PDA

View Full Version : Mutants&Masterminds

leden
2008-05-04, 02:52 PM
I'm starting a M&M game shortly. It'll be a campaign where they learn about their mutant powers and how to cope with them, and all that world that fears and ates them kinda thing

The thing is, I don't know what power level to put them in, at the beginning they won't know about their mutant powers so I think it should be around 5-7 but having never played a game of M&M before I don't really know,

What power level should I put them in?
Also, what is the maximum power level I should put in a villian if i expect my players to beat him without using their powers?(The villian will have powers) And what powers should he have?

Thank you in advance.
Led

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-04, 05:10 PM
PL 5-7 would be more of a street-level heroes, which are somewhat tricky to play. I recommend PL 10, where players can begin to fully appreciate their superhuman abilities as well as allowing for more customisation.

In terms of villains, it would depend on what kind of heroes it'll face against. No superpowers is fine, but if it's 4 batman/martial-artist-type characters who don't use superpowers anyway, then PL 11-12 with appropriate (or little higher) power points would be ideal. If they are all energy controllers/paragons (think superman) who rely heavily on their powers then their effective PL drops significantly.

The problem with 'M&M session where the PC heroes lose their power' is that characters are such diverse lot. Their concept may dictate them to rely on 'supernatural power' to fuel their attack/defence bonuses ('psychic guidance' or as such) or they may be due to non-supernatural origin. Therefore, I'd suggest the following:

1. PL10 with 150pp is the ideal power level for the beginners to do some of what they see in the comics without seriously getting out of control (not that it's hard to get them back).
2. Let them create their character as PL 10/150pp, but all with 'normal identity' drawback. This will allow them to have a non-powered version of their characters with appropriate PL.
3. To create an appropriate villain, calculate the heroes' effective PL based on their damage/attack and toughness/defence. Take the average of those values and +1 for a challenging encounter, +2-+3 for a recurring villain, who will be 'upgraded' as the PCs gain their power.
4. In terms of the super powers for your villain, give her anything you see fit that will entertain you and your players. For beginners however, I recommend a good ol' energy controller. It will allow the players to get used to the concept of damage bonus/attack roll, toughness roll/defence bonus, as well as reflex save (area attack, anyone?), as opposed to speedsters with impossible-to-catch speed.

feghoot
2008-05-04, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, well, if the world fears and hates them, they can always fight cops who try to arrest them.

Skaven
2008-05-04, 11:41 PM
I have always played at power level 10.

Makes a good hero without being overpowering.. however it entirely depends on concept.

I have had characters that were fully fleshed out that only needed PL 6-7 that could go toe to toe with many PL10's, and PL 10's who just didnt have enough points to realise their concept.

SO yeah.. PL 10 is generally the way to go. However its really worth looking in to some powers points before approving them. Some are overpriced (like changing into animals) while others are underpriced (like protection)

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-05, 05:37 AM
I recommend PL 8. It is good for heroes who are learning how to use their powers and cope with them.