PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones Top 100 Guitarists

Gaelbert
2008-04-27, 08:26 PM
It's been up for 5 years now, but I was just curious to see what people have to say about it.
Article (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/)
The comments were pretty critical of it, but then again, most comments on the internet are fairly negative.
Personally, I disagree with a lot of the rankings. I know I'm joining the crowd here, but it should be a crime to place Eddie Van Halen at #70.
Placing Jimi Hendrix at #1 I can agree with, but that's an easy pick. Duane Allman is good, but not #2 status, Angus Young should be a lot higher on the list, and he's behind Joan Jett for that matter.
Toni Iommi, Randy Rhoads, and David Gilmour deserve better too, and this is all just with a quick read through.

TSGames
2008-04-27, 09:48 PM
Jimmy Page is #9? WTF? I could maybe understand #2, and I could forgive #3, but number 9?

In all seriousness, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, and Ry Cooder are ranked ahead of him??!! WTF! I'm out.

Tengu
2008-04-27, 10:02 PM
Brian May as low as #39? Kurt Cobain as high as #12 (I like Nirvana but he wasn't that good of a guitarist)? I'm afraid I don't like this list either.

Ceska
2008-04-28, 12:50 AM
Brian May as low as #39? Kurt Cobain as high as #12 (I like Nirvana but he wasn't that good of a guitarist)? I'm afraid I don't like this list either.
*nods*
Cobain should be somewhere in the low 80s or similar. He wasn't a great guitarist at all, imo.

Also, placing Fripp at 42 would count as blasphemy if not for the reference bonus. Still, he should rank a lot higher.

rubakhin
2008-04-28, 01:06 AM
Jimmy Page is #9? WTF? I could maybe understand #2, and I could forgive #3, but number 9?

In all seriousness, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, and Ry Cooder are ranked ahead of him??!! WTF! I'm out.

You're complaining because Robert Johnson is ranked higher than the guy from Led Zeppelin?

Damn, boy.

poleboy
2008-04-28, 05:32 AM
Okay, I'm pretty sure this is not a list of the most SKILLED guitarists, or Cobain would never have gotten in at all. I agree on no.1, but the rest seems completely random.
**** Dale should be ranked higher too imo. His music is rather unoriginal and repetetive, but he's a kinda weird prodigy like Hendrix, playing a guitar designed for left-handed people when he's right-handed (or the other way around, I forget) and doing some amazing stuff with it.
Jack White is a cool guy, but I've never really heard him playing anything that impressed me much.

IKE TURNER!?

Jebus help me.

valadil
2008-04-28, 09:07 AM
Kurt Cobain is #12. John Petrucci is unlisted. No, this doesn't surprise me, it just confirms that these lists are meaningless.

zeratul
2008-04-28, 02:42 PM
These lists are always biased. I mean, I love Kurt Cobain, but he shouldn't even be ON a top 100 guitarists list. Dave Mustaine, Alexi Laiho, Petri Lindroose, they should all be on it.

Semidi
2008-04-28, 10:17 PM
This reinforces my belief that Rolling Stone magazine doesn't know music. Kurt Cobain, # 12? I play better than Kurt and I suck; I know 12 year old kids who are both better than me and him. (I can also probably sing better, but let's ignore that)

Hendrix at #1 is good.

Also, Iommi, Young, Rhoads, and Blackmore are all way too low.

Also, I must be blind, because my search function can't even find Slash.

Catskin
2008-04-28, 11:04 PM
You're complaining because Robert Johnson is ranked higher than the guy from Led Zeppelin?

Um, have you heard much Led Zeppelin?

This list (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=92250) of the 100 best has Page #1 (R. Johnson #15). It also has Slash (#64). It also has Michael Hedges and Leo Kottke, both Windham Hill folksy-experimental-classical-alternate-tuning types that don't get represented at all in Rolling Stone.

Neither list has Johnny Marr, which I think is wrong.

The Necroswanso
2008-04-28, 11:28 PM
I saw neither Dave Mustaine or Zakk Wylde on this list yet somehow Tom Morello and Jhonny Ramone made it? And what the hell is with Johnny Ramone being above Van Halen?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-29, 06:36 AM
Being one of the masterminds of punk? And for the other one, having solos as good as Eddie's, or maybe even MORE inventive?

But yeah, Slash so low? No Vernon Reid? WTF?

And for the record, Rolling Stone later named Jimi Hendrix as history's worst guitarist.

Gits.

Dode
2008-04-29, 07:24 AM
And Buckethead isn't on that list?

Hahaha, that sound you hear is my value of Rolling Stone's opinions flushing down the toilet.

Mr.Silver
2008-04-29, 12:24 PM
My first thought on reading this was "The Rolling Stones had over 100 guitarists?! :smallconfused:" (Apostrophes: deadly if unused)

As to the list, most of the complaints have already been said. Jack White at 17? What the hell are they smoking? Looks like they based this more on popularity or record sales, because I don't think it was guitar skill.

Jorkens
2008-04-29, 12:59 PM
Out of interest, has anyone, anywhere, ever seen a "Top 100 Whatevers" list in a music magazine and thought,"yeah, that's pretty much totally right, no real complaints." I mean, my top 10 whatevers change depending on my mood, the time of day and the price of tea in china, expecting someone else to come up with a list that I agree with is pretty hopeful.

It might be more productive and interesting to list your own top whatever rather than complain about someone else's. Don't know who mine would be, but I'm glad to see Richard Thompson so high up - he kind of gets overlooked next to the spandex clad rock stars, but he's up there with the best.

No Davy Graham or Martin Carthy, though. They'd both be on my list.

Spiryt
2008-04-29, 01:05 PM
What is Krk Hammet doing so high? Not that I don't like him, but it looks kinda off...

And yes, generally such lists are stupid.

rubakhin
2008-04-29, 01:05 PM
Um, have you heard much Led Zeppelin?

Yeah.

Have you heard much Delta blues?

Emrylon
2008-04-29, 02:00 PM
Ok I get that this is someones opinion and that everyone has different tastes.

But why oh why isn't Mat Bellomy from Muse not even on the list.

I mean come on he is like one of the best known modern guitarists at the moment.

Makes no sense

FdL
2008-04-30, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry to say that these lists never make any sense. The put up the regulars, and whoever is famous at the moment.
Besides, you can't really quantify or compare music or musicians, as someone being "better" than someone else.
Then again, if you do, which would the idea be? Compare technical proficiency? Musical innovation? Creativity?

No point in these. You read one, you've read them all. That was my 2 cents.

Corwin Weber
2008-05-01, 01:00 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn at 7?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Honestly he should be ahead of Hendrix. It almost looks like they picked names out of a hat. Andres Segovia isn't even on the list.....

TheMuffinThief
2008-05-01, 07:38 PM
No John Petrucci? fail

ElfLad
2008-05-02, 01:47 AM
Placing Jimi Hendrix at #1 I can agree with, but that's an easy pick. Duane Allman is good, but not #2 status, Angus Young should be a lot higher on the list, and he's behind Joan Jett for that matter.

Duane Allman is #2 good, deal with it. :smalltongue:

Also, Joan Jett is even on the list? She's the best singer ever IMHO, but she's a freaking rhythm guitarist. :smallannoyed: RHYTHM. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' lead guitarist is Ricky Byrd, I believe.

Also, they titled the list wrong, it's actually "Guitarists from 100 popular bands/solo acts arranged completely randomly."

SDF
2008-05-02, 02:02 AM
I saw neither Dave Mustaine or Zakk Wylde on this list yet somehow Tom Morello and Jhonny Ramone made it? And what the hell is with Johnny Ramone being above Van Halen?

I'm actually really glad Wylde isn't on the list, Neil Young is too low IMO.

Is there a bassist list? Is Sid Vicious #1?

Narmoth
2008-05-02, 03:49 AM
Well, the list is of the most influential guitarists, not the most skilled. That's why Duane Allman is on the top. His merits are as following:
Layla And Other Assorted Lovesongs together with Clapton
Twin lead guitar adopted later by Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden
Big influence on Southstate Rock (or whatever it's called) by playing in the Allman Brothers Band

By the way, the list is based on votes (I think by readers wotes even) and therefore nothing to fret about

SuperMuldoon
2008-05-02, 09:52 AM
These lists are always pointless, most of the guitarists are ranked by popularity/legacy rather then skill. Also, there are tons of guitarists who play in bands that aren't "mainstream" that have serious skills. Psyopus or Number 12 Looks Like You anyone?