PDA

View Full Version : So I started reading Sandman...

Hzurr
2008-04-29, 02:08 AM
First off, it was excellent. Thanks to the many people who have recommended it here in the forums.

So far, I've read the first 4 TPB (up through the "Seasons of Mist" storyline, which was amazing). I'd been planning all along to read up through 4, and now that I've finished it, I wanted to know "should I continue?" I've read a lot of comics that started very strong, but finished weak as the author ran out of ideas, so would it be better for me to stop now, or do the stories continue to be the caliber I've seen in the first 4?

Attilargh
2008-04-29, 07:59 AM
I at least found the ending really good, so I recommend continuing. Can't really tell you why it's so good, 'cause that would be spoiling, so you're going to have to trust me. :smallwink:

Mind, the art style gets a bit wonky later on, and I would've preferred the earlier style had continued. But the writing's awesome, and there could very well be some symbolism or something itnelligent like that hidden in the art.

Wolfprint
2008-04-29, 08:41 AM
I'm quite fond of it too, although the art got a bit of getting used to at first. But I like how the different storylines are reflected in the style of the different artists. Wait till you get to Charles Vess and A Midsummer Night's Dream. That was beautiful.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-29, 10:56 AM
Keep reading.

If you've liked it so far, you'll probably continue to do so (you are up to one of the most divisive story arcs with "A Game of You" though; people tend to either love it or hate it).

There are some tangents along the way, but the comic as a whole is going somewhere if you stick with it.

The artwork does change from story to story, but I think it's a feature rather than a bug (going from the highly stylized art of "The Kindly Ones" to the more realistic art in "The Wake" fits, in my opinion).

Edit - in particular, Gaiman had the ending of the comic in mind from early in the overall run. This was, as far as I know, the first time a regular comic title has ended at the peak of its sales (as opposed to fixed-duration limited series) so it's not so much a matter of the author running out of ideas or having his title canceled due to poor sales as it is a story that reached its logical conclusion.

Tirian
2008-04-29, 11:10 AM
I've read a lot of comics that started very strong, but finished weak as the author ran out of ideas, so would it be better for me to stop now, or do the stories continue to be the caliber I've seen in the first 4?

In my opinion, they do not continue to be the same caliber. They get much better.

It is somewhere at your point in the story that Gaiman hits his stride and maps out the storyline for the rest of the series. Up to this point, the themes of the arcs have pretty much been "Weird stuff* happens to young women", and it becomes "Who is trying to destroy one of the most powerful beings in Creation?" in addition to the stories contained in the arcs themselves. And the arcs all get tied together in the penultimate story. If you've been enjoying it up to this point, you'd be denying yourself the pleasure of realizing what it all really meant.

Now, I can't speak as highly of the rest of the "Gaiman universe". I mostly enjoyed the first thirty issues or so of "Books of Magic" but put down comics and never saw how it ended up. The parts of "The Dreaming" that I read where wholly unremarkable. I've heard good things about "Lucifer" but haven't seen it myself.

* And when I say "stuff", I don't mean "stuff".

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-29, 05:00 PM
Continues. The arcs just get better. :smallbiggrin: <3 Gaiman.

UglyPanda
2008-04-29, 06:54 PM
The series is great. It's what got me into comics in the first place. I highly disliked the Hell arc, but all the other issues more than make up for it. Death: The High Cost of Living is pretty good, I personally didn't like Lucifer and skipped The Dream Hunters. Gaiman also wrote Marvel 1602 and the newest version of The Eternals, which are both worth a read.