PDA

View Full Version : Saves on reduce person/monster

Pirate_King
2008-05-05, 09:30 PM
Just kind of a random thing that kinda bugged me, that the save against this is Fort, and the sort of thing that you'd generally use this on (particularly at low level) is the sort of thing that would have a good fort save. what good is using reduce person on an Ogre to even the odds if the Ogre is almost certain to pass his fort save?

Cuddly
2008-05-05, 10:00 PM
Reduce person only works on humanoids. Ogres are giants.

The reduce/enlarge spells are meant to be buffs. Reducing your halfling caster to tiny size makes him harder for those orc archers to hit; making the fighter large increases his damage output.

cupkeyk
2008-05-05, 10:26 PM
And also, a -2 penalty to str will not deter an ogre. however a reduce person on a rogue(whose fort is slow), on top of ray of enfeeblement and chill touch will probably knock him unconscious(plus escalating enfeeblement, and ray of exhaustion)

Pirate_King
2008-05-05, 10:30 PM
Reduce person only works on humanoids. Ogres are giants.

well I feel stupid. DM didn't realize that in our last encounter. When they saved, I just enlarged myself instead (playing a gish, fighter 2/wiz 1)

I understand enlarge as a buff, but I always thought of reduce as a harmful thing. like a poison mushroom in super smash bros.

Collin152
2008-05-05, 11:08 PM
And also, a -2 penalty to str will not deter an ogre. however a reduce person on a rogue(whose fort is slow), on top of ray of enfeeblement and chill touch will probably knock him unconscious(plus escalating enfeeblement, and ray of exhaustion)

Tecnically, still concious. Just unable to move.
Which is probably a worse off state, if you ask me.

Chronos
2008-05-05, 11:09 PM
Reduce Person decreases Str by 2, yes. But it also increases Dex by 2, and there are a lot of characters for whom Dex is more important than Str. Being reduced also grants a +1 to AC and attack rolls, and a +4 on Hide checks, among other things.

And also, a -2 penalty to str will not deter an ogre. however a reduce person on a rogue(whose fort is slow), on top of ray of enfeeblement and chill touch will probably knock him unconscious(plus escalating enfeeblement, and ray of exhaustion)Except that it won't stack with the Reduce that the rogue probably already has on him anyway.