PDA

View Full Version : Worst Super hero movies

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 12:31 PM
Now for a while now, a lot of super hero movies have been coming out. And while know there are a few good ones out there, i know there are a lot of bad ones

So please, what ones are the worst and why do you think so?
I've heard bad things about cat women
from
EE

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-04, 12:36 PM
The Hulk was awful. Almost no plot and daft looking punching.

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 12:38 PM
The Hulk was awful. Almost no plot and daft looking punching.

More detail please? I haven't seen it, through it look awful
from
EE

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-04, 12:49 PM
That was a synopsys of 90% of the film.

I more detail

Inplausible experiment disaster -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Some plot -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> really bad cut -> Hulk captured -> Strange alternate Hulk goes crazy -> Hulk escapes -> Army bombs hulk - > bad cut -> Banner in jungle.

That was the depth of the film.

Well, I was being generous.

Tom_Violence
2008-05-04, 12:58 PM
That was a synopsys of 90% of the film.

I more detail

Inplausible experiment disaster -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Some plot -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> bad cut -> Hulk smashes stuff -> really bad cut -> Hulk captured -> Strange alternate Hulk goes crazy -> Hulk escapes -> Army bombs hulk - > bad cut -> Banner in jungle.

That was the depth of the film.

Well, I was being generous.

You left out all the bouncing. Anyway, I think I must be one of the few people that really liked the cuts and wipes in that film. Oh well.

And yes, both 'cat women' and Catwoman are truly diabolical.

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 01:08 PM
the hulk sounds awful, nicely put

Also what made catwomen so bad. I never saw it
from
EE

Irenaeus
2008-05-04, 01:17 PM
Does this thread only cover more recent movies? If not, I would like to nominate Batman & Robin in the category "Worst High-Budget Superhero Movie of All Time".

Dode
2008-05-04, 01:18 PM
1: Steel (it starred Shaq as a supergenius)
2: The Punisher (1989) (Dolph Lundgren as a retooled Punisher)
3: Catwoman (enpowering female message: makeup is bad and enslaves you in man's world)
4: Batman & Robin (one word: bat-nipples)
5: Blade 3 (An intolerable Wesley Snipes sat in his trailer high on BC bud for almost the entire filming, then was spliced in over his "stunt double" via CGI afterwards)

Dode
2008-05-04, 01:22 PM
the hulk sounds awful, nicely put

Also what made catwomen so bad. I never saw it
from
EE It's hard to put into exact words how bad Catwoman was, EE. For example, when I watched the film, it was with an acromegaly-affected friend and his obese girlfriend as a makeout film with me awkwardly sitting there. Catwoman was so bad that I was unable to even look at it while all this was going on.

It took everything even moderately interesting about Catwoman: the cool origin story, the hot-as-hell costume, the villains and danger and got rid of it. The plot was incredibly lame, the CGI was clumsy and corny as all hell, the villain sucked beyond all belief, the costume made Halle Barry look unappealing.

Remember that scene from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me", when the sassy 70s chick goes "I'M FOXY CLEOPATRA, AND I'M A WHOLLLE LOTTA WOMAN!!!!" "YAAH BABY!". Imagine a solid half-hour of that just shoved into your face relentlessly.

RTGoodman
2008-05-04, 01:27 PM
Does this thread only cover more recent movies? If not, I would like to nominate Batman & Robin in the category "Worst High-Budget Superhero Movie of All Time".

4: Batman & Robin (one word: bat-nipples)

I came here just to point that one out. Apparently I've been beaten to the punch. The batsuit-with-nipples punch.

Also, Spiderman 3. I don't know if it's as bad as some of the others that will appear here, but it ruined that whole series for me. First of all, I refuse to accept Eric Forman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333410/) as a bad guy. Secondly, the only thing the movie showed me is that when you're infected with a space-symbiote thing, you put on eyeshadow, beat your girlfriend, and walk down the street like a bad extra in "Saturday Night Fever."

Irenaeus
2008-05-04, 01:34 PM
By the way, is it possible to edit the thread title? If so, I would very much like the typo in there to be fixed. I'm not normally one to complain about such things, but this one hurts my eyes a little bit every time I browse the media forum.

Edit: Thank you :smallsmile:

Mewtarthio
2008-05-04, 01:52 PM
Spiderman 3 and Batman & Robin both earn malus points for ruining good franchises. Daredevil was also pretty bad, and I'm convinced they didn't know what they were doing when they threw in random stuff like Bullseye in the crucifix pose displaying bullet wound stigmata in a church (Seriously, what's with that? Are you saying Bullseye died for our sins? Or are you just setting him up to be revived in the sequel?).

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-04, 02:22 PM
Heck, Bullseye was the best thing about 'Daredevil.' Him and Kingpin anyway,

I had mixed feelings about 'The Fantastic 4' (first one). I liked Johnny and Ben, but Reed and Susan bit hard. Dr. Doom's portrayal personified my inner turmoil actually...he was completely different from what i was expecting and hoping, but the whole businessman-scientist idea was kind of cool.

UglyPanda
2008-05-04, 07:58 PM
Catwoman had nothing to do with the comics. It's as if they had a crappy supernatural film and changed the name at the last second so that they could have DC's support.

Fantastic Four 2 was unbelievably campy. It wasn't that bad, but it was mind-numbing to the core.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-04, 08:29 PM
I think I'm going to have to go with Superman IV on this one, no disrespect intended to Mr. Reeve's memory. It was just...bad. Preachy, badly-written, preachy, silly, boring, and preachy. I've actually never seen Superman III, but I hear it has its own issues...

Oh, and Fantastic Four 2 was amazingly mediocre. Neither good enough to be enjoyable, nor bad enough to be enjoyable. It was perfectly dull.

Tengu
2008-05-04, 08:30 PM
Maybe I'm jaded when it comes to some things, but wouldn't it be faster to list the good superhero movies?

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-04, 08:34 PM
Daredevil was also pretty bad

Totaly Seconded

comicshorse
2008-05-04, 09:03 PM
' Nick Fury: Agent of Shield'. David Hasselhoff's finest hour:smallfrown:

North
2008-05-04, 09:05 PM
I liked Daredevil. I think Ben did a pretty good job.

Worst? Catwoman. Was there anything at all good in that movie? Not even gratuitous nudity could have saved that movie.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-05, 10:14 PM
I usually have a soft spot for comic-book movie adaptations, but Fantastic Four 2 was just horrible. The only thing good was the visual effects. The acting was lame, the power switching thing was gimmickie and uninteresting, and the plot made no sense. Doctor Doom's return was dumb, because instead of being awesome like he was in the first movie, he was just a weaselly, evil smart dude who pretended to be nice and tricked the military. Johnny Storm getting all the Fantastic Four's powers at once was lame and utterly contrived.

But the WORST thing about it was how after all the whining and begging and crying about how the world was going to end, the Silver Surfer just goes and makes Galactus disappear in a puff of plot smoke. WTF? Since when could he do that? If he could take out Galactus so easily, why the heck was he afraid that his home planet would be destroyed if he ever disobeyed??

Other negative points include how Galactus never came out from behind his Fog of Mystery, and how the Fantastic Four never did anything against him themselves. Like, if it's about the Fantastic Four, shouldn't they be the ones who beat the bad guy? They should have called the movie "The Silver Surfer: Fall of the Fantastic Four (Franchise)."

SurlySeraph
2008-05-05, 10:46 PM
Spiderman 3 and Batman & Robin both earn malus points for ruining good franchises. Daredevil was also pretty bad, and I'm convinced they didn't know what they were doing when they threw in random stuff like Bullseye in the crucifix pose displaying bullet wound stigmata in a church (Seriously, what's with that? Are you saying Bullseye died for our sins? Or are you just setting him up to be revived in the sequel?).

"My hands! Ooooooh my hands! You took away my hands!"

poleboy
2008-05-06, 05:32 AM
I think the old Superman movies are pretty horrible, but maybe that's just because the SFX seem so ridiculous today. Also, they completely pass over anything that makes Superman interesting and reduce him to "The good guy who's really strong and stuff!"

I think I kind of enjoyed the Hulk movie. The comic-style clipping was pretty interesting and while Hulk looked silly, well... did he ever not look silly? I think they did the best they could with bad source material.

Daredevil has a few things going for it, mostly the fact that he's kind of a freak, but generally it was just bad.

Any super-hero movie with a female main character is apparently just bound to fail. Electra, Catwoman, Bloodrayne (not really a superhero but still crap)... the list goes on. What's next, Wonder Woman starring Jessica Simpson?

Yeah I bet you'd like that, you pervert.

Vaire
2008-05-06, 08:26 AM
You left out all the bouncing. Anyway, I think I must be one of the few people that really liked the cuts and wipes in that film. Oh well.

And yes, both 'cat women' and Catwoman are truly diabolical.

I liked the cuts and wipes, too. Actually, I very much enjoyed the Hulk. I see why people had issues with it, but I was entertained.

And to everyone who didn't like the two Fantastic Four movies, may I point out that they were infinitely more entertaining than the Fantastic Four movie made way way back when (early 90's, I think) that was never actually released. If you get your hands on a pirated copy be prepared to shudder your way through. That's what I did. I still wish I could have that hour and a half of my life back. Honestly, Daredevil was scripted better than this movie. Not much better, but better, nonetheless.

And has anyone mentioned the truly horrible Captain America movie yet?

Telonius
2008-05-06, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure if this counts as a "superhero" movie, but it's certainly up there among the worst. "Hercules in New York." It's one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's first films; he'd basically just gotten off the boat. It features Arnold playing Hercules, who (for some reason) shows up in modern-day New York City. It has the dubious distinction of having one of - if not the - most ridiculous "guy in a bear suit" fights ever captured on film. The only redeeming quality is that it's so awful it's funny.

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-06, 01:04 PM
Although I am unable to put my finger entierly on it I am not a huge fan of the X-men films, especially X-men 3 which at one point manages to have everyone save the world by saving America when the rest of the world was not in danger. I think. I has hitting the fridge logic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic) very hard by that point.

SteveMB
2008-05-06, 01:15 PM
I think the old Superman movies are pretty horrible, but maybe that's just because the SFX seem so ridiculous today. Also, they completely pass over anything that makes Superman interesting and reduce him to "The good guy who's really strong and stuff!"

I thought the first two were pretty good (the SFX are dated, but I can overlook that for a good story). The third one tried to be a comedy and failed, and the less said about the fourth the better.

ObeeKris
2008-05-06, 01:24 PM
Judge Dredd was pretty bad.

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-06, 01:29 PM

:smallmad:There Was No Judge Dredd Film. It Was Nothing More Than A Horrible Nightmare That We All Had.:smallmad: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Discontinuity/Discontinuity)

TRM
2008-05-06, 01:33 PM
Spiderman 3 and Superman Returns were both painfully bad. Spiderman 3 was filled with crappy dialogue, crappy acting, crappy action, crappy plot, crappy character development... *rants into the distance* (Like, WTF? The awkward Harry-MJ-Peter love triangle thing was already done in at least one of the earlier movies!)

Superman Returns had basically the same problems, not to mention the fact that everything about Superman is ridiculous ("thanks to my super glasses of nondetection, no-one can recognize me!")

Superhero movies I liked:
Batman Begins
X-Men (X2 and X3 were just ok)
Spiderman 1

Every other superhero movie I've seen has been crap. *sigh*

Irenaeus
2008-05-06, 01:37 PM
Judge Dredd was pretty bad.Yeah, it was. But I do not consider it a super hero movie just because it is based on a comic.

Its SciFi, or possibly Science-Fantasy.

And he took his helmet off... and he was made to seem almost sympathetic after a while. So wrong. Both so wrong.

poleboy
2008-05-06, 05:55 PM

There are much, much worse movies. Besides, any movie with Denis Leary is technically watchable. I'm a bit confused about how they got Max Von Sydow to star in it though.

warty goblin
2008-05-06, 06:25 PM
I haven't watched a large number of super hero movies simply because people in power-themed spandex generally do very little to thrill me. Thus I can only nominate the following:
1) Catwomen. Watched in on the plane back from England, which I feel should allow me to sue the airlines for some sort of human rights violations. The plot was nonsensical beyond all reason (even by super-hero standards), I mean she gets killed, and then a bunch of cats swarm around her, and then she's alive again? Seriously, this makes radioactive spiders look like a highly plausible scientific theory. On the upside her dying was one of the few bright spots of the film, but then they went and brought her back from the dead, which completely killed the feeling of almost non-misery her death brought about, and brought back thinking about how if you stabbed yourself in the eyeballs with a sharpened pretzel the pain would go away and the salt would sterilize the wounds. Also, I'm not sure how they did it, but that was the most unattractive costume of all time. One would think that you couldn't actually make somebody that almost awesomely unsexy by applying scanty amounts of black leather, but they did it.

2) Spiderman III: Was the boringness. Apparently also some sort of patriotic pr0n, that whole slow-mo shot of Spiderman standing up in front of the American flag was just a little bit much. Also the 'surprise' redemption ending was probably seen coming by aliens living in the galactic core. Blind aliens. Seriously, this twist was interesting when Charles Dickens did it in A Tale of Two Cities a hundred and fifty fracking years ago now, but the borderline character being redeemed at the last minute by getting themselves killed so they can save the hero is just a little bit old by now, or so Vorgonax the six legged protoplasmic jelly from the deep methane seas of Zeta XIVC tells me.

bongotezz
2008-05-07, 12:56 PM
' Nick Fury: Agent of Shield'. David Hasselhoff's finest hour:smallfrown:

i second the nick fury movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119781/

darkblade
2008-05-07, 04:40 PM
Why does everyone complain about Spider-Man III? The first two were just as horrid. The first one kept all the plot holes from the original comics (Why didn't the guy running the wrestling match Peter won not realize that the kid who was named Spider-Man by his anouncer guy had the same powers as the soon apearing crime-fighter of the same name?) while chaning many factors (making the web-slinging one of his natural powers so he'd leave DNA all over New York) and in no way adding anything. The second one took the already paper thin story they had before and then shot a fire hose at it not to mention the fact that Parker was in his Spider suit with no mask for half the film and apparently no one remebers what he looks like.

Your Grass
2008-05-07, 04:44 PM
i have to say that ironman was amazing...

wtf is with them making so many spiderman movies? my my... you know there is something wrong when they are putting out spiderman 4!

:smallyuk:

Jerthanis
2008-05-07, 05:45 PM
Why does everyone complain about Spider-Man III? The first two were just as horrid. The first one kept all the plot holes from the original comics (Why didn't the guy running the wrestling match Peter won not realize that the kid who was named Spider-Man by his anouncer guy had the same powers as the soon apearing crime-fighter of the same name?) while chaning many factors (making the web-slinging one of his natural powers so he'd leave DNA all over New York) and in no way adding anything. The second one took the already paper thin story they had before and then shot a fire hose at it not to mention the fact that Parker was in his Spider suit with no mask for half the film and apparently no one remebers what he looks like.

The difference I felt between Spider-Man 3 and the previous two, was that the flaws of the other two were in the details; The slipups of allowing his face to be seen so often, making the webshooters organic for arbitrary reasons, the stupid Green Goblin costume... there were plenty of details making the movies bad, but at their core there was a really thematic story. They weren't perfect movies, but what is? Spider-Man 3 by contrast, got neither details, nor core story correct. It wasted time all over the place, but still tried to cram in three villains, a love triangle, Peter being a douchebag, two rivalries, themes of revenge and forgiveness and none of it really fit together. Where the first was about a boy learning to take responsibility, and move on from guilt, and the second was about a man learning to let go of the dreams of his childhood to accept the reality around him, and do his best with what he had... the third was about... well... "Don't be a douchebag?" maybe? It just felt like it wasn't about anything in particular.

While there may be flaws with Spider-Man 1 and 2, at least they had scenes like Peter's admission of guilt about his Uncle to his Aunt, and Aunt May's "There's a hero in all of us..." speech, even if we also had, "If the AI of those evil robot arms is as advanced as you suggest, couldn't they make you evil too?" "How right you are! Luckily, I placed a fragile plot wafer in a spot that totally could never be destroyed, preventing the complete takeover of my brain by the evil AI of my robot arms." "Why did you need to make the robot arms evil anyway?" "Shut up, you, who's the scientist here?" "Also, couldn't you just use a long stick instead of evil robot arms? Aren't you just using it to poke at the tiny sun?" "What did I say about shutting up?" "Also, why are we testing this in your apartment, couldn't you put it in a proper lab with some actual safety equipment?" "LALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Like I said, while the details of 1 and 2 made for terrible movies, they made up for them with the central story they were telling. With 3, I can't defend any part of it in any way.

Tirian
2008-05-07, 07:54 PM
I am relieved at the people who put down Superman III and IV, because they obviously have been shielded from the worst movie in that franchise: Supergirl. Yikes.

As has been said before, it is easier to list the good comic-inspired movies than to argue over which of the large remainder is actually the worst.

TheEmerged
2008-05-07, 10:01 PM
I can't believe we got to the second page before someone mentioned Supergirl.

And that I'm the one that has to mention the pure, unmitigated horror that was... Puma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma_Man) Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081693/)!

(I actually have a fond memory of it, since the first time I saw it was as a kid staying up late with my dad watching this goofy excuse for a movie after he got home from work one morning).

X-Men 3 failed because they let their MESSAGE! get in the way HEY! ARE YOU LISTENING! of the plot MESSAGE! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING IMPORTANT HERE! and the characters THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT! as established. They also took what in my opinion was the weakest characterization of the first two movies ("Oscar Winner" Halle Berry as Storm) and tried to make her believable as the leader of the team.

Spiderman 3 wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be. I won't go so far as to say that's a couple of hours of my life I want back (reference: X-Men 3, Hulk, Daredevil, Superman 3 & 4, the four "Burton Era" Batman movies) but it's not something I ever want to see again in my life.

The Hulk? I actually liked some of the cuts & such. It was the horrible characters I couldn't stand. There wasn't a sympathetic character anywhere in the movie after Lou & Stan's cameo...

Stycotl
2008-05-07, 10:45 PM
spiderman 3 was definitely a couple of hours of my life that i want back. they screwed everything up royally--not just 'aww, why'd they take out tom bombadill?, but 'aww, why'd they take out everything that could have made it passable, and fill it with curdling, emo stupidity?

that kind of bad.

ManBearPig
2008-05-07, 11:07 PM
Although all the movies listed so far are pretty horrible, no "Worst Super Hero Movie" list would be complete without Generation X (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116401/). I'm pretty sure that this was a made-for-TV movie... but even still, it was still pretty horrible. The main villain was just a ripoff of the Riddler from Batman Forever (which was released only a year before) and the acting/writing was just so... blah and predictable. I only watched it all the way through because Jeremy Ratchford was hot. >_>

FoE
2008-05-07, 11:12 PM
No, no, no ... your taste in movies sucks, people. SUCKS! I can't believe that we're talking about the Spider-Man trilogy as being "the worst superhero movies." OBJECTION!

Anyways, the Spider-Man trilogy shouldn't even be in this discussion, no matter if a few of you disliked them. Maybe it just wasn't the superhero movie YOU wanted to see. But you can't dismiss something as without merit because it doesn't appeal to you personally. I'm not crazy about Spider-Man 3 myself, but I didn't go out of the theatre moaning "Worst movie ever," 'cause it's not. Not by a long shot.

You can't even include movies like X-Men 3, The Hulk or Daredevil in this discussion, 'cause they weren't excrutiatingly painful to watch. They made mistakes, that's to be sure. A lot of them. But they weren't excrutiatingly painful to watch. You may not have liked those movies, but you can't say you didn't feel traumatized at the end.

No, my friends, when we're talking about the WORST superhero movies, in existence, we have to talk about the trash that NOBODY likes (or at least, that very few people did, and they're mostly crazy). The ones where they got it so unbelievably wrong that you have to wonder "Good God, what were these people on?" and consider tearing out your own eyeballs to find relief.

Here are the five worst offenders, in my opinion:

1) Catwoman. TERRIBLE. A travesty of filmmaking. Lousy acting, lousy story, lousy everything.
2) Batman and Robin. It's actually offensive to the eyes. What genius thought that "campy" was the way to go? Joel Schumacher is history's greatest monster, indeed.
3) Superman 4. Have you ever watched this hunk of junk? Lamest villain ever. You cannot diss Superman Returns until you have watched this crap.
4) Punisher, the one with Dolph Lundgren. Mobsters versus ninjas, and ... the Punisher is in the middle, and .... GAH! This **** makes no sense!
5) Supergirl. And let us never speak of it again.

Phantasm
2008-05-08, 12:11 AM
Think most folks can agree on Batman & robin, Superman IV, and Catwoman. Think ill add the Captain America movies (to this point) to the list. There was a late 70s/early 80s made-for-TV movie, and that abomination that came out in '90. Far worse aberration and crime against Superhero movies than Lundgren's Punisher. (i mean hell, at least its amusing to watch it for the amount of violence and killings and blowing up of things)

Yeah, definitely supergirl. i still throw up in my mouth a little when i think about that one.

poleboy
2008-05-08, 02:23 AM
the four "Burton Era" Batman movies

HERESY!

...seriously though, I think there is a world of difference between Burton's Batman movies and the disgusting filth that followed them. I dare you to find a better Penguin than DeVito or a better Joker than Nicholson!

Vaire
2008-05-08, 08:16 AM
HERESY!

...seriously though, I think there is a world of difference between Burton's Batman movies and the disgusting filth that followed them. I dare you to find a better Penguin than DeVito or a better Joker than Nicholson!

I don't know, I always kind of liked Ceasar Romero as the Joker.

Athaniar
2008-05-08, 10:35 AM
First of all: Superhero film do not have to be precise copies of the comics!

I actually liked the Catwoman film. And I think Halle Berry do look hot in that suit. Meow.

I have no problem with the Spider-Man films, not even the third.

About the X-Men films, I wish there had only been the first. The second wasn't good, and the third... not, not that one either.

Why did they kill everyone? You can't just kill Cyclops like that! And what about the Sentinels? Just one of them in the Danger Room simulation? Preposterous!

Irenaeus
2008-05-08, 12:30 PM
Why did they kill everyone? You can't just kill Cyclops like that! And what about the Sentinels? Just one of them in the Danger Room simulation? Preposterous!Apparently, the third X-men was so bad I can't remember who died.

I agree completely about the fact that an adaptation of a comic should be allowed to deviate from it's source material, but surprisingly often they only replace stuff (good or bad) with crap.

TheEmerged
2008-05-08, 05:04 PM
HERESY!

You're welcome to your opinion. Mine happens to be that both of them stunk in those roles (although that was probably more the writing than the actors). The actors from the Adam West series were much better, in my opinion. I'd put both Batman Beyond: Joker Returns and Batman: Mask of the Phantom well above the Burton Era movies.

Tirian
2008-05-08, 05:47 PM
I'd put both Batman Beyond: Joker Returns and Batman: Mask of the Phantom well above the Burton Era movies.

I doubt you'll get very much of an argument there, but Dini > Burton does not mean Burton = bad, and absolutely not that Batman (1989) should be mentioned in a thread of worst superhero movies ever. I have a lot of sympathy for Tim Burton's tightrope of the grimness of post-Crisis comic book Batman on one side and the rabble's perception that Batman is the supercop gay blade from Superfriends and Adam West's portrayal. The animated series never would have gotten off the ground if it hadn't been for Burton teaching the public that Batman and his Rouge's Gallery are very complex characters.

I think he did an outstanding job on the first movie, and specifically I would put Michael Keaton's portrayal of Bruce Wayne even over Kevin Conroy's. I think Burton lost his way on the second movie and turned half of it into Edward Flipperhands, but that was just unfortunate and not the criminal act that Batman and Robin turned out to be.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-08, 06:09 PM
Spiderman 3, X3 and The Fantastic 4 movies.

Jack Squat
2008-05-08, 06:21 PM
Samson Vs. The Vampire Women. No, Samson (or El Santo in the original spanish version) is not a comic book hero that I'm aware of. Regardless, he still runs around in a mask, cape, and spandex. It made it onto MST3K, and there's no way I would have sat through it otherwise. Not saying I didn't like the MST3K version, but I could tell the original movie was complete crap.

I'll add my vote to The Hulk and Daredevil. Also, why hasn't Elektra made the list yet?

I quite liked Burton's Batman, and I'm not really a big fan of Burton's work...only other movie I've watched of his that I liked was Beetlejuice. This may just be because I like Keaton.

Ravengyre
2008-05-09, 12:09 AM
Have to add Masters of the Universe (Dolf), The Phantom (Billy Zane), and The Shadow (Baldwin). There have been a lot more bad super hero movies than good ones. *le sigh*

Serpentine
2008-05-09, 01:14 AM
Highlander counts as a superhero movie, right?

FoE
2008-05-09, 01:39 AM
Highlander counts as a superhero movie, right?

No, that's more of an urban fantasy film (or science fiction, if you go by the atrocious sequel). Though if you're going to mention Highlander II or III as terrible movies, you would be right in that regard.

poleboy
2008-05-09, 02:29 AM
The actors from the Adam West series were much better, in my opinion.

I don't believe you mean that even for a second. I remember watching the Adam West series when I was a kid, and even back then I felt that something was just... wrong. It was Batman, but why was it lame? :smalleek:

I'd put both Batman Beyond: Joker Returns and Batman: Mask of the Phantom well above the Burton Era movies.

It's animation. And while I do hold that animated movies are art in exactly the same way that traditional movies are, I hardly think it's fair to compare them. Animated movies have the freedom of being able to spend much more time working out the story and adjusting the plot, because you don't have to deal with actors, SFX, getting a huge crew together for every scene... there is a lot less room for changes or doing things over with a "real" movie.

darkblade
2008-05-09, 07:01 AM
It's animation. And while I do hold that animated movies are art in exactly the same way that traditional movies are, I hardly think it's fair to compare them. Animated movies have the freedom of being able to spend much more time working out the story and adjusting the plot, because you don't have to deal with actors, SFX, getting a huge crew together for every scene... there is a lot less room for changes or doing things over with a "real" movie.

Yes but you do have to draw thousands of pictures for a few seconds which is time consuming so they wouldn't have that much more time for writing.

Tamburlaine
2008-05-09, 07:40 AM
Have to add Masters of the Universe (Dolf), The Phantom (Billy Zane), and The Shadow (Baldwin). There have been a lot more bad super hero movies than good ones. *le sigh*

I'm afraid I have to disagree there, mainly because The Shadow wasn't a super hero; he was a pulp hero, and also it was a damn good movie. Plus, the Phantom was fairly enjoyable in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. On the other hand, I can only imagine Masters of the universe to have been awful.

blackspeeker
2008-05-30, 04:18 PM
I'm just going to reiterate a few things, Spiderman 1 (didn't see the third thankfully), X-men 1 and 3, Batman and Robin and Batman Forever (Two Face was handled terribly, and Jim Carrey played The Riddler far too zanily but no one ever agrees with me), both fantastic fours (although I liked Mcmahon's Dr Doom, but I like him in anything) and I'm going to find a way to kill my room mate for making me watch the silver surfer movie.

I'm crossing my fingers this new hulk movie wont be added to my list.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-30, 04:58 PM
All of the Spiderman movies were garbage, Catwoman was awful

i liked the punisher, it wasnt violent enough but oh well, people'd have complained if it had been to.

pendell
2008-05-30, 05:12 PM
Okay, I've gotta ask.

What was so bad about Supergirl? I was 13 when it came out, and for the life of me I can't remember the movie at all. I remember about 15 seconds of trailer footage where the villain is blasting supergirl with a ring ... a few seconds of footage of the villain before she got her powerup toy

... OVER NINE THOUSAND! ...

but so help me, nothing else.

So to my mind it was definitely a forgettable movie, since I forgot it.

But what makes it one of the all time WORST movies? Worse than Superman IV: The Quest For Ideology? Worse than the Street Fighter movie?

I'm not saying it's a good movie. But it wasn't one of the WORST EVAH. That sort of thing requires severe pain and suffering that rapes your childhood. And it didn't have that affect on me. I just completely forgot it. Mediocre, maybe.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-30, 06:20 PM
I hate that 9000 bit...so overdone...anywho...

I'm surprised by the hate for the more recent movies lately. Sure, Spiderman 3 and X-men 3 weren't so good (damn it, I wanted SENTINELS!) but they were hardly the worst super hero movies ever.

Okay, now this thread has got me thinking up redeeming qualities for these things...

Spiderman 3: Jameson. Aunt May. Super villain team up. Seething vengeance (in the beginning.)

Superman Returns: Lex Luthor (WRONG!) proving that the mortal man can take on the Man of Steel.

Fantastic 4: Johnny, Ben, and Doc Doom saved the film on their own.

Daredevil: Likewise for Bullseye and Wilson Fisk.

The Hulk (whichever one came out first): Just seeing Hulk smashing stuff in 3-D made up for the rest of it!

X-Men 3: Come on, sure they skipped half the stuff in the comic but am I the ONLY one who liked (most) of the plot?

SilverClawShift
2008-05-30, 07:29 PM
Have to add ... The Shadow (Baldwin).

No no no nonononononononononnonononononononononononono NO

The shadow is not epic cinema, but it's a great alt-reality time piece movie with a cast that all pulled off their roles perfectly and contained a ton of memorable scenes and imagery. And some great quotes.

Margo Lane: Oh, God I dreamed.
Lamont Cranston: So did I. What did you dream?
Margo Lane: I was lying naked on a beach in the South Seas. The tide was coming up to my toes. The sun was beating down. My skin hot and cool at the same time. It was wonderful. What was yours?
Lamont Cranston: I dreamed I tore all the skin off my face and was somebody else underneath.
Margo Lane: You have problems.
Lamont Cranston: I'm aware of that.
Margo Lane: We need each other.
Lamont Cranston: No we don't.
Margo Lane: We have a connection.
Lamont Cranston: No we don't.
Margo Lane: Then how can you explain that I can read your thoughts?
Lamont Cranston: My thoughts are hard to miss.
Margo Lane: And why is that?
Lamont Cranston: Psychically, I'm very well endowed.
Margo Lane: I'll bet you are.

And let's not forget... "It's all falling into place now." *THUD*

Good movie. Not GREAT movie, but GOOD movie.

Tirian
2008-05-30, 09:02 PM
Okay, I've gotta ask.

What was so bad about Supergirl?
[...]

I'm not saying it's a good movie. But it wasn't one of the WORST EVAH. That sort of thing requires severe pain and suffering that rapes your childhood. And it didn't have that affect on me. I just completely forgot it. Mediocre, maybe.

You have been given a great gift. Trust me, if any of us could trade our memories of Supergirl for your blissful ignorance of it, we would.

You almost sound like you want to remember it. For the love of all that is beautiful in this world, stop!

Shadow of the Sun
2008-05-31, 06:39 AM
Ahem.

Constantine.

Captain America.

That is all.

Emperor Ing
2008-05-31, 07:55 AM
i'll admit, i'm not a seasoned moviegoer, but here's my picks

Batman Begins
Spiderman 2
Spiderman 3

Sorry, havent seen 1

2xSlick
2008-05-31, 05:35 PM
Why the hate for Superman 3? Sure it's not as good as the first two but it is full of great bits. There's the opening Buster Keaton/Final Destination disaster, Richard Pryor skiing, Superman becoming an alcoholic, the bad ass Clark Kent VS Superman battle, a missile defense system built out of an arcade machine, and an evil computer that eats people. This movie is leagues better than the goofy 4th one and boring fifth one.

TheEmerged
2008-05-31, 07:05 PM
I don't believe you mean that even for a second. I remember watching the Adam West series when I was a kid, and even back then I felt that something was just... wrong. It was Batman, but why was it lame? :smalleek:

I'm being absolutely serious, and I've said it for years not mere seconds. The Adam West Batman movies succeeded at being what they were trying to be -- a campy comedy. In my opinion, the same cannot be said about the Burton Era Batman films. I accept that it is not a majority opinion.

Why the hate for Superman 3? Sure it's not as good as the first two but it is full of great bits. There's the opening Buster Keaton/Final Destination disaster, Richard Pryor skiing, Superman becoming an alcoholic, the bad ass Clark Kent VS Superman battle, a missile defense system built out of an arcade machine, and an evil computer that eats people. This movie is leagues better than the goofy 4th one and boring fifth one.

Speaking only for myself, the fact that it wasn't a Superman movie (I have the same complaint about the recent "Transformers" movie, for the record). It was a Richard Pryor vehicle guest starring some guy in tights.

CharlieSmiles
2008-06-01, 07:33 PM
Why has no one mentioned Spawn yet. At the beginning when he dies and goes to hell, the devil says he must be his general. If he fails him he threatens that he will die. Thats the worst punishment the devil can come up with in hell?

Dryken
2008-06-01, 09:56 PM
I'm currently watching the Captain America movie right now and whooWEE is it a stinker...

Hawriel
2008-06-02, 01:13 AM
there is more than one captain america movie. No one remembers Captain America and the Nutron Bomb? The three origional Hulk TV movies. One Hulk movie had Thor the other had Dardevil, in black. The last one killed Hulk.

turkishproverb
2008-06-02, 02:28 AM
there is more than one captain america movie. No one remembers Captain America and the Nutron Bomb? The three origional Hulk TV movies. One Hulk movie had Thor the other had Dardevil, in black. The last one killed Hulk.

The last one was pretty good on that level, as it was supposed to end the saga of TV Hulk. You know, the one that started in the (vastly undervalued) TV show starring Bill Bixby? Yea.

That movie was decent, though the other two were pretty crappy, if only because of the badly done Thor and Daredevil's.

Athaniar
2008-06-03, 03:50 PM
I have to say (yes, again) that I didn't find any fault with Catwoman. Then again, I never read the comics either.

mentatzarkon
2008-06-03, 04:39 PM
I confess that I actually liked the Hulk movie, even if Banner was too wangsty by a factor of about 1000 and then storyboarding was downright awful.
Now the Spawn movie on the other hand, I haven't seen the Captain America movie, but I think it deserves the title of worst super hero movie evar. Besides the plot being totally ludicrous (whatever it's a comic book movie) it was boring! IMO that's the cardinal sin of action movie making: boring the audience.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-04, 11:35 PM
Ahem.

Constantine.

Captain America.

That is all.

But... but... cross-shaped holy grenade launchers!

turkishproverb
2008-06-05, 01:45 AM
But... but... cross-shaped holy grenade launchers!

Ripped off from Trigun.

There, I said it.

doliest
2008-06-05, 01:54 AM
Ghost Rider......mother F***'in Ghost Rider.

It is the first movie that I couldn't sit through with MST3K'ing, and that's saying something considering it took me 3 consecutive watches before I was MST3K'ing POLAR EXPRESS, and I hated that movie from the first watch.

Some bad things about Ghost Rider(I'm trying to forget it so I might not be completely accurate)-
*The fight scenes are some of the most BORING things I've seen...I mean they lasted all of 5 seconds?
*Came before a lot of Marvel A-Listers- We had to wait 4 years for iron man & don't have quite a few other A-listers yet.
*The plot-Paper Thin.

VanBuren
2008-06-08, 07:10 PM
I'm just gonna go over the ones mentioned already.

Worst ones:
1. Supergirl
2. Catwoman
3. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
4. Batman & Robin
5. The Punisher (1989 version)
6. Judge Dredd
7. Steel
8. Masters of the Universe (1987)

These were the worst offenders.

Still pretty bad:
1. Superman III
2. The Fantastic 4
3. Blade: Trinity
4. The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
5. Daredevil
6. X-Men: The Last Stand
7. Batman Forever
8. The Phantom
9. The Shadow
10. The Punisher
11. Constantine
12. Captain America (1992)
13. Spawn
14. Ghost Rider

Most of the rest of them are more mediocre than bad. And some of them are pretty good. No offense, but some of you have very bad taste IMO.

Oh, and to the person who hated Superman Returns and X2: You're crazy. Undeniably crazy. Same with the guy who didn't like Batman Returns.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-08, 10:37 PM
Ripped off from Trigun.

There, I said it.

Admittedly. But anyone who imitates Nicholas D. Wolfwood is a good man in my book. :smalltongue:

I admit that Constantine sucked, though. There was too little action and the action that was present was weak. And the plot was one continuous wallbanger. Why did Gabriel let Constantine be where he could interfere with Mammon's birth? Screw that, why is an archangel, not just any archangel but God's personal messenger, who would likely have the closest relationship with the almighty of any archangel, disobeying orders and trying to get Mammon the Antichrist born to end the world? Screw that, why the hell didn't they do ten seconds of research to see that Mammon is the demon of greed, not the Antichrist? And what about that scene where Constantine threatens to send the demon to heaven as punishment? So you can get a freaking DEMON into heaven just by giving it the last rites? And they claim this world is supposed to operate according to Catholic doctrine? And Lucifer cures lung cancer? And... and... *runs out of breath*

Dode
2008-06-12, 06:55 AM

I dunno, Judge Dredd was pretty sweet for what it was; a Stallone flick with giant arm-ripping robots, futureguns and inbred cannibals and LAAAAAAWWWWWHHH and- and- well no I can't justify Gilbert Godfried. Still better then Superman Returns though.

Dode
2008-06-12, 08:02 AM
Admittedly. But anyone who imitates Nicholas D. Wolfwood is a good man in my book. :smalltongue:

I admit that Constantine sucked, though. There was too little action and the action that was present was weak. And the plot was one continuous wallbanger. Why did Gabriel let Constantine be where he could interfere with Mammon's birth? Screw that, why is an archangel, not just any archangel but God's personal messenger, who would likely have the closest relationship with the almighty of any archangel, disobeying orders and trying to get Mammon the Antichrist born to end the world? Screw that, why the hell didn't they do ten seconds of research to see that Mammon is the demon of greed, not the Antichrist? And what about that scene where Constantine threatens to send the demon to heaven as punishment? So you can get a freaking DEMON into heaven just by giving it the last rites? And they claim this world is supposed to operate according to Catholic doctrine? And Lucifer cures lung cancer? And... and... *runs out of breath*

The problem with Constantine, and also that Punisher flick with Thomas Jane, is that the guys who wrote the screenplay apparently sat down with a full run of the properties' comics and then just pick and chose various "key moments" of that character in the movie and then mashed them all together into one big movie. Now I can understand this to a degree, imo a single comic story-arc usually doesn't have enough substance by itself to make a self-contained feature length movie out of it. That isn't a knock at comic books, I'm just being honest when I say that a 2-part comic story might not make a good movie by itself, and a lot of the best comic-to-movie villains have had several stories or sheer decades of characterization and "moments" to select from and condense into a single movie. It's the screenwriters' job to take these moments and make them mesh cohesively into a good story.

Take Iron Man and his movie for example; he's an awesome character with tons of potential, but the first two decades of foils like "Crimson Dynamo", "Cobalt Man", "The Melter" and the Unicorn (even the Mandarin to an extent) were so irrelevant to the core aspect of the character and what he's about that the movie just went straight from Origin to Armor Wars (the comic published 20 years after Iron Man came out). But it did it well and picked agreeable material.

in general Iron Man doesn't have many quality recurring villains spoilers why:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/ColonelGreen/IronMan4.jpg

Constantine had the elements of several classic Constantine stories by great writers (Moore, Ennis), but it handled it with the subtlety of just mushing them together into a blender while utterly rewriting the protagonist's character and motivations while expecting it to be plausible that his actions would remain unchanged. Mammon-Snob-Nergal-<s>Satan</s>Lucifer-lung cancer stories all crammed into each other like in an elvator with a much less compelling 'hero' at the helm.

Punisher suffered even worse, one because Travolta was in it, but also because the writers tried to cram the ultraserious 90s Punisher: Year One with the ultrawacky Ennis Punisher maxiseries and as a result got a not very ultra-anything, grim n' goofy result.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-12, 08:31 AM
I'm going to nominate 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. Because they brutally violated one of the greatest modern comics and made it turd.

Talya
2008-06-12, 08:52 AM
My ratings on Superhero movies I've seen:

Superman - 4/10. Lex done for comic relief doesn't work. Margot Kidder sucked.
Superman II - 5/10. At least the villains were scary. Otherwise, same as the first.
Superman III-IV - 0/10. Utter garbage.

Batman (Tim Burton) - 6/10. Decent, but too slapstick.
Batman II (Tim Burton) - 5/10. Starts off not bad, but falls to crap when penguins start marching with rocket launchers.
Batman III-IV - 1/10. Abysmal.

X-Men: 7/10. Decent, fun movie, relatively true to the characters it portrayed.
X-Men II: 7/10. Same as the first.
X-Men III: 4/10. Losing Brian Singer killed this franchise. The third movie just ignored the characterization it had already portrayed right in the first two.

Spiderman: 7/10. Excellent screenplay and effects. Casting wasn't great. Don't get me wrong, Tobey McGuire is good, but he's not Peter Parker.
Spiderman II: 6/10. What's with the sympathetic and insane version of Doc Ock? Molina did a good job though. Same problems as the first.
Spiderman III: 5/10. Okay, emo-spidey has to go. Eddie Brock/venom was awful too. Come to think of it, Sandman was the only guy in this movie I liked.

The Hulk (Eric Bana): 3/10. Horribly bad. Nice action, though.

Daredevil: 5/10. Not as bad as people say, but not really that entertaining.
Elektra: 2/10. WTF was that????

Fantastic 4: 6/10. Campy, silly. Almost fun.
Fantastic 4 II-rise of the silver surfer: 4/10. Campier, sillier, not almost fun.

Batman Begins: 9/10. Amazing.

Superman Returns: 7/10. Only decent superman movie to date.

Blade franchise: blah. I won't even rate them, not my thing. I know what they were doing, and I don't care for the style of movie. It wouldn't be fair.

Ironman: 10/10. Best. Comicbook. Superhero. Movie. Ever.

Off the wall:
The Incredibles - 10/10. Pixar rocks. Not comic based, but nicely parodies every superhero/spy story ever made, with a serious moral to boot.
Unbreakable - 8/10. I'm not an M. Knight Shamayalan fan, but this was the neatest "realistic" superhero movie ever.

Pyron
2008-06-12, 08:29 PM
One of the worst super-hero movies I want to add to the pile is going to have to be: The Amazing Spider Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075671/).

I remember seeing this in the TV Listing, and I was partially excited. I was looking forward to seeing a live-action version (and this was way before all the recent one). But, oh man! This one was just aweful! The plot is mind-numbing: Spiderman tries to stop a small brain-washing cult, and the climatic battle was him versus three guys wielding sticks. I even remember a sequel where he's trying to stop some college students from building a nuclear bomb... I also remember reaching for the remote.

I just can't enjoy a super hero adaptation that doesn't bother to use a decent villain.