PDA

View Full Version : Akira

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 03:12 PM
Anyone here seen the movie Akira, y'know the anime with the body horror (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BodyHorror), and the crazy bikers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllBikersAreHellsAngels), I got to thinking about it because it's on Teletoon tonight(akira+armatige=no sleep this weekend), what'd you think of it?

Seraph
2008-05-10, 03:22 PM
fantastic if you haven't read the manga, kinda disappointing if you have. either way, it's a great movie and a must-see for any anime fan.

Dirk Redwood
2008-05-10, 05:27 PM
very beatiful. But Also pretty confusing. I eventually want to read the Manga to understand a lot of the stuff the movie had to skip.

I hate to see what the live action American verison will be like

Thiel
2008-05-10, 06:36 PM
very beatiful. But Also pretty confusing. I eventually want to read the Manga to understand a lot of the stuff the movie had to skip.

I hate to see what the live action American verison will be like

Live action? I know we've come a long way with CGI, but how on earth are they going to make the explosive mutation?

Anyway, I like both the film and the manga. Akira was actually the first manga I ever read.

averagejoe
2008-05-10, 06:55 PM
It is among my favoritest movies. I tend to disagree on the necessity of the manga, thought admittedly it did take me 2-3 watchings of the movie to know what was going on. But, yeah, watch it.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-10, 07:02 PM
I almost posted a thread myself having also watched it on Teletoon.

I saw it when I was a lot younger.

I had forgotten how weird it was. It's why I got into Anime in the first place, the weirdness :P

Edan
2008-05-10, 07:07 PM
It is pretty good but it borders and actually becomes a mind screw (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MindScrew) at some points. I enjoyed it, extremely advanced when it was made, and has aged well. Not to mention it has cemented itself into pop culture and anime history now.

Best part was when Kaneda got that big ass laser and just went all out with it, that was cool.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-05-10, 07:43 PM
The movie is good. The manga is better.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-10, 10:21 PM
One of my first real animes.

poleboy
2008-05-11, 04:35 PM
It's pretty awesome. Probably one of my first anime as well.

BTW did you notice the Akira reference in that Kanye West video, Stronger?

Jayngfet
2008-05-11, 04:37 PM
It's pretty awesome. Probably one of my first anime as well.

BTW did you notice the Akira reference in that Kanye West video, Stronger?

So he referenced a video made god knows how many years after the movie finished, based on a french song that was used in an anime with the same problem?

SilentNight
2008-05-11, 04:55 PM
I've read the first four volumes, but I haven't seen the anime, and thought it got kind of crazy.

Thiel
2008-05-11, 05:34 PM
I've read the first four volumes, but I haven't seen the anime, and thought it got kind of crazy.
The anime has the questionable honour of being the only animated film I've ever seen here in Denmark that has a rating of 15+. (Believe me, that takes a lot.)

poleboy
2008-05-12, 09:25 AM
So he referenced a video made god knows how many years after the movie finished, based on a french song that was used in an anime with the same problem?

Er.. what? I don't know anything about a french song in an anime that what... ? Mimics Akira? Please explain.

I just thought the scene where he is lying in a hospital bed, apparently in pain, then stumbling out into a hallway confronting armed special forces soldiers of some kind looked a lot like scene from Akira. Am I the only one who thinks that is pretty impressive for mainstream media? :smallfrown:
Who cares if he has any idea what he's referencing? I just enjoy spotting things like that and feeling superior because I know what's going on :smallcool:

kamikasei
2008-05-12, 09:49 AM
Er.. what? I don't know anything about a french song in an anime that what... ? Mimics Akira? Please explain.

"Stronger" samples "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk. ...I don't know what the rest of the post you quote was saying, though.

I just thought the scene where he is lying in a hospital bed, apparently in pain, then stumbling out into a hallway confronting armed special forces soldiers of some kind looked a lot like scene from Akira. Am I the only one who thinks that is pretty impressive for mainstream media? :smallfrown:
Who cares if he has any idea what he's referencing? I just enjoy spotting things like that and feeling superior because I know what's going on :smallcool:

Not just the scene you mention but the whole video is pretty much a non-stop reference to Akira and I believe Kayne West has acknowledged this and stated it's an homage.

poleboy
2008-05-13, 01:14 AM
"Stronger" samples "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk

Not exactly a secret since Daft Punk are featured the video. I'm pretty sure it's also presented as KW feat./vs. Daft Punk. I didn't know it was based on an old song of theirs though, I always figured it was a collaboration.