PDA

View Full Version : Runestaves with Cure Critical Wounds?

Frosty
2008-05-03, 02:34 AM
You can put any arcane spell into a Runestaff right? Does that mean you can technically get Cure Critical Wounds on one as well since Bards can cast them as arcane spells? And you can get one with the level 6 version of Polar Ray because Warmages ge them as level 6?

JaxGaret
2008-05-03, 03:37 AM
A Runestaff can have any spells in it that the caster who is creating it has access to for item creation. It follows the exact same rules as for crafting a Staff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingStaffs). The spells in a Runestaff must also have a thematic link, which means that the DM must approve any custom Runestaff.

IIRC Polar Ray is an 8th level spell for a Warmage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-03, 03:43 AM
IIRC Polar Ray is an 8th level spell for a Warmage.Nope, 6th.

And still weak.:smallamused:

JaxGaret
2008-05-03, 03:45 AM
Nope, 6th.

And still weak.:smallamused:

I'm looking at Complete Arcane right now. It's an 8th level spell for a Warmage.

Perhaps you both are thinking of Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, a 6th level spell.

Nebo_
2008-05-03, 03:58 AM
{Scrubbed}

SilverClawShift
2008-05-03, 07:57 AM
{Scrubbed}

Unnecessarily cruel.

But funny.

Nebo_
2008-05-03, 08:16 AM
Unnecessarily cruel.

But funny.

I wasn't trying to be cruel, it just really annoys me. I'm glad you found it funny.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-03, 08:23 AM
{Scrubbed}

Well, we've had others who feel compelled to create a great bucketload of threads *cough*Emperor Demonking*cough*, but it's not that bad.

Draz74
2008-05-03, 10:21 AM
Yeah ... currently six out of the 50 threads on the front page were started by Frosty. That doesn't seem too overwhelming or extreme to me.

Chronos
2008-05-03, 10:31 AM
It's a fifth-level spell for a Duskblade, though.

Frosty
2008-05-03, 11:33 AM
I wasn't trying to be cruel, it just really annoys me. I'm glad you found it funny.

I'll get back to you after I create a thread about that to ask. :smalltongue:

Sorry for annoying you though :smalleek:

Swooper
2008-05-03, 11:55 AM
It's a fifth-level spell for a Duskblade, though.
Yeah, but you'd need a high level duskblade that knows it AND took Craft Staff to get it :smalltongue: And even then, it's not that good.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-03, 12:15 PM
Divine Runestaves are called Domain Staves and are found in Complete Champion. They require you expend a divine spell slot of the appropriate level.

There is a Domain Staff of Healing

CLW, CMW, CSW, CCW, MCLW, Heal, Regenerate, MCCW, Mass Heal

18,000 gp.

(Of course this doesnt help the Arcane Bard CCW idea. Just pointing out the Domain Staff thing)

Reel On, Love
2008-05-03, 02:36 PM
I wasn't trying to be cruel, it just really annoys me.

Simple solution.
Kill him. Take his stuff.

Jack_Simth
2008-05-03, 03:07 PM
You can put any arcane spell into a Runestaff right? Does that mean you can technically get Cure Critical Wounds on one as well since Bards can cast them as arcane spells? Yes and no.

They're spell trigger (or was it spell completion?) items, so you still need to have the spell on your class list before you can use that spell.

Hmm... would the Emulate a Class Feature use of UMD potentially supply a spell slot to power a Runestaff?

Divine Runestaves are called Domain Staves and are found in Complete Champion. They require you expend a divine spell slot of the appropriate level.

There is a Domain Staff of Healing

CLW, CMW, CSW, CCW, MCLW, Heal, Regenerate, MCCW, Mass Heal

18,000 gp.

(Of course this doesnt help the Arcane Bard CCW idea. Just pointing out the Domain Staff thing)
They don't do quite what you think they do.

First off, they're 36k market; it looks like you're getting the 18k from the cost to create.

Second off, a given spell can only be converted once per day (just like domains), and you can only be attuned to one staff at a time.

The_Snark
2008-05-03, 03:11 PM
To answer the actual question, you could indeed put Cure Critical Wounds into a runestaff. You wouldn't be able to use it unless you had Cure Critical Wounds on your spell list, though, and since standard runestaves only work with arcane spellcasters, only the bard is going to get any use out of that.

As for the second question, the example given (a hexblade using a 2nd-level spell slot to cast Suggestion, which is a 2nd-level spell for them but a 3rd-level spell for wizards) would seem to indicate that you expend a spell slot equivalent to what you'd use if you, personally, were casting the spell from your own slots. I guess you could have the staff crafted by a duskblade or something to try to reduce the cost of putting in Polar Ray, but that's it.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-03, 03:47 PM
First off, they're 36k market; it looks like you're getting the 18k from the cost to create.

Second off, a given spell can only be converted once per day (just like domains), and you can only be attuned to one staff at a time.

That's what I get for not reading. :)

Frosty
2008-05-03, 07:46 PM
To answer the actual question, you could indeed put Cure Critical Wounds into a runestaff. You wouldn't be able to use it unless you had Cure Critical Wounds on your spell list, though, and since standard runestaves only work with arcane spellcasters, only the bard is going to get any use out of that.

Not necssarily true. UMD can do it with a DC 20 or 25 check depending on how your DM wants to do it. My Beguiler can in fact pass himself off as an Arcane Hierophant of some sort with the right Runestaff. Polymorph my Rat into a Bear or something. Boom. Others think I have an animal companion. Use it on myself. Hey look, I DO have wildshape! I can even cast Cure Critical Wounds!