PDA

View Full Version : Anime Reccomendations

Gallanoth
2008-05-04, 02:31 PM
I recently took up watching anime and was wondering which ones everyone else likes to watch. So far I've seen Bleach, Death Note, and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Any others that anyone wants to reccomend for everyone's enjoyment?

Fri
2008-05-04, 02:59 PM
...Deja Vu.

Obligatory question: what do you want to watch? Comedy? Thriller? Giant robot smacking each other?

But the first recomendation is always.

Cowboy Bebop. It's about bounty hunters in space, nuff said.

Someone said in the previous thread, In some place you're not considered fully sentient if you haven't watched cowboy beebop.

There's some other thread about anime here, and by reading that, you'd get fairly good recommendation.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is this board's favourite anime. How to describe it.. eh... metaphysical school comedy.
There's a thread about Full Metal Alchemist. An adventure anime set in a world-war 1 like set piece, but with functional magic (the so called alchemy), and steampunkish element.
And there's also a thread about Code Geass. That's Death Note with Giant Robot, no other explanation needed.

I like a LOT of anime, but I don't know what you'd like. Those are just example because they have their own thread.

What's kind of anime do you like? For example, I enjoy Bee Train's Girl with Gun trilogy, but the slooooow pacing bored a lot of people, for those people no amount of Kaijura Yuuki's gorgeous music can save it. But since I enjoy slow paced anime, I like those.

Or, do you want to try to watch, anime movie? Like those studio ghibli's movies?

I guess I'll see what other recommend first,

TSGames
2008-05-04, 03:54 PM
But the first recomendation is always.

Cowboy Bebop. It's about bounty hunters in space, nuff said.

Someone said in the previous thread, In some place you're not considered fully sentient if you haven't watched cowboy beebop.

Seconded as hard as possible.

So you've seen bleach and death note? Hmm.... I might recommend these:
-Code Geass=Also has a magnificent bastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard) as a main character. It's a fairly easy to enjoy action anime with some robots, rebellion, tragedy, and little romance on the side.

-Trigun=Overall, it's just a good series, I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of it

-Outlaw Star=similar in setting to cowboy bebop, but very very different. It's a pretty good anime. The ending sucked, but it had good enough action, suspense, and comedy to make it worth watching.

-Afro Samurai=badass

-Fullmetal Alchemist=A decent series, had some pretty darn good fights, plot twists, and a few really awesome badies.

That's about all I can recommend off-hand(unless you want me to recommend movies too). Overall though:watch Cowboy Bebop. It's a very good anime, and even the movie was good.

Drascin
2008-05-04, 04:11 PM
...Didn't we have this thread with this exact same name two weeks ago?

Anyway, yeah, it depends a lot on your preferred genres. Anime covers a lot of stuff, so if you don't narrow it down a bit more, it's going to be hard recommending stuff. You like slapstick everyday comedy? Wangsty drama? Hotblooded action? Romance? Absurdity? Adventure?

I mean, I can give you a dozen titles right off the bat, but those would be stuff I liked, and therefore not really that useful as recommendations unless you and I happen to be significantly similar (which, for your sake, I hope we're not :smalltongue:).

Blayze
2008-05-04, 05:18 PM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's for everyone except people who hate fun.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-04, 05:30 PM
See sig (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since I just realized the show name isn't in the banner). Only other show I can recommend pretty much unconditionally is Cowboy Bebop, if you don't give a stated genre/theme preference. And maybe Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, but just remember...it's supposed to be that ridiculous.

Tengu
2008-05-04, 05:31 PM
FLCL - brain-twisting, chockfull of innuendo mind screw on acid fun for everyone! And it's only six episodes.

Also, Evangelion. Might not suit everyone's tastes (mecha + weird and philosophical things, the main character is purposely a complete wuss, you can feel the creator showing middle finger into your direction at times) but it's such a classic you have to see it.

From stuff already mentioned, I have to second FMA, TTGL, Suzuhara and Bebop (EDIT: And Trigun.). They're all awesome, even if you've seen little or no anime.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-04, 05:35 PM
Also, Evangelion. Might not suit everyone's tastes (mecha + weird and philosophical things, the main character is purposely a complete wuss, you can feel the creator showing middle finger into your direction at times) but it's such a classic you have to see it.Eh. It's not for everyone, and it's overhyped. If you're not fond of tragic mindscrew (I am, personally, in a masochistic way), you can get away with reading Wikipedia and watching Neon Genesis Evangelion the Abridged Series (http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/episodes/853462/).

No one's going to get that joke unless they've watched Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/episodes/), which technically counts as anime, so I'm going to recommend it.

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 05:39 PM
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is this board's favourite anime. How to describe it.. eh... metaphysical school comedy.
There's a thread about Full Metal Alchemist. An adventure anime set in a world-war 1 like set piece, but with functional magic (the so called alchemy), and steampunkish element.
Basically, Haruhi is such a good show that even i like it, which is saying something

FMA is most likely the best Anime out there, realistic as far as animes good, consistent, good plot and great magic system

The abriged series is amazing
from
EE

Haruki-kun
2008-05-04, 05:45 PM
My list:

-FullMetal Alchemist: Awesome fights and plot twists, really good storyline and character development one of the best I've seen.

-Zero no Tsukaima: Romantic Comedy. Some elements remind of Harry Potter in the first episode, but from there on you realize that the plots are completely different. Really good development and storyline, charming characters.

-xxxHOLiC: Creepy. Scary. Concept of the inevitable (Hitsuzen) and Destiny are taken to the highest level in this one. CLAMP outdid themselves, with this one, methinks.

-Azumanga Daioh: Light-Hearted Comedy about a group of girls gong through High School, guaranteed to make you laugh. Although the main characters are mostly girls, with only one (really creepy) male character, the Animé in itself is not very girly. More like... for everyone.

-Higurashi no naku koro ni: Mystery/Suspense psychological thriller following the events in a small town in Japan, June 1983. Follows the events several times from different points of view in order to fully explain the story.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-05-04, 06:44 PM
-Higurashi no naku koro ni: Mystery/Suspense psychological thriller following the events in a small town in Japan, June 1983. Follows the events several times from different points of view in order to fully explain the story.

Actually, only 1 of the arcs is from a differant point of view.

The others are differant versions of a cyclic universe. Actually even the sole arc that views events from a differant point of view is its own universe, it's just 90% identical to an earlier universe.

Though I guess the second half of the story does change the point of view, the events are too differant for them to be the same story.

feghoot
2008-05-04, 07:22 PM
Last Exile is OK, it's really differant from any other anime I've seen.

DBZ is fun to watch with your friends.

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 07:25 PM
Last Exile is OK, it's really differant from any other anime I've seen.

DBZ is fun to watch with your friends.

never heard of the first one, what is it about?
from
EE

Tengu
2008-05-04, 07:26 PM
Eh. It's not for everyone, and it's overhyped. If you're not fond of tragic mindscrew (I am, personally, in a masochistic way), you can get away with reading Wikipedia and watching Neon Genesis Evangelion the Abridged Series (http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/episodes/853462/).

Damnit, once again someone living overseas stole my idea. I emit telepathic waves unconsciously that some people then receive and take the thoughts as their own, I tell ya. Ah well, time for plan B - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu The Abridged Series!

feghoot
2008-05-04, 08:01 PM
never heard of the first one, what is it about?

Last Exile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Exile) is basically a story about two "vanship" pilots and a littie girl with mysterious powers. There's much more to the plot than that, but you get the idea.

When I said that it was really different from any other anime that I'd seen, I failed to point out that I don't watch much anime. Perhaps higher praise would be to say that it has an excellent mix of computer graphics and animation

tyckspoon
2008-05-04, 08:01 PM
Ah well, time for plan B - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu The Abridged Series!

Seems rather redundant given the source material.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-04, 08:14 PM
Damnit, once again someone living overseas stole my idea. I emit telepathic waves unconsciously that some people then receive and take the thoughts as their own, I tell ya. Ah well, time for plan B - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu The Abridged Series!What's the point of abridging a 14 episode show? Actually, I'd ask what the point of abridging a 26 episode show was in the case of Eva, but I'm pretty sure LK could pull it off.

Tengu
2008-05-04, 08:21 PM
Everything can be abridged. Even FLCL, which has only 6 episodes. You can abridge even a post on a fo-

EvilElitest
2008-05-04, 10:23 PM
Everything can be abridged. Even FLCL, which has only 6 episodes. You can abridge even a post on a fo-

I saw FMA the Abridged series. It was truly awful
from
EE

Gallanoth
2008-05-04, 10:25 PM
What's kind of anime do you like? For example, I enjoy Bee Train's Girl with Gun trilogy, but the slooooow pacing bored a lot of people, for those people no amount of Kaijura Yuuki's gorgeous music can save it. But since I enjoy slow paced anime, I like those.

Or, do you want to try to watch, anime movie? Like those studio ghibli's movies?

I guess I'll see what other recommend first,

So far I've really enjoyed death note. I also really liked the tri-gun manga but I haven't really watched enough anime to really get the gist of what types I like yet. Oh and thanks for the Code Geass recomendation. It looks awesome!

I don't really want to see many movies, at least not right now anyways.

Tengu
2008-05-04, 11:10 PM
I saw FMA the Abridged series. It was truly awful
from
EE

You see, the truth is that in order to make a good Abridged series, the series in question must be as bad and full of plot holes as possible. This is in addition to being able to actually tell jokes.

The only good Abridged series I've seen were YGO and Naruto.

SDF
2008-05-05, 12:00 AM
EVA really is worth a watch, it has one of my favorite endings of any anime (I always considered the last two episodes the internal narrative to the movies end). I don't think I've found an anime I like more yet.

Wolf's Rain is great, better than Bebop IMO.

Eureka Seven was decent, if a bit long.

08th MS Team is probably as good as Gundam gets, and I recomend that one.

Rogue 7
2008-05-05, 12:06 AM
Now, see, there's the thing. That's not the case. The guys who do Naruto Abridged are hilarious, and they do point out a lot of actual problems with the show (which I do like anyways) but a lot of it comes from them just being funny. For instance, the bit in episode 11 where the one guy tries to work it in that Temari's his girlfriend, they fight over the mike, etc, is hilarious every time I see it. That's got nothing to do with ripping on the show, it's just funny. Same with Avatar Abridged (and if you haven't checked that one out, do so. Only 5 episodes, but they're fantastic)- I think you'll agree that Avatar's a fantastically made show, but GanXingba's humor comes from setting up outrageous situations and clever dialouge with the story largely as a backdrop- there's not a huge amount of riffing on the show. So the more important thing is that the people who do it are funny.

Haruki-kun
2008-05-05, 12:08 AM
Actually, only 1 of the arcs is from a differant point of view.

The others are differant versions of a cyclic universe. Actually even the sole arc that views events from a differant point of view is its own universe, it's just 90% identical to an earlier universe.

Though I guess the second half of the story does change the point of view, the events are too differant for them to be the same story.

True. But these parallel universes, when seen from different points of view, make up most of the story.

Anyway, Higurashi no naku koro ni is a really good Animé.

Kato
2008-05-05, 01:20 AM
Okay, my opinions:

EVA - It's a classic and it's quite great. The problem is. it's not common taste. Wanna say, there are just as many people out there hating it as loving it. Maybe check three episodes and then make up your mind ^^

Gundam - Whole bunch of series... not through all of them - actually just 2 and 3 started - but possibly worth a look at. G Gundam e.g. is quite old, but it's a lot of short eps each good for itself, so if you don't like being cut off in the middle of an episode or fights lasting longer than they should, try this one. Otherwise Wing is a classic on it's own... thouch most of the character's are unbearable. Might try 00 to begin with. It's the latest, first season was just over.

Naruto - it's often hilarious, but don't watch the fillers, and don't - under no circumstances - try a dub, it's not worth your time (especially the German...) if you like some laughs and some good fights, give it a try.

Cowboy Beepop - classic as well, definitly worth watching. Not too many episodes anyway.

Ranma 1/2 - I can't belive it wasn't mentioned till now. I know it's quite old, but... man, it's Ranma! It's just so damn funny. At least go and watch 3-5 eps... and if you really don't like it, stop. (But I'm sure you will ^^) Sadly it's a little hard to find these days...

bluish_wolf
2008-05-05, 01:30 AM
http://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/

Also, try Soul Eater.

poleboy
2008-05-05, 02:09 AM
Cowboy Bebop gives the word cool entirely new dimensions.
I only watched a bit Fullmetal Alchemist but I liked it.
Hellsing in fun, completely over-the-top and corny but fun. Not always the best drawings unfortunatly.

As for movies, my all-time favorite is Princess Mononoke. Beautiful.
Anything by Miyazaki is pretty good.
Ghost in the Shell and Akira are some of the best sci-fi anime.
Vampire hunter D is pretty good as well.

Fri
2008-05-05, 12:51 PM
Well, I kinda seconded most of the reccomendation here. Though some are questionable (depending on your preferences) and some are just plain..

Okay, Naruto? It's today's Dragonball Z. Mind you, I love both Naruto and Dragonball manga, but the anime is just plain... annoying.

Last Exile is THE steam punk anime. Had some plot holes or such (basically, when fridge logic kick in) but I like it. Come on, steam powered flying battleship that attacked by RAMMING it's GIANT CHAINSAW? Is actually a bit more serious than that, with almighty guild, two country at war, and ancient technology.

Had you watched Cowboy Bebop? Is it Good? Then, you might like Samurai Champloo. If Cowboy Bebop is Space Opera Jazz, Samurai Champloo is Chambara (samurai movie) Hip-hop. Made by the same director and studio.

I guess you already have a lot of anime in your list, so I won't add anything more :D

Eerie
2008-05-05, 01:19 PM
Planetes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes).
Must see. It`s about almost realistic astronauts. Dying species.

Oh, and whatever you do, DON`T WATCH EVANGELION.

I did the mistake of watching it recently, and my brain is still traumatized. Anyway, last sentence of the last episode summarize it perfectly. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-05, 01:35 PM
Really? I figured the last line of the movie would fit your opinion more. Of course, I'm not positive I remember the last scene of the last episode, between the confusion and the laughing my ass off.

Fri
2008-05-05, 01:41 PM
Oh yes, Planetes.

Sadly I can't find the anime, but I absolutely love the Manga. One of my all time favourite.

The most realistic Space anime, ever. They worked closely with NASDA (Japan's Space agency) for the manga and anime. Everything, their job, their equipments, their vehicles, the buildings, the society, how everything worked, is as hard sci-fi as possible.

Set in the 2070s, It's about a crew of debris collector trying to make a living.

Bayar
2008-05-05, 01:44 PM
Trigun and Cowboy Bebob are a must see.

If you are a D&D fan, watch Slayers.

Full Metal Panic! has alot of things: comedy, drama, giant robots, - recomended

Tengu
2008-05-05, 01:50 PM
Oh, and whatever you do, DON`T WATCH EVANGELION.

I did the mistake of watching it recently, and my brain is still traumatized. Anyway, last sentence of the last episode summarize it perfectly. :smallbiggrin:

I taunt your easily-scarred mind.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-05, 02:05 PM
I could recommend some stuff depending on whither you want to read it or watch it. Ph. D is a good manga, like Priest (warning, might not be your thing if religious).

I found Chrono Crusade to be very satisfying to read (and watch but never watched all of it)

Princess Monoke (did I spell Monoke right) is an amazingly well-done movie like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

I recommend Naruto for some good mindless fun, though don't wikipedia it or anything cause...well that'll run the fun. As noted though, skip de filler. It do be retarded with only few acceptable pieces.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is...enjoyable but not quite amazing. Same with Cowboy Bebop though I can't say enough good things about the movie for it (Vincent FTW!). More later...maybe..I may just get bored and forget about this.

Eerie
2008-05-05, 02:05 PM
Really? I figured the last line of the movie would fit your opinion more. Of course, I'm not positive I remember the last scene of the last episode, between the confusion and the laughing my ass off.

That`s what I meant. The end of the "End".

Both "how disqusting" (the whole thing was) and "I feel sick" (after watching it) fits perfectly.

Poor Asuka probably just realized the absurdity of the whole series...

But I got to admit, the movie have some nice battle scenes.

Eerie
2008-05-05, 02:09 PM
Does Hayao Miyazaki even qualify as ANIME?

I think he is in his own, unique category. :smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-05, 02:31 PM
That`s what I meant. The end of the "End".

Both "how disqusting" (the whole thing was) and "I feel sick" (after watching it) fits perfectly.

Poor Asuka probably just realized the absurdity of the whole series...

But I got to admit, the movie have some nice battle scenes.I admit, the only part of the Eva franchise I've bothered rewatching is the first part of EoE, right up to the face-stabbing. Put my respect for Asuka, Misato, and NERV generally right back up into the "positive" range after the last part of the series.

EvilElitest
2008-05-05, 03:24 PM
You see, the truth is that in order to make a good Abridged series, the series in question must be as bad and full of plot holes as possible. This is in addition to being able to actually tell jokes.

Yeah, because i hate both YGO and Naruto (i'm sorry, they are very hackish) and so laughing at them is very amusing. I think that LittleKuriboh is far more funny than the Naruto guys, because he is just more comically adept, with better jokes and most importantly, he has much much better timing/voices and is more confident

The FMA was just weird, because they weren't really mocking so much as making lame jokes, because what they claimed were plot holes weren't actually plot holes at all
That being said, the naruto guys are funny

And Rogue, the avatar thing is funny? Really?
from
EE

endoperez
2008-05-05, 03:31 PM
Just today, I found out that Truveo (http://www.truveo.com)is really awesome way to learn about anime series. It's a video search engine, and I've found out about video hosting sites I never even new existed. I mean, videos that AREN'T music videos? Down with YouTube. :smallmad:

In case you want something different:

Mushishi: there's another thread about it. It's like walking in a city with all these noises and cars and glass buildings around you, and suddenly one of the walls wall is a huge watercolor painting of a fantastic landscape. It's calming.

Future Boy Conan: early Miyazaki. He has returned to the same themes in his later works, but for a series with an adolescent superstrong male protagonist it's delightfully different.

If you feel like watching something sweet:
- REC (main cast is already working)
- Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (just a few episodes packed with a powerful story)
- Lovely Complex (watch the first 5 or so episodes if you need to cheer up)

Eerie
2008-05-05, 04:35 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/344/asukaqy9.jpg

That`s what I understood from Evangelion. :smallbiggrin:

PS. No, it`s untranslatable. :smalltongue:

TSGames
2008-05-05, 05:49 PM
Full Metal Panic! has alot of things: comedy, drama, giant robots, - recomended

Uggg... I got so sick of the villains...
"I don't have a reason for doing this! I'm a terrorist, I just want to cause terror!" That pretty much sums up every villain in both the frist series and the Second Raid. Blargh... I couldn't even make it through all of FMP:TSR because of of how sub-liner the villains were. I mean, I've heard of 1 dimensional characters, but... but this is just ridiculous.

AslanCross
2008-05-05, 06:58 PM
I'll agree with the people who mentioned Code Geass and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

If you want Gundam, I recommend Gundam: The 8th MS Team. If you want to get into the original continuity a little more, there's the very first Mobile Suit Gundam, then Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ, and Char's Counterattack. The 8th MS Team is kind of like a side story to the first Gundam.

Gundam 00 is also okay, though it's in an alternate timeline.

Another mecha show I highly recommend is Gunbuster, along with its sequel Diebuster. Teenage girls in 250-meter mechs kicking kilometer-long aliens at light speed is my idea of fun.

I'm pretty neutral on Evangelion. I enjoyed watching it in some places, but it was excruciating in others.

If you can take shoujo-ish shows and want a little romantic comedy, try Ouran High School Host Club. It's not your average shoujo anime and is quite hilarious.

If you want martial arts anime, Shadow Skill is one of the less popular choices, but it's pretty good.

Poison_Fish
2008-05-05, 09:01 PM

I happened to enjoy the Yu Yu Hakusho abridged series.

EvilElitest
2008-05-05, 09:04 PM
I happened to enjoy the Yu Yu Hakusho abridged series.

eh?
from
EE

Tengu
2008-05-05, 09:37 PM
Uggg... I got so sick of the villains...
"I don't have a reason for doing this! I'm a terrorist, I just want to cause terror!" That pretty much sums up every villain in both the frist series and the Second Raid. Blargh... I couldn't even make it through all of FMP:TSR because of of how sub-liner the villains were. I mean, I've heard of 1 dimensional characters, but... but this is just ridiculous.

Well, it's true that FMP villains are very flat, moustache-twirling-evil variety, but... who cares, if the rest of the show is good? Not to mention that sometimes it can come as refreshing after each and every show tries to give its bad guys depth and sometimes falls flat.

Also, from what I understand the real villain is Leonard Testarossa, who is much less generic, and the show is quite far away behind the novels yet so he hasn't yet to show much of himself.

Nonanonymous
2008-05-05, 09:52 PM
I recommend Afro Samurai, just for the chance to see a samurai with an afro (Who would've guessed?) fight it out with a guy dual-wielding katanas while wearing a giant teddy-bear mask.

Poison_Fish
2008-05-05, 10:46 PM
Yu Yu Abridged (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXPp5_X3LNM). Beware naughty words.

Rogue 7
2008-05-05, 11:18 PM
And Rogue, the avatar thing is funny? Really?
from
EE

Allow me to quote a few lines:

Bhumi? What happened to you?

Steroids and Crack Cocaine!

"This is too good. Ok, so the first girl my age I ever meet, I get a kiss like that. You chase some guy halfway across the region, and not only does he reject you, as it turns out, he's gay? Sokka 1, Katara...negative 5" (Iroh 5000)

Cantdiestillavirgincantdiestillavirgincantdiestill avirgin

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-05, 11:48 PM
Wolf's Rain is great, better than Bebop IMO.

I second Wolf's Rain, it's definitely something everyone should watch atleast once. Better than Bebop? No, but close.

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, then try Samurai Champloo. From the same guys who did Bebop but now set in feudal Japan with swordfights and breakdancing.

Princess Monoke (did I spell Monoke right) is an amazingly well-done movie like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

Princess Mononoke. :smalltongue:

Justyn
2008-05-06, 01:12 AM
If you like pirates, and you have the time to watch 352 (as of May 5th, 2008) half hour episodes (that's 176 hours, or more than seven straight days), One Piece is a fun series, with a decent plot line, interesting character designs, and very few plot holes that I have noticed. It's been adapted from a manga that started in 1997 and both anime and manga are still running.

And like so many others, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann gets a vote from me. I mean, come on, everyone has shades. The badass that never wears a shirt has shades, the girl in minishorts and a bikini-top has shades, the little kid has shades, the team pet has shades, hell, the mech has shades. On its chest.

Tengu
2008-05-06, 02:43 AM
Gurren doesn't have a chest - it's a cephalothorax (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cephalothorax).

Justyn
2008-05-06, 02:54 AM
Gurren doesn't have a chest - it's a cephalothorax (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cephalothorax).

That, however, does not change the fact that Gurren, a mech, has shades (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolShades).

RobotPerfomance
2008-05-07, 12:33 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Ruroni Kenshin yet. But in addition to that gem here is the short list:
FLCL - Proof the Japanese are way ahead of the USA in Crazy
Outlaw star - for those who like Firefly (read everyone)
Fullmetal Alchemist - a must watch
Fullmetal Panic!- My avatar should make this obvious
Ah! My Goddess - Because I'm a big softy