PDA

View Full Version : Help us help Bor!

Shadow
2008-05-02, 09:57 AM
UPDATE:
I removed the links to the donation site.
WE DID IT!

My friends:

Our beloved Bor, the Barbarian Monk is in need of our help.
His brother is having major health issues at the moment, and Bor needs to get to Tennessee as soon as possible to go see him.
Original post is here. (link removed) (Opps. Guess I could've left that one. :smallfrown: )
The problem is that he simply doesn't have the money.
When I heard about this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70958&page=16) from him I thought about how I would feel in that situation. All I know is that I'd want to go see my brother. So I offered to help.

Others followed, and offered their help.
In a matter of minutes we had $300 bucks thrown together for him, and that was just a handful of us!

Over the next couple of hours, the situation seemed to alleviate somewhat, and the efforts were halted.
The follow up post is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4270705&postcount=483) Unfortunately things haven't turned for the better, as originally thought.

So I'm putting the call out to the rest of you. If you want to help, whether it be one dollar or a hundred, anything that can be collected will aid the cause.

I asked a friend of mine if he'd be so kind as to let me use his site (link removed), which already has a store, to collect any funds offered (as the mechanism to get this done was already in place there). Much to my pleasure, he agreed, so I gave him a few details about the situation so that he could place the appropriate post there. It's a bartender's site, so simply ignore the "shot and a beer" thing. He did it so that it felt at home on the site. Hey, he's doing me a favor. Who am I to complain?

I'll be paying for the flight personally, while any donations on my friend's site will go to reimburse that payment.** Somewhat. Hopefully. How much I end up helping will largely depend on how much others decide to help (both here and elsewhere).

So if you happen to have:
1) an extra dollar or twenty
2) a Pay Pal account or credit/debit card
3) a love for Bor
then please CLICK THIS LINK (link removed) and show him that you care by giving a few bucks. Help us get him to Tennessee!

Time is of the essence! Flights get exponentially more expensive the longer you wait to book them. The longer this takes, the more money will be needed! Unfortunately this means that the longer this takes, the less likely it is that it'll happen! If you're going to donate, do it now!
Absolutely any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
If you are at all uncomfortable with this, I understand completely and thank you anyway for taking the time to read it.

Again, CLICK HERE TO HELP US GET BOR TO HIS BROTHER. (link removed)
Every little bit truly will help. Thank you in advance.

** As this is a last minute fund raiser for our friend: If, by some miracle, we happen to EXCEED the amount needed in donations, I will offer refunds to those involved based on the amount donated. That seems the most fair to me, IF it comes to pass. To ensure that this is actually possible, please PM me or post here when/if you donate indicating that you did so.

Narmoth
2008-05-02, 10:38 AM
Good initiative.
You have my support*

--------------------------
*-Bor allready knows that he has mine support as well

banjo1985
2008-05-02, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a great cause to me!

Bor, time to pay you back for all the help you've given to so many of us!

I'll be contributing a little bit, just as soon as I get to a computer with proper security on it, 24 hours at the latest.

Be well Bor.

thubby
2008-05-02, 11:11 AM
I really hate to bring this up. but i think someone has to.
can we trust him? i mean, this is a classic scam.

Bor, you have my deepest sympathies, but I've seen too many people lose good money to con men to not at least consider it. please don't hate/kill me Y,Y

Narmoth
2008-05-02, 11:21 AM

Bor, you have my deepest sympathies, but I've seen too many people lose good money to con men to not at least consider it. please don't hate/kill me Y,Y

Well, I've known Bor for more than a year now, and I really, really wish this was a scam. That someone can be so let down by family and the state that he isn't even able to get to his brother in hospital is outrageous.

And yes, I'd kill you and steal your wallet for the benefit of Bor if I only was able to get to you.

Shadow
2008-05-02, 11:38 AM

Which is exactly why I said:
If you are at all uncomfortable with this, I understand completely and thank you anyway for taking the time to read it.
Apparently you fall into this category.
That's fine.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

SMEE
2008-05-02, 11:48 AM
I have to wait at least 7 days until I get my international credit card so I can help with a bit.

Once I get I'll contact you Shadow, so I can reimburse you part of the money you spent with the plane ticket.

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-02, 12:31 PM
That was quick, Shadow. I love this community. Bor, you'll hear this over and over again, I'm certain, but Alarra and I are keeping you in our thoughts and wishing your brother the best.

InaVegt
2008-05-02, 12:33 PM
Bor, if I wasn't short on money myself, I'd send money your way. Unfortunately enough, I need more additional money than I receive in several months.

*hugs Bor*

Zakama
2008-05-02, 01:02 PM
:smallfurious: Dang it, I'm a minor. Hence no Pay-Pal account. But like I said in AIM, Bor, thoughts and prayers, mate, thoughts and prayers.

Arokh
2008-05-02, 01:28 PM
Hmmm...Well, given that today was a good day for me, and that a few bucks won't hurt me too much, I guess I could try to make somebody else's day.
Hope it helps, good luck to you guy.

So long, Arokh.

Jack Squat
2008-05-02, 02:23 PM
I'll toss some in.

Bor, where in TN is your brother?

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-02, 03:48 PM
I've tossed some in as well. I may be able to manage some more once the economic stimulus check / tax rebate from the Govt. arrives.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-02, 05:06 PM
First, allow me to address Thubby's concerns. And, trust me, Thubby, I'd have them too. So...Stuart Meadows, commonly known as Stu to friends and family, is in Parkwest Medical Center in Knoxville, TN. It doesn't seem to matter what hour I call the hospital, there's always someone that answers the line; none of that automated nonsense. The phone number to the hospital is 865-373-1000. They will not release private information, but I imagine you can call and ask if he's still in the critical care unit.

Beyond that, there's no way I can honestly prove whether this is a scam or not. From the bottom of my heart, I wish it was. But then I'd insist Shadow call the the "Help us get Bor a 108" flatscreen TV" thread. I'm just not like that, and I certainly wouldn't take advantage of my friends in such a way.

Now, I just hung up the phone with Nicki, my brother's wife. Stu is stable for the time being, but remains in serious condition. What's more, she told me that my father was sent to the hospital today for wound care on his legs. I'll be calling my step-mom later to find out what's going on there. This isn't the first time this has happened with my Dad, so I'm not as worried about him as I am my brother.

G-d, it just never ends!

Anyway, I have already started raving about this wonderful community. When old friends and family couldn't/wouldn't come to my aid, you folks have. It's your desire to help that gives me a bit of extra strength.

Oh...Almost forgot. A little snag in all this planning, and that's that my doctor couldn't see me today. I'm going to run out of meds while I'm in TN, so I wanted to get prescriptions and have him call the insurance company for an override so I could have what I need while away. Unfortunately, the soonest I can be seen in Monday at 3:30.

I know I'm forgetting something else, but when I remember, I'll post again.

Thank you all.

+Rob

Edit: As I thought, Dad is being hospitalized more as a precautionary measure. I'm not so worried aout him now, as my step-mom sounds to be in good spirits.
+R

Narmoth
2008-05-02, 05:46 PM
From the bottom of my heart, I wish it was. But then I'd insist Shadow call the the "Help us get Bor a 108" flatscreen TV" thread.

The idea isn't bad. We'll just have to find more gullible people:smallsmile:

The Extinguisher
2008-05-02, 06:34 PM
I'd love to contribute, but I have no money whatsoever, and no way to send it anyway.

But I'm donating in spirit. And if that bill passes, spirit dollars should count for something real.

AmberVael
2008-05-02, 06:56 PM
But then I'd insist Shadow call the the "Help us get Bor a 108" flatscreen TV" thread.

The idea isn't bad. We'll just have to find more gullible people:smallsmile:
Flatscreen TV? That's some kind of medical device, right? Oh, let me help! :smalltongue:

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-02, 06:59 PM
@Flame Master Axel (and any others)

You can always post a request in the other parts of the OOTS forums that you frequent asking them to take a look at this thread (I just did this in WereWolf Central) There are plenty of forumites that don't frequent the Friendly Banter forums. It's only in the past few months that I've started visiting them with any frequency.

I also just got the idea to sig this for a while, so I'm doing that too.

DarkLightDragon
2008-05-02, 07:09 PM
Bor, I *really* wish I could help, but I myself don't have money and I can't use paypal due to being underage, so I'll make do with this: *giant hug*

ForzaFiori
2008-05-02, 07:48 PM
If i could, i'd send in all my spare cash. But, like so many others, i'm a minor, and my mom wouldn't let me do it, she's too paranoid. My thoughts are with you though, and i'll ask all my friends to keep you in their's also.

Edit: If you don't mind Bor, would you post a picture of your brother? My girlfriend is Wiccan, and offered to try to help heal him, but she'd need a picture. This is all if your ok with it of course. But i figure it can't hurt, and its the least I can do.

Mr. Moon
2008-05-02, 08:09 PM
*hugs Bor* You know if I could, I'd send some money. But sadly I must echo the cry of "minor, no money, no paypal, paraniod mother". But my prayers will be with you, and your brother, you can be sure of that.

DarkLightDragon
2008-05-02, 08:14 PM
I decided that since I can't help with money, I'll make a banner for us to put in our sigs:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/Frebedor/GitP%20Avatars/helpborbanner.png

Code:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/Frebedor/GitP%20Avatars/helpborbanner.png (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4275523#post4275523)

TigerHunter
2008-05-02, 08:31 PM
Even if this was a scam, which I will eat nails before I believe, I wouldn't care. Bor deserves everything in my pocket (ok, there's nothing in my pocket right now, but you know what I mean) and more for what he's done for me alone, not to mention countless others.

The quote in Bor's signature is the best summary of him that has ever been written.

Be well, Bor. :smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2008-05-02, 08:47 PM
...Parkwest Medical Center in Knoxville, TN...

I know where that is...and have oddly walked from there to the mall (about 4 miles) on a whim, but that's another story.

If I had for a second thought that this was a scam, I wouldn't have donated anything...and honestly, if it was a scam, you'd still probably deserve the money.

Shadow
2008-05-02, 09:20 PM
My mother refuses to allow me to set up a PayPal account. Is there anyway I could send money to you through the mail?
While I wholeheartedly appreciate the offer, any minor wishing to donate must first receive your parents' blessing.

Bor and I are adults, as are many of the people that have been offering aide. As such, we can do as we will with our money, but the minors wishing to join in must get parents' permission.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I can even imagine anyone's parents agreeing to this.
So I guess this one is only for forumites over the age of 18.

We do appreciate your well wishes and offer for help, but to actually accept the money from a minor would be a mistake on my part. It's just a recipe for disater.
As I've told a select few others with different questions: I don't want to create any problems by attempting to solve a different one.

But thank you for the thoughts.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-02, 09:34 PM
Alright, you have my support. :smallsmile:

Lilly
2008-05-02, 09:49 PM
Oh...Almost forgot. A little snag in all this planning, and that's that my doctor couldn't see me today. I'm going to run out of meds while I'm in TN, so I wanted to get prescriptions and have him call the insurance company for an override so I could have what I need while away. Unfortunately, the soonest I can be seen in Monday at 3:30.
+R

There's a way around being seen to get your meds. Call your pharmacy, and have them call your doctor for refills. You can have them explain that these are just going to be even partial refills and that you are going out of town (tell them your story too, I have a feeling that your pharmacy staff knows you pretty well). The doctor can call them back with refills on all your critical medications, and they can call the insurance company for you and request a vacation override if it comes back as being refill too soon. You can try to get this done before you leave, but if it's not possible (seeing as it's a weekend, and golf season) you can have the doctor call in the prescription into your pharmacy there, and pick them up at a branch of the chain in TN. The pharmacy in TN can then call the insurance company if need be. Or, you can even go to a completly different pharmacy, just make sure you have your insurance card.

And if worse comes to worse pharmacies occasionally lend non-controlled medications. Also you're going to be at a hospital some of the time. There are doctors there. Somebody could probably write you an emergency few day script if you really need it.

Jae
2008-05-02, 10:37 PM
Wow. I really admire how much you all care about eachother here.

best wishes, bor. i hope all turns out well. :smallsmile:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-02, 11:39 PM
To All Minors: My apologies, but your money is no good here. I could not and WOULD not accept money from someone under the age of 18. It's out of the question. I wouldn't even let you covertly send me cash via snail mail. So forget it.

If, however, you think your parents would be willing help, have them read this thread and check its links. Then, if THEY wish to make a small contribution, that's fine. Otherwise, just leave your best wishes here. Thanks. :smallsmile:

@ Lilly: A gold star for trying, but the doc can't call in for a controlled substance. Not in AZ, anyway. Not sure about the rest of the U.S. Also, I need a scrip for Keflex, and maybe more Bactrim. Amidst all my fretting over my brother, I haven't made much mention about slicing open my foot and that it's mildly infected. He needs to see that before writing for anything. Also, if he has Ansef in his office, I'm going to ask for a shot of that. (It'll hurt, but better that my butt hurt for a few hours than worry about my foot AT ALL! I also want to know if he wants to up my Zocor. I also want to consult him on possibly using electrical stimulation on my atriphied hands. I also want to know if he has a magic wand so I can fix many things in the world.

All others: Just got off the phone with my brother's nurse, Phil. (I mean that I paused in the writing of this to get an update.) No exciting events today. His BP is still high, but not fluctuating as much. His oxygen saturation remains an issue, hanging around 90, and that's while he's on 100% oxygen. Now, I had a similar problem after surgery, when an intibation tube scratched my throat and caused blood to trickly into my throat. My ox-sat bounced between an acceptable 97 down to an unacceptable 89. I asked Phil about what's causing my brother's issue, and it may have been the period when his kidney had shut down. The stent is working, and the kidney is functioning again, but it takes a while for it to get back to 100%. Because of the kidney issue, there's a build-up of fluids that is slowing down his ability to absorb oxygen.

Now, I've remembered what I wanted to say earlier.

As I explained to Shadow before this thread went up, I need help getting...somewhere. It's one of two places. My most hopeful destination is TN, where my brother is now. My least hopeful destination is NY, where the family burial plot is. (Yes, the latter remains a possibility until my brother is completely stable.) For this reason, the plan is to get the money directly into my hands. It would be so much easier to use the money landing in a Paypal account to simply buy an e-ticket to where I need to go, but exploring Paypal showed that it would be easier to buy a cruise than to set up an emergency flight to where I need to be. Only a few airlines are listed on Paypal, and I find that...irksome.

What will your money be used for, exactly? Well, I'm going to need help getting to and from the airports. Cab fare, my friends. Feeding the omnivorus Bor is also on that list. Then there's the flight, which, if you look at sites like Expedia.com or Travelocity.com, you'll see what prices I'm up against there. Look up a trip made at last minute for only a few days, and it seems the prices skyrocket.

"But...Bor, your sister-in-law can pick you up. Why waste money on cab fare?" I have made a vow to her not to be a burden in ANY way. She has her husband in a critical care unit. She has a five-year-old to care for at home. I cannot and will not become something else she needs to worry about. With your generosity, I'll be doing this all under my own power.

My apologies, mf11, but I can't find any pics of my brother. Here's one of my nephew several years ago, when he discovered the wonder that is toilet paper:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z269/AlwaysWrite/Xander04.jpg

And a more recent pic, where he's starting to look more and more like my brother:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z269/AlwaysWrite/Xander_11-07.jpg

I'm hoping your girlfriend can work a little "voodoo" through his son, who can really use his daddy.

I'm really quite the open soul when I worry about someone. I went out today to get my rent money, and I saw a woman reading her Bible on the bus. I asked her to add my brother to her prayers.

At the bank, the teller asked me how I was doing. I vented once again, and a woman who overheard me gently touched my shoulder and said she would pray for Stu. The thread...you people...those people...You're all helping my in ways you cannot truly understand unless you could feel the warmth in my heart.

Well, my meds have me in full-babble mode. Ultimately, while in distress over my brother, you folks are keeping me from going into full-panic mode again. And I simply can't thank you enough.

+Rob

Raistlin1040
2008-05-03, 12:02 AM
*Sighs* Minor, can't send because you wouldn't accept it (I don't think my parents would like it either). What's worse though, is knowing, that without taking anything out of my savings account or college fund, I've got something like $150 dollars saved up from my job and allowance that I consdier "Random spending money". I don't know how much it's worth, but it'd be something right?

But of course, everyone knows that Bor is way too much of a nice guy to ever accept the pocket money of a forumload of teenagers.

Midnight Son
2008-05-03, 12:12 AM
Bless you and your brother, Bor. I hope whatever hardships you both endure will end up strengthening your bonds and you both come through this okay. Dare I say, I hope it helps with the rest of your family as well.

May the sun rise on a new and pleasant day for you and yours.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-03, 07:11 AM
Bor, I wish your brother and you well wishes. I sincerely hope that your brother will be fine and that you can visit him.
Shadow, bless you for your concern.

Bor! Hold on! Life 's a piece of **** but we can make the best out of it!!
Please! PM or post here if you want to talk! We(Or atleast me) will always be ready to listen to you and try to help!

Paypall says : Send Bor to Tennessee

Total: $20,00USD

I'm not sure if it got through, and if inter-continent is as fast, I just hope you and your brother get out alright Rob!

My best wishes to you and your brother.

Shadowcaller
2008-05-03, 07:41 AM
I'm quite new to the forum so I do not really know anyone yet but I would want to help Bor anyway, sorryfull I do not have a creditcard, paypal (or american dollars for that matter).
But I still want to help a bit thought by putting the "help bor banner" in my signature, that is the least I can do.

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-03, 08:16 AM
Alas, I am a dead-broke man. Your family has my prayers, though.

Jack Squat
2008-05-03, 12:02 PM
Bor, depending on where you stay, you may only need to hire a cab to get from the airport and back. the KAT (Knoxville Area Transportation) have a decent amount of destinations, and should be able to get you mostly where you need to go. I know for a fact that the 11 A/B buses head out to Parkside, and it at least should stop near plenty of restraunts (I know there's a few nearby once you hit downtown...haven't ridden it outwest enough to know it's stops off the top of my head).

At $1.25 per ride, they're pretty cheap, but there may be a bit of walking involved, as with all public transportation. Keep in mind that they also come by every 1/2 hour, although sometimes it does take longer.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-03, 12:15 PM
Is it possible to have a smile of frustration? Because that's what I have going right now.

I'm reminded of the first post I made on the Depression Thread II, where I said that no one's problems are petty. You have an issue, you some and say what you feel you need to get off your chest, and we - the regulars of the DT - will do our best to lend a hand. Still, posts appear that start, "Sorry if my problems seem petty, but..." or "Compared to others, my problems are all that important..."

So I'm looking over this thread, and people are apologizing for not having money, or bring unable to send what they have, or for being a minor. And it almost reads, "Oh, Bor...I'm sorry I'm a human being. Can you ever forgive me?" No, I can't. How DARE you be human!? My army of ninja penguins have been dispatched to your location. Just wait there for a silent and swift death.

Really, folks. There's no need to apologize. I'm pleased enough that my brother and I are in your thoughts.

Raistlin1040: A teenager that's saved money? NO WAY! :smallwink: I know you want to help, but I won't, as they say, "take candy from a baby." And $150? Why do I get the feeling you want to send all of that? Again, but more seriously...NO WAY!

Look, I don't want the youths to feel they're being maliciously kept out of this, but they money you have has been earned through a hard process of growing up and perhaps working your first job. Many of the adults have their needs and wants fulfilled, and that bit of extra they're donating is just that: extra. For you younger folks, it's not "extra" yet. Not sure if that's making complete sense, as I woke only a short bit ago, but...No. And no "stealth" donations, either. I find out, and I will feel terrible about it. It's not about being nice, which you claimed, Raist, but more about morals. The way adults should solicite a minor for sex, and adult should solicite a minor for money. There...THAT made more sense.

Midnight Son: Thanks. You've actually given me food for thought. All I ask is that you not do any of your praying while riding that monster bike of yours. Fastest way to get hurt is to pray for my brother and I while speeding along at 55 MPH. :smallwink:

Shadowcaller: If you don't know me or feel comfortable helping, that's fine. Thubby put up his concerns, and if you think for one moment I'm upset with him, you got another think coming. With events as they are these days, he has every right to be suspicious. There are those, however, who know me since I joined these forums. I live in a state of financial crisis. This is the very first time I've ever asked, openly, for help. Thanks for putting the banner in your sig, though. :smallredface:

Nexus: See above, you horrible, horrible HUMAN! :smalltongue:

For those noticing a lightening in my mood, it's because of several factors.

1. My brother is stable, but in serious condition. This is much better than being in completely unstable condition.
2. My Dad, while also in the hospital, is not there for anything fatal. He's had problems with his legs for years, now, and the most serious issue was years ago, when they had to operate in the middle of the night to remove an infection. He has no infection this time; he's being hospitalized to avoid that.
3. Your help will be on the way soon...I think. Then I can solidify my plans to see my brother.

Taking up D-K on the offer to vent, the most frustrating factor in all this is the inability to talk to my brother. There's a phone jack in his room, and they could bring him a phone...but part of his treatment, apparently, is to keep him conscious as little as possible. They're now giving him diloted (SP?) for pain, and...well, I'd LOVE to talk to him while he's on that. :smallbiggrin: (For those who don't know, 1 mg. of diloted equates to 4 mg. of morhpine.) But more than the fun of talking to my wacky brother while wacked out on pain meds, I'd want to just hear his own voice.

I'm off to call my beloved Juile in NY and give her an update. Thank you all so much! :smallredface:

+Rob

Pre-post Edit: (Saw this while previewing.) Jack, part of the issue is when I travel. I could take a couple of buses to the airport here in AZ, but if I leave extremely early in the morning, I may not get there in time. If I arrive exceptionally late in TN, the buses may not be running at that hour. The motel, however, is in walking distance of the hospital, and they offer a discounted rate for hospital visitors. I just want that cab fair in my pocket, rather than find I need it and not have it. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Skippy
2008-05-03, 01:56 PM
I'm without internet for three days and suddenly Bor is in need? I wish I had seen this before!

I also wish the guys at work had already payed me so I could help, too... *curses system*

All I can do for now is offer prayers, hugs and my best wishes, Bor!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-03, 04:34 PM
Just got off the phone with Nicki.

Stu's BP seems to have come down to a semi-acceptable level. Still high, but not 170 over whatever. There is a build up of fluid in his lungs, and his oxygen saturation has been dropping to as low as 80. The lack of oxygen is causing him to become easily agitated and confused, and Nicki has warned the hospital staff that my brother may need to be restrained so that he won't keep pulling off the oxygen equipment.

I'm becoming drained over the emotional rollercoaster this whole thing is. I'm going to place a few calls, then take a nap if I can. I'll probably post again later after I've spoken with his night nurse.

+Rob

Nychta
2008-05-03, 06:27 PM
Is it possible to have a smile of frustration? Because that's what I have going right now.

I'm reminded of the first post I made on the Depression Thread II, where I said that no one's problems are petty. You have an issue, you some and say what you feel you need to get off your chest, and we - the regulars of the DT - will do our best to lend a hand. Still, posts appear that start, "Sorry if my problems seem petty, but..." or "Compared to others, my problems are all that important..."

So I'm looking over this thread, and people are apologizing for not having money, or bring unable to send what they have, or for being a minor. And it almost reads, "Oh, Bor...I'm sorry I'm a human being. Can you ever forgive me?" No, I can't. How DARE you be human!? My army of ninja penguins have been dispatched to your location. Just wait there for a silent and swift death.

Really, folks. There's no need to apologize. I'm pleased enough that my brother and I are in your thoughts.

Raistlin1040: A teenager that's saved money? NO WAY! :smallwink: I know you want to help, but I won't, as they say, "take candy from a baby." And $150? Why do I get the feeling you want to send all of that? Again, but more seriously...NO WAY!

Look, I don't want the youths to feel they're being maliciously kept out of this, but they money you have has been earned through a hard process of growing up and perhaps working your first job. Many of the adults have their needs and wants fulfilled, and that bit of extra they're donating is just that: extra. For you younger folks, it's not "extra" yet. Not sure if that's making complete sense, as I woke only a short bit ago, but...No. And no "stealth" donations, either. I find out, and I will feel terrible about it. It's not about being nice, which you claimed, Raist, but more about morals. The way adults should solicite a minor for sex, and adult should solicite a minor for money. There...THAT made more sense.
*snippety-snip*

I'ma gonna defy you, and apologise for not being able to contribute. I don't have a credit card, and my parents believe it's a scam, (and pretty much that I shouldn't be "talking" to you weird people :smalltongue:,) so I'm not borrowing theirs.
With me, I consider the money I earn "extra" because most of my essentials are still paid for. I don't really need my money, but the way I see it, adults do, because they're fully looking after themselves.
So, in essence, I'm trying to find a way to donate money if an issue arises again... I'm sorry it didn't happen this time.

Midnight Son
2008-05-03, 07:01 PM
Midnight Son: Thanks. You've actually given me food for thought. All I ask is that you not do any of your praying while riding that monster bike of yours. Fastest way to get hurt is to pray for my brother and I while speeding along at 55 MPH. :smallwink:
What? Friends don't let friends pray and driveride?

InaVegt
2008-05-03, 07:06 PM
Bor, you're an awesome person and have helped me and many others many times. I feel like I should return the favor, and knowing that I lack the capability to do so hurts.

May whatever forces/beings there are guide and protect your brother.

TRM
2008-05-03, 08:17 PM
*sigh* As a broke minor saving for college, I can't donate anything V__V

But Bor, my best wishes go out to you and your brother. Hopefully it will all turn out for the best.

:smallsmile:

Uncle Festy
2008-05-03, 09:50 PM
Here's one of my nephew several years ago, when he discovered the wonder that is toilet paper:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z269/AlwaysWrite/Xander04.jpg

0.o
OMG.
Cutest.
Picture.
Evar.
Wish I could send some actual cash, but... like half the people in this thread, I can send no more then my best wishes.
All of them. Even the one I was saving in a jar somewhere. And I'll send Saurous' Happiness too, if he doesn't mind - and maybe even if he does. The thing could probably use a trip out of the AMEN base.
*hugs*

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-03, 10:26 PM
Tonight's nurse was Beverly. (And might I just pause for a moment to say how enchanting I find those southern accents?)

Stu remains in serious but stable condition. They have him on some kind of bypass to help with his oxygen levels, which is now confirmed as having gone as low as 80. As I understand it, he did manage to take off the oxygen mask, realized there was a major problem brewing without it, and they got it back on. He's behaved himself ever since.

There was mention of another procedure, in which they'll go in and try to physically remove the fluid in his lungs. As they don't want to traumatize his body, they're using meds first.

I called Smellie Hippie today. The therapist in him was all over me. :smallwink: We made tentative plans for him and Mountain Faerie to visit me in Knoxville when I get there. My greater concern was the hour and a half drive they'd have, but he wasn't worried about it.

I also discussed my desire to get out there ASAP. It's frustrating not being there when I want to. I want to be able to speak to doctors and nurses in person, not simply making all these calls.

Arrangements have been made for care for my cat. Much as I dislike the idea, I'll be giving my apartment keys over to a neighbor so she can come in and feed Nike.

On Monday morning, I am going to do laundry and pack a bag. Monday afternoon, I am seeing my doc to gather prescription. Somewhere between Monday night and Wednesday, I want to be on my way. Be it by flight, bus, giant slingshot...I don't care anymore. It depends on what funds are available, but I am going there to spend time. And why has this become such a great ordeal for me? Because I have failed to say three very important words to my brother over the years...

I love you.

And he will hear them in person.

As for you folks...Well, I love you guys, too. You're the family I never had. Thank you all for your continued support.

+Rob

Nychta
2008-05-03, 10:48 PM
Dammit, Bor, you just made me cry.
I'm sure your brother knows that you love him... and now I hope more than ever that you'll be able to tell him that.

I'm amazed at how positive you're staying. I guess it would be a lie to say I can't offer prayers, but they wouldn't be worth anything. So you have all my good vibes, wishes, hopes, and uncanny luck.

I'm tearing up again. It hurts not being able to help in a physical sense.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-03, 11:49 PM
Dammit, Bor, you just made me cry.
I'm sure your brother knows that you love him... and now I hope more than ever that you'll be able to tell him that.

I'm amazed at how positive you're staying. I guess it would be a lie to say I can't offer prayers, but they wouldn't be worth anything. So you have all my good vibes, wishes, hopes, and uncanny luck.

I'm tearing up again. It hurts not being able to help in a physical sense.
Oops...Didn't mean to make you cry, my dear. :smallredface:

You don't know me as long as many others here. When a crisis first hits, I panic. It can be seen in the unsure aspects of my first posts about the situation. (See the OP for links.) As I calm down, I try to keep positive, focus on other things, and set a goal, such as what I need to do.

One such incident was when I had a blood vessel burst in my eye. It's something that happens with diabetic retinopathy. I posted to the Depression Thread - I believe it was on the last incarnation of the thread - filled with panic over a growing black spot in my vision. Once I'd gotten that out of my system, I was on the phone, making arrangements to see a retinal specialist ASAP. I then went back to the DT and started addressing the problems of others. Smellie Hippie was rather stunned I was able to do that, claiming, I believe, "You win." :smallredface:

Speaking of Hippie, amidst my somewhat forced humor, I mentioned my fears of needing to travel to NY for a funeral instead of going to see my brother. I have horrible visions of Stu's aorta bursting, and them rushing him to surgery while he's still in such serious condition. Having seen my father after open-heart surgery, I can easily imagine my brother covered in tubes and wires, looking so vulnerable. Rather than focus on what MIGHT happen, I'm keeping my eye on what IS happening. And that's what's getting me through these rough days.

Oh...and...about Hippie. Well...There's some concern about a potential conflict with my biological mother. Rumor has it she's been hanging around the hospital. I suggested he and MF bring their kids. If I see my mother, I can grab the kids, push them toward her and shout, "Look! You have grandchildren! Go spoil them!" This silly plot got SH laughing, but I think it could work. We need to convince him to let me use his children. :smallwink:

In all seriousness, this is a BIG concern for various people. They fear there'll be open war between her and I when I show up. Her past "crimes" against me make things difficult. I sense there'll be no avoiding her. While I would rather level threats against her, the words of my late Uncle Jimmy come to mind. He wanted me to make peace with her. For the sake of my brother, I'm slowly coming to the point where this might be the best move. It will be infinitely difficult, and I doubt my "opponent" will be cooperative, but for my loved ones, I will do what I must to ensure their safety.

And for the record, my list of loved ones has been increasing over the last year. Some might think of them as "strangers I met in the internet," but I call them friends that I cherish dearly. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2008-05-03, 11:54 PM
How is the money situation now? How much has been raised, how much is needed, etc?

DarkLightDragon
2008-05-03, 11:58 PM
xNadia, prayers are always worth something.

Also posting again to remind everyone about the banner. The code for it is on the first page.

Finally, I give another *giant hug* to Bor! :smallsmile:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-04, 12:09 AM
How is the money situation now? How much has been raised, how much is needed, etc?
Excellent questions, Serp. I have no idea.

The original plan was to send me the money to use as needed. Since the word "scam" popped into the thread, I've been trying to figure out a way to avoid that, even though I would appreciate some of that money to cover expenses that can't be covered online. Shadow is leading this charge, so...

Shadow, where do we stand? The arrangements that can be made online, if possible, are the flight (if you've gathered enough) using e-tickets, and possibly the motel. The motel, if you can arrange it, should be made for the Econolodge in Knoxville on Parkwest Blvd. (It's closest to the hospital, making it easy for me to cane-walk there. They quoted me a price on the phone on $41.95 for someone visiting a patient in the hospital. The phone number for the motel is 865-693-6061.

All arrangements, confirmations, or what have you can be sent to my e-mail: [email protected]

I'm leaving what I can in the hands of you folks. Understand this...I *WANT to leave by Monday night the earliest, but I'm willing to wait until Wednesday the lastest.

So...ummm...Someone tell me what I'm doing. Please?

Shadow
2008-05-04, 02:05 PM
How is the money situation now? How much has been raised, how much is needed, etc?Excellent questions, Serp. I have no idea.

The original plan was to send me the money to use as needed. Since the word "scam" popped into the thread, I've been trying to figure out a way to avoid that, even though I would appreciate some of that money to cover expenses that can't be covered online. Shadow is leading this charge, so...

Shadow, where do we stand? The arrangements that can be made online, if possible, are the flight (if you've gathered enough) using e-tickets, and possibly the motel. The motel, if you can arrange it, should be made for the Econolodge in Knoxville on Parkwest Blvd. (It's closest to the hospital, making it easy for me to cane-walk there. They quoted me a price on the phone on $41.95 for someone visiting a patient in the hospital. The phone number for the motel is 865-693-6061.

All arrangements, confirmations, or what have you can be sent to my e-mail: [email protected]

I'm leaving what I can in the hands of you folks. Understand this...I *WANT to leave by Monday night the earliest, but I'm willing to wait until Wednesday the lastest.

So...ummm...Someone tell me what I'm doing. Please?Much as I'd love to see that happen as well, it may take a bit longer.
First off, let me apologize for not being around much this weekend. Weekends are my crazy time at work. Well, work's always crazy, but weekends are worse.
So far we've raised approximately $350 at this point! It's a little slow, but it's getting there. I'll PM you here in a moment. The chunk that I'm adding to that $350 can be fairly sizable, but it's not huge. I'll clarify something here. In the OP when I said that we'd quickly raised $300 - that included the $100 that I was starting the fund with. A few people that expressed interest originally have let me know that unfortunately their monetary situation wasn't as flexible as originally thought. I haven't added that $100 of my own into the total yet because, since the idea came to me, my personal addition to this little endeavor has become a fluid thing. It'll likely be quite a bit more than the original $100 (which is fine).
There have been quite a few $5 donations, a few singles, a handful of $10's, a number of twenties and a generous donation of $100 from someone that will remain nameless unless they decide otherwise.

A few more bucks and we should just about be there.
*runs off to PM Bor*

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-04, 02:27 PM
Well, I remain in the dark about my own travel plans. Wish someone would let me know something. :smallconfused:

Meanwhile, time for your mid-day update on Stu...and Dad.

Stu has been taken off the oxygen bypass, which is a good sign. Nicki told me his oxygen level dropped as low as 70 at one point, and that's downright scary. But as long as he keeps his mask on, it's been staying up around 90-ish.

I don't like that information comes in small pieces at a time, such as today's news that Stu can't move his left leg at the moment. Lacking a full understanding of dealing with doctors, Nicki can't help me understand what's going on with that.

The procedure I mentioned involving the possible physical removal of fluids from his lungs has been...postponed. The meds appear to be working in that regard.

More to come, I'm sure, after I speak to Stu's night nurse.

Meanwhile, I spoke to my Dad. His leg is infected, but for the moment it's not serious. Hopefully, the IV antibiotics will clear that up soon enough. As I've said, this is a regular routine with my father, so I'm not terribly worried. I *DID* manage to learn that it was more serious yesterday than I thought. You see, I spoke with my Dad shortly before he went off to the hospital, and he asked me to call back later because he was in great pain. It turns out that his pain was SO bad that he doesn't remember my call at all. He's also on unnamed pain meds, as well as worried about my brother, so - and I couldn't believe this - he didn't know the name of the hospital he's in! :smalleek: I guess age 77 isn't treating Dad so well. :smallfrown:

Once again, the greatest worry my Dad has is a potential confrontation with my biological mother. People act as though, upon seeing her, I will pull a running chainsaw from my pocket and cut her to ribbons. While the concept appeals to me, I believe the time has come to settle this matter before I even make the trip.

It was visiting time when I spoke to Nicki, so she couldn't really talk. I intend to call her back and get my biological mother's phone number and call. Yes, folks...I will be medicated for this call. But I feel the need to establish even so much as a temporary peace between us, or all these arrangements will be for naught. If I get the sense that there can be no peace, even for just the few days I'm there, I will ask Shadow to refund the money gathered for this cause.

It's quite simple. As committed as I am to see my brother, his health overrides this particular need. I cannnot and will not risk my mother starting a war by my sudden appearance. Said war may spill into my brothers room, and the stress could literally kill him. Mind you, I will play upon every mental exercise I know to remain calm and not become a problem. But my mother only knows anger, and I can't control her actions.

Of course, I could always get sneaky about it. Y'know...get her number and post it here, and then have the entire Playground call her and demand peace, or they will (insert individual threats as you see fit).

Shadow, I still need to know where we stand. I'm gearing up for a trip with no details on how I'm getting there.

Wish me luck, folks, and, of course, be well. :smallsmile:

+Rob

faerwain
2008-05-04, 03:08 PM
Holy crap!!!:smalleek::smalleek:

There I am, back here, and just wanted to finally reply to your nice post you had for me and my small trouble, and then I see this here...

Bor, first of course all the best wishes for you and your family. I'm crossing all thumbs for you.(Going to be interesting at work tomorrow.)

Somehow strange that our last contact was about me and being trusty. Well, I definetively trust you, from what I learnt to know about you during the time on the boards, and I remember about your health and finance situation(we even shared some little jokes about our living style back then, as our situations were similar). As fortunately, with the new contract two weeks ago, my finances have finally stabilized, there will at least be a little cash flow from over the ocean.

Good luck also with the peace talkings. I hope it turns out that way that you at least can avoid each other.
While I know that you are the one who may be able to keep peace, still here is a little emotional aid:smallwink:
A little poem by Emanuel Geibel I used as a mantra during the horrible last breakup:

Wirf Dein Talent nicht so hinaus,
Beleidigung damit zu rächen!
Die Biene, die versucht zu stechen,
bringt keinen Honig mehr nach Haus.

(Don't throw your talents such away
to avenge insults with them!
The bee who tries to sting
doesn't bring honey home anymore.)

Best of luck!

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-04, 03:17 PM
Of course, I could always get sneaky about it. Y'know...get her number and post it here, and then have the entire Playground call her and demand peace, or they will (insert individual threats as you see fit).

I've got a cell phone here and I'm not afraid to use it!

Of course, I'm more likely to try dull and boring logical arguments about whats best for her health and the health of her family, I suppose I could try something else.

Maybe I could convince her that I really believe I'm a sea turtle with a human head and if there was just sea connecting us I'd swim down there and... hmmm, gotta work on that part. Hopefully I'd at least convince her that you have psychotic friends who would go to any lengths to ensure your health and well being. In some ways it's not that far from the truth.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-04, 04:42 PM
Okay. There will be my regular post later after I talk to my brother's evening nurse. However, I should share events as they have unfolded.

First, I took my anxiety meds. There was no way I was going to go about my task without having the proper meds on board.

Next, I called Nicki and got my mother's phone number. G-d bless Nicki and her strength, because, as she related to me, she told my mother that I have a right to visit Stu, and if need be, she will have security keep her out while I'm in town.

I called Smellie Hippie for a pep talk. He helped gear me up for the call. And some of the lines I used on the phone with him, I used with my mother.

Then...the fateful call! ( :elan: Dun dun DUN! ) It was very short, thank goodness. I told her, "People fear we'll see each other duel with bazookas at 20 paces." Shock of shocks, she was understanding why I wanted to come, and said that there will be peace between us while I'm there.

After hanging up with her, I called my step-mom and shared the news so that people could start to rest easy.

And then I came here to report in. So it's "game on," folks. It looks as though I'll be leaving late Tuesday or early Wednesday. I have received offers to pick me up wherever I arrive, but that will depend on my arrival time.

+Rob

PS: I'm not alone in thinking you folks are amazing. My step-mom thinks you're all positively wonderful. :smallsmile:
+R

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-04, 04:58 PM
Hey Bor. Here's another hug for you. Once you figure out your travel plans, let us know. Hippie and I will be making arrangements for the kids to stay here, but we have every intension of driving down to check on everyone. We can work out the details in the next few days. In the mean time, be well. :smallsmile:

ForzaFiori
2008-05-04, 09:18 PM
Bor - This is gonna sound kinda odd, but take a pic of your bro when you see him. Apparently your nephew, while amazingly cute, is not quite what was needed. :smallfrown: But if you dont mind showing a pic of your bro in the hospital, Bev (my gf) is still more than willing to try what she can.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-04, 09:55 PM
Bor has been a great support for me in many a dire time in my life, for both physical mental health. I would give whatever I could afford, but unfortunately that's exactly as much as I have; Nothing.
If I ever get any money I don't need to spend on things I need like medicine or insurance, I will happily donate.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-04, 11:29 PM
Time for "The Stu Report," with your host, Bor.

Spoke with Beverly again. It's basically as I reported earlier. A bit of good news is that they've raised the amount of fluids he's allowed to drink, which has him a touch happier. This is something I've been forgetting to report. They haven't been allowing him to drink much, and he's been VERY thirsty, despite the IV fluids he's gotten. My guess - and this is only a guess - is that the oxygen mask is drying out his mouth and throat.

Other than that, he remains serious but stable.

The goal here is to get him out of serious condition so they can get in there and repair the tear. It's been such a fight to stabalize him that surgery has been sitting on the back burner. The stress he'd be under if they had to crack his sternum might be enough to kill him. Suffice to say, we don't want that.

Now for the plan...

Shadow has thrown a total at me for travel purposes. He's sending me the money overnight on Monday, and provided I get it early enough on Tuesday, I will leave Tuesday night or Wednesday. I was wrong in thinking berievment rates would be outrageously high. Still, they're not cheap, and "prices are subject to change" until such time as I make the actual purchase. (Yay Capitalism!)

Now, I didn't set this up. I simply agreed to it, and then started using this thread as a vent. (You folks have been wonderfully helpful in keeping me together on this.) I have learned from Shadow that MORE THAN HALF OF THE TOTAL HE GAVE ME IS COMING OUT OF HIS POCKET! :smalleek:

Now, Shadow may be a wee bit upset at me for saying as much. That's okay. I'll take the flack. But being so damnable honest as I am, I don't like things that look shady. This thread may still be up for more than reports as I can make them from TN, as...well, it's unfair to Shadow to bear the brunt of this financial burden. Rather than have you folks stop helping, please continue to do so until such time as he's seen a reasonable amount of repayment.

Shadow, I rely on your honor to speak up at such a time.

Even so, I have sent him an e-mail saying that any extra left over will be returned. I can ALWAYS use more money, being on a limited income and all that. But it's a battle of kindness, here. I will NOT allow anyone to be taken advantage of. If, in the coming months, I have to send him what little I get on my birthday, so be it.

Yeesh...Some scam this is, eh, doubters? :smalltongue:

You know, money is always an issue for me because I can't work. Too many interconnecting issues keep me from holding down a job. This latest thrill of arthritis in a part of my foot where a lot of weightbearing occurs has only made things more difficult. I can't walk from my computer to the kitchen without experiencing severe pain. During my last phone call with Stu a month or so ago, I said, "You know...If all of my living relatives would simply send me $5 a month, my financial woes wouldn't be nearly as bad." The idea that asking the many for a little instead of the few for a lot appeals to me, as it's much less a burden. Alas, I have two living relations that give a damn about me: Stu and Dad, and neither are in any kind of shape to give so much as $5.

I'm sorry. Venting like this helps me, but I fear what it may do to others. Again, please continue to help, even while I'm traveling, to be sure Shadow receives his due.

Thank you again, my beloved friends. Be well. :smallsmile:

+Rob

LightWraith
2008-05-04, 11:49 PM
I just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything that's going on Bor, I wish you and your family the best.

I'll be sending something that way as soon as I get my Paypal account functioning again. I haven't used it in years and my bank account info is all outdated.

Good luck to you and yours Bor!

Edit: Since Raldor was kind enough to inform me that I did not necessarily need my Paypal account, I went ahead and sent the aforementioned something direct from my debit card. I hope it helps a bit.

bluewind95
2008-05-05, 12:11 AM
I wish I had the means to help...

...still... my prayers are with you...

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-05, 02:28 PM
No mid-day report on Stu today. Nicki said she was going back to work today, and I failed to ask when she works. If it's a night shift, she'll be asleep. It's a day shift, then I'd be bothering her at work. I also don;t want to call the hospital at this hour. Friendly as those TN folk are, daylight hours are busiest. I'll have to be patient to check up on my brother, the patient.

Meanwhile, I feel the need to vent. Y'see, I'm pretty upset at my Floor Huggers.

"Ummm...Bor? What ARE you talking about?" :smallconfused:

I imagine some of you know, and some of you don't, that I play City of Heroes/City of Villains, more commonly known as simply CoH, CoV, or CoX. Two and a half years ago, I took my spoof main character, The Adjective Noun, and formed a spoof supergroup, The New Paragon Floor Huggers. (The original game, CoH, takes place in Paragon City.) Our motto: "Because dying is what we do best!" :smalltongue:

My Huggers are a silly, friendly bunch. Some have actually sent me game cards from time to time when I couldn't afford the $15/month to play.

Now, understand that this is my one and only REAL luxury. I don't have a cell phone, cable or satellite TV, or any other outlandish expenses. I mentioned in the Depression Thread that I took myself to the movies on Friday. It was an extremely rare event to spend $7 on a matinee, and I honestly can't remember what the lasyt movie I saw in theaters was.

Okay...Down, tangent! Down!

Someone in the Huggers decided to start up a web site, and while we've done some server hopping over the years, I have always been their beloved "Noun." Well, I posted on our site about my brother, my desire to see him, and all help would be appreciated. I received ONE response on that thread, and that was a suggestion to take the bus. After that, there was no offer for aid, no offer of prayers, no well-wishers. Nothing.

Here...When Gezina offers up what is as close to a prayer as she will get, I know I'm loved and cared for. One person sent me instructions on how to perform Reiki on my brother. mf11's girlfriend is willing to attempt Wiccan rituals to help my brother, AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ME! (Don't know how well a pic will fly in a critical care unit, but we'll see.) Folks who are new to GitP and have read this thread have offered more to me than my Floor Huggers.

I guess it really does take a crisis to find out who your true friends are.

Shadow
2008-05-05, 02:47 PM
And on that note.... now that I have a moment at work....
WOW!
Overnighting is more expensive than I expected. Not that it really surprises me, after thinking about it.

On the way buddy!

Narmoth
2008-05-05, 02:57 PM
Heh, that's why I keep returning to this board, even if I have little in common with what's discussed here compared to a lot other boards that I barely care to read.
After all, I'm a heavy metal guitarist that plays 2nd ed AD&D exclusively (and therefore have almost nothing to say in the gaming section). I live in Norway, missing out on a lot of the cultural references and events that are discussed in the banter treads, and I read almost only books from the 19th century and watch obscure movies from Soviet that no-one ever seen.
Still I feel much more a part of this community than my favorite bands fanforums.

So, keep up the good work forumites, let's send Bor to his brother as fast as possible.

And your banner is great DarkLightDragon.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-05, 03:54 PM
Ahhh...More stress to the already existing pile.

Dad is home. This is actually not a good sign. The hospital couldn't keep a vein open for IV antibiotics, so they gave him oral meds and sent him home.

That's only part of the stress. The other part is the way he spoke to me on the phone. "I don't understand why you're going. You can only visit for a very short time. And are you calling every day? Who's paying for all these calls? (This is where he adds a sigh filled with guilt aimed at me.) Eh...Do what you want."

I kept my mouth shut, answering as lightheartedly as I could. Because what I REALLY wanted to say was, "Excuse me, 'Mr. I-also-live-on-a-limited-income,' but you know damn well that if you were physically up to it, you'd be making the same trip. And who, might I ask, is paying your phone bill? Because I know you're calling every day to find out how your SON is doing. You offered to travel from FL to NY when I was merely in a psych ward, and you'd only be permitted to visit twice a day, for only an hour a day. So don't start trying to fill me with guilt because I'm doing what you can't." :smallmad:

*sigh*

Well, it felt good to get that out somewhere. Not sure how wise it is, as when/if my brother fully recovers, I have every intention of having him see this thread. I want him to see the love and support he had from people who honestly have no idea who he is, but know who I am.

@ Shadow: Thanks for the heads-up. Didn't know overnight would be so expensive, but it was better than trying to wire it, as the more you wire, the bigger the fee.

@ Skywalker: (so that everyone knows) As per our PMs, I'll let you know about my flight plans. If I land at a logical hour, you're welcome to come get me. In fact, once things are solidified, I'll be posting as many details right here so you folks will be kept up to speed.

I need to get my disabled tuchas to the doctor now, folks. Be well.

+Rob

InaVegt
2008-05-05, 05:08 PM
Don't mention it, Bor. I'd really have liked to help you visit Stu, which I can't.

Raiser Blade
2008-05-05, 05:08 PM
My prayers are with you and your family Bor. Thank you for being such a kind person.

ForzaFiori
2008-05-05, 05:24 PM
Lol. I gotta agree with you Bor. It is really wierd how people you've never met can seem more friendly than people you talk to alot. I have friends from various forums that i tell about my problems (including this forum, in the depression and relationship threads) much more than my friends... and the people that i tell are usually nicer than my friends too.

oh, and Bor, Bev says that she owes you easily as much as you want to thank her. Its not often that someone will accept Wicca as easily as you have. Or maybe that just the people around here... But either way, she seemed really surprised (and very happy) that you so readily agreed to send the picture.

Shadow
2008-05-05, 05:47 PM
@ Shadow: Thanks for the heads-up. Didn't know overnight would be so expensive, but it was better than trying to wire it, as the more you wire, the bigger the fee.No big deal at all.
I just wasn't expecting it to be $16 to mail an envelope, that's all. But when you think about it, they have to process it, rush it to the airport, etc etc.
It makes sense in hindsight.

evnafets
2008-05-05, 09:27 PM
No big deal at all.
I just wasn't expecting it to be $16 to mail an envelope, that's all. But when you think about it, they have to process it, rush it to the airport, etc etc.
It makes sense in hindsight.

And they charge more than $16 to just transfer the money electronically?

((does a quick online lookup at Western Union))
$43 to send $500 from one US State to another overnight?!?!?
$30 if you send it "economy" taking up to 3 business days????

Just for sending some electrons down the line? Man I HAVE to get into this banking business. You get to both make AND steal money.

ZombieRockStar
2008-05-05, 09:37 PM
Well, it felt good to get that out somewhere. Not sure how wise it is, as when/if my brother fully recovers, I have every intention of having him see this thread. I want him to see the love and support he had from people who honestly have no idea who he is, but know who I am.

In which case: Hi, Stu! We love you, so get better!

Midnight Son
2008-05-05, 10:42 PM
And they charge more than $16 to just transfer the money electronically?

((does a quick online lookup at Western Union))
$43 to send $500 from one US State to another overnight?!?!?
$30 if you send it "economy" taking up to 3 business days????

Just for sending some electrons down the line? Man I HAVE to get into this banking business. You get to both make AND steal money.That's not banking. Most banks and credit unions charge much less than that for a wire(mine charges $5). What your looking to open is one of those check cashing/payday loans places. You get all the earnings that you would as a loan shark, but without the worry of police breathing down your neck. The only drawback?..no goons with metal bats or brass knuckles at your beck and call.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-05, 11:17 PM
Okay, you lunatics...Keep it down. My brother's trying to sleep. :smallwink:

This "Stu Report" is brought to you by a bad case of nerves. "Bor: He doesn't like flying."

I found out a couple of things, like the fact that my brother didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Lots of discomfort from pain, as well as the fact that he's getting restless. He wants to get out of bed. The doctors won't let him.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing it has something to do with orthostasis...or something related to it. I happen to know about this because of my research on diabetes. When you stand, the blood vessels in your legs contract to prevent all the blood rushing into your legs. It's an autonomic finction that can become suspended by diabetic neuropathy. Now, this seems unrelated to Stu, as he's not a diabetic. However, I imagine that trying to stand will alter blood flow throughout the body and put undue stress on his damaged aorta. Thus, Stu must stay in bed.

There goes my idea of sneaking him out of the hospital to go to the mall. :smallannoyed:

Now, I'm trying to think of a good opening line for when he sees me. The best one I got is from when he detoured during his move from Vegas to Knoxville to visit me. I figure I'd walk in, pull a shiny quarter out of my pocket, and say, "When you were at my place, you dropped this. I came to return it." I'll hand it to him, and promptly leave. :smalltongue:

Other suggestions for opening lines are now being accepted.

It may be getting tiresome, but thanks again, folks. Be well. :smallsmile:

+Rob

skywalker
2008-05-06, 12:43 AM
It may be getting tiresome, but thanks again, folks. Be well. :smallsmile:

Okay, at the risk of looking as though I'm stalking you, and, while it may sound very lame and goody-goody, thanks never get tiresome, Bor. :smallsmile:

Jagg
2008-05-06, 12:58 AM
It's always when I am without internet connection......

Bor. You have my sincerest sympathies. My thoughts are with you and you brother at this difficult time. Stay positive.

Bor and Shadow. Guys. I'll help fund this....I just can't do it right now. See spoiler for details.

Um I just moved into a new house. As in I picked up the keys on Friday night. As in my back is still sore from moving all my stuff. I have too much stuff. The financial problem however is that the final drawdown for the bank did not go through as planned (slight delay) and I had to overdraw my personal accounts for the bank cheque by 85k and the rest of my liquidity is locked away at present. I'm not wanting to go any further into debt right now. Bank finalisation should occur late this week, so early next week barring any unforseen difficulties I should be able to help out. So chuck me down for an IOU (talk to me via PM) and I'll catch you guys next week.

JAGG

banjo1985
2008-05-06, 05:22 AM
Finally I get back to a computer to donate, four days after I originally promised to. Oh well, better late than never :smallsmile:

Be well Bor, and I hope everything works out.

TRM
2008-05-06, 09:05 AM
Coming back to again offer you and your brother my best wishes and prayer-like thoughts for wellness.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-06, 09:18 AM
Well Bor, we were wondering if you know what day you are arriving in Knoxville. Hippie and I compared schedules last night, and you caught us on a hectic week. We can drive down on Wednesday after work to see you for a few hours. Otherwise, we won't be able to leave town before next Monday. :smallsigh:
We look forward to seeing you.

Darken Rahl
2008-05-06, 09:25 AM
Guys, please beware using Western Union for money sending. If anyone were to find out the Money transfer #, they could make off with your well intentioned funds without your knowledge and without any recourse. You're better off (In my opinion) using a bank to send money, even though it may take a little bit longer.

Bor, be well, you're in my prayers.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-06, 11:35 AM
@ Darken Rhal: Seems you missed it the part about the money coming to me via overnight mail in the form of a money order. It was sent yesterday, and should be here any time today. If it DOESN'T arrive today...Well, that's where my old debt collector skills come in. Overnight mail AND the money order can be tracked.

@ Mountain Faerie: Once I have the money, I'm hustling over to the bank. By "hustle," I mean "limp as fast as cane-walking will permit." A money order, as good as cash, will be made available to me instantly. Then I return home to start making solid arrangements, including the flight, motel, and whether or not Skywayker can pick me up.

Kinda funny how I keep playing a paraphrased version of that scene from The Empire Strikes Back.

Me: Luke...Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Skywalker: He said you killed him!
Me: No, Luke. *I* am your father.
Skywalker: *shaking his head in denial* No. No. It can't be tr- *stops shaking his head* Wait! Bor's my father?!? YAY!

:smalltongue:

Also as good is him standing there at the departure area with a sign that simply reads, "Bor."

If you can't tell, my spirits are up a bit. That's because it's happening. For thise who remember it, there was a Bugs Bunny cartoon where to goons are dancing around singing, "We're gonna have roast rabbit!" Well, I have the same tune in my head, but with the words, "I'm gonna see my brother!"

It's a strange combination, this excitement and fear. But I don't want to walk into his room with an aura of doom and gloom about me. I don't know how far his spirits can be lifted, but I certainly don't want to bring him down. Better that I should enter with a joke on my lips than looking as though I was already attending his funeral.

And...Hmmm...This post has taken over an hour to write, as I am continuously distracted by one thing or another. I may continue to bounce around the forum, but consider this post ended...FOR NOW! (Dun dun DUN!)

+Rob

Shadow
2008-05-06, 12:40 PM
I sent it Certified, so it'll get there. :wink:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-06, 12:43 PM
And I got it! Let the phone calls to the airlines begin! :smallsmile:

Shadow
2008-05-06, 12:46 PM
I only stopped by to see how this was going. Now I I'm out of here until probably tomorrow afternoon.
Tell your brother I said HI!
:biggrin:

Shadow
2008-05-06, 02:09 PM
I originally edited this in the last post, but wanted Bor to see it so I double posted for that reason.

So I just talked to my buddy.

"So, where are we sitting on donations?"
"About "
"Awesome! We're almost there!"
"Who the heck is this guy? He's got donations from Norway, England, Germany.... all over the damn place."
"Yeah. It's pretty cool huh?"
"There have even been a few random bartenders that have [I]visited my site and decided to help a little bit."
"Tell them thanks for me."
"Already done."

Thanks to everyone! :biggrin: You guys are the best!

onasuma
2008-05-06, 03:35 PM
As late as I may be to this thread, i just want to wish you, your brother, your father, and any other member of your family thats effected by this the best.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-06, 04:53 PM
Okay, folks. The plans are made, and as I promised all the exciting details, here they are:

American Airlines offered me the best rate, along with flexible return dates should the need arise for me to stay longer, as well as a refund should...I dunno...I explode between now and tomorrow. :smalleek:

Departure info for May 7:

Flight #1760 leaving Phoenix at 12:20 PM and arriving in Dallas at 4:50 PM.
Flight #3589 leaving Dallas at 8:20 PM and arriving in Knoxville at 11:25 PM.

Yes...It's the layover from Hades! :smallamused:

Returning info for May 11:

Flight #3718 leaving Knoxville at 11:50 AM and arriving in Dallas at 1:10 PM.
Flight #1457 leaving Dallas at 2:10 PM and arriving in Phoenix at 2:45 PM.

I have reserved a room at the Econolodge in Knoxville on Park West Blvd.

I think that about covers it, folks. I'll be around until I have to go, but...

Is it possible to run out of words or gratitude? I mean, you folks are my miracle in this time of need. You have done what no one else could or would do, making this all-important trip possible. Without your aid, I would continue to sit here and wallow in misery and worry. Instead, I am going to see my brother and do my best to lift his spirits. "Thank you" is no longer enough...but I suppose it's a place to start.

Thank you. :smallsmile:

+Rob

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-06, 05:46 PM
I just realized that we must declare Bor's meetup with Hippie and Faerie to be an official mini-OOTS-meetup... so he can officially consider himself part of the Order of the Kubb!

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-06, 06:00 PM
Of course, that means that hippie and MF need to bring a set with them. I know the actually playing of the game might be a challenge, but you oughta at least get it set up and explain the rules and let him watch a game. Then maybe someone *coughTrogcough* could make up an "Honorary Member" doohickey. :smallcool:

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-06, 06:01 PM
That would be entertaining. I wonder if they'd let us play Kubb in ICU? :smalltongue:

Actually, Hippie and I are going to have a hard time getting down to Knoxville. The hospital is 2 hours away from our house. We are booked every night this week except for Wednesday (Hippie with work stuff and me with classes). We were planning on going down tomorrow after work, but Bor won't be getting into Knoxville until close to midnight.

We might be able to shuffle some things this weekend, but with the boy's Band-A-Thon fund raiser and Hippie having to work on Sunday... well, life is just crowded.

In the mean time, have a safe trip, Bor! We will do our best to see you.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-06, 06:11 PM
Ah well. The idea of a mini-meet would've been nice, but we all have our priorities.

For those interested, Skywalker has agreed to pick me up, even at that late hour. That means more money for strippers! I mean...ummm...Did I say "strippers?" I'm sure I meant something infintely more wholesome...I just can't think of what that might be right now. :smallredface:

Off to finish packing that which doesn't need to wait for the last minute.

Vonriel
2008-05-06, 07:20 PM
*thinks for a minute about a comedian's comment about strip clubs and people who can't walk*

*decides to keep quiet* :smallwink:

Everyone, it's great to see you guys helping him out like this. I'm glad you folks could make this happen for him.

Bor, enjoy your trip. I thought of a few things to say here, but it was all nit-picky stuff that you have likely already thought of before me, considering you have more experience being you than I do (heck, you have more experience being you than I do being me :smalltongue: ) So, I leave you with, enjoy the flights, take a good, long book (might I suggest The Three Musketeers or The Count of Monte Cristo?) for both the flight and layover, and enjoy your vacation.

My only regret is that I couldn't and can't contribute money to this. Still, Bor, I wish you and your brother well.

skywalker
2008-05-07, 01:27 AM
That means more money for strippers! I mean...ummm...Did I say "strippers?" I'm sure I meant something infintely more wholesome...I just can't think of what that might be right now. :smallredface:

As long as I am included, I ask no questions about where I drive you. I am celebrating the end of exams, after all :smallwink:

Felixaar
2008-05-07, 06:33 AM
Donation coming your way, Bor. I was gunna say "Just Promise You'll have a good time", but that seems kinda unlikely, so I dunno, tell your brother I said Hi. Best of luck man, and Ill support a flatscreen tv if I can come and watch it every fifteen minutes or so.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-07, 08:38 AM
Well, folks...I'm preparing to get ready to leave. It's 6:30 by me, and I don't move as fast as I'd like. Gotta put the finishing touches on packing, make sure the dishes are done, make sure Nike is fed for the day, and dust off my ancient CD player so I have something to listen to on the flight.

Vonriel, I'm afraid my unabridged copy of The Count of Monet Cristo is a bit too bulky. In fact, all my first choices to bring along are a bit too big. Perhaps I simply drag How Not to Write a Screenplay, as it's time for my annual reading of that one. :smallwink:

Skywalker, I'll see you tonight. Again, I beliebe 1-800-242-4444 is for flight status. Any issues with that number, call customer service at 1-800-433-7300. Remember, you want to look out for flight 3589 out of Dallas...

...and there will be no strippers. Sorry. (Although I've considered hiring one for my brother. Oddly, I don't think Nicki will appreciate that, nor will it do much to actually HELP his fragile cardiovascular system. :smalltongue: )

Felixaar, while I would LIKE an HD flatscreen, widescreen, "omniscreen," super television, I don't actually NEED one. Still, if you happen to have an extra just lying around the house... :smallwink:

I may or may not be able to post when I'm in TN, folks. Shadow, when you have enough, remember to speak up to discontinue the donations.

That's it from me for the time being, folks. Thank you for bringing me this miracle. :smallredface:

+Rob

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-07, 09:34 AM
Bor, I hope you get this. We are aiming for Sunday brunch with you. Hippie and I are going to get up on Sunday and drive down to Knoxville. We will have a couple of hours to visit, but will have to leave K-ville by 1:00 to get Hippie back to answer the Crisis Hotline. You have our cell phone numbers so we can knock out the details. I'm also assuming you have the same last name as Stu so we can find you at the hotel.

Hippie and I show up at the hotel:

May I help you?
Hi. We're looking for Bor.
Who?
You know, the guy from Arizona. Has a cat named Nike... but I don't think he brought Nike with him.
:smallconfused:
His good buddy is Shadow.
:confused:
He came over with Skywalker??
:eek:

Yeah. We'll be in touch. Have a great flight. :smallwink:

Faerie

Supagoof
2008-05-07, 10:13 AM
*snip* The only drawback?..no goons with metal bats or brass knuckles at your beck and call. Says who? Oh, you mean that the police know about. Right, I gotta go tell Smitty to keep a "low profile." Speaking of which, you didn't see anything. I wasn't here.

And Bor, if strippers help ease your bro's suffering....feel obliged to use my donation for them. There, now you have too. You have an obligation. :smalltongue:

Have a safe flight and travels friend!

Narmoth
2008-05-07, 12:54 PM
...and there will be no strippers. Sorry. (Although I've considered hiring one for my brother. Oddly, I don't think Nicki will appreciate that, nor will it do much to actually HELP his fragile cardiovascular system. :smalltongue: )

actually, although not helping on the pulse, it would drain away blood from the lesion, permitting easier operation

WalkingTarget
2008-05-07, 12:59 PM
Late to the party I guess, but better late than never.

Bor: I have a relative who was hospitalized with an abdominal aortic aneurysm about a year and a half ago with the added complication of a tear in the inner layer so blood started seeping between layers of the arterial wall (but no full rupture, luckily). Surgery wasn't even an option for his case (regardless of other factors) and I know how angry I would have been with myself if I hadn't managed to get to the hospital to visit (and I only lived 90 minutes away, not halfway across the country). He's still with us, thankfully, and mostly just tries to keep his blood-pressure at a reasonable level. I hope Stu comes out of this similarly.

I've chipped in for the repay-Shadow-for-his-awesomeness fund as it seems the tickets and whatnot are already purchased. I poke around on the FB page somewhat, even if I don't post much (let alone in the DT) and am glad to help you out. Good thoughts heading your way from Illinois.

-WT

skywalker
2008-05-08, 12:27 AM
Well well well kids, you remember how Bor mentioned strippers, well, I'm actually writing this post mobile-ly, on my blackberry, as it were, from the Mouse's Ear, a popular local joint where...

Wait, scratch that.

Bor arrived safe in Knoxville, despite a line of bad weather between here and Dallas, and met his ride(me), miraculously both without either of us knowing what the other looked like, and my not possessing a "BOR" sign. I just got home from driving him to the Econolodge, where I would presume he is already asleep.

I would not think to put words in Bor's mouth, or act as though I know what he's thinking right now.

But I will say from myself, that this community is amazing, I cannot believe that all this went down in just a few short days and the large out-pouring of support. You guys all rock!

Jagg
2008-05-08, 12:33 AM
Hey skywalker

Thanks for the update, 'tis indeed good to know that Bor made it there OK.

So how did you guys recognise each other? Was he wearing an OOTS shirt?

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-08, 12:43 AM
I'm with Jagg. Thanks for letting us know he got there and let us know how it went down.

I'm actually picturing something fairly mundane. Like only one guy with a cane got off the plane at that hour and skywalker said "You must be, Rob. I'm Luke." *handshakes*

:cool:

skywalker
2008-05-08, 12:49 AM
Actually, and this was rather unnerving, while I was sitting there waiting on his flight to come in(delayed by those damned storms) no less than 5(!) people came in walking on canes. My thought process went like this:
Okay, that guy isn't alone...
Okay, that guy isn't a guy(!)...
Okay, that guy isn't wearing a t-shirt...
Okay, that guy's wearing a t-shirt with indeterminable writing... could be him... no, wait, tattoos...
Okay, cane, t-shirt, BANJO T-SHIRT! YES!

He did use the "I am your father" line. I myself was for some reason channeling American Gangster and said "My man."

How about that?

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-08, 07:32 AM
I'm glad to hear everything went well. Thanks for picking him up and delivering him to the hotel without letting him "Katch One" on the way home. :smalltongue:

Does anyone know a good place in West Knoxville to take Bor? We stay on the east side when we head down to Knoxville, so I don't really know whats available. I thought we could either go to a restaurant or we could pick up brunchy things and find a park to go play Kubb. Skywalker, you are invited to come hang out with us Sunday morning. If there is anyone else who is going to be in town we can expand the group a little. We can still have the "Bor's In Town! Mini Meet-up".

Shadow
2008-05-08, 01:47 PM
Yeah for an update!

I'm waiting to hear from my buddy where we're at exactly on donations. It's getting close to the time that I'm going to 'Close the Lines" so to speak.

Jack Squat
2008-05-08, 03:58 PM
I'm glad to hear everything went well. Thanks for picking him up and delivering him to the hotel without letting him "Katch One" on the way home. :smalltongue:

Does anyone know a good place in West Knoxville to take Bor? We stay on the east side when we head down to Knoxville, so I don't really know whats available. I thought we could either go to a restaurant or we could pick up brunchy things and find a park to go play Kubb. Skywalker, you are invited to come hang out with us Sunday morning. If there is anyone else who is going to be in town we can expand the group a little. We can still have the "Bor's In Town! Mini Meet-up".

What's Your budget for meals? There's quite a bit out there, although if you like japanese, I suggest Tomo's, Wasabi's, or Kan Pai. There's also Jason's Deli, or Firehouse Subs if you want a quicker meal. I just named those options because they were the first to come into my head that wasn't Bonefish (really nice seafood place, but the price shows it) or Chuck E. Cheese's. If you give me a few ranges (type of food, price, etc.) I may be able to give some more choices.

As for parks, I haven't been to any out that way, but Here's (http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/map/parksrec.html) a map listing all the ones in Knoxville.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-08, 09:35 PM
I talked to Bor for a while this afternoon. He wanted me to give you all the good news. Stu was moved from ICU to a small private room this afternoon. Bor arrived about half an hour after the move (because of visiting hour restrictions). Stu was exhausted, but happy to see his big brother. They got in a short visit. Bor was going back tonight.

As far as Stu's treatment is going, the doctors have ruled out surgery. Apparently he is healing slowly on his own and they don't want to push his blood pressure up. They have removed the IV but left the stint in case they needed to add another IV later. They have also switched to a nasal oxygen tube instead of the full face mask. He is still incredibly thirsty, but he is a bit more comfortable. Also, they are continuing to give him 100% oxygen.

Bor sounded great. He was singing everyones praises for helping him get to his brother. That was an incredible gift. He said for me to thank everyone and tell you "Be Well" :smallsmile:

I feel like a ditz about the Sunday brunch meet-up. It turns out that Bor is leaving in the morning from Knoxville to go home. We thought he was going later in the day. I was feeling sad about not getting to see him, but then I realized that he was going to be spending a lot of time with that cute little nephew, Nicki and of course, Stu.

LightWraith
2008-05-08, 10:51 PM
I'm glad to hear that Stu is doing well, and that Bor is getting his chance to visit.

You know, I think every time I come here I find I love this forum more and more.

Felixaar
2008-05-09, 05:37 AM
Power of Hope prevails.

Then why didnt Mr. Stiffly Escape :smallfrown:

Seriously though, glad to hear of the improvement. Best of luck to the both of you.

Shadow
2008-05-09, 11:55 AM
Update:

I've removed the links to the donation site.

WE DID IT!

Shadow, Stu and Bor all ring out in chorus
Thank You!
You guys ROCK!

And a special Thanks goes to Skywalker for the lift from the airport! You rock extra hard bro!

Certain people have PM'd me stating that they'd be interested in donating at a later date, but that they couldn't at the time. I have left the donation status open for these people, just in case they decide to do so, but I ask for no more in general. When I decided to do this I was opening the 'fund' with $100. I then decided that my personal donation would be a fluid thing, dependant upon others' donations. This has worked out almost perfectly.
If the individuals that offered follow through, I'll spend about $130 on this. If not, my donation was about $250. Either way is perfectly fine by me.
(PM me if you were one of those individuals and still wish to contribute and I'll give you the link again)

Considering we did this quickly (over the course of a single week) with practically ZERO preperation (I was making most of it up as I went along) I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the results!

Thank you yet again!

TRM
2008-05-09, 12:19 PM
Yay! Thanks to everyone for the updates; I'm really glad to hear that everything seems to have gone well.
My continued best wishes to your entire family Bor. :smallsmile:

Narmoth
2008-05-09, 04:36 PM
Well playgrounders, I'm incredibly proud of you!
First a really really huge thank you goes to Shadow, who started and managed this whole donation drive (is that correct English?) and also prepaid the ticket before all donations were made.
Secondly a great thank you to Skywalker who met Bor and drove him around.
Third, a great thank you to all who donated money to Bors ticket and accommodation.
And finally I would also like to thank all who contacted Bor, offering to help in any way or trying to cheer him up.

Mr. Moon
2008-05-09, 06:01 PM
actually, although not helping on the pulse, it would drain away blood from the lesion, permitting easier operation

Thank-you for that lovely image... >.<

Also: YAY! I'm so happy this had a happy ending. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: I'll keep praying for Stu though, don't you worry.

@Narmoth: Perfectly phrased, don't worry.

Narmoth
2008-05-10, 02:52 AM
Thank-you for that lovely image... >.<

Also: YAY! I'm so happy this had a happy ending. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: I'll keep praying for Stu though, don't you worry.

@Narmoth: Perfectly phrased, don't worry.

When I think about it, I believe correct English should be "...permitting easier surgery", not operation

Felixaar
2008-05-10, 05:31 AM
Yes, prayers will continue to issue forth from the cobwebbed depths of this thing I call my head for many a time to come, but thanks to all the other playgrounders who donated both their time, money, and good thoughts, especially shadow and skywalker.

Woo!

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-10, 08:52 AM
Definitely keep the prayers coming. Stu's not out of the woods, yet, but I think everyones actions are helping him get better. I'm going to try and call Bor this afternoon to see how things are going. I know tonight he's going to have dinner with some family at Nicki and Stu's house. He's hoping to be able to get online and fill us in on how things are going.

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-10, 02:47 PM
It's good to know things are seeming to be better. I guess I will need to change my sig now..

Uncle Festy
2008-05-10, 08:53 PM
Yay!
Better = awesome!
Yay better!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-11, 08:09 PM
Hey, folks. Wanted to let everyone know I got home safe. I'm compltely wiped out from the trip, so I'm going to head for bed, and maybe even sleep. But I'll be back to give the full report of my trip when I'm up to it.

Be well.

+Rob

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-12, 02:21 AM
Okay, kids. Having gotten a little rest, I'll give you as much of an update as I can.

The big question I've been asked the most is how this happened to Stu. When I would mention that he had a torn aorta and his kidney almost shut down, most people assumed it was a car accident. "No," I would say, "it just kinda happened." And before I left for TN, there was word that Stu had been diagnosed with hypertension two weeks BEFORE the tear. I'd always wondered why he wasn't put on high blood pressure meds. Well...

Stu was in Texas training to become a truck driver. At the start of training, he was given a physical, and there was great concern over his PB. The exisiting problem was that the doctor giving the physical was not permitted to give out prescriptions. Sounds silly to me, but I imagine there was some kind of liability issue involving the school. Stu was advised to see a doctor, and soon!

Thus, Stu called Nicki and told her to make an appointment with his doctor. He specified that the reason he need to go was his high BP. Nicki, it would seem, made the appointment without mentioning that last part. If she had, Stu would have been seen as soon as he returned from TX. Instead, he was left with the impression that he had to wait. Oddly, Stu blamed Nicki for this lack of information. I made every effort not to upset Stu while I was there, but I did wonder, "Stu? Why didn't you make a follow-up call to press for a quicker appointment?"

Understand that this information was gathered over the course of my visit. On my very first day, however, I asked what in G-d's name he was doing that he torn his aorta? He looked me in the eye and said, "Xander was at school, Nicki works nights, and I wasn't working." That's where he left it. My response was rapid, but it went somethingthing like this...

:smallconfused: ... :smalleek: ... :smallwink: ... :smallredface: ... :smallcool:

Okay...On my first full day in TN, I woke up bright and early...for Arizona. Thinking that Stu was still in the CCU, I headed for the hospital to grab some food and wait until the next visiting half-hour at 12:30. As that time approached, I called Nicki, who informed me that Stu had been downgraded and moved to a regular room a half hour before I left the motel. Silly me, I'd been waiting around for over an hour.

I have to admit, Stu didn't look so good when I first saw him, nor did he sound that great. He couldn't get comfortable in the bed, was always in pain, and always seemed to be out of breath. As MF reported, I kept that visit short, went back to the motel, and returned later. I did NOT do that again.

You see, the distance between the hospital and my motel was no greater than the distance between my apartment and the market near me. The difference, however, is that here in AZ, the ground is flat and we have SIDEWALKS! In TN, it was uphill and NO sidewalks. Thus, when Stu would request pain meds, I would joke that I wanted some too...but I wasn't exactly joking. There's a reason I don't do much here in AZ. I now have confirmation that it's NOT laziness.

Meanwhile, Stu continued to improve. Each day, he seemed to gasp for air less, although he was always counting the hours between doses of pain meds. He was also on fluid restriction, and spent time calculating exactly how much he was permitted to drink for the rest of the day.

He appeared to improve every day, which was good to SEE. I stress that last word because that was always the missing factor during my phone calls. I couldn't talk to him. I couldn't see how he was doing. AND IT WAS YOU FOLKS THAT HELPED FILL THAT GAP! :smallsmile:

On my last full day, while making a cafeteria run, I found myself riding the elevator with my brother's doctor. I'd never met the man before, but recognized his name. We paused once we got off the elevator to discuss Stu, and I feel I must quote the doctor here: "We're just tickled pink at how well he's healing." All that time I thought surgery was waiting in the background, and it turns out Stu is healing MUCH faster than expected.

Still, when I got back to Stu's room, he and I had a chat about his employment future. This was something I checked with the doctor, and Stu'd been under the impression that he'd heal a few weeks, then try to get back to work. Again, the goal was not to upset Stu, so I left it at a suggestion..."File for disability. When you feel up to it, you can always try to get back into the workforce. Unlike me, you have Nicki's medical insurance to cover any gaps while returning to work. Talk it over with her."

For those that are wondering, Stu refused any and all pictures. I don't blame him. Those hospital johnnies are NOT flattering. And when I helped him sit down for lunch one day...Well, let's just say I saw a side of Stu I hope to never see again. :smalleek:

I know I'm missing a lot of details, but I feel it important to let you all know that I got to say those words to my brother. With a kiss to the top of his head, I flat out told him, "I love you, Stu." And neither of us was ashamed of the moment. :smallsmile:

The floor is now open to questions anyone might have. The first, I'm sure, will be how much longer he'll be in the hospital. That remains an unknown, but the goal seems to be around next Friday.

Meanwhile...You folks are my miracle. I told the tale to anyone who would listen. I left a trail of astonished smiles across the United States when I told them that I received GLOBAL aid in getting to my brother in a time of need. There are no proper words, simply a warm glow coming from my heart. Thank you all for your help. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-12, 03:35 AM
Like everyone else, I'm really glad to hear that things are looking so good for your brother, Rob. I'm also glad that we could help out with what we could and that so many others were able to do the same.

May you both be well soon.

Shadow
2008-05-12, 01:22 PM
:biggrin: Glad we could help! :wink:
And I'm glad he's doing better. And that you got to see him. And that I could help with that.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-12, 11:11 PM
As I had promised, I called Stu today to let him know I'd gotten home safely. I knew after all that traveling yesterday that my goal would be to rest once I'd walked in the door.

They reduced his oxygen yet again today. It also seems that they'll be discontinuing his IV antibiotics soon. They...ummm...also removed the thing from the thing so he could do that stuff on his own. (No, I will NOT translate that.) Stu was overjoyed with that one.

Now, my brother told me about a little conversation he had with someone on the hospital staff. I believe it was a nurse.

Stu: You know how doctors are suppose to have some kind of emotional detachment with their patients in case something goes wrong? Well, every doctor that comes to see me is SO happy. They smile and laugh and...Well, where's the lack of emotion?
Nurse: You're a miracle. You're healing faster than anyone expected.

It's as though he's defying "the laws of medicine." And, once again, I credit the Playground. Call it voodoo, mysticism, prayer, hope...whatever. I believe the caring was focused on me, and that I wanted my brother to recover. Let's face it...None of you really know my brother, and I can tell you tales that wouldn't shine a very positive light on him. (I reminded him of one such tale, and we chuckled over the fact that he'd...ummm...REALLY, physically hurt me. Ah, youth!) When I left here, it was as though I was charged with your positive energy. Upon my arrival at Stu's room, I started unleashing it on him, and he seemed to start healing even faster.

I spent HOURS hanging around with him. Sometimes we just watched TV. Often, we chatted about this and that. We made good and bad jokes. Even the discussions about serious, negative aspects were kept calm and filled with as much positive outlook as possible. For example, when we discussed the possibility of filing for disability, I told him that he can always start the process, and in the middle of filing, if he was up to it, call Social Security and say, "Y'know what? Thanks for your time, but I'm good for now."

What also helped was that I didn't see my biological mother AT ALL! :smallsmile: Stu called me one morning and informed me that she was on her way up to see him. I moved a little slower that day, and arrived at his room long after she'd left. He was sure that we'd be civil to one another, but I was less sure. She's an x-factor in all equations, and even the hospital staff had been quoted as saying, "She's a real piece of work, isn't she?" A part of me was hoping she and I could talk, but I was ultimately glad I never saw her. She would have drained all that positive energy out of me, and Stu might never have recieved those last doses I was able to pass on.

Oh...I spoke to my step-mom today, AKA "mom," to wish her a belated Happy Mother's Day. (She was fully understanding that I was a little busy traveling on Sunday.) Remember the post where I was a bit upset with my father and his negative reaction to my going to visit? Well, I had spoke to Dad while visiting Stu, and he was ultimately glad I made the trip. Mom confirmed that while he couldn't make the trip, he was happy I did so that I could, in a way, be his eyes. He sounded so pleased that I was able to give a good report on Stu's recovery. Thus, I was right again. :smalltongue:

When I think of what all of you did in such a short time, be it with contributions for the trip or with your well-wishes, my eyes start to sting with tears. I'm not sure you folks know EXACTLY what you did. You certainly don't know how indebted I feel toward you. If you read into all I've been saying in my posts, you helped me, Stu, my Dad, Nicki, and Xander get through a time of crisis where the Meadows family could well have lost another "youthful" member. This illness should have killed my brother. Aside from the miracles of modern medicine, I fully believe it was the Power of the Playground that helped save my brother.

Oh...To a bit of business...To those who still have the "Help us help Bor" link in your sigs, you can take those out. Shadow, if you missed it, has given the "all clear."

Unless, of course, your goal is now to get me that 108" HD Flatscreen TV. :smallwink:

With much love to all,
+Rob

PS: I wrote all this earlier, but the site refused to cooperate. So the timing may be a little off, but I'm too lazy to edit. :smalltongue:

Midnight Son
2008-05-12, 11:30 PM
Bor, I am so glad that things worked out so well for you and that they seem to be working well for your brother, too. Here's to a continued speedy recovery for him and more wellness for you.

*quaffs a ginger ale*

Shadow
2008-05-12, 11:33 PM
And I feel all warm and fuzzy inside too.
Good Job Playgrounders!
:biggrin:

Mattarias, King.
2008-05-13, 12:40 AM
:smallsmile: I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't help, but man, am I glad everything's OK.

*Mattarias points up*
:smallcool: Our hearts, united in hope, will shine brighter than all the stars in heaven! :smallbiggrin:

I must reiterate what everyone before me has said, this board is epically cool.
There's a bond, a heart forged between all of us, even in passing. *he clenches his fist* These hearts solidify and form the realization of our dreams, just as this thread has shown us.

Fight on, playgrounders! :smallamused:

Felixaar
2008-05-13, 01:26 AM
Yay! Victory! (of sorts).

banjo1985
2008-05-13, 05:52 AM
Excellent news all round! I'm really glad that you got to see your brother and that he's doiing so well, and that us playgrounders could help you for a change!

Now for that massive HD TV....c'mon people, lets get Bor his own personal cinema! :smallwink:

Felixaar
2008-05-13, 05:59 AM
Hey, Bor had his turn. I want a cinema! I kid, I kid, if anyone deserves a home cinema its Bor.

faerwain
2008-05-13, 08:19 PM
I fully believe it was the Power of the Playground that helped save my brother.

That should really become our new battlecry:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/faerwain/avas/power-playground-1.jpg

(Bor, very glad to hear it went so well, and I really wanted to say some serious words here also. But I'll edit them into this tomorrow, as a crazy friend kept me on the phone for 3 1/2 hours(my brain is empty now) and I'll have to get up very soon to work.)

Mr. Moon
2008-05-13, 08:40 PM
*hugs all around* It's great to hear your brother's doing so much better, Bor.

However, 108"? Waaay to big, it'd take up all of your appartment, not to mention the eye strain! Nononono, you'll have to settle at 58". :smalltongue:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-13, 08:59 PM
Hey, Bor had his turn. I want a cinema! I kid, I kid, if anyone deserves a home cinema its Bor.
"Deserves?" Some of you seem to have forgotten my lack of ego. Perhaps it was the euphoria of finding such love in a place where many know me well, and many don't. Heck, I don't feel I deserved the help I received, and yet I did.

Let's be clear here. This was a moment of genuine crisis. When I made those flight arrangements and motel reservations, I kept envisioning my brother's aorta expoding in his chest at any moment and bleeding to death internally before anyone could do anything about it. I fully expected very short visits every two hours while he was in the critical care unit.

Little did I know that he was downgraded the first full day of my visit. As I said, I sat around for over an hour, hanging around the hospital, waiting for the next half hour of visiting time. So much the better that he was moved to a regular room and I could spend several hours a day with Stu.

And then to see him improve dramatically each day. It was as though Stu's stubborn streak spilled over into the realm of medicine, refusing to comply with the odds of recovery.

And we had ourselves some fun with the hospital staff. It was almost a daily event when someone would show up and a conversation like this would occur:

Nurse: Mr. Meadows?
Me and Stu: Yes?
Nurse (grinning): Stu Meadows?
Stu: I'm the one that looks like a patient, right?
Nurse: I have some diloted for you.
Me: Oh, that would be mine. Thank you so much.
Stu: Hey! That cocktail is mine!

That's what he called his pain meds. His "cocktail." He had some difficulty remembering what the name of the medication. I, on the oyther hand, all but living in the world of medicine as a patient, grasped information much faster.

Wow, have *I* gone off track, or what?

What I deserve and what I got seem to be two different things. Those who've known me for decades should have leapt to my aid, and those who only know me a short while should have simply been there to provide comfort. Instead, the latter group came to the rescue, and I am simply astounded at the level of help I received.

As for the former group, my level of disappointment seems to know no bounds. "Mush," my doctor-friend in FL earning six figures a year not only refused to help get me to Stu, but had such encouraging words as, "I hope Stu has his will in order." My father, whose initial reaction was that I was wasting time, effort, and money, was also more afraid I'm have open war with my biological mother than the moral support I could offer Stu. My Floor Huggers, who've known me for over two years, didn't even offer up words of comfort, let alone open their wallets and send a few dollars my way to help with this all-important trip. I may not feel I deserved a great deal of help from these people, but I certainly didn't deserve to be brushed aside or ignored.

So...The home theater is a JOKE, people. It's not a NEED or something DESERVED. It's ultimately touching that people want to give me lavish gifts, but the one thing I've received which one cannot put a price tag on is your friendship. I tend to feel I don't deserve that, but I'll accept it, always wondering what I did to end up with friends like you folk. :smallredface:

Jagg
2008-05-13, 09:06 PM
Cue the *awwww shucks* sound effects

LightWraith
2008-05-13, 09:45 PM

(Bor, very glad to hear it went so well, and I really wanted to say some serious words here also. But I'll edit them into this tomorrow, as a crazy friend kept me on the phone for 3 1/2 hours(my brain is empty now) and I'll have to get up very soon to work.)

That picture made me laugh... but at the same time seems extremely creepy for some reason.

I am really glad that Stu is doing well Bor. I'm sure it made a world of difference when you showed up. You might be on to something with the "positive energy" idea.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-13, 09:55 PM

It may sound silly, but somehow that picture managed to help me realize why I (and probably many of you) contributed what I could. This was my chance to be a hero! God seems to have forgotten to give me the ability to fly, so I couldn't fly out there myself and fly Bor to his brother, but I was able to help purchase him an emergency plane ticket, which accomplished the same thing. Either way, I get to feel like a bit of a hero!

Let's hear it for the Power of the Playground!

Mattarias, King.
2008-05-13, 10:50 PM
Let's hear it for the Power of the Playground!

Hear, hear! The swords of our souls will pierce even the darkest veils!

Shadow
2008-05-14, 02:52 AM
Either way, I get to feel like a bit of a hero!
Me too! :smallbiggrin:

ForzaFiori
2008-05-14, 05:10 AM
Bor, any time you wonder something like what you did to wind up with friends, or why we did this for you, read the quote in your sig. and keep reading it till it sinks in.

Felixaar
2008-05-14, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I was just joking a bout the home theatre too. A good note for talking to me is that I'm pretty much always just joking. At any rate Bor, I was more than happy to help.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-14, 02:50 PM
I don't believe this. I simply don't believe it.

STU IS ABOUT READY TO GO HOME!!! :smallbiggrin:

I literally just hung up to phone with him, and after asking when he was going to be "paroled," he told me that the kidney people have signed off on him, the heart people have signed off on him, and that the lung people have signed off on him. The only one missing from the list is the admitting doctor, Stu's PCP. While his chest hurts a bit still, his major pain is in his back from lying around all the time. He's attached to nothing. No oxygen, no IV, no nothing. Stu is simply waiting around for G-d only knows what.

I don't get it. I spent 27 days in the hospital some years ago for an infection in a bone in my foot. Stu, if he's released today, will have spent 16 days in the hospital after his cardiovascular system almost literally exploded! I dunno...I feel cheated somehow. I rushed out to TN to see my brother, who could die at any moment, and he has the nerve to recover so quickly that even the doctors don't fully understand it. And what's killing him now is boredom. Go figure. :smalltongue:

His new worry is what the hospital bill will look like once insurance has covered their part. I told him to burn that bridge when he gets to it. No sense in worrying over it now. He also reported that he will likely file for temporary Social Security Disability, which, in the hands of his very capable wife, will go a long way.

And that's it for this "Stu Report," folks. As usual, my thanks knows no bounds. :smallsmile:

+Rob

Supagoof
2008-05-14, 03:38 PM
Meh. What's the insurance company going to do if he doesn't pay - take back the surgery? :smallbiggrin::smallamused:

Though they might....stupid insurance...*what? Yeah I know I work for one. So what - I still support universal health care. I can always get a job at McDs. Fine, fine, I'll get back to work.*

Bor, Glad to hear your brother is doing so well. For the rest of us, know that by helping you we helped ourselves, and all our souls are that much better for harvesting it.

BOOM DE YADA!

skywalker
2008-05-15, 12:47 AM
I tend to feel I don't deserve that, but I'll accept it, always wondering what I did to end up with friends like you folk. :smallredface:
You rocked. For some dumb reason, I really want to curse right now(no, no, put away the modhammer, I'm not actually going to), but quite simply, you rocked.

You showed up every day and suited up and went out there and played a great game of Humanity. You typed posts in the depression thread with one eye. You reminded people that their problems weren't any bigger than yours, but they weren't any smaller than yours, either. That's a unique perspective that most people don't give. So way to be. I don't know what else to say. Still not convinced? Cuz I'm pretty sure that was my A1 talking-to, unless you want me to curse at you. I used to be a jock, I can do it, you know.

I'm also happy your brother's going home. I told you this was going to end well. :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2008-05-15, 12:54 AM
Did someone call for a modhammer? *raises hammer to obliterate skywalker's post* Oh, I see what you did there. :smallamused:

Well, while I'm here, nice work everybody. There are so many forums out there, but it's things like this that make this a community - and a damn fine community at that. I'm glad to hear Bor's brother is going home and that Bor was able to make the trip. I hope Bor and his family continue to...what's the appropriate sentiment here...be well.

Shadow
2008-05-15, 03:16 AM
I was at the bar tonight.
I'm not going to lie. I'm drunk. Quite a bit so.
But I have to acknowledge the fact that I was waiting for a mod to post here in some form or another. The fact that it was done so with love and/or sympathy only reassures me that I did the right thing by starting this whole endeavor.
Don''t get me wrong, I would've felt that way regardless, but the fact that it was just confirmed by 'the powers that be' only reinforce that belief.

So, one last time, thank you to all those involved. You are all heroes, and by default, made me one as well. So thanks. :smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2008-05-15, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't send money, and also that I decide to post in this thread too late to offer words of kindness before your trip, Bor.

However, now that we are celebrating, I say, thank you Bor, thank you. You're a great person, and I get the feeling your brother is a lot like you. It'd be a shame if the world lost you, and it'd be a shame if the world lost your brother.

Also, be well. :smallsmile:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-15, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't send money, and also that I decide to post in this thread too late to offer words of kindness before your trip, Bor.

However, now that we are celebrating, I say, thank you Bor, thank you. You're a great person, and I get the feeling your brother is a lot like you. It'd be a shame if the world lost you, and it'd be a shame if the world lost your brother.

Also, be well. :smallsmile:
Emphasis, mine.

Nope. Not at all. We share a dry sense of humor. That's about it. Still, he's the only brother I speak to and care about. The other wants nothing to do with me. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, thanks for the compliment, CFG. :smallsmile:

Anyway...Stu called today. He's home, and has been ordered to do as close to nothing as possible for the next 12 weeks. No shopping for food with Nicki, no driving, no nothing. Stay home and rest.

Oddly, he tells me he's found out that he can't file for temporary disability. Something about needing to be disabled for 12 months before he can do so. If that's the case, where's the "temporary" part? If someone is sick for 12 months, and THEN files for disability, odds are good it's not temporary at all. :smallconfused:

With that, folks, this crisis is officially status quo. Unless he does something dumb like try to mow his front lawn, which I discovered is at an ugly slope, he should recover nicely.

Although this was not exactly a happy adventure, what you folks did for me will be a tale I'll be retelling for years to come. From my mouth to G-d's ears, may I never have to call upon you wonderful people again for such an emergency.

+Rob

Midnight Son
2008-05-15, 09:53 PM
If, heaven forbid, you ever do need us again, Bor, you can be damn sure we'll be here.

I love this place. We're just like a very large family. We fight and argue and joke and poke fun at and with each other, but when it comes down to it, when one of our own needs help, we're there for them 100%, helping them in whatever way we can.

*hugs everyone*

Felixaar
2008-05-18, 07:12 AM
I was at the bar tonight.
I'm not going to lie. I'm drunk. Quite a bit so.
But I have to acknowledge the fact that I was waiting for a mod to post here in some form or another. The fact that it was done so with love and/or sympathy only reassures me that I did the right thing by starting this whole endeavor.
Don''t get me wrong, I would've felt that way regardless, but the fact that it was just confirmed by 'the powers that be' only reinforce that belief.

So, one last time, thank you to all those involved. You are all heroes, and by default, made me one as well. So thanks. :smallbiggrin:

I gotta say, your typing is suprisingly apt for the proposed inebration.

Second everything Midnight Son said, though. As well as the hugs.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-20, 02:01 PM
So, I spoke to Stu the other day, and he's at home, learning his current physical limits. It's like a bat to his head with the words "Welcome to my world" etch into it. Of course, I'd rather he recover fully than find himself living a lifestyle similar to mine. Thus, I ask you folks keep up those prayers and the like for a full return to health for him.

I also e-mails him a link to the forums so he could see this thread and post a note to you folks. I also suggested a user name to him to kinda show our relationship. It's possible, however, that he'll deny being related to me, as I to him, and that claims of being switched in the nursery will begin. :smalltongue: If he doesn't post soon, I will call and berate him, as a good elder brother should. :smallbiggrin:

The idea still keeps coming to my head, though. I'm wondering what the thought of is giving the site some press. I mean news-type press. It's more than being about a human interest story; it's the kind of tale that restores faith in humanity. For those who've come to know me, I want the whole world to share warm, fuzzy feelings. What you people did for me was amazing, and I REALLY want to shout it to the world.

My fear, of course, is that the whole world will then come running to GitP and asking for help with their various crises. That's what holds me back. This isn't "The Bank of Get You Out of Trouble."

Maybe I'll just spread the word slowly, as I have been. The awesomeness that is GitP will be out little secret. :smallwink:

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-20, 08:15 PM
Bor, we are so glad Stu got to go home. We have thought about him a lot and wondered how things were going. I hope you continue to keep us posted on Stu and you.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-21, 02:37 AM
Well, he called today, and it has finally dawned on him exactly how serious his condition was. For all the times I've told him that he should have died, it took words from his wife to make him wake up to what happened. On that first night when he was in the critical care unit, she was pulled aside and told by a hospital staff member, "Prepare for the worst." It was driven home even further when word reached him from someone who'd been working in the hospital for 20 years. Said this mystery person, "In all my years, I have NEVER seen someone come in with what you had and live."

So what caused this miracle? How did my brother beat the odds and heal faster than medical science can explain? What divine power was watching over the walking, talking ball of sarcasm I call a brother?

My knowledge of the workings of the human body kind of threw him for a loop during our chat. He was already counting the hours before he could take his next dose of pain meds, yet he claimed that talking with me was making him feel better. "Well, Stu," I began, "there's a reason why they say 'laughter is the best medicine.' Smiling, laughing, and all that good stuff releases endorphins. They increase healing and relieve pain."

The sad part in all of this is that my youngest brother never called Stu. Stu had to call him. It's sad, really. Conversely, my running to TN in his time of extreme illness may well be strengthening the bond between Stu and I. And of the rest of my family, it would seem I'm the only one who really understood exactly how bad things were.

And what I haven't made very clear is exactly how much suffering I did while in TN. I've made mention of it from time to time, but it's over a week and I'm still recovering from the trip. No...It really was all about my brother. It's ultimately shocking that I, far from being in the best of health, would "run" to his side, while those in fairer health simply made the occasional phone call.

*sigh* I need a better family. Anyone out there want to adopt a soon-to-be 41-year-old "boy?" :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-21, 03:03 AM
I always wanted a big brother, does that count? :smallcool:

Felixaar
2008-05-21, 06:31 AM
Actually, you're old enough to be my father, but in all honesty I've always seen this whole forum as being a family.

Uts the Monk Ba
2008-05-21, 08:34 AM
To everyone who helped Bor (my brother)

I want to thank everyone for their donations to help my brother get to me in my time of crisis.
I’ve only just started reading the posts. I can’t sit at the computer too long because my back starts to hurt. Probably from my repaired kidney.
The last family member I would have ever expected to visit me is my older brother. But only because I know he can’t afford it. Having him there really helped my moral since, as he mentioned, my younger brother never even called.

I’ll write more later, right now I have a four year old to take care of. That’s right, I’m recovering from a near death experience and still find the time to take care of my son. Just call me “Super Uts”. Then again, maybe you shouldn’t. That just sounds silly.

Supagoof
2008-05-21, 11:13 AM
Yays! We all wins. New family member to forum, welcome Uts.

Supagoof approves of the Super Uts. It's just super, thanks for asking! :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-21, 11:29 AM
Is your name Stu by any chance? :smalltongue:

EDIT: It would have been funnier if that tidbit wasn't shared.

So if you have a brother named Bob, would he be Bob the Barbarian Monk?

Shadow
2008-05-21, 12:17 PM
Yea!
Glad you stopped by Stu Uts!

Mountain_Faerie
2008-05-21, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the Playground Uts! We think you are awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-21, 01:24 PM
HE LIVES!

Well, we already knew that from all my babbling.

His name was supposed to be "Uts the Monk Barbarian," but something went screwy along the way. And, yes, for those who have YET to notice, "Bor" is simply Rob spelled backwards.

Oddly, when he said he would put that little note up, he said he would probably come here, put up a note, and then never return. But he says he'll be coming back to write more later.

Will he? Won't he? *points to Batman and Robin slowly being lowered into a vat of boiling acid* And HOW will our dynamic duo get out of THIS one? Will the Joker finally have the last laugh? Will our heroes have stomach ulcers that start in their ankles? Tune in next time! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

Uncle Festy
2008-05-21, 06:14 PM
And, yes, for those who have YET to notice, "Bor" is simply Rob spelled backwards.

Yup. I just got that. :smallbiggrin:
Anyhoo, welcome Uts! Nice to have you!

Mr. Moon
2008-05-21, 06:48 PM
*hugs Uts* He's alive! Wellcome to the playground, prepare to have your organs devoured by phsycopathic demons!

*sigh* I need a better family. Anyone out there want to adopt a soon-to-be 41-year-old "boy?"

Hey, BR, whadaya think? Shall we drag Bor into the family?

Uts the Monk Ba
2008-05-22, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the warm welcomes.

And again for those whom haven't noticed, just as Bor is backwards for Rob, Uts is backwards for Stu. So if you've been reading Bor's messages, it's easy to see that I'm the one he has been talking about.

Feel free to ask me anything about what happened. Here's one for you now. Bor told you about the bonehead move of me taking off my BiPAP mask and then realizing something was very wrong. I couldn't breathe. This was actually bonehead move #2.

Bonehead move #1 was right after the attack. You see, I've been unemployed since November, I don't go out alot (I've been plying Mr. Mom), and therefore only shower and shave every other day to conserve water. Believe me, my wife is working so hard to pay the bills, every penny counts.
Anyway, the day of the attack was a shower day. At first we thought maybe I just pulled a muscle, so I told my wife that I'll shave and shower and see how I feel after.
By the time my shower was over, I could even bend down to dry my legs. My wife helped me get dressed (Mom was happy I now had clean underwear on), I walked into the living room, sat down and told her to call 911.
I had a 231 over something BP when the paramedics got there. Bonehead move #1 complete.

I plan on getting a lage "L" tattooed on my forehead as soon as my doctor says it's OK.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-22, 12:05 PM
"We're manly men. We do manly things. And then we wash our hands."

Don't know where that comes from, other than an acquaintance often said it. Meanwhile, it represents the way Stu and I were reared. When I jokingly say, "Don't worry about my health; it'll go away," it comes from my father's younger attitiude from his own health issues. Stu and I inheritted bonehead moves from our lead bonehead, our father.

For example, I was at work at our family business, when Dad mentioned something about chest pains. When I suggested he get himself to a hospital, he dismissed my concerns, claiming he still had some things to take care of. Hours later, he drove himself to the hospital, where he was kept for weeks! He was there so long that he had to legally made Stu and I company executives so we could sign checks to pay the bills. (Mind you, Stu's memory is better than mine, so he may end up correcting me at any time.)

The boneheadedness is apparently genetic. Stu has already given an example, so I'll toss in my own tale.

I was living with my girlfriend, Robin, and she decided to make us "a man dinner." Steak, potatoes, and, for some reason, salad. In the middle of the night, I awoke with a stomach ache. Thinking the meal was simply too heavy, took an antacid and went back to bed. In the morning, I couldn't stand up straight, nor could I fully extend my right leg. Later that day, I had an emergency appendectomy.

"Pulled a muscle," indeed. Oh, the cracks I could make right now. But this is a family show, so I'll behave. :smalltongue:

Ossian
2008-05-23, 07:14 AM
Thank you for the warm welcomes.

And again for those whom haven't noticed, just as Bor is backwards for Rob, Uts is backwards for Stu. So if you've been reading Bor's messages, it's easy to see that I'm the one he has been talking about.

Hi Stu! Welcome to the playground. Glad you made it through that rough patch and that Bor could be there too. What happened here on the playground was just the perfect example I´d give if the Angel of Death asked me why should he spare Earth (of course, after asking him what is his CR and if he happens to be carrying his + 5 flaming sword).

Now, seriously, it´s wonderful that you are on your way to full health.

Take care, and best luck with your job-hunt.

Cheers

ossian (or "Manuel", since I addressed you by first name)

Supagoof
2008-05-23, 10:45 AM
*snip*
Will he? Won't he? *points to Batman and Robin slowly being lowered into a vat of boiling acid* And HOW will our dynamic duo get out of THIS one? Will the Joker finally have the last laugh? Will our heroes have stomach ulcers that start in their ankles? Tune in next time! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

*snip*
I was living with *snip* Robin, *snip*I know which one of your is Bat-man. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-05-23, 10:51 AM
hiya Uts! Welcome to the playground!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-23, 04:34 PM
Ummm...It should be noted that Stu would understand a D&D reference the way I understand rocket science. We've both heard of such things.

As for Stu'd hanging around the forums regularly...As I mentioned before, he's claimed that won't be happening. Although he did invite people to ask questions about his adventures in near-death experiences.

Oh...Moon Called, Stu and I have had a morbid joke about the day I may or may not need a kidney, and that he was first on my list should those organs fail me. With his recent experience, he's told me he's taking himself off that list. And...ummm...said list actually only had him on it, so the list has actually vanished. So there will be no harvesting of organs. :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2008-05-24, 09:07 PM
Oh...Moon Called, Stu and I have had a morbid joke about the day I may or may not need a kidney, and that he was first on my list should those organs fail me. With his recent experience, he's told me he's taking himself off that list. And...ummm...said list actually only had him on it, so the list has actually vanished. So there will be no harvesting of organs. :smalltongue:

*holds up sword eagerly* Oh don't worry, I'll leave the kidneys in. I don't need those, anyway. All I'm asking for is the major organs, kidneys aren't worth anything these days. :smalltongue:

DarkLightDragon
2008-05-24, 10:36 PM
It's nice to see that Uts is still with us! I will now join in welcoming him to the Playground! :smallsmile:

*welcomes and hugs*