PDA

View Full Version : Help my annoy my group with video game/anime references

Da Beast
2008-05-02, 12:08 AM
I'd just like to start by saying that I don't think that Tome of Battle is "too anime." Personally, I find it incredibly annoying to hear people assert that the material has an inherent anime flavor from which it can not be divorced. That being said, I recognize the potential to use tome of battle to represent some of the more fantastic elements within anime. I also like to bug me friends just for the hell of it. With all that in mind, I'm looking for ways to fit anime, video game references into an unarmed swordsage build. Anything that gives me an excuse to jump up from the table and shout out an attack name at the top of my lungs is a plus. Here's what I have so far

Use Burning Blade and jump up from the table, shouting out "THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED!"
Burning Blade in conjunction with Sapphire Nightmare Blade: "FALCON PUUUNCH!"
Either Searing Charge or Tornado Throw would make for a nice super sonic
Rabid Wolf Strike for a nice Iron Reaver Soul Stealer
And I suppose that if I get to level 20 I could declare a limit break whenever I use dual boost.

And I'm pretty much out of ideas. So, I'm looking to give my unarmed swordsage as many anime/videogame references as possible. I'm playing up the anime flavor purely for laughs and to make my friends' blood boil. So please, no arguments about Tome of Battle.

Kizara
2008-05-02, 12:24 AM
Just use ToB and shout out the names of maneuvers in the book. You don't really need to be too creative here.

Let's take your current example:

Burning Blade in conjunction with Sapphire Nightmare Blade: "FALCON PUUUNCH!"

Just shout: "Burning Blade, SAPPHIRE NIGHTMARE BLADE!!!". I know I would be really annoyed by this after the first time.

The first time I'd laugh my arse off at you for about 2 minutes.

Twice.

Fri
2008-05-02, 12:37 AM
Ah, I was just going to say that. Yeah, just say out loud everytime you use your feats or things.

But if you want specific anime/video game reference.... well, what anime/video game that your friend watched/played? It won't be funny/annoying if they haven't watched it.

Cuddly
2008-05-02, 12:38 AM
Yeah, just shout the names of the moves when you do them.
"Wolf! Climbs! MOUNTAIN!"

"Your Tiger Claw is weak! It is no match for my Stone Dragon!" Make sure after you say these in an overdramatic way, standing up and shouting, you keep moving your mouth. Like a badly dubbed kung fu film.

neochaos
2008-05-02, 01:01 AM
Omni Slash->Time Stand Still

...kinda like this?

I like calling Feral Death Blow as "Heaven's Wolf Slashing Fang" which is reference of anime "Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin", skill that dogs(...) use to cut dear's head off(...)

streakster
2008-05-02, 01:05 AM
Hand of Death is now Mind Crush. (Wait, no! Pull out a notebook, a bag of chips, aaaand "And then I'll take a potato chip - AND EAT IT!")

That exorcism one is now "Umo gwai gwy fy dees owl".

"LOVE and PEACE!" can work for quite a few White Raven maneuvers.

Every time you dual boost, its not a limit break. It's Bankai!

THe Dragon Slave speech now prefaces use of that one Desert Wind Maneuver - Wyrm's Flame? Each and every time.

Hmmm...what maneuver suits "Light come forth!"?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 01:15 AM
Hmmm...what maneuver suits "Light come forth!"?Desert Wind. Any of them. At all. Pick one, IT WILL WORK.

neochaos
2008-05-02, 01:15 AM
I always thought that Black Blade of Disaster is Ragna Blade and Sphere of Ultimate Desturction is Giga Slave (although it's much smaller scale. Will Sphere of Annihilation suit better?)

neochaos
2008-05-02, 01:19 AM
Then which maneuver will "Hikari ni Nare" ("Become the Light") fit? (GaoGaiGar reference. when main mecha, GaoGaiGar smashes the Hammer into the enemy, it disintegrates enemy into photon particles)

streakster
2008-05-02, 01:22 AM
Oh, this will fit anything:

"My voice knows kung fu!"

Da Beast
2008-05-02, 01:34 AM
What is the dragon slave speech?

And it probably doesn't matter if the rest of my group is familiar with the reference or not. My DM hates anime and just the knowledge that I built a character around it will drive him nuts (assuming he doesn't kill me off outright withing the first five minutes).

streakster
2008-05-02, 01:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIS2b7EOpB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6ZZ4Fp2Is&feature=related

There you go! The first is japanese, the second dubbed to English.

Wait. He hates anime? Has he never seen Slayers? It's the quintessential DnD party - the caster who vastly outperforms the rest of the group, the guy who chose a fighter and isn't really following the plot, the serious roleplaying cleric who gives speeches about justice, and the one guy who read the rules and took notes on the plot.

Paragon Badger
2008-05-02, 02:29 AM
That exorcism one is now "Umo gwai gwy fy dees owl".

I miss that show. :smallfrown:

Make some DBZ references. That's gauranteed to annoy everyone who doesn't make DBZ references.

Kizara
2008-05-02, 02:41 AM

Wait. He hates anime? Has he never seen Slayers? It's the quintessential DnD party - the caster who vastly outperforms the rest of the group, the guy who chose a fighter and isn't really following the plot, the serious roleplaying cleric who gives speeches about justice, and the one guy who read the rules and took notes on the plot.

Without buying a DVD set, do you know of a way I could see said series? Sounds interesting, and I always liked playing Lina. :)
(not as much as Lesh mind you, but still, good character)

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-02, 02:47 AM

Zelgadis is more the one that the DM failed to inform that it was going to be a humor campaign.

After a successful attack: There is nothing my blade cannot cut!

Weiser_Cain
2008-05-02, 02:48 AM
Name all your attacks.
When you're about to pull a 'everything you know is wrong' trick yell bankai! then reequip the villain and drop a template in it.

Da Beast
2008-05-02, 04:13 AM

:smalleek: I don't think there's a maneuver explosive enough to represent that attack.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 04:18 AM

There you go! The first is japanese, the second dubbed to English.So that's what happens when you use Iron Heart Surge to end a Dragon. Interesting. I'll have to remember that.

poignant123
2008-05-02, 05:08 AM
I recommend using entire turns to give Guren Lagann speeches but improvise them with more cheesy goodness... You might also want to bring something to play loud anime theme music behind you on your turn.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-02, 05:57 AM
It's over nine thousaaaaand!!!!

senrath
2008-05-02, 06:03 AM
Oh, this will fit anything:

"My voice knows kung fu!"

Don't forget "My voice gives me super strength!"

Reinboom
2008-05-02, 06:13 AM
I'm confused as to why you would marry ToB even more to eastern references if your intent, hidden under the "to annoy" intent, is to drive that ToB is not married to its fluff.
Unless, of course, your next character under the DM is a core class where you emphasize the stereotypical anime stylization.

_Zoot_
2008-05-02, 06:24 AM
Ooh what about;

"OMG a Giant rock"

Attilargh
2008-05-02, 06:34 AM
After a successful attack: There is nothing my blade cannot cut!
And if you want to be truly awesome, yell "I am [character name here], the sword that cleaves evil!" before a charging attack, followed by the above.

Oh, and don't forget the Gespenst Kiiick! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGtGyEQxcU&feature=related)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-02, 06:45 AM
So that's what happens when you use Iron Heart Surge to end a Dragon. Interesting. I'll have to remember that.

O RLY? I think Inferno Blast, the level 9 desert wind maneuver, is TAILORMADE for that. And it's also good for Vegeta's sacrificial attack.

Drascin
2008-05-02, 07:28 AM
I recommend using entire turns to give Guren Lagann speeches but improvise them with more cheesy goodness... You might also want to bring something to play loud anime theme music behind you on your turn.

Ah, yes, Gurren would be a nice starter point too... I did a Giga Drill Breaker myself in a little mini-module a month ago (flying ubercharger + valorous lance = exploding Great Wyrm). No one else got it at that moment, but I was laughing my ass off. And when you get some magic glasses, make sure you ask your local artificer to make them orange, pointy, and awesome. And get a cape.

Also, couple obvious equivalences: Searing Charge = Falcon Kick. It should even be in the text of the thing. And, if you happen to reach high levels, Five Shadow Creeping Enervation Strike = that 64-hit combo Neji from Naruto has, and whose Japanese name I can't be bothered to remember :smalltongue:.

AlterForm
2008-05-02, 07:36 AM
Make a table so you can randomly generate names for your maneuvers. Like so:

{table="Repulse the Monkey!"]Part 1|Part 2|Part 3
repulse|golden|hamster
hammer|wise|monkey
fiery|stance|earth
[/table]

Then roll randomly to determine which words to use (add articles and minor changes as needed). Roll every time you perform a maneuver or change stances. Every. Single. Time.

Just make sure your list is long enough.

Collyer-san
2008-05-02, 09:16 AM
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=animepower

This generator Allows you to create an Attack name of Some Considerable Size, based on 3 different Catagories.

You can generate Upto One Hundred names at once... :D

Using Brutal/Destructive, Cutting/Slicing, and Killing, I got:
Bolt Crazed Omni Slice

Tengu
2008-05-02, 09:28 AM
Remember to shout the names of your attacks in bad Engrish.
"Saffir Nightmaru Breidoooo!!"

Zelgadis is more the one that the DM failed to inform that it was going to be a humor campaign.

He's also the guy who plays a weird half-this and half-that race combo.

PlatinumJester
2008-05-02, 03:49 PM
A super Mario style dungeon where every 40ft people have to make another jump check or die. Then at the end you fight a bitch harsh boss before being told "Your X is in another dungeon".

On boss battles, when the boss dies, shout "round 2, fight" and make the PC's fight him again.

The boss can only be killed by a specific item, that is conveniently found in his dungeon.

Annoying talking fairies called Vani that shout "Hello?" or "Listen".

Have a Tenkai'ichi Budokai.

Huge, Gundam Style Warforged.

An NPC called Sakura.

A random dirty ol' man.

Emo kid NPC who is naturally good at everything and is popular with the girls but feels that life sucks anyway.

Trading cards for everything - "Congratulations you found a 4gp shiny card and the CMW potion card".

Really andom loot system - The dead duck has 12 feathers, a pancakes worth of duckmeat, 12cp, a rusty spork and a +1 shortsword.

At the beginning of each session have a stereo play a random Japanese Theme Tune.

Have a voluntary I Wanna Be The GUy stage, where you can die by just touching a door.

Reinboom
2008-05-02, 04:01 PM
I am pretty sure he was speaking about annoying the DM with these references, not being the DM and carrying these references.

Wooter
2008-05-02, 04:09 PM
Hmmm.... there has to be a way to fit Bobobo-bobo-bobo references in there... But how?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 04:12 PM
Hmmm.... there has to be a way to fit Bobobo-bobo-bobo references in there... But how?Open a Gate to the Abyss. Stare in. you should get the same effect as you would by quoting that show.

Wraithy
2008-05-02, 04:39 PM
WEPPON SHIZU! <- to be shouted every time you sheath your weapon
FURAIMU SUTARAIKO <- if you happen to have any flame based attacks
well I'm not sure if I translated strike properly, but you can simulate the effect by adding random vowels after every consonant (except n, leave that one alone). L sounds become R sounds, and I think V sounds become B.

Announce everything.. EVERYTHING

BAWORU REREESU (I'll leave you to figure that one out)

Rogue 7
2008-05-02, 05:04 PM
If you're using a sword, can't go wrong with Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. Generally you say: "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu: X", where X can be a lot of things.

Ryu Tsui Sen- a jump attack, falling on the opponent.
Ryu Shou Sen- not sure on this one.
Several others I don't recall, but the two big ones are
Kuzu Ryu Sen- 9-headed dragon- 9 thrusts, supposedly unblockable.
Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki- Soaring Heaven Dragon Flash, I think. Ultimate attack.

Talya
2008-05-02, 05:12 PM
We play over OpenRPG, and my DM continually uses map icons/avatars from console game sources. This of course, has no impact on me, because I've never played a snigle console game and have no idea what they are from. The others in my party are always identifying them when he posts them, which leaves me a little lost, but I've learned to ignore it.

The Sandman
2008-05-02, 06:03 PM
Insist on shouting ZA WARUDO whenever someone screws with time. Especially with Time Stop.

Paint the warforged in your party red, then argue that his base land speed just tripled.

And for the love of god, don't let your druid turn into a bear near underage girls. The results could be ugly.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-02, 06:53 PM
For the party-oriented White Raven Tactics maneuvers, shout things such as "If you don't believe in the you who believes in you, believe in the me that believes in you!" and "Pierce the heavens with your drill!"

And, for whenever someone talks down to you, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?"

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-02, 08:53 PM
For the party-oriented White Raven Tactics maneuvers, shout things such as "If you don't believe in the you who believes in you, believe in the me that believes in you!" and "Pierce the heavens with your drill!"

And if anybody tries to pull THAT on you, counter with "Cania, eight layer of Baator, frozen wasteland, and Mephistopheles' domain!".

Or "A sex Bomb!" and play some Tom Jones.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-02, 09:10 PM
And if you want to be truly awesome, yell "I am [character name here], the sword that cleaves evil!" before a charging attack, followed by the above.

Oh, and don't forget the Gespenst Kiiick! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGtGyEQxcU&feature=related)You forgot the CHESTOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Alternatively to this, just use your local stereo to blare TROMBE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-0-KyPd0Y) whenever it's your turn.

Really, Super Robot anime is the way to go on this one. They can get ridiculously loud and corny. And we love them for it.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-02, 09:32 PM

The above suggestions win.

Also: The use of Iron Heart Surge really isn't anything but screaming. Most massive melee type anime have heroes that wordlessly shout as they violate the rules of combat and defy the effects of attacks used against them. :smallamused:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-02, 09:45 PM
The above suggestions win.

Also: The use of Iron Heart Surge really isn't anything but screaming. Most massive melee type anime have heroes that wordlessly shout as they violate the rules of combat The universe more than an Emperor Tippy Epic Wizard circle. :smallamused:

Fixed that for you.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-02, 10:00 PM
Hadrian Emrys is not a name dropper.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-02, 10:05 PM
What about a name pick-upper? That's one of my multiple jobs, one of which is training Zombie tarantela dancing monkeys.

Why do I have the feeling I've invoked the quantum law of anime overthetopishness?

Rutee
2008-05-02, 10:40 PM
Death Mark.

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. It's burning cry tells me to grasp victory! Erupting, burning, finger!"
*Punch, grab*
"Heat End!"
*Enemy explodes"

Seen here:
Except in JP, it's God Finger. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rgRMqfTOsU&feature=related)

Count D20
2008-05-02, 10:54 PM
Panty shots. include illustrations.
Go ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA when doing a punching combo/flurry/hell of a lot of attacks.

Overlord
2008-05-02, 11:05 PM
Whenever the DM makes an inquiry concerning the level or power of something, or if he even mentions one of those words, scream at the top of your lungs:

"IT'S OVER NINE THOUUUUUSANNNNNNNNNNND!!!!!!!!"

Along the same lines, whenever your character is fighting, announce that you are "powering up" and start grunting loudly, as if you had a hernia or constipation.

Also, insist that when you go into combat, your hair turns yellow and sticks straight up. Refuse to back down from this when everybody at the table balks.

hylian chozo
2008-05-02, 11:08 PM
When you are low on hitpoints and attack, shout, "Watch the power of AURA!" Just because you can.

The Sandman
2008-05-03, 12:35 AM
Play as a female druid//bard with ranks in Perform (ballet) and a duck as her alternate form.

Ne0
2008-05-03, 07:55 AM
1. Buy your character a Katana.
2. Have it enchanted in such a way that it starts glowing at will.
3. Let the katana glow as soon as combat starts.
4. Shout the name of every feat manouver, or even skill you use. ("Tumble! Tumble! Disarm!)
5. Every action that uses up expendable resources (ie: spells, manouvers, feat uses/day) should be preceded by a long roleplay description of how your character powers up, and should be terminated with a long scream, making it sound like it's the most powerful attack your character has. While you've still got 4 or 5 uses left, of course.
6. Get a Japanese sounding name, not so obvious that it's a specific name, but something that has a's, u's and the likes. (For instance: Hiraku. Just made that up)
7. Insist that your character adresses everyone with '-san' or '-kun'. Even if he doesn't know his/her name. (Yes, knight-san. No, peasant-kun)
8. The fun doesn't end in the session alone! Let your character have a history or personality that is somewhat similar to an anime character's. Again, not terribly obvious, but enough so they start having serious suspicions.
9. Exaggerate all your emotions. And I mean 'your'. If your character is upset, he or she is not very subtle about. You should at least be screaming to your fellow players within 2 inches from their face. And remember: Huge sweatdrop are physically possible!
10. Make sure your character always has a hammer or another bludgeoning weapon with him/her, so they can deal some non-lethal damage to their party mates every time they make a remark.
11. Address your DM at the beginning of the session. Insist on applying a homebrewed 'Saiyan' template to your character.

Happy to help,
~Ne0

Skaven
2008-05-03, 09:04 AM
At the local fair, a bespectacled female gnome has an iron golem companion, she challenges to have you beat it up and win 15 silver coins.

Penguinizer
2008-05-03, 10:17 AM
I think I just broke that anime power generator.

Behold my super attack!

Violent Grenade Crazed Exploding Explosion

Or:

Bloody Blood Gory Gore Exploding Crush Shredding Reaction Explosive Power

NephandiMan
2008-05-03, 10:08 PM
I've wanted to do this one for a while now, but never had the chance.

1) Enchant an eyepiece so that it allows you to use Detect Magic at will.

2) Refer to it as a scouter.

3) Whenever you encounter something or someone that you even suspect might be magical, ask your DM what the scouter says about its power level.

Also, although it's not anime-related, suggesting that you solve any resource-related problem by "constructing additional pylons" would be made of win.

tyckspoon
2008-05-03, 10:22 PM
Also, although it's not anime-related, suggesting that you solve any resource-related problem by "constructing additional pylons" would be made of win.

"Plebs are needed."

Edan
2008-05-03, 10:22 PM
Get two people, they may talk normally to others, but when addressing each other, they must and always yell their names at the top of their lungs, and often they forget to finish the sentence after the name yelling sequence. Make one an overly violent psion, the other a badass blaster type in a red jacket.

(If you know Akira, you get what I'm talking about.)

Fiery Diamond
2008-05-04, 12:12 AM

This post in this thread got me into Slayers. I'm now halfway through the series. (yes, all on Saturday since the thread was started). Awesometastic anime.

Edit: Also, suggestion. Play a pacifist monk, and when you do get into combat: "Pacifist Crush!"

Meltemi
2008-05-04, 12:18 AM
"Plebs are needed."

"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

More pertinent to anime:
Modify a malletwar hammer or harisen war fan to deal non-lethal damage to anyone acting particularly foolish.

Yaoi guys. Bishy, naturally, and capable of spontaneously summoning sparkles and/or roses. Extra points if you actually have someone start scattering rose petals to the table.

streakster
2008-05-04, 12:25 AM
This post in this thread got me into Slayers. I'm now halfway through the series. (yes, all on Saturday since the thread was started). Awesometastic anime.

Edit: Also, suggestion. Play a pacifist monk, and when you do get into combat: "Pacifist Crush!"

Ha ha!

So glad I could pass on the awesomeness. I owe Rutee for showing it to me. You'll be happy to know the next set of episodes starts in June.

All hail Prince Phil! "Be Kind To All Creatures Kick!"

Kizara
2008-05-04, 01:07 AM
Ha ha!

So glad I could pass on the awesomeness. I owe Rutee for showing it to me. You'll be happy to know the next set of episodes starts in June.

Man, it wasn't on any channel I get. I was likewise interested. Maybe I can rent it, you never know.

Rutee
2008-05-04, 01:13 AM
Ha ha!

Wait, what'd I do? I don't recall recommending Slayers ever.. Not that I hate it, I just don't remember /doing/ it..

NephandiMan
2008-05-04, 01:19 AM
Huh...and here I thought Record of Lodoss War was the ultimate D&D anime. I'll have to check this Slayers thing out.

streakster
2008-05-04, 01:21 AM
Wait, what'd I do? I don't recall recommending Slayers ever.. Not that I hate it, I just don't remember /doing/ it..

Eh, I think it was you. Anyway, in an argument over the power scale of fighters vs. wizards, someone posted a clip of Gourry in action. I asked what series it was from, heard Slayers, and watched every episode ever made in about a week.

I think it was you. Maybe not. Let me check.

Rutee
2008-05-04, 01:21 AM
RoLW is DnD played straight, as it's an anime made about their DnD game.

Slayers is DnD played for laughs.

Eh, I think it was you. Anyway, in an argument over the power scale of fighters vs. wizards, someone posted a clip of Gourry in action. I asked what series it was from, heard Slayers, and watched every episode ever made in about a week.

I wouldn't have posted a link to a video of it, but I would have commented that Slayers was DnD played for laughs, yes. So thank the other person XD

Kizara
2008-05-04, 01:26 AM
RoLW is DnD played straight, as it's an anime made about their DnD game.

Slayers is DnD played for laughs.

I wouldn't have posted a link to a video of it, but I would have commented that Slayers was DnD played for laughs, yes. So thank the other person XD

If I were going to the video store to rent some of one of these series (RoLW or Slayers) what would you reccomend?

Keep in mind I cannot stand Wuxia presented seriously (Legend of the 5 Rings, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc), or Naruto/DBZ.

Rutee
2008-05-04, 01:27 AM
Whichever one suits your mood. Neither is presented with Wuxia; Nobody comes close, ever. Parn and Gourry are both straight Fighters.

I'd recommend just adapting to Wuxia, as I legitimately have a block that makes me incapable of empathy on the subject of not accepting eastern fantasy tropes.

streakster
2008-05-04, 01:36 AM
Found it. It was Nowhere Girl who reccomended it.

How did I confuse those two names?

...I'm going senile:smallfrown:

DrowVampyre
2008-05-04, 01:49 AM
If I were going to the video store to rent some of one of these series (RoLW or Slayers) what would you reccomend?

Keep in mind I cannot stand Wuxia presented seriously (Legend of the 5 Rings, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc), or Naruto/DBZ.

Haven't seen much Slayers, but what I have was good. Lodoss is the quintessential fantasy anime, as far as I'm concerned. BUt be careful when you go - there are 2 Record of Lodoss War series - the original OVA one and Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Both are good, but the original is better, in my opinion. And it starts earlier, which you want. Cause if you start with Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, you'll be wondering who these people are. ^_-

Attilargh
2008-05-04, 02:02 AM
Paint the warforged in your party red, then argue that his base land speed just tripled.
There is a difference between "three times faster" and "three times as fast", y'know. :smallwink: (And if we want to stay really true to the source, it'd only add about 10 feet to his speed.)

You forgot the CHESTOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Alternatively to this, just use your local stereo to blare TROMBE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-0-KyPd0Y) whenever it's your turn.
You're supposed to blare Trombe! when it's anyone's turn. Real men overwrite your BGM and dare you to do something about it, remember? :smalltongue: Also, can't find a vid of a proper Chestoooooah!

Keep in mind I cannot stand Wuxia presented seriously (Legend of the 5 Rings...)
L5R isn't wuxia. :smallconfused: It's a Kurosawaesque samurai game.

Squash Monster
2008-05-04, 02:08 AM
Race: Catfolk
Class: Swordsage (rethink the unarmed bit)
Feats: Monkey Grip, Quick Draw
Skills: Slight of hand
Important Items: Really big hammer, bag of holding (keep the former in the latter when not in use)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-04, 02:13 AM
You're supposed to blare Trombe! when it's anyone's turn. Real men overwrite your BGM and dare you to do something about it, remember? :smalltongue: Also, can't find a vid of a proper Chestoooooah!On the first one, I didn't really think that sentence through. You're right.

On the second one, I can't find Sanger doing it, but there's always Gespy Kick ver. Kusuha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Z3DIbrtR0) (this vid known as the "irony edition"). That machine is a bad influence on proper young ladies...or maybe it's from hanging out with Bullet too much.

EDIT: Rutee provides! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjJkYyMbLA)

NephandiMan
2008-05-04, 02:49 AM
If you don't mind going with more obscure references, there's Kamina's immortal line from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: "A real man never dies even if he's killed!" Appropriate for any hot-blooded character, especially if he wields a Big F**king Sword and charges into combat without a second thought, and doubly appropriate in a game where it can be literally true.

Fiery Diamond
2008-05-04, 03:38 AM
Race: Catfolk
Class: Swordsage (rethink the unarmed bit)
Feats: Monkey Grip, Quick Draw
Skills: Slight of hand
Important Items: Really big hammer, bag of holding (keep the former in the latter when not in use)

Sonic the Hedgehog reference (Amy Rose)?

-Fiery Diamond

Durendal
2008-05-04, 03:53 AM
You should look up Hak Foo from Jackie Chan Adventures. This guy used to yell the name of his ridiculous attacks before attacking. Urban Dictionary has a list of some of his better attacks.

poignant123
2008-05-04, 04:33 AM
When meeting things with tentacles, send female party members first. Don't clarify, just tell them. Also cast prestidigitation to change your hair colour.

And why not make references to Code Geass, as there happens a geas spell so conveniently in DnD.

When entering taverns, demand to know why the barmaids aren't dressed as "real" maids.

Otherwise just yell a lot of "HISSATSU!" before attacks.

NephandiMan
2008-05-04, 04:39 AM
When entering taverns, demand to know why the barmaids aren't dressed as "real" maids.

Better: demand nymphs in maid uniforms.

poignant123
2008-05-04, 05:27 AM
Just make a comprehensive list of fetishes and somehow include them into your phrases and antics.

Just a few:
Loli (hit on every girl under 12)
Catgirl(as said before)
Maid(as said before)
Tsundere (hit on girls who dislike you)

Actually all of those have to do with women... >_>

Starshade
2008-05-04, 09:17 AM
Make use of tieflings, either as a pink haired anime girl with cat ears ("yes mr DM, its of Rakshasa origin), and argue you want a cat tail as well as a 3.feature. Or rip off Inu Yasha.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-04, 11:24 AM
While the game will probably go very badly, this thread is made of win.

Squash Monster
2008-05-04, 12:13 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog reference (Amy Rose)?

-Fiery DiamondIn 57% of anime, the female (catgirl) protagonist can pull a giant hammer out of nowhere at any time.

Da Beast
2008-05-05, 10:51 PM
While the game will probably go very badly, this thread is made of win.

I'm kind of worried that the DM will do a rocks fall you die as soon as I start falcon punching things.

poignant123
2008-05-06, 07:01 AM
Your aura of power is so great the rocks disintegrate when they come near you.

Hunter Noventa
2008-05-06, 08:29 AM
Do not be suprised if the old fashioned "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is replaced with the following:

Haruhi is Bored. The entire Plane ceases to exist.

Drascin
2008-05-06, 09:25 AM
Do not be suprised if the old fashioned "Rocks fall, everyone dies" is replaced with the following:

Haruhi is Bored. The entire Plane ceases to exist.

You know, I don't think I would mind a TPK that much if it were done that way :smalltongue:. Give me a chance to fight a Shinjin or two before going down and I wouldn't even protest. Of course, I am the kind of person to try to play a Cleric of Haruhi anyway, so that's to be expected :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-06, 09:27 AM
Y'know, fighting Shinji Ikari as a psychotic berserker dragon would be awesome. Gotta find a way to implement it.

Ryver
2008-05-06, 09:28 AM
You should look up Hak Foo from Jackie Chan Adventures. This guy used to yell the name of his ridiculous attacks before attacking. Urban Dictionary has a list of some of his better attacks.
This is gold, and exactly what I was going to suggest.

A good list of them can be found here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hak-Foo). If you're creative enough to think up your own shouts on the fly, this can lead to a lot of laughing.

Hunter Noventa
2008-05-06, 10:17 AM
Y'know, fighting Shinji Ikari as a psychotic berserker dragon would be awesome. Gotta find a way to implement it.

It would have to be purple. And make liberal use of walls of force that fail if he fails a will save. And then go into a rage and eat you.

EDIT: And then agonize about it afterwards like a spineless wimp.

That or Shinji is a Sorcerer who only know the Dragonshape spell from PHB 2, modded to turn him into the above.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-06, 10:24 AM
Hmm....so, Colossal + Whirling frenzy barb who either took multiweapon fighting or went ubercharger? And with quite a few quickened SLA's?

huttj509
2008-05-06, 10:43 AM
Re: Lodoss War.

Parn really is a dnd fighter. What does he do at the start of the series? Run up and hit things with his sword. What does he do by the end? Run up and hit things with his sword, but now it works.

Attilargh
2008-05-06, 11:20 AM
What does he do by the end? Run up and hit things with his sword, but now it works.
So, uh, what did he multi-class into?

Shademan
2008-05-06, 11:41 AM
Have the group searching for a toddler. they find it in a small tibetian temple with a monk who only speak in poetic riddles. have some ****ass strong servants of the main villain show up. i suppose things end up in combat. when things start to go bad for the pc's the monk joins the battle.
guess what level the monk is in??? 10monk/10druid!

ah, i love stargate.

Telonius
2008-05-06, 02:06 PM
Video game references?

Wizard shooting a fireball / Warlock using eldritch blast: Shout, "Ha-dou-ken!" (This works well for command word items, too).
Any sort of firebreathing: "Yoga Flame!"
Your patron is about to send you out on a quest. "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!"
And, the ultimate annoyance. You have destroyed the BBEG. "Thank you, but the princess is in another castle."

Bryn
2008-05-06, 05:00 PM
Offer them cake.

You can probably see where I'm going with this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_%28video_game%29)

AslanCross
2008-05-06, 05:10 PM
Then which maneuver will "Hikari ni Nare" ("Become the Light") fit? (GaoGaiGar reference. when main mecha, GaoGaiGar smashes the Hammer into the enemy, it disintegrates enemy into photon particles)

Ancient Mountain Hammer. (That can actually be Goldion Crusher, actually, while Elder Mountain Hammer can be the regular Goldion Hammer.) I'd say Mountain Tombstone, but that doesn't work on undead or constructs, so no Zonder busting for you.

Anyway, OP:
-Name some recurring villains after Metal Gear bosses, like "The End," "Fortune," etc.

-Cheesy (but awesome) lines from Gurren Lagann by the bard: "Believe in me, who believes in you!" "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!"

-A high-level beguiler NPC who is a disenfranchised noble trying to start a rebellion. He likes using charm person and dominate person to get what he wants. He must also enjoy making elaborate hand movements. Not sure if geas is actually on the beguiler spell list, though.

EDIT: Oh, so you're not the DM. NVM the last one, then.

BAWORU REREESU (I'll leave you to figure that one out)

I want to LOL so hard, just that I'm at the breakfast table and I don't want to freak my grandmother out.
And that reminds me of this. (http://dra-mata.com/manga/4koma/old/impact32.jpg)

Collin152
2008-05-06, 06:34 PM
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=animepower

This generator Allows you to create an Attack name of Some Considerable Size, based on 3 different Catagories.

You can generate Upto One Hundred names at once... :D

Using Brutal/Destructive, Cutting/Slicing, and Killing, I got:
Bolt Crazed Omni Slice

Protective Enchantment: Bewitching Cloud Hurricane

It almost makes sense, too.

Restraining Charm: Battler Tornado

It always seems to be the second to last word I dislike.

Bloody Enchanting: Atmosphere Executioner

I have a new technique name.

Pure. Gold.

The Sandman
2008-05-08, 12:18 AM
I'm kind of worried that the DM will do a rocks fall you die as soon as I start falcon punching things.

Not if you use this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=14333339#post14333339) custom prestige class! :smallbiggrin: :smallcool:

Rogue 7
2008-05-08, 12:23 AM
I just might have to use that one sometime.

SadisticFishing
2008-05-08, 12:27 PM
OVER NINE THOUSAND!?

Make some ridiculous claims. If a bad guy starts giving a speech, interrupt him to say:

"You have no chance! I am over THREE HUNDRED TRILLION times more powerful than you!"

Knowing your average anime baddie, he'll probably spend a few episodes flashing back - kill him as he does so.

The Sandman
2008-05-08, 06:34 PM
Offer them cake.

You can probably see where I'm going with this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_%28video_game%29)

...Sigil? :smallconfused:

SurlySeraph
2008-05-08, 07:02 PM
Protective Enchantment: Bewitching Cloud Hurricane

It almost makes sense, too.

Restraining Charm: Battler Tornado

It always seems to be the second to last word I dislike.

Bloody Enchanting: Atmosphere Executioner

I have a new technique name.

Pure. Gold.

I like my Necrotic Cancelling Cancellation Pretty Tomb Buster, myself.

Weiser_Cain
2008-05-08, 11:04 PM
Before you strike the final blow explain in great detail why it is they stood no chance from the moment they were born to ever defeat you.

Jack Zander
2008-05-09, 01:44 PM
Just for you.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd109/sexaypattimon/AnimeAttackTable-1.gif

Kizara
2008-05-09, 04:37 PM
Just for you.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd109/sexaypattimon/AnimeAttackTable-1.gif

Where the heck you get that from? Got a weblink?

Jack Zander
2008-05-10, 12:10 AM
I'm Patrick Timon. I made it in excel in about an hour, just for this thread.

I printed out a copy for my gaming session tonight and we all got a good laugh from it.

FreiSchultz
2008-05-10, 02:50 AM
Three words: Three.Sword.Style

Tola
2008-05-10, 09:49 AM
Go ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA when doing a punching combo/flurry/hell of a lot of attacks.

....Don't be silly.

There is only one accepted cry for that sort of attack. ONE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3jYkZMqqA