PDA

View Full Version : I'm a lazy lazy man

Charity
2008-05-09, 05:36 AM
Hi guys,
Any of you good folk fancy making me a Lizardman Shaman or two.
Level 8 party
Melee heavy, no batman (though got a batman lite beguiler)
might chuck in a couple of barbarians/fighters along with half a dozen bog standards...
Well if you fancy lending a hand it'll be most appreciated, damn this work sucking up my prep time.

Maxymiuk
2008-05-09, 05:38 AM
What's the terrain we have to work with? Swamp? Marsh? Do the lizards get the home ground advantage, or are they meant as a random encounter?

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-09, 05:43 AM
Please could I have a look at the Shaman's class featurs and spell list? (I'm not familiar with the class).

Charity
2008-05-09, 05:46 AM
What's the terrain we have to work with? Swamp? Marsh? Do the lizards get the home ground advantage, or are they meant as a random encounter?

Lake surrounded by boggy marsh, home advantage, there are several (identical for ease) groups around the lake, the PC's wanna get to the middle.

Please could I have a look at the Shaman's class featurs and spell list? (I'm not familiar with the class).

Sorry, I am not being clear, I have no problem what class/s the 'Shaman' is just that he's a bit shamany, cleric/ sorcerer/ anything else you fancy.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-09, 06:22 AM
Thanks for telling me (I heard that there was a Shaman class at 1 point, so I wondered if you were talking about that one).

MelkorsHalo
2008-05-09, 06:37 AM
Thanks for telling me (I heard that there was a Shaman class at 1 point, so I wondered if you were talking about that one).

There is a Shaman class in oriental adventures. They get divine casting, turn undead, animal companion, Cha to saves, couple other things.

Maxymiuk
2008-05-09, 06:41 AM
Okay, so let's get evil...

Hassariss, the Waterwalker
Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Druid 10
Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (78 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+2 Dexterity, +5 Natural armor, +5 Hide Armor +2), touch 12, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+8
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d4+1), or +2 Spear +10 melee (1d8+3)
Full attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+1) and bite +6 melee (1d4) or +2 Spear +10/+5
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Hold Breath
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +13
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 9
Skills: Too lazy to figure them out :smallmad: Assume high ranks in Swim, Spot, Listen, Survival, Handle Animal, Concentration, cross-classed Hide and Move Silently
Feats: Animal Companion (Snake, Huge viper), Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure, Wildshape (Large) 4/day, Venom Immunity, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell, Track, Combat Casting
Equipment: +2 Spear, +2 Hide Armor, Periapt of Wisdom +2, Cloak of Resistance +2

Spells:
0th level: 6
Create Water x2
Detect Magic
Light
Read Magic x2

1st level: 4+1
Cure Light Wounds
Entangle x2
Longstrider
Obscuring Mist

2nd level: 4+1
Bull's Strength x2
Flame Blade
Fog Cloud
Resist Energy

3rd level: 3+1
Cure Moderate Wounds
Poison
Snare
Summon Nature's Ally III

4th level: 3+1
Control Water x2
Cure Serious Wounds
Flame Strike

5th level: 2
Baleful Polymorph
Summon Nature's Ally V

Tactics:

If the party travels on foot, Hassariss will wait till they're deep into the bog and start the fight by casting Entangle (preferably before he's noticed). If he catches at least two party members, he will follow up by casting Control Water to raise the level of the swamp above their heads, and thus begin drowning them. At the same time his retinue (I'd suggest 4-6 fighters and barbarians at average level 5) will move in underwater and start combat with those who get free of the tangles.

If the party travels by boat, Hassariss will simply begin by casting Control Water to make them hit bottom, then follow it with Entangle and dismiss Control Water, sending in his retinue as before.

As the combat proceeds, he will cast his summons: a giant constrictor snake for Summon Nature's Ally V and a large shark for Summon Nature's Ally III. He will follow with a Baleful Polymorph targeting the nearest caster, then cast Bull's Strength on himself and circle the fight (trying to stay underwater), looking to close with any remaining caster and deliver his Poison spell, to be followed by stabbing the everloving crap out of them.

If things aren't going his way, Hassariss will sound a retreat and cast Fog Cloud and later, if necessary, Obscuring Mist to hide his retreat. If he has time, he will also lay down a Snare to delay pursuit. Alternately, the Snare spell can be used to make the rest of the party cluster around the victim as they attempt to free him, at which point he calls down a Flame Strike upon them.

------

That works for ya? :smalltongue:

Charity
2008-05-09, 07:12 AM
That may be a bit too evil, though they are quite tough these days, I don't want to butcher them... then again, at least there's no constrictor snake in there... oh no there he is as a summons...
Thanks Maxymiuk, I might drop him a level or two, or go easy on the support but thats deffo the sort of thing cheers.

Hmm I might go for nets and spears for the fighters, just to keep the feel right.

Maxymiuk
2008-05-09, 07:16 AM
Aww, but adversity builds character. :smallamused:

Glad you like it. Let me know how it works out.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-09, 07:24 AM
Maximiuk, why would he store SNA spells when he can cast them spontaneously? I'd probably give him healing spells in place SNA 3 and 5.

bosssmiley
2008-05-09, 07:37 AM
If you are that lazy and need SRD characters just download the freeware Redblade character generator with its' d20SRD expansion. Like a good apprentice it does all the lowly gruntwork of creating NPC stats for you.

*click* Stats
*click* Lizardman
*click* Druid
*click* 8th level
*click* Spell selection
*click* Fat lewts

5 minutes, tops. Leaves more time for lazing. :smallcool:

Charity
2008-05-09, 07:45 AM
I must have missed that particular lazyman shortcut, ta.
I'm sure I've downloaded it somewhere, I'll have to give it a whirl.
Cheers eggy.

Maxymiuk
2008-05-09, 07:49 AM
Maximiuk, why would he store SNA spells when he can cast them spontaneously? I'd probably give him healing spells in place SNA 3 and 5.

Well, oops. :smalleek:

It was awhile since I either played or ran for a druid. Kinda forgot about that ability. Hmm...

Agreed to swap out SNA III for CMD, but replace SNA V with Insect Plague to give the PC's additional motivation to stick around underwater. :smallamused:

Burley
2008-05-09, 08:35 AM
If you are that lazy and need SRD characters just download the freeware Redblade character generator with its' d20SRD expansion. Like a good apprentice it does all the lowly gruntwork of creating NPC stats for you.

*click* Stats
*click* Lizardman
*click* Druid
*click* 8th level
*click* Spell selection
*click* Fat lewts

5 minutes, tops. Leaves more time for lazing. :smallcool:

Do you have a linky for that generator? Cause... I'm really lazy, too.

bosssmiley
2008-05-09, 08:43 AM
Do you have a linky for that generator? Cause... I'm really lazy, too.

"The power of the idle side is strong with this one."

http://downloads.redblade.org/ - 3.5, 3.0 & 2nd Ed. chargen software.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-09, 08:49 AM
Do you have a way to click the link without actually clicking it... cause... well... lazy doesn't even cover what I am.

:smalltongue:

Charity
2008-05-09, 09:03 AM
*pushes Sams chest in and out for him*

Keld Denar
2008-05-09, 09:20 AM
Since I'm on a Dragonfire Adept kick lately....

Burnssississ, Female DFA10
Breaths: 2 Frost Breath 5 Weakening Breath 10 Sleep Breath
Feats: 1 Entangling Exhalation 3 Ability Focus: Breath Weapon 6 Flyby Attack 9 Flyby Breath
Invocations: Endure Exposure, See the Unseen, Draconic Flight, Voratious Dispelling
Breath 5d6 30' cone or 60' line DC 23
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 22 (16 +2 lvl +4 item) Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 14
HP 109 Fort +13 Ref +4 Wil +8
Tactics
Uses Flyby Breath with Draconic Flight Invocation to strafe battlefield, laying down Entangling Exhalation breaths with alternating Weakening Breath or Sleep Breath.

Lackies (6)
Male Lizardman Warrior6
Equipment 6+ Javelins
Use MM stats with 6 levels of warrior tacked on for toughness

This should be a pretty solid encounter. Burnssississ strafes overhead dropping her cone down on PCs standing too close together. Warrior lackies utilize their movement to chuck javelins at hampered PCs. Mostly there to distract PCs from killing Burnssississ and provide a bit of supplimental damage.

For extra kick, have encounter in knee-deep water (difficult terrain) which doesn't affect the lizardmen. Between Entangling Exhalation, difficult terrain, and Weakening Beath, the primarily melee based party will be reletively hobbled to 1/4 speed and some nasty penalties to strength. Dealing with Burnssississ will be tough without much in the way of ranged attacks, although the beguiler could get a nasty glitterdust off that would hobble Burnssississ a lot, but she'd just fly away until the duration wears off.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-09, 09:20 AM
*pushes Sams chest in and out for him*

Sweet! I can now devote those calories elsewhere. Hmm... I still need to move my eyeballs.

Charity
2008-05-09, 09:46 AM
Since I'm on a Dragonfire Adept kick lately....

Burnssississ, Female DFA10
Breaths: 2 Frost Breath 5 Weakening Breath 10 Sleep Breath
Feats: 1 Entangling Exhalation 3 Ability Focus: Breath Weapon 6 Flyby Attack 9 Flyby Breath
Invocations: Endure Exposure, See the Unseen, Draconic Flight, Voratious Dispelling
Breath 5d6 30' cone or 60' line DC 23
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 22 (16 +2 lvl +4 item) Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 14
HP 109 Fort +13 Ref +4 Wil +8
Tactics
Uses Flyby Breath with Draconic Flight Invocation to strafe battlefield, laying down Entangling Exhalation breaths with alternating Weakening Breath or Sleep Breath.

Lackies (6)
Male Lizardman Warrior6
Equipment 6+ Javelins
Use MM stats with 6 levels of warrior tacked on for toughness

This should be a pretty solid encounter. Burnssississ strafes overhead dropping her cone down on PCs standing too close together. Warrior lackies utilize their movement to chuck javelins at hampered PCs. Mostly there to distract PCs from killing Burnssississ and provide a bit of supplimental damage.

For extra kick, have encounter in knee-deep water (difficult terrain) which doesn't affect the lizardmen. Between Entangling Exhalation, difficult terrain, and Weakening Beath, the primarily melee based party will be reletively hobbled to 1/4 speed and some nasty penalties to strength. Dealing with Burnssississ will be tough without much in the way of ranged attacks, although the beguiler could get a nasty glitterdust off that would hobble Burnssississ a lot, but she'd just fly away until the duration wears off.

Full of dragony goodness cool, I may need to chuck several of these groups
at them after all. Ta muchly... yhough I'm gonna have to look up all those special breath thingies.. what book is it in so I can seek it out amongst the ... er pile.

Keld Denar
2008-05-09, 09:58 AM
Dragonfire Adept and all associated paraphenalia are in Dragon Magic, and also in a convenient web enhancement here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2

Entangling Exhalation is the key. It 1/2s the damage, but tacks on 1d4 rounds of the entangled condition so long as the target takes at least 1 point of damage. Flyby Breath is in one of the Dragonlance books, but is essentially just Flyby Attack with a breath weapon instead of an attack.

For a bit of additional longevity, you could throw in a low level dragon shaman in behind the warriors with draconic aura:vigor to provide some fast healing to any warriors who get too injured. Burnssississ should be able to keep everyone locked down enough that they can retreat if needed when they get hurt.

Albonor
2008-05-09, 01:32 PM
Did I miss something? Since when does Redblade includes SRD content and not Core-only? I could use that! Is there an option I missed?

bosssmiley
2008-05-10, 08:02 AM
Did I miss something? Since when does Redblade includes SRD content and not Core-only? I could use that! Is there an option I missed?

Oh, sorry. The full SRD, d20 Modern, etc. stuff is in their forum. You just plonk the files in your Redblade folder and use the "new campaign" option to swap between them.

Matthew
2008-05-10, 08:54 AM
Ha, ha. That's pretty lazy, Charity. I reckon this 4e D&D Insider thingy is going to be a great boon for the lazy man. :smallbiggrin:

"The power of the idle side is strong with this one."

http://downloads.redblade.org/ - 3.5, 3.0 & 2nd Ed. chargen software.

That thing is broken, I generated an AD&D 2e Elf Mage with proficiency in the Bastard Sword. :smallwink:

Charity
2008-05-10, 10:20 AM
Ha, ha. That's pretty lazy, Charity. I reckon this 4e D&D Insider thingy is going to be a great boon for the lazy man. :smallbiggrin:

4e is going to be doubly easy for the lazyman as it is preportedly so easy to run I've persuaded someone else to run it!
*runs around hooting for joy*

Lazy true, but my less effort theory played out... the darn beguiler messed with the lizardman's head and recruited him... sigh. (+13 will save doesn't help when you roll a 5... twice)
Thats the problem with all or nothing save or lose spells, I won't be sorry to see the back of those.

Swooper
2008-05-10, 03:56 PM
And now you've made me wanna run a lizardman encounter, even though my players aren't anywhere near swamplands where they could live nor are of suitable levels to tackle them :smallfrown:

Epinephrine
2008-05-10, 05:03 PM
I'm curious about how they'll handle these encounters :) btw - I like the control water/entangle thing, I just may use that. Riverbanks just got deadlier.

Albonor
2008-05-10, 05:47 PM
Oh, sorry. The full SRD, d20 Modern, etc. stuff is in their forum. You just plonk the files in your Redblade folder and use the "new campaign" option to swap between them.

thanks a lot, it will be lots of help!