PDA

View Full Version : Help with abusing song of timelessness

jcsw
2008-05-04, 09:44 AM
So my friend challenged me to play a bard in a level 21 solo arena thing, so I was looking for something both abusable and funny and found sublime chord's(Complete Arcane) song of timelessness, assuming I can get him to fail the save, what are some things that I can abuse with 21 minutes of free time? (I can cast spells while playing, with what'sthatfeat'sname) UMD enough to use high level staffs is not out of the question. I only know of shambling mound's high con thing, but that really won't do anything.

The books allowed are:
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Sword & Fist
Unearthed Arcana
DragonLance Campaign Setting
Dragon Magic
Dragon Marked
Ebberon Campaign Setting
Frostburn
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Magic of Incarnum
Monster Manual Series
Races of... Series
Savage Species

Arbitrarity
2008-05-04, 10:58 AM
Key:
Take This Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20011207), because it is made of win. Then, you can class out of bard/sublime chord with little penalty.

Abuse Inspire courage. Grab Eberron "Song of the Heart", and BOED Words of creation, if possible. Song of the heart is +1 to all bardic music modifiers, including HD of inspire greatness. Words of creation doubles those. There's a badge somewhere, and a spell, that add 1 to inspire courage. Might get +14 to inspire courage, depending on how it's read. This should be enough to crush your foes, if you make a decent gish.

Gah, missed the books allowed. Well, I think the inspire courage boosting spell is complete adventurer, and ECS and Words of Creation are available use those, at least.

jcsw
2008-05-05, 05:04 AM
Sadly, that's not very useful to combo with Song of Timelessness, although I'd use that advice for the rest of the build, are there any creatures, etc, that can repeatedly replicate or summon throughout the 21 minutes of "Preparation Time" I have? Oozes seem usable except that they lose HP when they replicate.

Arbitrarity
2008-05-05, 07:19 AM
Right, sorry about that :smallbiggrin:.
Ok, so. If you can manage to encase your opponent in the equivalent of temporal stasis, what to do?

Well, first of all, think of it as Time Stop. Except with 210 rounds. And being unable to switch songs. Now, what to do with that...

Essentially, scroll/staff, or use spells known, to use any sort of trick which requires massive setup time. I strongly recommend Greater Dispel Magic, as it removes a lot of buffs, and you can use it multiple times. It also doesn't affect your Su song of timelessness. It does, however, destroy buffed wizards, if your CL is high enough. Specifically, I recommend you take delay spell, and use it with Greater Dispel.
Actually, if you can afford the spells known, you can do almost anything. Forcecage/Cloudkill/dimension lock, if your opponent isn't immune to poison/needs to breathe. You can't steal equipment, probably, too bad.
You could just use song of timelessness, throw out a bunch of delayed blast fireballs, and leave, but that doesn't always work (resistance/immunity to fire, high reflex saves). You'd think 100d6 would kill someone, but not always.
Delay spell is fairly important though, at least.
Summoning's short duration makes it a possible, albeit mediocre option. Of course, Planar Binding and cousins can be used beforehand, and actually allow you to get some pretty effective creatures.

For example, improvisation + your charisma modifier, with greater planar binding, vs a pit fiend, and you have a CR 20 creature with you. Not evil? Try a Planetar, the solar's little cousin. How many can you have? Well, essentially 21, if you do the same trick every day, as each casting with open ended requests can last up to one day per caster level. Ouch.

Transmute stone to lava, just encasing your enemy in 60 ft of stone and watching them suffocate... also options.
What sort of foes do you expect to be fighting? Wizards, or melee, or ranged combat characters? Your spells known should be prepared for all of them I guess... Hm.
You could just whip out some decent CL scrolls of cleric buffs, use them all, and crush your foe in melee if they're a warrior. If they're a wizard, it's a bit tougher.

Ah, here's one. Get a fully buffed up Planetar, with Divine Power (Miracle for giant size!) and the rest, and have it ready an action to smack your foe as soon as they are no longer frozen in time/when you stop performing (Also, put up a dimension lock. That way, if your foe is a wizard, they A) Can't leave B) Get owned by a solar in close combat C) Have few to no buffs remaining D) Hopefully, you got their foresight/contingency, if you have that level of cheese. You may be able to summon it while performing, with the 10 minute casting time of greater planar binding. Or just have it beforehand, depending on competition rules.
The problem with repeated summoning is, IMHO, that you're looking for something that you can get just with time, not with resources. If you're going to get creatures, you need resources, most of the time.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-05, 07:30 AM
If you can't affect them while they're in the Song, you could try Wall of (Insert Dangerous Substance Here) or the Reverse Gravity/Chromatic Orb trick. Another possibility would be to summon a Gelatinous Cube and get it to absorb them- when Timelessness nds, they're immediately absorbed and start dying horribly.

jcsw
2008-05-05, 08:02 AM
Okay I thought up something: Death by Ooze.

In the real prep rounds:
1. Animate Objects on 21 Small Daggers, Instruct them to attack "Oozes"
2-3. Permanancy Animate Objects
4. Shapeshift into a 21 HD Black Pudding
5. Get split 21 times from 21 daggerstabs
6. Shift Back (Main one only, I don't want ~22 copies of me or else he'll accuse me of stealing ideas from the Wizard's Optimization forum)
7. Play inspire courage or similar, using a Dove's Harp (Magic Item Compendium), which grants allies, ie puddings, fast healing 3, allowing them to continously replicate
8-20. Keep song up, cast various buffs. (Note puddings are still replicating from massive stabbing

Start: Song of Timelessness (Anyone know how I can bring the DC up?)
And continue replication for 21 minutes, coming up with ~4k oozes
---
1. Can anyone find any problems with this? Seems too good to be true.
2. Is there anything better than Black Puddings I can use?