So, I'm already excited to meet some of you American(And maybe mexican or Canadian) GitP'ers there!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-04-26, 12:01 PM
Places I'm desparate to vistit:
England
cotland
Ireland
Wales
((Inside, outside, puppy dogs tails :smalltongue:))
Egypt
Oh my Bob, Egypt
All European countries bar France, Belguim, Portugal and Spain
Turkey
Egypt
Iceland (worthy of a second mention)
Mexico and other central American countries
China
Japan

Places I've vowed never to visit:
America
Parts of France
Portugal
Belguim
Spain
Anywhere too touristy.

Funny thing is; I planned out a travel around the world perfectly once. Moving from one continent to another without going through a single country twice.
Europe to Africa, maybe a quick trip to Antarcica, up the other side of Africa; skip the Middle East depending on things. Into India up to Asia. Flight from Japan to S. America (maybe) or into Mexico. Then Canadia.
From Canadia to Iceland. Boat through the Faroe Islands to the Shetland Islands. Into Scotland. After Scotland into Ireland; then Wales; then England. Then home.

Phoe
2008-04-26, 12:49 PM
Wait, you want to go to Praha but not Berlin? :smallconfused:
Budapest but not Vienna I can understand, because that is just like Wien, only better. But why no Berlin?

Also, I always read this as "The mighty threat of tourism!". :smalltongue:

Eeeehm, Berlin is my capitol! So I'm probably not a "real" tourist in Germany, it's my country. I've visited Berlin several times... :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-04-26, 01:01 PM
So, places I have been so far:

Ios (great Isle if you want to get drunk)
London
Brussels
Blois
Paris
Brno
Italy (Well, the usual Austrian destinations Caorle and Jesolo, never visited Venice so far)
Florence
Hamburg
Düsseldorf
Ship travel: Talinn, St. Peterburg, Gdyna
by Bike: From Copenhagen to Gothenburg, one of the greatest travels I ever made.
Crete

Well, didn't travel much lately, due to kids. Mostly in Austria which is really great to make quiet holidays (hiking, skiing and stuff) but a little bit expensive (especially skiing).

Oh, and I prefer Vienna to Budapest but I can see that someone of the province doesn't like the capital :smalltongue:

Falconer
2008-04-26, 01:03 PM
America

The government is rather irritating (along with just about every other major institution), but there's some nice places here worth the visit. Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Carlsbad Caverns (the huge bat swarms are a sight to see at twilight), and other natural landmarks. The elements of the native american culture are cool, too (believe it if you will, but we're not dead yet...)

Terraoblivion
2008-04-26, 01:11 PM
As a person living in Denmark myself, i have a question Phoe...Why have you visited the place? Nothing here cannot be found in a more interesting fashion somewhere else in Europe.

Also you can safely skip Budapest, it is like Prague with uglier buildings moved to the third world. And it has the rudest, most unpleasant people i have ever met, typically discriminating against foreigners to show that you are not welcome. The only European city i've been to i liked less was Brussels. And everybody i know who has been to Budapest or Brussels feel exactly the same way, those places just aren't worth it.

But why refuse to go to Spain, Portugal and France at all, CurtlyKitGirl? If it is because of the touristyness, it is not all of it equally bad. At least not France and Spain, less certain about Portugal as it is one of those places you never really hear anything about.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-04-26, 01:19 PM
@Falconer: Nothing I'm interested in whatsoever. And from the American I've met/seen/heard of from friends they're not exactly corteous. And it's such a young and dull country.

But why refuse to go to Spain, Portugal and France at all, CurtlyKitGirl? If it is because of the touristyness, it is not all of it equally bad. At least not France and Spain, less certain about Portugal as it is one of those places you never really hear anything about.

I'm English (kind of) (waits for someone to connect some dots) and France is a neighbour. When you're on holiday you don't go next door do you? Or even down the road.
Besides; I've been to Brittany so why'd I want to go to France?
Besides; those three countries are very touristy and I don't like tourists. Comes from living in TouristLand. Spain is far too hot and boozy. Portugal is Spain's little and less famous sibling.

Ceska
2008-04-26, 01:25 PM
Places I'm desparate to vistit:
Egypt
Anywhere too touristy.
:smallbiggrin: Haha.
(emphasis mine)

Eeeehm, Berlin is my capitol! So I'm probably not a "real" tourist in Germany, it's my country. I've visited Berlin several times... :smallwink: :smalltongue:
Ah, a German. Very well, that excuses you. But then, I couldn't know, with you not stating your location.

Italy (never visited Venice so far)
Well done! Venice gets boring after the fifth visiting and seeing the same sights.
And I vow to never again in my life enter an Italian church. Our average of three per day (more or less) when we went there as a school class was enough. Especially since it adds up to 14 days.

Oh, and I prefer Vienna to Budapest but I can see that someone of the province doesn't like the capital :smalltongue:
It has nothing to do with living in the province, the city is more beautiful. Vienna has more of an industrial touch, Budapest has this imperial vibe going.

Worst city so far: Lucca. Easily. Ugly industrial city with a marginal medieval core not able to make up for it. The whole "hammer and sickle being crossed out and replace with a swastika or the other way round" graffiti on every house didn't help, either.
Manchester might make it as second, but I'm trying to give it the benefit of doubt, as I've only been there for a little while and not everywhere (and because the Old Trafford is very nice from inside).
Joburg comes third, but again, I've not been much there.

Best city so far: Hard one. First would be Assisi, I think. Great little city, wonderful view and the churches were very nice as well.
Second would be "Landun". Great from what I could see.
Third would be Budapest, I think.

Graz has one nice thing, for a lot of cultural and architectural styles stemming from Italy (and not just being the prime influence, but actually using exactly the same style) it's the most northern destination. Which is why it's called "Italy's most northern city" by some.

The government is rather irritating (along with just about every other major institution), but there's some nice places here worth the visit.
Careful with the path you're treading.
That said, I disagree with Curly and agree with you. Plenty of great things to see. But then, so are other places, and they're higher on my list.

Also you can safely skip Budapest, it is like Prague with uglier buildings moved to the third world. And it has the rudest, most unpleasant people i have ever met, typically discriminating against foreigners to show that you are not welcome. The only European city i've been to i liked less was Brussels. And everybody i know who has been to Budapest or Brussels feel exactly the same way, those places just aren't worth it.
Talk about different receptions. I've only met nice people there and the synagogue is a blast.

When you're on holiday you don't go next door do you? Or even down the road.
Since I've never left Europe from 1997 on, and most of the time I was in a neighbouring country, yes, I do.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-04-26, 01:53 PM
Oy!
I've wanted to go to Egypt since I was four and could pronounce the word 'archaeology'. And not all of Egypt is fouled by the disease known as Tourism.

If someone can name one thing that would interest me in America (bar forumites) I'd move it to Consider list.

I've only left England for the first time two years ago. For Belguim. And then last month for Brittany.
Beautiful place and it left me with no reason to go to France. Except, admittedly Paris. Catcombs and the scene of one great Gothic novel and one huuuge magnum opus.

EDIT: I still read this as 'The Might Threat Of Tourism'.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-26, 02:03 PM
That is cool, CSK. I wish my trip to Budapest had been as nice as your. Now part of my annoyance with the city probably came from being hungry most of the time as the people i was travelling with were insisting on eating at McDonald's most of the time, something i flatout refuse to do. Still my father and the entire travelling party he was with there felt the same way. So i am glad that there is more to the city than what i experienced.

And not all of France and Spain is touristy, though the interesting spots will be most of the time. Paris for examples is very touristy but all major European cities are, except for those such as Oslo or Zürich or Stockholm that are so dull no tourists want to go there. And really even though there might be a lot of tourists, the Alhambra is still a magnificent palace.

Quincunx
2008-04-26, 03:42 PM
I didn't understand the fascination with Ireland before I got here, and now even less. It's green because the mosses are watered by incessant rain (and wind!). Nonetheless.

For natural beauty on the south-west coast, skip the Ring of Kerry and try the Ring of Beara (south of the Ring of Kerry) or the drive up to Dingle (north) which cuts across the peninsula. Sheep have the right-of-way. The shrine at Gugan Bara is a speck of lakeside beauty; respect the Catholics on pilgrimage and try to walk around the stations in order. The truly smooth and rounded 'rocks' on the sandy beaches of the south are actually stripes of sea-worn peat. Lilac season is June and July, daffodil season mid-February. Road games can include Steeples and Roundabouts--count them all, which category comes out on top?

Nowadays there's nearly nowhere I haven't been as a tourist that I've also lived. Life is odd.

Eliaf
2008-04-26, 03:56 PM
Grrmm... The far i have gone is to México City, and is in the same country i live so i think that doesnt count.

But there is a lot of places i would like o visit.
First Germany, O i love german culture, Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland, and The Scandinavian countrys, i have some obssesion with Scandinnavia.
Then i like to visit Libano (i dont know the English name), my pfathers Grand father or something like that was for libano so i think i have to go, and Pheonicians looked interesting.
I love Pre=Hispanic cultures so i love to go to cuzco. England looks well y like rainy weather and ireland too.
Grrrhmm.... Japan looks interesting, but is not in the top list, i would like to visit Arab Emirats, i like arabic culture too. A, maybe rome, greece, Some places of africa, maybe canada, and other places but, not very urgent.

Burrito
2008-04-26, 04:55 PM
Heh, I'm not going anywhere until the kids are older than 4 and 1 1/2. Traveling long distances with small children? I think that is one of the layers of the Abyss, somewhere in the 400's.

Seriously, people should get out into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota or the Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario. No motorized vehicles, not many people, and the less of them there are the further out you go.
Lots of moose, wolves, bears and great fishing! Not much tastes better than shore lunch walleye over a campfire.

dragoncmd
2008-04-26, 06:11 PM

You can get box sets for $22.00? I can never find them for below $30 (I'm in California)

Danzaver
2008-04-26, 07:10 PM
You can get box sets for $22.00? I can never find them for below $30 (I'm in California)

That's the quoted price on the US GW online store. I just figured that was the same as the store price, because the AUS GW online store price is the same as the store price.

Maybe you should start doing your shopping online, and just going to the GW shops to discuss tactics? :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-26, 07:28 PM
I've been to France twice, Belgium once, and been in Holland for an entire hour.

Next summer I'm going to Britain. I also really want to go to Germany, Iceland, Russia, Brazil...

Oh, and Ukraine, mostly to do geneologic detective work.

Serpentine
2008-04-26, 09:29 PM
On Egypt: My lecturer in Egyptian history gave us a bunch of advice on visiting there. I can't remember most of it enough to repeat it here, but what I can remember was approximately thusly:
There's a reason "tourist season" is when it is. Any other time of year is even hotter and more miserable.
Don't go with a tour group.
Attach yourself to a tour group when you pass through places - you need to pay to move almost anywhere, and the tour group guides pay for the whole lot.
Rather than go to the Valley of the Kings with every single other person in the area, take a left (or right?) turn into the Valley of the Queens. Hardly anyone goes there, and he thinks one of those tombs is the most beautiful he's ever seen.
Don't bother with all those street stalls and things for food. It's risky, and you can get just as genuine Egyptian food from more trustworthy restraunts and hotels.

Like I said, there was more but I can't remember it well enough to repeat it reliably (was it get a guide, or don't bother with them? There was some warning about guides taking you out into the desert and making you pay before they'll take you back again... Was it prepare to spend a lot of money at stalls, or harden yourself to not buy anything, or to make sure that it's always a conscious decision to buy something that you actually want rather than get bullied into buying stuff?). I'd still like to go there...

OwlbearUltimate
2008-04-26, 09:50 PM
If someone can name one thing that would interest me in America (bar forumites) I'd move it to Consider list.

I, having traveled the whole USA in an RV, would have to recommend two places, New England and the west. No offence to the South, but those two were my favorite. The west is filled with grand canyons and the Grand Canyon. I strongly recommend hiking down and up the Grand Canyon. It's suggested you book a cabin below in advance, but the hike is great, wildlife, amazing views, everything, and it just feels great when you are done. The other canyons are breathtaking, especially in the sunset. Many natural phenenons (sp) like the Arches and such, a great trip. New England is great. Wether you want to see a white New England winter, or eat lobster in the summer, or see the leave fall in Autumn, or the flowers of Spring, it is all a great expirence (but then again, I live there.) Oh, and try to get tickets for a Sox game, like no other sporting event. We're mostly Democrats too, so if you think we are all dumb, oil burning creatures, stay at a Bed and Breakfast, the one I stayed at gave me pens that had paper that pulled out giving pollution vs. green spending stats, the whole house was powered by solar energy, and the toilets let into the ground for fertilizer.

InaVegt
2008-04-27, 01:48 AM
I've been to France twice, Belgium once, and been in Holland for an entire hour.

If you came from Belgium when you went to "Holland", I doubt it was Holland, more likely Zealand, North Brabant, or Limburg.

Ceska
2008-04-27, 02:54 AM
That is cool, CSK. I wish my trip to Budapest had been as nice as your. Now part of my annoyance with the city probably came from being hungry most of the time as the people i was travelling with were insisting on eating at McDonald's most of the time, something i flatout refuse to do. Still my father and the entire travelling party he was with there felt the same way. So i am glad that there is more to the city than what i experienced.
Well, I liked it a lot. It's very beautiful, the food we got there was completely okay (though it had Austrian prices), and the people seemed rather nice to me, although I was in a group myself.

Referring to the rest of your post, even the smallest place has its own fascination, it's just harder to find in some than in others.

Oy!
I've wanted to go to Egypt since I was four and could pronounce the word 'archaeology'. And not all of Egypt is fouled by the disease known as Tourism.
You do realise you will be a tourist as well, thus only help the disease spread?
Besides, there's a good reason tourists are higher in numbers in some places than others.

On Egypt, all receptions I've heard are that the people of Egypt, especially those of Cairo, are rude, loud and obnoxious. But the few Egyptians I met were rather okay.

Ina: Pars pro toto. Drop the whole "it's only a part of the country" already. We know. We don't care.

@v: I call the UK England if I wish to. I don't care if a Scot, a Welsh or anyone else is offended by it.

InaVegt
2008-04-27, 02:59 AM
Ina: Pars pro toto. Drop the whole "it's only a part of the country" already. We know. We don't care.

Calling the Netherlands Holland is like calling the UK England, if a Scot can be offended at the second, why can't I be offended at the first?

Serpentine
2008-04-27, 03:03 AM
You do realise you will be a tourist as well, thus only help the disease spread?Mm, but there's tourists ("Excuse me, can you tell me whether it's okay if I have a look in the mosque without a headscarf?", "oooo, I'd like to try the sea urchin!"), and then there's the tourists ("What do you mean we can't go on a day trip to Uluru from Canberra?", "Ew, your food looks gross", "Don't you know where I'm from?! Our country saved your arses! How dare you not be racing to fulfil my every whim?!", "Even though I'm obsenely overweight, I think I'll wear my garish Hawiian shirt open today").

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-27, 05:57 AM
I've been pretty much everywhere in Europe, but I'm ashamed to say I've never left the continent. This is about to change drastically though, as me and a couple of my friends have decided to take up the project of visiting everywhere. Well, not everywhere. Just the interesting places, like Egypt, Japan, Easter Island, the big cities of America, the jungles of Azia, the temples of South America. So, yeah, everywhere...

The main reason I've never been out of Europe is that I used to travel with my parents, and they felt anything outside Europe was either too expensive or to dangerous. Now though, the world is my oyster.

Calling the Netherlands Holland is like calling the UK England, if a Scot can be offended at the second, why can't I be offended at the first?
You're totaly right. And you have a spiffy new avatar! :smallsmile:

All European countries bar France, Belguim, Portugal and Spain
Wow, wow...wow ... ... wow. First of all, it's Belgium, not Belguim. Second, what's wrong with it? Seriously, it might be rainy, but it's the centre of Europe, it has great food and plenty of interesting places to visit. I mean, it's not like we speak French or anything...

Ceska
2008-04-27, 06:11 AM
Mm, but there's tourists ("Excuse me, can you tell me whether it's okay if I have a look in the mosque without a headscarf?", "oooo, I'd like to try the sea urchin!"), and then there's the tourists ("What do you mean we can't go on a day trip to Uluru from Canberra?", "Ew, your food looks gross", "Don't you know where I'm from?! Our country saved your arses! How dare you not be racing to fulfil my every whim?!", "Even though I'm obsenely overweight, I think I'll wear my garish Hawiian shirt open today").
The difference between ignorants and polite people exists in all humans, not just in tourists, though.

On the topic of Belgium, it's on my list. Might as well stop there when passing through to Holland ( :smalltongue: Before you add anything, I mean Amsterdam in particular). And I definitely want to see the major cities of Flandern as well as Brussels.

Serpentine
2008-04-27, 06:30 AM
Well, not everywhere. Just the interesting places, like Egypt, Japan, Easter Island, the big cities of America, the jungles of Azia, the temples of South America. So, yeah, everywhere...:smallfrown:
Also? Azia? :smallconfused:

CSK: It's not so much the ignorant, as the people who leave their place of comfort to go to a whole new land without bothering to actually find anything out about it beforehand, and do nothing but complain about it the whole time when they're not patronising the natives. In other words, it's the wantonly ignorant, bloody stupid and horribly bigoted. Anyway, alright, all peoples can be stupid. But why do the stupid people always have to leave home and come here*?! :smalltongue:

*"here" being "anywhere one^ happens to be"
^"one" being "anyone who feels like complaining about these people"

Phoe
2008-04-27, 07:06 AM
As a person living in Denmark myself, i have a question Phoe...Why have you visited the place? Nothing here cannot be found in a more interesting fashion somewhere else in Europe...

Well, yeah maybe... But I do like the northern countries in Europe. Also there is always cultured influences (... like architecture), which you can't find in your own country.
Plus Denmark is surrounded by the sea. I wub the sea if it isn't too touristic like... 20 blocks of hotels in a row. I would def. visit Denmark again and spend some more days.
Also I think, with the globalisation cities become kinda simular. Economics (shops, malls, pedestrian precincts, restaurants, hotels,..) seem to be the same.

I have visited Koopenhagen. It's a nice city and doesn't seem too crowded as some other metropoles, which I think it doesn't have to be a big minus. We stayed one day during our trip to Sweden.
And when I was a kid my family visited "Legoland", but I think I wasn't too interested in culture at this ime. I was just pretty amazed and impressed by all these lego-building, and that was all what counted for me. :smallwink:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-27, 08:01 AM
:smallfrown:
Also? Azia? :smallconfused:
Asia. Sorry. Thanks for pointing that out.

Agamid
2008-04-27, 10:54 AM
I've lived in Oz most of my life, but i did live in Papua New Guinea for three years and LOVED it, absolutely loved it.
It's such a gorgeous country, the vast majority of the people are wonderful and it's one of those few remaining uncharted places. I mean, every year people are discovering new kinds of wildlife or fauna that aren't found anywhere else, or at least, that scientists have never found there before.
I still dream about PNG, maybe i'll retire there :)

I also spent three months in South Africa a few years ago. It was a very beautiful country, really visually stunning, but it was SOOO racist, sickeningly so. And although I'm told that PNG and south africa are pretty comparable crime and safety wise, i never felt safe there, not 100%
It probably didn't help that the people i stayed with (rather estranged family) for all but 1 week of the holiday they,well, without using any expletives, our personalities clashed on almost every single level possible.

I really want to travel a bit more of OZ, and a want to go all through Europe, especially but not exclusively, France, Germany, Russia, Ireland and Scotland.
I always want to go to India, Egypt, the Middle East (especially Afghanistan), Canada, New Zealand, Swaziland, Madagascar, Brazil (just to see the amazon), Greenland, Iceland... and more of PNG and surrounding Islands of course.

Thiel
2008-04-27, 11:40 AM
Places I'd like to see:
CERN, Geneva
The flood gates in Amsterdam and London
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences in Foulum, Denmark. - They have cows with windows in them.
The Sewers of London and Paris - The architecture is wonderful, once you get used to the smell and the Haz Mat suit.

Places I'd like to see again
Culhamn Science Center, UK
Stockholm, Sweden
Museum of Technology in Berlin, Germany

These are the only specific places I'd like to see.
Me and my family has always travelled a lot, so I've seen most of Europe by now.

dish
2008-04-27, 01:11 PM
Jack Squat: The best place I ever dived was in Manado on the northern tip of Sulawesi (aka Celebes, aka The Spice Islands). Tropical rainforest filled with monkeys, snakes, and a lot else leading down to white-sand beaches and azure seas underneath which there was unbelievable visibility to view the teaming hordes of colourful flora and fauna (well, mostly fish - but such fish!)

Serpentine: More advice about Egypt - if you're interested in belly-dancing DON'T plan a trip during Ramadam.
(Favourite memory of Egypt: floating down the Nile in a wooden sailing boat.)

Some places which have made a strong impression on me: Tokyo (mega-city one as seen through the eyes of Good Housekeeping magazine), Caesarea (Roman ruins stretching down to the golden sands and Mediterranean), Venice (well, it's Venice), Prague (the architecture).

Places I'd like to see: India, Iceland, New Zealand. Those are the main ones, but everywhere is different and interesting in its own right.

Mr. Moon
2008-04-27, 01:36 PM
I was going to spend next spring break in Japan, my sensei orginizes a trip every few years. But, alas, there were to many students wishing to go, and as a lowely first-year seito, I cannot go to Nihon. :smallsigh: The year after, though, I'll have priority.

Adlan
2008-04-27, 03:11 PM
Places I've Been:
France, Disneyland and Parc Asterix when I was young. And, on they way through during a School trip to belgium (where, Bit confused, and trying very hard to order cheese in flemish, I learnt some very, very rude french words).
Belgium, On the afore mentiond school trip. Very nice, apart from the Chocolate shops trying to fleece us). Didn't get to interact much with the people, but I got to visit my relatives graves, and names. Everyone should see the endless fields of white marble. It really gives you.... perspective.
Colorado, My father was working out there, and I got to go visit him for a month. I saw the rockies, and got some good fishing in (real, proper rainbow trout), I saw denver (nice city, weird weather. a Storm at 4pm sharp everyday), and went to the 6 flags there. Lovely place, after I adjusted to the Altitude (I'm from Norfolk. I live 40m above sea level, and thats at the top of a hill). But, all I did was touristy stuff.
Ireland, North and South, a few days in Belfast when I was young, before going to dublin. Spent some more time in Dublin when I was older, very nice. But the only place in Ireland I did anything other than touristy stuff is County Mayo, where some of my Kith and Kin live, and although we are distantly related, they took me straight into the clan. I spent a Month there, and by the end of it, I was ordering my Porter in Gealic, though sadly, I've lost what little of the lingo I picked up. County Mayo is like the Norfolk of Ireland, Rural and Beautiful, but it has mountains and a fijord and everything, it's great. But, unless you have native allies to show you arround, and take you to the real pubs and real atmosphere, then you will miss out alot.
Scotland, a few times, most notably for the edinburgh festival.
Wales only for a few days.
Texas, A 1 in a Million Bowhunting trip for which I didn't pay a penny, I am the luckiest, jammiest person ever when it comes to this trip, It was brilliant, and the Full story can be found on Bowhunting.net. Texas is a lovely place, lovely people, (chicks dig english accents :D) and my only problem was the heat. Far too hot. Countryside looks like Africa. I kept expecting to see Wildebeast and Elephant.

Where I want to Go
Alaska
Canada
Elk bowhunting
Whitetail bowhunting in Texas again
Feral hog/Wildboar bowHunting.
Roe Deer bowhunting in France
Red Deer Bowhunting in Newzealand.
Scandanavia
Snowdonia (in Wales)
A massive Convention, like Dragon Con,
A Massive Gunshow.

Rykaj
2008-04-27, 03:15 PM
Make a line, going north from Croatia's border, Austria's and Czech's border, Germany and Sweden. I've been to everything west of that, apart from Britain and Ireland. Visited every capital apart from Madrid and Oslo.

Best city ever? Dresden! Yeah :smallsmile:

Dresden somehow makes you feel really at home and has really friendly people and there are brilliant street artists everywhere. Besides, Germans are probably the friendliest people in all of Europe.

Coming summer I'm going hitchhiking around Europe again. I'll be visiting Berlin, Croatia, parts of Italy and France.

Oh and Terra, I'm actually going on a weekend hitchhiking trip Arhus (no clue how to do the cool A/O thingy :smalltongue:) in a few weeks. Any tips on things I should really do, see, eat or drink while there?