PDA

View Full Version : Linking Smoothly

Kizara
2008-05-01, 11:15 PM
First off, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here. I don't know where to post it.

I've recently recieved a warning concerning my sig size, which comes as a shock to me as it used to be larger and I've had it for over a year here.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting a new one anyways and towards that end I wanted to have a sig that had my homebrewed material linked in it. However, I don't know how to do it where you have the link as a different word then just the address.

For instance, here is a link to a homebrew of mine:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74094

Now, I'd like that to read "3.5 D&D Language System" but have the same link destination. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to anyone that was annoyed by my (apparently) too large sig.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-01, 11:24 PM
First off, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here. I don't know where to post it.

I've recently recieved a warning concerning my sig size, which comes as a shock to me as it used to be larger and I've had it for over a year here.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting a new one anyways and towards that end I wanted to have a sig that had my homebrewed material linked in it. However, I don't know how to do it where you have the link as a different word then just the address.

For instance, here is a link to a homebrew of mine:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74094

Now, I'd like that to read "3.5 D&D Language System" but have the same link destination. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to anyone that was annoyed by my (apparently) too large sig.You place an = in the first URL box, and place the address you want there in quotes. Then the label goes between the URL boxes. So, This site. (www.Giantitp.com/forums) is linked with This site. (www.Giantitp.com/forums) If you use the URL box, what you want to change to make the labelis automatically highlighted when you first place the address.

Kizara
2008-05-01, 11:31 PM
Test:

3.5 D&D Language System. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74094)

Thank you very much.

Neftren
2008-05-02, 03:23 PM
There are two ways to shorten the URL considerably. The first method is to use a website such as TinyURL.com, which will autoconvert something from 50 characters or so, into something 16-20 characters long. Pretty straightforward.

The second method that works well is that if you have a thread on these boards, you can use the Link Thread Name Here.

For example, I could go Random Thread which would link you to the thread with the number tag 64659.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-03, 12:26 AM
Important functional note on using [thread] and [post] tags vs. [url]: [thread] and [post] will direct you to the given link in the same browser window or tab you clicked on it (by default anyway). [url] opens up a new window (or tab, depending on your browser). This may affect your choice in which tag to use.

Kizara
2008-05-29, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the pointers, both of you.