PDA

View Full Version : Magneto vs. Luffy

Xilehxt
2008-04-30, 11:54 PM
Just a question, but me and my roommate had a question about who would win in a fight between the two. Both of us are not that familiar with Magneto, roomie only saw movies, I've read some of the comics, but I say that Magneto wins and he says that Luffy (rubberman from One Piece, just in case you don't know who he is)does. Even if you ask for more information on what version of Magneto, I wouldn't know so the most widely accepted version would do. Thanks for your opinions.

Serpentine
2008-05-01, 12:20 AM
What sort of bad guy has a name like "Luffy"? :smallconfused: May as well just call him "Snuggledumplings"...

V Ah... Still pretty lame :smalltongue:

Rogue 7
2008-05-01, 12:23 AM
I think Luffy's about as good a guy as you can get. Based on what I know of the show (the 4Kids dub, please don't kill me...), his full name is Monkey D. Luffy. And I think a lot depends on how much metal Magneto's got to work with.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 12:37 AM
Let's say no body of water around, Magneto gets his armor and a dagger.

My roommate's point is that Luffy is fast enough to dodge anything Magneto throws at him. He wants cites on Magneto's abilities basically, as in how well he can manipulate metal, etc.

Raiser Blade
2008-05-01, 01:11 AM
Magneto wins easy. He could shred luffy with a single dagger.

Rutee
2008-05-01, 01:18 AM
I feel vaguely unsettled. Been playing so much pokemon lately that I thought it read "Magnezone"..

Revlid
2008-05-01, 01:21 AM
Magneto liquifies the dagger and any other metal within a mile or so radius, turns them into 1cm-wide spheres, and wizzes them back and forth at Luffy. He wins.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 01:26 AM
The spheres don't work, as Luffy is immune to bludgeoning attacks, but yeah, Magneto wins if he can catch Luffy with the daggers. Is there citation that he can wield a dagger with enough speed and force to catch up to superhuman speed? My roomie's anal about proof and won't accept general, he can just do it, for an answer.

streakster
2008-05-01, 02:11 AM
Ways Magneto pwns Luffy -

Rips the iron from his blood. Done.

Throws up a diamagnetic force field. Ignores Luffy's attacks entirely. Amuses himself by slowly killing Luffy. Done.

As in Revlid's trick, reshapes all metal within one mile to tiny objects. This time: shurikens. Will Luffy Blend? Yes. Done.

Increases his strength to Class 100. Tosses boats at Luffy. When that doesn't work, rips the iron from his blood again. Done.

Manipulates metal to form death ray. Shoots Luffy in face. Done.

Fries Luffy with lightning bolt. What's that? Luffy's resistant to electricity? Let's try the "Will Luffy Blend" trick again! Yup, still works. Done.

Sets Luffy on fire with infrared radiation. Done.

Blanks Luffy's mind. Done.

Gives Luffy an aneurysm. Done.

Sinks the island on which he and Luffy were fighting, while flying happily above. Luffy can't swim? Done.

Warps via wormhole to any nearby blacksmiths. Returns bearing ferrous death. Done.

Really, this isn't even a contest. Magneto is Alpha, possibly even Omega class. Luffy has basically Mr. Fantastic's powers, with better physicals, but minus the brains, right?

Yeah. Not really a fight, more like an execution. Doesn't even matter which Magneto (Ultimate, Movie, Classic, etc.) you use.

I can provide multiple sources for all these should you need them. He's done every trick on that list - and much, much more.

Heh, see what an infatuation with Freedom Force can do for you? :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2008-05-01, 02:57 AM
Did magneto ever pull the iron from someone's blood? I mean, if he could... why always bother with else fighting method's *shrug* It's ultimate kill to any Terrestrial life form. In the other hand... Luffy's a rubber man. He might have rubber in his blood :smallbiggrin:

Though, I think it will be a double ko. Luffy got superhuman strength and more superhuman speed. Magneto was surely unable to dodge him and even a thick armor is shown to be no match for Luffy. On the other hand Magneto could easily create dozens of tiny missiles and rip Luffy into pieces. So, propably both get killed, or Luffy's fast enough to finish him off before (Magneto's way too slow)

leperkhaun
2008-05-01, 03:01 AM
Did magneto ever pull the iron from someone's blood? I mean, if he could... why always bother with else fighting method's *shrug* It's ultimate kill to any Terrestrial life form. In the other hand... Luffy's a rubber man. He might have rubber in his blood :smallbiggrin:

Though, I think it will be a double ko. Luffy got superhuman strength and more superhuman speed. Magneto was surely unable to dodge him and even a thick armor is shown to be no match for Luffy. On the other hand Magneto could easily create dozens of tiny missiles and rip Luffy into pieces. So, propably both get killed, or Luffy's fast enough to finish him off before (Magneto's way too slow)

in the movie he sensed the excess metal in the guards body and pulled it out of him.

Kato
2008-05-01, 04:08 AM
Yeah, but this weren't the single atoms of iron in the hemoglobin but the high dense iron fluid stuff Mystique had injected into him. Otherwise he'd done it times earlier, don't you think?

Rutee
2008-05-01, 06:06 AM
Now.. I'm not a marvel fan.. but are the movies usually considered Canon? I know it touches on House of M stuff, but..

Lizard
2008-05-01, 06:15 AM
Really, this isn't even a contest. Magneto is Alpha, possibly even Omega class. Luffy has basically Mr. Fantastic's powers, with better physicals, but minus the brains, right?

Well, yea he begun like that. But you have to realize that Luffy is main hero of shonen manga/anime, a show where is everything and everyone subjected to constant My Kung Fu Is Stronger Than Yours (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MyKungFuIsStrongerThanYours). Luffy at the current point of series is something like Mr. Fantastic fused with half of Superman, half of Flash, some bits from Hulk, and a lot of wackyness. The brain stays the same though.....

@pulling iron from blood: Eh... I dont know if this would work. Luffy is, thanks to his power a rubber man with a bit differnet physique than normal humans. It isnt even sure if he HAS iron in blood. He is immune to bullets, immune to electricity, highly resistant to any piercing and bludgeoning damage, and has at least 2 techniques that depends on modifying his body in a way that would painfully kill any normal human (superheating his blood and blowing air into his bones, if I recall correctly). So it is entirely possible that even if it could be done by Magneto it would be only slight annoyance instead of Insta Kill.

I firmly believe that Luffy would win, unless there is some kind of technique with which could Magneto defend against a punch with enough power to sink a warship, delivered at any distance, with speed so high that ordinary human eye cant even register it...

Gael_Judicium
2008-05-01, 07:10 AM
I don't think that the Devil Fruit messed with him that much. The iron in the blood (hemoglobin) carries oxygen to the rest of the body. I do believe that Luffy would win for one reason.

Luffy. Never. Loses. (If he does, please tell me, I'm just before Crocodile in the English manga, no spoilers)

WalkingTarget
2008-05-01, 09:24 AM
I don't remember Magneto ever pulling the iron out of somebody's blood directly, but there have been instances in comics (the one I remember off the top of my head was in one of the very early Age of Apocalypse books) where he rendered a person unconscious by pulling the blood away from his brain briefly (the target just passed out).

While it's dubious that this would work without causing massive embolisms in the real world, it is something that worked within the comics.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 09:24 AM
Well, this is a vs. thread, so shounen hero backup shouldn't come into play.

I'll double spoiler in the case you accidentally opened this. Do not drag if you're not up to date. Technically, he never loses, but he says that he was never able to beat Ace. Also he loses to Aokiji waaaay later.

streakster
2008-05-01, 09:33 AM
Granted, Luffy's physiology may make the iron blood trick impossible. If it is there though, Magneto can pull it out. It's iron like any other iron.

As for why he never uses it? The same reason Luthor never shot Superman when he had him powerless. The same reason that Bond villains leave him tied up alone. The same reason that the Big Bad doesn't just squash the heros in the first episode.

I firmly believe that Luffy would win, unless there is some kind of technique with which could Magneto defend against a punch with enough power to sink a warship, delivered at any distance, with speed so high that ordinary human eye cant even register it...

Try a permanently kept up diamagnetic forcefield that's stood up to Cyclop's eyebeams, Thor, and Galactus. He can take a battleship-breaker easy.

By the way, anyone know what Luffy's strength level would be on the Marvel scale?
(http://en.marveldatabase.com/Strength_Scale#Superhuman:_90.2B_tons_to_100_ton_r ange)

As for Luffy winning because of plot, well, yeah. That doesn't help with power level comparison, though - I mean, if you see Cypher vs. Magneto you know that Cypher saves the day, even though he's nowhere near Magneto's class. So yeah, if this is a crossover issue, Luffy wins. He has to. He could be a powerless paralysis victim and still win.

If you have a straight fight (free from plot demands), though, there is no chance for Luffy to survive.

Lissibith
2008-05-01, 09:34 AM
Luffy. No doubt. Especially if it's post-Water-7.

I don't care how good he is with daggers, Luffy doesn't stop and I don't think Magneto's armor has a chance against the gears. Plus, Will of D...

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 10:08 AM
Armor for Magneto serves more as a way for him to fly and as an iron source, not protection. As for Luffy's strength, it was never mentioned, but I take it to be around 2~10 tons.

streakster
2008-05-01, 10:18 AM
Armor for Magneto serves more as a way for him to fly and as an iron source, not protection. As for Luffy's strength, it was never mentioned, but I take it to be around 2~10 tons.

Thanks! And yes, Magneto's armor is a flight method/metal source, just like you say. Protection would come from his forcefield (Which, since it's taken Thor's hits, isn't going to be bothered by a 2~10 ton class).

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 10:25 AM
OK, so Luffy can't hit him, unless there's a limit on how long he can keep that forcefield up. So it depends on whether he can catch up to Luffy and do enough damage to kill if Magneto's to win.

Alex Kidd
2008-05-01, 10:29 AM
Yeah. Not really a fight, more like an execution. Doesn't even matter which Magneto (Ultimate, Movie, Classic, etc.) you use.

I mostly agree with you, comics Magneto would SLAUGHTER Luffy easily.

But movie one's powered down a lot. He actually needs to poison people with iron pills to affect them which removes the body manipulating tricks, the lack of metal on the field means he can't do the blender trick and the more insane feats of strength are ruled out by the fact he had trouble lifting more than a large truck if I remember. This fight I'd give to Luffy simply due to Magneto not having any way to defend himself against OP's blink step(I forget the name, Luffy learnt it from CP9) and just getting smeared by an attack so fast he can't even see it. And even if he did survive Luffy would use tekkai or Gear 2 to harden himself to stop projectile hitting his organs and just beat him down.

By the way, anyone know what Luffy's strength level would be on the Marvel scale?
Luffy outright ignored that Weight changer(Miss All Sunday?)'s 10ton form and knocked her flying with a casual backhand. This was normal Luffy all the way back in Whiskey Peak. In Skypeia he is able to swing around a solid gold ball about 3m in diameter as an attack with a surprising degree of agility. Gear 3 Luffy punches through 10 to 20ft of steel reinforced concrete built to hold back the ocean in the Enies Lobby fight with Lucci(not a big deal either just arena destruction from the fight). Monster Luffy held back a full power attack from a monster several hundred feet tall who must weigh hundreds of tons with one hand without budging.
The last doesn't really count though, but I'd put him well past the 4-10t range(hell Zoro was throwing two story buildings as a distraction in Alabasta). Probably in the post 50 area, maybe post 100t in Gear 4. But seeing as movie Magneto doesn't have an effective force field and comics one would off Luffy without blinking it doesn't really matter.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 10:41 AM
Ah, my bad on Luffy's strength. But wait, gear 4? What's that?

Piedmon_Sama
2008-05-01, 10:41 AM
Magneto's ability to leave the arena via wormholes as well as hover/fly means he can go and collect as much metal as he needs to rain hell down on Luffy. And his magnetic shields have stopped punches from 100-ton class superstrong heroes like Colossus, the Thing, and the Hulk, so it's wildly unlikely Luffy could bust through one. Magneto can also sense bodies through the electromagnetic spectrum, so sneaking up on him is virtually impossible.

Basically, pure physical heroes never have a chance against him. Luffy goes down, 10/10.

Alex Kidd
2008-05-01, 10:44 AM
Ah, my bad on Luffy's strength. But wait, gear 4? What's that?

It's not called that officially but it's when he used Gears 2 and 3 at the same time against Moria. Sorry it's what it's referred to as where I usually talk about OP and I slipped.

And are you talking to me Piedmon? Cause I already said the Magneto that can do those things can one shot Luffy easily, Luffy has no hope. But the movie Magneto can't do those things, that's where my strategy applies. Well I think he can do the elector sensing thing but Luffy isn't sneaking, he's moving so fast Magneto(who never displays any sort of super speed in the movie) can't react.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 01:49 PM
Problem resolved. It was just that the view on Magneto by me and my roommate was different. He was solely basing him on the movies while I was drawing from other sources. I can accept that Magneto from the movies would probably lose to Luffy.

As a side note the weight changer is Miss Valentines Day.

Querzis
2008-05-01, 01:55 PM
Magneto's ability to leave the arena via wormholes as well as hover/fly means he can go and collect as much metal as he needs to rain hell down on Luffy. And his magnetic shields have stopped punches from 100-ton class superstrong heroes like Colossus, the Thing, and the Hulk, so it's wildly unlikely Luffy could bust through one.

Well I just saw all the cartoons and read the old comics so I was going to say Magneto lose badly but if he can really do that in the new comic...how could he ever lose? What you just told me is basically «Magneto can make himself invincible to everything» so how come he still actually lose (I assume he still lose because the X-men arent all dead). Seriously, everything else Magneto could do is quite useless, Luffy is almost incinvible and he got so much range of attack and so much speed that flying really doesnt help against him. So it really just come down to the fact that apparently, Magneto can make himself invincible all the time which means he would eventually win either way...but if he actually has to direct his shield in one direction or if he cant always keep his shield on or if it somehow tire him when he does that then Luffy still win. Hes way too fast, too tough and too endurant.

But if he somehow have an eternal shield that cant be broke then yes Magneto will win eventually. Its gonna take lots of time though, Luffy is hard to catch and even harder to wound. But if he can do that, I really wanna know how he can somehow still lose to the X-mens.

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 02:13 PM
Power of plot is my guess.

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-05-01, 03:07 PM
In Skypeia he is able to swing around a solid gold ball about 3m in diameter as an attack with a surprising degree of agility.
Assuming the 3m estimate is accurate, that ball masses over 270 tonnes.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-05-01, 04:25 PM
Well I just saw all the cartoons and read the old comics so I was going to say Magneto lose badly but if he can really do that in the new comic...how could he ever lose? What you just told me is basically «Magneto can make himself invincible to everything» so how come he still actually lose (I assume he still lose because the X-men arent all dead). Seriously, everything else Magneto could do is quite useless, Luffy is almost incinvible and he got so much range of attack and so much speed that flying really doesnt help against him. So it really just come down to the fact that apparently, Magneto can make himself invincible all the time which means he would eventually win either way...but if he actually has to direct his shield in one direction or if he cant always keep his shield on or if it somehow tire him when he does that then Luffy still win. Hes way too fast, too tough and too endurant.

But if he somehow have an eternal shield that cant be broke then yes Magneto will win eventually. Its gonna take lots of time though, Luffy is hard to catch and even harder to wound. But if he can do that, I really wanna know how he can somehow still lose to the X-mens.

Well, like I said, this was Magneto the last time he was powerful. He lost his powers (along with most of the world's mutant population) in a storyline a few years back. Recently, he got his powers returned by a sentience made from the lost energy that went away when all the mutants lost their powers (there is no way I can say it without it sounding stupid, you'd just have to read the story) but we haven't seen him since then as far as I know. So for the last two-odd years we don't know what Magneto's been up to--however, he had basically reformed even before he lost his powers and become friends with Xavier again, so he hasn't been a threat in a long time. The last time the X-Men fought Magneto, it turned out to be an imposter.

His ultimate fate is a plot thread Marvel's left dangling, we have no idea if when he shows up again he'll be friend or foe (and since we haven't seen what he can do since he got his powers back, we don't even know if he's as powerful as he was before or what.)

Xilehxt
2008-05-01, 04:44 PM
Huh, it does... manga underestimates the density of gold. I reread that part and 1 meter radius is probably more correct, which puts the weight around 80 metric tons. Still...that's pretty heavy. Sure he was dragging it around for the most part and using elasticity to attack with it, but had no idea how strong Luffy was until numbers were presented.