PDA

View Full Version : Good Spells for a Level 20 Archivist

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-01, 04:08 PM
Assuming no obvious cheese like getting somebody to make divine scrolls of wizard spells that aren't in any domains, or divine bard cheese, what are some good spells for a level 20 Archivist? I'm especially having trouble filling level 7 spell slots.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-01, 04:29 PM
Greater Whirlwind (SpC, Druid 9/Windstorm domain 9) is an absolutely ridiculous spell that can deny enemies multiple rounds of actions, while doing some damage, with no save for those of them who are in the middle of the Whirlwind.

Make sure to get Control Winds (Druid 5) and Phantom Stag (Druid 5).

For level 7, check out Radiant Assault (SpC); it's absolutely amazing. Also check out Mass Spell Resistance (SpC)--especially with caster level boosters like a Bead of Karma.
Fortunate Fate(SpC) can prevent your allies from dying.

For core cleric spells, there's Destruction, Control Weather, Greater Scrying at level 7.
Domains in the SpC give you Magnificent Mansion (Trade 7), Spell Turning (Retribution 7), Avasculate (Deathbound 7).

Domain lists in the SpC, are generally good: Magnificent Mansion (Trade 7), Time Stop (Time 9, also Trickery 9), Contingency (Time 6), Haste (Time 3), Dominate Monstery (Tyranny 9), Enervation (Suffering 4), Feeblemind (Suffering 5), Slow (Sloth 4), Spell Turning (Retribution 7 and others), Dimensional Anchor (Portal 3--normally cleric 4), Insanity (Moon 7), Foresight (Halfling 9), Irresistible Dance (!) (Gnome 8), Voice of the Dragon (Dragon 4), Avasculate and Avascular Mass (Deathbound 7 and 8), Armor of Darkness (big Deflection bonus to AC--Darkness 4)...

Take GMW off the Paladin list. Take Entangling Cocoon (SpC, Druid 6) and Baleful Polymorph (Druid 5) off the Druid list, to essentially turn Baleful Polymorph into a *Ref* save or lose--there's a shortage of those.
Make sure you have Mass Conviction (SpC, Cleric 3).

Talya
2008-05-01, 05:23 PM
Assuming no obvious cheese

*looks at the title*

Uh...I thought this was an archivist?

namo
2008-05-02, 01:41 AM
Aura of Vitality (SC, 7) is a good short-duration group buff. Choose Destiny (RoD, 9) is one the best personal buffs that exist.

Foresight is level 8 for the Time domain !
Monstrous Thrall [Domination 9] is strictly better than Dominate Monster IIRC.

See http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=515321 for a long list of spells at the lowest level.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-02, 02:43 AM
Have you heard of a level 5 non-core spell called Revivify? It wouks as a Raise Dead spell, but it only costs 500 GPs worth of Diamond Dust to cast, and it doesn't cause the target to lose a level. It needs to be used a round after the target dies, though (I can't remember which website I saw it on, but it's on the normal Cleric spell list).

CthulhuM
2008-05-02, 04:41 AM
Don't forget that Shugenjas are a divine class, and they get plenty of spells that are normally arcane only (like contingency and permanency).

As far as level 7 spells go, there are actually a lot of very good ones on the cleric list. Fortunate fate, greater plane shift, and renewal pact (all from SpC) are all very handy. You can also pick up spell turning and disintegrate from various domains.

For other non-cleric spells, I recommend bombardment at 8th (SpC, druid spell, reflex save or die, in many cases, and regardless does lots of damage and doesn't allow SR), darkbolt at 5th (SpC, darkness domain, decent damage via touch attacks, and excellent battlefield control to boot), plant body at 5th (SpC, druid, lots of nice immunities for 10 minutes/level, though I'd spring for veil of undeath instead if you can spare the 8th level slot), wall of thorns at 5th (core, druid, ridiculous battlefield control, very often takes enemies out of the battle with no save allowed), and, of course, the old standbys of dimension door and fly (via travel domain). And if your DM lets you get scrolls made by divine bards (I wouldn't, but hey...) you should definitely pick up Otto's irresistible dance at 6th level.

9th level is pretty well covered in core only, with wail of the banshee, implosion, shapechange, foresight, and time stop all as options. Not to mention mass heal and miracle.

Oh, and don't forget faerie fire. For a first level spell, it's amazingly useful.

Grynning
2008-05-02, 05:01 AM
How has no-one mentioned Anyspell yet? Being able to fill one slot with basically "pick one out of every arcane spell up to a given level" is stupid awesome. And I mean stupid, and awesome, at the same time.

purplearcanist
2008-05-02, 12:17 PM
Have you heard of a level 5 non-core spell called Revivify? It wouks as a Raise Dead spell, but it only costs 500 GPs worth of Diamond Dust to cast, and it doesn't cause the target to lose a level. It needs to be used a round after the target dies, though (I can't remember which website I saw it on, but it's on the normal Cleric spell list).

I found it in Miniture's Handbook.

Chronos
2008-05-02, 12:21 PM
Don't forget that Shugenjas are a divine class, and they get plenty of spells that are normally arcane only (like contingency and permanency). For that matter, don't forget about the adept. That'll net you Touch of Fatigue, Ghost Sound, Sleep, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray, Web, Lightning Bolt, Minor Creation, Polymorph, Stoneskin (as a 4th-level spell), and Major Creation. Admittedly, some of these won't be all that useful (especially at high levels), but they're not usually available to divine casters at all.

Nohwl
2008-05-02, 12:29 PM
its usually the feat selection i have trouble with. :smallbiggrin: does anyone have any suggestions for those?

just pick spells similar to ones suggested for a wizard and youll be fine.