2008-05-02, 04:46 PM
The pain in life

your turn

Da King
2008-05-02, 04:54 PM
It's rather calming and peaceful.

DraPrime
2008-05-02, 05:05 PM
Politics. But I'm almost always thinking about that.

Blayze
2008-05-02, 05:22 PM
"Somewhere out there, there's a jogger getting rained on."

The Pink Wonder
2008-05-02, 05:27 PM
I think of how the sound is so relaxing- it always helps me sleep :smallsmile:

sktarq
2008-05-02, 05:32 PM
Dance? Should I? I can't wait for it to end and to smell the cleansed air.

Player_Zero
2008-05-02, 05:33 PM
I think about the rain, what with watching it an' all.

I like the rain... It's rainy an' stuff.

Green Bean
2008-05-02, 05:40 PM
Honestly? "Haw haw, I'm dry and you poor suckers aren't! Enjoy your pneumonia, suckers!"

My mind is much meaner than I am, for some reason. :smallredface:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-02, 05:45 PM
It makes me want to hold someone. Or dance in it. Or both.

DraPrime
2008-05-02, 05:54 PM

Heh, that's probably me.

Raiser Blade
2008-05-02, 06:24 PM
I think of small drops of water being poured out on earth.

UglyPanda
2008-05-02, 08:10 PM
It's going to be wet. Am I supposed to be sad? I don't feel more sad than usual.

Copacetic
2008-05-02, 08:18 PM
That people are likr ran drops: No matter what you do, you'll end up hitting the pavement and might as well enjoy the ride down.

Dragonrider
2008-05-02, 08:21 PM
Snarky answer: "OH WOW it's actually RAINING! I can't believe it! It never rains here!"

Honest answer: *chills*

Mr. Moon
2008-05-02, 08:23 PM
When it starts raining on my way home from school - "Aw fug. I don't wanna get wet. I hate getting wet, dammit now my hat's gonna get wet and it'll take forever to dry. Then hurry up. Oh shush. Quit talking to yourself! Your the one telling me not to talk to myself." Meanwhile I'm walking along, getting annoyed at my brain's conversation with itself. No, seriously, I've had that string of thought many times before. It pisses me off.

The rest of the time - "Rain. Huh. How annoying."

Jack Squat
2008-05-02, 08:53 PM
I normally think it's a good time to run back to my room and grab my jacket, as rain always seems to catch me by suprise as I'm leaving for class.

Every other time, I don't really think anything special...it's just water afterall.

Brickwall
2008-05-02, 09:06 PM
"Welp, guess I'm staying inside today."

Or,

"Damn, I wish I could stay inside today."

Flickerdart
2008-05-02, 09:23 PM
From indoors: "Eww, everything is grayscale now."
From outdoors:"GET IT OFFA ME!"

wxdruid
2008-05-02, 09:27 PM
Well, I think of Gwen's construct Tiger...

Otherwise I'm thinking of the processes behind the rain, why it's raining, where it's going, how much, is it associated with a cold front? a warm front? Will it thunder? Is it cumuliform? stratiform? Did the forecaster forecast the rain? If not, why?

Haruki-kun
2008-05-02, 09:33 PM
The Rain is.... the time for new beginnings in my opinion. I think "The sky's gonna be all clear tomorrow and the air's gonna be cleaner, and the plants won't be so dry anymore."

Also, if it's starts raining at night, like O-Chul, I think "I'm gonna sleep so well tonight...."

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-02, 09:33 PM
"Dammit, campus walk is gonna be flooded."
Or
"Aw, it was so nice out before."
Or
"Hooray! Rain! Now it will cool down a little!"

At the moment I'd be thinking the latter.

Dragonrider
2008-05-02, 09:52 PM
Aw fug.

Have you read An Abundance of Katherines, or is that direct from the source? :smallbiggrin:

zeratul
2008-05-02, 10:17 PM
I don't really think when I see the rain. I just sort of walk through it half focusing, and take in the beauty of it.

Kaboose
2008-05-02, 10:23 PM
hot chocolate

Nychta
2008-05-02, 10:25 PM
Hot chocolate, cats, open fires, and "oh, ****, my friend's gonna bitch about how her hair went frizzy".

Jae
2008-05-02, 10:29 PM
For some reason I have three kinds of reactions to rain, and they're all very good.

If Im with my friends or at school, i get undeniably HAPPY. I will dance around and tell everybody how amazingggg the day is, etcetc. and get soaked. if theres track practice, all the better.

If Im not around people (lets say, taking a walk around my neighborhood) my mood is..calm. contemplative. introspective. I feel oddly different and Im likely to wander around without realizing what time it is or anything. I like it, though.

and lol this sounds uberly lame/corny but when im tired and i can hear the rain outside I get obsessed. ive literally thought "i could live right here, listening to the rain, for the rest of eternity and be happy"

odd, ehh?

The Extinguisher
2008-05-02, 10:31 PM
"I'm going to need new pants"

NecroRebel
2008-05-03, 12:33 AM
I don't really pay much attention to the rain... Where I live it rains for roughly seven months out of the year (and I don't mean occasionally rains during seven months, I mean it is actually raining for seven months in a year), so I'm more than a little used to it.
That's a slight exagerration. Slight.
When I do notice the rain, I usually consider the nature of the sky. The sky is very much associated with winds, though also light from the sun and stars and water from the rain itself. I find the wind most fascinating, though... So solid as it blows through your hands and by your face, yet very much ephemeral too. You cannot catch it no matter how hard you try. I wonder, often, what it would be to grasp the wind, to let it carry me away, and ultimately just to see where it would take me. How would things look from up high, alone in the breezes? I dream of it.

I used to think that, of all the "classic" superpowers, flight alone would be rather boring. Now, I think that, in the world as it is now, being able to fly under one's own power would be wonderful. Perhaps I'm just silly, but I see the ground from afar when I sleep more than anything else, and I'd like to know how that compares.

...Then again, if I could get that ability bundled up in something else, that'd be even better.

Vaynor
2008-05-03, 12:41 AM
I think, "Oh, it's raining," then move on to do better things with my life than watch water fall from the sky. :smallsmile:

Zakama
2008-05-03, 03:02 AM
I wish I was outside in it. Usually if I had a choice of what the weather would be I would pick rain.

ufo
2008-05-03, 03:54 AM
I think it's relaxing, almost as watching the stars (which I love, too). Sometimes I want to go out and dance in it.

SDF
2008-05-03, 04:14 AM
odd, ehh?

No.

Rain itself doesn't have any significant effect on me, I guess if anything the feeling would be bittersweet. But the smell, it's that smell of freshly fallen rain on the asphalt that reminds me of my childhood in MN.

Oh, and Toto.

Emperor Ing
2008-05-03, 06:47 AM
Watching rain. One of the few moments when I feel truly free.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-03, 06:52 AM
Nothing, just pure nothing, pure relief and nothing. No tasks, no duties, nothing.

Watching rain. One of the few moments when I feel truly free.

QFT

Shas aia Toriia
2008-05-03, 07:54 AM
When I watch rain?

I watch the puddles where rain has gathered, looking at the craters of the rain drops. From this, I attempt to figure out a pattern of the rain's falling, followed up by a quick chart of my observances of the puddles and what not.

Trog
2008-05-03, 09:57 AM
Usually one of two things:

Either I think about the time back in Freshman year of high school where I was at my next door neighbor's house with like 10 other guys and all of a sudden it was POURING. Like a downpour that comes suddenly (it was still very bright out) hard and fast with very big droplets that kinda hurt when they hit. We all ran outside, shirtless and shoeless. We ran, as a group, into the street, screaming at the top of our lungs, barely able to see. All the neighbors heard us and saw us and for no reason we ran up the street. Then back down. Then halfway up again. Then back inside. We were all out of breath and soaked to the bone and laughing with that sheer joy of youth and freedom and carpe diem.

I either think of that or I think of the rain god in the Hitchhiker's Guide books ("It rains... ALL the TIME!").

Cristo Meyers
2008-05-03, 10:08 AM
Recently? "Why does it always rain whenever I get my suede jacket out?"

Usually, I use it to help focus on my work-in-progress. The patter sound helps me tune out everything but getting what's going on in my head down on the page.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-05-03, 12:13 PM
So many things . . .
Like the birth of new rainbows bringing beauty to the most mundane and underrated things when the sun gleams upon the earth once more. The way that, somehow, it will make life bappier and better.
It makes me think of rebirth and sheer joy because everything is made new and clean.
Or sheer exuberant energy as the sky falls to play a rhythm and dance with the earth and its inhabitants. I want to go and dance in it, I want to watch it, I want to see the wraiths, born and living for a few seconds only, dance their dance.
Or melancholy. A crying sky mourning her separation from the earth. A soft sorrow.
Happiness also. A warm drowsy feeling of good work done well. It makes peace and contemplation easier.
Or rarely, anger. Anger at being caught inside or having to walk in it carrying a heavy burden.

I think I'm rather complex.

Mando Knight
2008-05-03, 12:21 PM
Franz Schubert's Der Erl Konig. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUnEuFPcFY&feature=related) (Begins at around 0:35, before then is the end of another song played by the same pianist.)

Mr. Moon
2008-05-03, 02:34 PM
Have you read An Abundance of Katherines, or is that direct from the source? :smallbiggrin:

I haven't. I just like the way fug sounds. It reminds me of fudge, so it chears me up a bit, without sounding as (sort-of) whimpy as actualy saying fudge. Although it sounds like a good book.

Lucia
2008-05-03, 02:41 PM
*Awakens in the middle of the night, it´s rainning outside*

My house´s basement!! Is it getting flodded?? I must go check now!!
*gets up from bed, climbs down stairs, the basement is ok*
Thanks gooood!!
*goes back to bed but keeps listening to the rain, wondering if the street is alredy flodded* :smallfrown:

This is why I´ve never quite got what people mean by `the soothing and relaxing effect of rain´ :smallannoyed:

Ceska
2008-05-03, 02:54 PM
1. The smell of sweat mixed with rain mixed on wet clothes.
2. Traffic is going to be horrible today.
3. A mixture of blood and faeces, watered down running into the gutter.
or most often
4. A cover of hypocrisy torn to pieces by the drops, revealing a well known darker reality - like a short clear sentence that ignores the rules of courtesy to speak the real intent.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-05-03, 02:55 PM
Water, generally.

Skippy
2008-05-03, 03:23 PM
Do you remember that part, in the V for Vendetta movie, when Evie goes out in the rain?

That's mostly how I feel. I love the rain.

Unless I am carrying electronics. Then I want to make sure they're safe and dry before feeling free.

Ranna
2008-05-03, 04:26 PM
I put bets on which raindrop will reach the bottom of the window first then watch rather avidly, rinse, and repeat.

Vuzzmop
2008-05-03, 04:44 PM
"This picnic was a bad decision".

Or from inside: "Meh, it'll be sunny again in like, ten minutes". Auckland is great that way. Four seasons in one add break.

CrazedGoblin
2008-05-03, 06:05 PM

couple of days a go that jogger was me and i was getting rained on hehe:smallbiggrin:

Nychta
2008-05-03, 06:21 PM
"This picnic was a bad decision".

Or from inside: "Meh, it'll be sunny again in like, ten minutes". Auckland is great that way. Four seasons in one add break.

Apart from, say, now, when it's been raining for 11 minutes. :smalltongue: I kid, I kid. It's letting up already.

I put bets on which raindrop will reach the bottom of the window first then watch rather avidly, rinse, and repeat.

Oh my gosh. I didn't want to mention that because I thought I was completely, utterly, weird, but happily, I've found you!:smallbiggrin: *happy dance*

SurlySeraph
2008-05-03, 07:29 PM
I think, "Oh, it's raining," then move on to do better things with my life than watch water fall from the sky. :smallsmile:

Same. Rain has very little symbolic or emotional meaning for me.

Scatman
2008-05-03, 08:12 PM
I live in West Texas. It's raining. We must have angered Chuck Jones AND Chuck Norris.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-03, 09:46 PM
I usually think of all the different things I can do with my life, or of chances missed in the past.

Ceska
2008-05-04, 12:42 AM
Like posting in an internet forum?

skywalker
2008-05-04, 12:53 AM
It depends what kind of rain. That's a pretty word. I've never noticed that before. Lingually, rain is awesome.

I think it's funny how much we romanticize rain. In reality, for me at least, rain is rarely like you see in the movies. Much bigger drops, you see. Also, it doesn't seem to have that mystical quality that it does in the movies. I danced in the rain with a girl once, it was fun but not quite the experience I was looking for. I think I may have been trying too hard to have it.

Oh, and lately, I've just been thinking, "oh, hey, that's rain. I almost forgot what that was. Lord knows we need it. I hope my dog's not wet. He hates being wet."*Goes to check on dog*

Agamid
2008-05-04, 01:10 AM
love, life and freedom.

it makes me inexplicably happy and full of energy. I literally cannot be sad in the rain.

The Orange Zergling
2008-05-04, 03:41 AM
I wish I was outside in it. Usually if I had a choice of what the weather would be I would pick rain.

Ditto. Rain makes me happy.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-04, 03:45 AM
I hate being out in he rain (unless it's only light drizzle), but I find it comforting if I'm inside and I don't need to go for a walk.

Dave Rapp
2008-05-04, 05:01 AM
Semi-poem thing I once wrote:

Sometimes I go for
A walk in the rain
And pretend I have
Someone to walk with.

Thufir
2008-05-04, 01:45 PM
Depends on how heavy the rain is. If it's light to medium heaviness, I tend to look up and exult, or if I'm inside, I consider going out for a walk.
If it's really heavy, it bothers me. I don't like getting full-on soaked.

Also, my mind always used to go from 'Singing in the Rain' to Morecambe and Wise, and thereby to 'Bring Me Sunshine', which I always found rather amusing.

Edge
2008-05-04, 02:47 PM
"Typical bloody Britain. Why can't we have a modicum of sunshine with a gentle breeze to keep the temperature comfortable? WHY?!"

Sammich
2008-05-04, 02:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgPDRtc2FM

Sammich
2008-05-04, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgPDRtc2FM

evisiron
2008-05-04, 07:27 PM
Two things:

1. I hope there is a storm

2. "No single drop of rain every thinks its to blame for the flood".

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-04, 07:35 PM
either:

1.) Ahh. thank science I don't need to go outside.

or

2.) Wank, I need to go outside.

PhallicWarrior
2008-05-04, 08:41 PM
If inside: the sky is crying.

If outside: I either (sometimes literally) drink it in and enjoy myself. If I've got a place I have to go, I'll ignore it. (I've actually attracted attention from people, because while everyone else was swearing and grumbling about how they were getting wet, slowing down, brushing water out of their eyes, I just kept walking. The crowning moment of awesome in my life was overhearing a little kid ask his mom, "Is that man a robot?" I wasn't wearing a coat when it was gusting and raining, and I don't have a car, so I walked.

Phoe
2008-05-05, 08:05 AM
Depends, what I want to do. If I want to go inline-skating outside I hate rain, splashing in my face and I'm getting sopping wet - no thanks! Also when it is cold and it is raining, you are freezing like mad.

Back when I was living at home with my parents my room was right under the roof, so I could hear the raindrops falling down on my window and when it was night - just street lamps on - there was funny creatures from the water/rain running down the window (phantasy is such a good thing) so it calms me down and I like to listen to the raindrops on my window.

†Seer†
2008-05-05, 12:13 PM
I think of late nights with friends, walking around the streets of our neighborhood, and it's extremely pleasing.

It also makes a bittersweet happiness for the times I walked alone through the city when it was raining when I didn't feel like going home.

All in all, I love the rain :smallsmile: