PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Heavily Debated Topics

Matthew
2008-05-04, 10:03 AM
Looks like the Sage is taking these questions on and even giving reasonable answers. :smallwink:

The Book of Heavily Debated Topics (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=952297)
Sage Advice (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4mst/ask)

SamTheCleric
2008-05-04, 10:16 AM
Why are we debating large south african antelopes?

topi

noun
1. a lightweight hat worn in tropical countries for protection from the sun [syn: pith hat]
2. a large South African antelope; considered the swiftest hoofed mammal [syn: sassaby]

:smallwink:

Matthew
2008-05-04, 10:27 AM
Bah! Other people get away with typing errors... :smallbiggrin:

Okay, fixed that.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-04, 10:48 AM
I'm glad the Sage is doing that. But of course this won't stop the topics from being "heavily debated", since the counterargument to "FAQ/Sage/Custserv says so" has, for a long time, been pointing out that those sources have been wrong of self-contradictory in the past.

Renx
2008-05-04, 10:51 AM
Eh... I read a few and quickly got bored.

1) What 'extra spell'? I can't find an "extra spell" feat or ability anywhere in Complete Divine. Besides, this would be easily solved by "You can sure as heck research it and feel free to cast it when you get the prerequisite levels."

2) Nightsticks. While it might be prudent to consider it a bonus and thus capping use at 1/day, I remain dubious as IIRC the bonus is unnamed (if it's even a bonus in the first place -- you might as well say that any healing you receive is capped at the maximum someone has healed you ever, no additional healing possible)

To sum it up, the OP (of the linked thread, not this thread) seems to have a penchant for not quoting the RAW and just inserting his own beliefs on matters. While I can see that he has spent a lot of time in research (har), I don't really see the point. Oh well, maybe I'm too bored by Internet debate in general ;)

Vortling
2008-05-04, 10:53 AM
This should be both useful and interesting. Especially if he covers all the questions.

huttj509
2008-05-04, 10:59 AM
The poster in the linked post is not just giving his own opinion on those topics. He is attempting to summarize the pro and con positions as stated in the frequent debates on those topics which pop up on the wizards board. From looking through weeks ago, it seems like he did a rather good job of that.

What it does is filters out the flaming that tends to accompany those debates, thus reducing the amount of information to filter through to find out what the arguments for and against various issues are.

Note that it does not define the issue (though it tends to be clear from the pro and con), it assumes you know the issue because it's frequently debated. For example, there's no debate on if nightsticks exist. The debate is on how they work, and if they stack (the stacking is what's pro/con).

Renx
2008-05-04, 11:12 AM
You're right about needing to know the debate. My point is mainly that listing the issue better would be nice. For instance, 'extra spell' is apparently in Complete Arcane, not Complete Divine.

Also, kudos to SA for trying to answer all of that.