PDA

View Full Version : Best Metamagic Feat ever?

Kizara
2008-05-03, 10:00 PM
Let's say your high-level cleric of uberness could have this:

AUTOMATIC METAMAGIC
The deity can apply a particular metamagic feat to spells she can cast or to her spell-like abilities with no spell slot adjustment.
. . Prerequisite: Spellcaster level 1st.
. . Benefit: The deity chooses one non-epic metamagic feat. As a free action, she can apply the selected feat to the spells from any one spellcasting class she has or to her spell-like abilities. A spell altered by the use of this ability does not use up a higher-level slot.
. . Notes: The deity must obey all the limitations normally associated with the metamagic feat. Feats that depend on making the spell’s level higher, such as Heighten Spell, do not work with this ability. A deity can have this ability multiple times, choosing a metamagic feat and either a spellcasting class or spell-like abilities to which the ability will apply each time.
. . Suggested Portfolio Elements: Knowledge, magic.

Now, you already have DMM (quicken). So you don't need to take that.

So, what is the most powerful metamagic feat you can take, since spell level increase is literally no object? Note, you still need to take the feat so if it has like 6 prerequisite feats its not practical.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-03, 10:03 PM
Persistent Metamagic would be on the top of my list for sure.

Kizara
2008-05-03, 10:06 PM
Persistent Metamagic would be on the top of my list for sure.

My thoughts too. It means having to take extend spell as well, but having every spell you can cast last 24hrs is stunningly powerful.

On another note, if you had Divine Rank 1 (entitling you to 3 Salient Divine Abilities) with said cleric, what ones would you take? Note you do not have 20+ HD, so you don't qualify for some of them.

Here's a list for those without Deities and Demigods:
http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19

tyckspoon
2008-05-03, 10:19 PM
Persistent for buffing or Twin Spell for attacking stuff. Automatically make everything roll twice to save? Do automatic double damage if you happen to want to blast? Free redundancy for protection from dispelling? It's a good thing.

Kizara
2008-05-03, 10:33 PM
Persistent for buffing or Twin Spell for attacking stuff. Automatically make everything roll twice to save? Do automatic double damage if you happen to want to blast? Free redundancy for protection from dispelling? It's a good thing.

Twin Spell is a great idea too! No relivant pre-reqs, and double your spellcasting is nice. I know I could have fun with casting 4 cometfalls a round. (that spell is like ZOMG for coolness)

Xefas
2008-05-03, 11:02 PM
On another note, if you had Divine Rank 1 (entitling you to 3 Salient Divine Abilities) with said cleric, what ones would you take? Note you do not have 20+ HD, so you don't qualify for some of them.

I like Irresistible Blows and not just for the easy innuendo. If you're going for a melee Cleric, then making all your attacks Touch Attacks is just plain awesome. You'll need very little, if any, buffs focused on +attack rolls in most cases, so you can focus on increasing other things.

Also, I don't know your exact situation, but if you're expecting to face spellcasters of 20th level or more, then Increased Spell Resistance might be a good choice. You already have SR 33 simply from being Divine Rank 1, and this Divine Ability permanently raises it by 20 to an astounding 53. Anything that isn't also a deity will have to start scouring their spell books for the few spells with "Spell Resistance: No" just to have a chance at you.

GoC
2008-05-03, 11:10 PM

Here's a list for those without Deities and Demigods:
http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19
I'd go with Automatic Metamagic, Divine Spellcasting and Increased Spell Resistance.

Of course if we're going by the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#salientDivineAbilities) I'd take Alter Reality, Instant Counterspell and Automatic Metamagic.
And if I was 21st+ level I'd definitely take Divine Skill Focus(Spellcraft).

Kizara
2008-05-03, 11:34 PM
I like Irresistible Blows and not just for the easy innuendo. If you're going for a melee Cleric, then making all your attacks Touch Attacks is just plain awesome. You'll need very little, if any, buffs focused on +attack rolls in most cases, so you can focus on increasing other things.

Also, I don't know your exact situation, but if you're expecting to face spellcasters of 20th level or more, then Increased Spell Resistance might be a good choice. You already have SR 33 simply from being Divine Rank 1, and this Divine Ability permanently raises it by 20 to an astounding 53. Anything that isn't also a deity will have to start scouring their spell books for the few spells with "Spell Resistance: No" just to have a chance at you.

Great advice. The Stunning effect of Irrestiable Blows isn't anything to scoff at ethier.

As for my situation, my cleric is currently lvl 11, and will likely be nearing 17-20 area by the time she gets this. Her domains are strength, war and destiny. She will likely be LE or LN at the time (currently LE).

Here is my current short list:

Automatic Metamagic
Divine Blast
Divine Fast Healing
Improved Spell Resistance
Instant Counterspell
Irresistible Blows
Supreme Initiative

Automatic Metamagic, Improved Spell Resistance and Irresistable Blows being at the top. But the others are high too, maybe she'll be able to manage a couple more divine ranks. Actually, considering she will very likely have to kill the Divine Rank 1 BBEG, and will thus get his, that's 2 at least.