PDA

View Full Version : Althalus

Zenthar
2008-05-07, 12:14 PM
Anyone here read this? What are your opinions 'bout it?

Adumbration
2008-05-07, 12:40 PM
If it's the one I think it is - yes, I liked it, but there couple of clauses on this. First, I was younger then, and second, I hadn't read other, later books by the author. And even then I enjoyed most the beginning.

Spoilers:
What really spoiled it for me these days is that I realized how much the author(s) recycle their characters. In later books in different series there's pretty much similar characters and even conversations between them.

Rogue 7
2008-05-07, 12:44 PM
Yeah.... Eddings does that a lot. I enjoyed Belgariad/Malloreon and Elenium/Tamuli (Never read Althalus), but then I tried "The Dreamers" and...it didn't work. Maybe because there was some differentiation between the Belgariad characters and Elenium (though many parallels), and The Dreamers felt ripped off wholesale (not to mention the quality of the writing declined), and I stopped reading them.

Kaelaroth
2008-05-07, 12:51 PM
I liked the ideas behind it, but it was far too long, and all the characters were rather bland. But, if this is the right book I'm thinking of, then it's Eddings, and his other bonuses make up for that.

cnsvnc
2008-05-07, 12:56 PM
Read Elenium. Then you've read everything (good) Eddingses wrote.

Zenthar
2008-05-07, 01:07 PM
Yes, it's written by Eddings. "Redemption of Althalus" is the whole title.
The "magic" system is pretty much the same as the one in the Belgariad series.. it's pretty good in my opinion.. but there are some stupidities such as:
- The ten year old boy regarded as genius comes up with obvious ideas, and they're all amazed.
- That ten year old boy makes up plans which even the Gods can't think of. (and they're obvious, as I said.)
- There are many things that would have ended the whole "war" in the series quickly. They were given way too much power, yet they never thought of a way to use it. Like the "doors".. the possibilites are limitless, and if I was given them, I would have won the war between Ghend and Althalus' forces in a matter of seconds. Same goes for the "magic" that Althalus and Ghend had. So many uses for it, yet it wasn't used to it's extent.

Dervag
2008-05-07, 11:30 PM
In fairness, I should point out that many ideas obvious to moderns who have a very large background of fictional and factual history to draw on would not be obvious to people living in a preindustrial society who haven't read stories set in several dozen fictional universes and the chronicles of several major real historical eras.

We might well think of applications for the 'doors' or 'word magic' that would simply not occur to Althalus.

Serpentine
2008-05-08, 01:15 AM
I've read this. And I liked it... Not many other people I've talked to have, though :smallfrown:

cnsvnc
2008-05-08, 06:15 AM
I didn't say I don't like it. It's just so Eddings...

And the best moment was the boy's "cunning defeat" of his evil twin.

Zenthar
2008-05-08, 09:17 AM
I didn't say I don't like it. It's just so Eddings...

And the best moment was the boy's "cunning defeat" of his evil twin.

Define "so Eddings"? :P

Thiel
2008-05-08, 09:58 AM
Define "so Eddings"? :P

Boring, predictable and recycled.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-08, 11:58 PM
I liked it. It wasn't great but it was an ok distraction for a few hours.

H. Zee
2008-05-09, 01:20 AM
I've read this. And I liked it... Not many other people I've talked to have, though :smallfrown:

Same here. I wouldn't say it was a brilliant book, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Prustan
2008-05-09, 03:50 AM
Eddings. Used to be one of my favorite authors. Liked the Belgariad/Mallorean, the Elenium/Tamuli, Redemption of Althalus, and Regina's Song (that was really different, and probably his best). Then the Dreamers - started out okay, but got progressively worse until the last book almost killed any respect I had for him. Would probably still read his next book/series, but I'll be much more sceptical, and if it starts looking like a Dreamers repeat, then I'll give up on Eddings for good.

Prustan
2008-05-09, 03:53 AM
Eddings. Used to be one of my favorite authors. Liked the Belgariad/Mallorean, the Elenium/Tamuli, Redemption of Althalus, and Regina's Song (that was really different, and probably his best). Then the Dreamers - started out okay, but got progressively worse until the last book almost killed any respect I had for him. Would probably still read his next book/series, but I'll be much more sceptical, and if it starts looking like a Dreamers repeat, then I'll give up on Eddings for good.

Arioch
2008-05-09, 08:41 AM
I really liked Althalus the first time I read it, a few years ago. I recently re-read it and it was...okay. It starts and ends poorly, though.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-05-09, 09:45 AM
Roughly speaking, it is not as good as the Belgariad and Elenium, possibly on a part with or slightly worse than the Mallorian and Tamuli.

It is by no means his worst book, but if you have read either of the two good series (Belgariad and Elenium) then it reads as very tired and lazy writing.

Don't get me wrong - it was an OK read, but could have done with being a lot shorter.