PDA

View Full Version : Go, Speed Racer, Go!

Horatio@Bridge
2008-05-13, 11:10 PM
I will start by admitting that Speed Racer has a simple story, which as a consequence is quite predictable. I will also admit that the characters are rather one dimensional. I will finally admit that the movie has no shades of gray--the good guys are shining white good, the bad guys are black as night bad. But I will not admit that these are always bad things! Speed Racer has shown me that a talented director (in this case a talented pair of them) with some talented actors can take a simple, predictable story and a bunch of one dimensional characters and make a great movie out of it.

First, I want to touch on one of the technical elements, and that's the use of flashbacks and flashforwards. Normally, cutting back and forth through time like this is disorienting, but the Warchowski brothers cut the scenes together to make a linear story out of nonlinear time flow, and they did it while maintaining the pace of the story throughout. The movie started in high gear and never slowed down, no matter how many twists and turns it took in time, space, or point of view. The only word I can think of to describe what they accomplished is "brilliant," and the editing alone is worth the price of admission.

Next, the acting. I've already admitted that the characters are one-dimensional, but the acting certainly wasn't! The actors transcended their characters, and gave real depth to some flat starting material. Emile Hirsch deserves an Oscar, alright, but give it to him for Speed Racer! It's one thing to take a character who has life handed down by the material, it's another to breath life into material that's cheesier than Wisconsin. The actors elevated the material above itself, and this is also a worthy accomplishment.

Finally, a word on the story. A lot of critics have panned it for being simple, predictable, and overdone, and a lot of people try to apologize for this by saying "oh, it's just a kid's movie." But I'm not going to apologize. This is a story about good and evil. It's a story about the underdog triumphing over the Big Bad Evil Corporations. It's a story about a family, the forces the threaten to break them apart, and the bonds that draw them back together in spite of those forces. And if these stories are overdone, there's a reason they're overdone--it's because they're darn good stories! And I for one will never tire of hearing them as long as they are well told. Speed Racer is a well told story, and is well worth the $8 to see it in theaters and the $20 to buy it on DVD when the time comes.

Gaelbert
2008-05-13, 11:48 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but being cheesy never really bothers me as much as it seems to bother other people. The only thing I didn't like was at the beginning when he walked outside and the colors were really bright. But that ended pretty soon, and I was happy for the rest of the movie. Although I must say I called
the whole brother cosmetic face change thing, and stuck with it even when the Harbinger of Boom revealed his changed face to Speed Racer.

Solo
2008-05-14, 12:09 AM
So, do the villians in this film have long thin mustaches and twirl them constantly whilst saying "Nya nya nya!" ?

Jayngfet
2008-05-14, 12:18 AM
Didn't I make an existing thread on this?

Phantasm
2008-05-14, 07:34 AM
So, do the villians in this film have long thin mustaches and twirl them constantly whilst saying "Nya nya nya!" ?
now this would make me want to go see the movie.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-14, 09:18 AM
So in short, it was hammy but enjoyable? That's more or less what I thought. Heh...I may actually see it now that I know what to expect.

Icewalker
2008-05-14, 05:47 PM
My friend saw it, and while I was expecting it to be a "hehehe" kind of laugh at movie, apparently it was excellent as a movie. I'll probably see it.

Horatio@Bridge
2008-05-14, 08:03 PM
Actually, in short, it was remarkably not hammy. That is to say, there were hammy scenes, but for the most part it transcended the inherent hamminess of the concept. It's really, really good. Really.

Brickwall
2008-05-14, 08:10 PM
This movie was indeed awesome. I was expecting it to be almost as awkward as the original anime. Imagine my surprise when they string together a lighthearted, CGI-racing-action-scene-packed, enjoyable flick. I need to get it on DVD just to see the parts I missed in favor of the bathroom.

If nothing else, watch it to see a ninja get pantsed. You hear me. A ninja gets his pants pulled off. Watch it.

Raiser Blade
2008-05-15, 02:37 AM
Related topic: Scott Porter (Rex Racer) posts on another forum I frequent for a collectable miniatures game. Pretty soon I will actually be playing in a mafia game with him.

sealemon
2008-05-21, 09:01 PM
Let's see. The movie had ninjas, a monkey, explosions, high tech cars, a Viking, and a former wrestler. Plus, John Goodman as Pops.

And yet, it didn't really do anything for me. I found the pacing...how to say this...it was so frentic it was actually kind of plodding to me. I also didn't care for all the background on how the evil corporation was screwing over pro racing (Felt kinda Phantom menace to me).

I did enjoy the fight scenes, but overall I'd rate this movie on the level of the third Matrix movie. YMMV, of course.

Matar
2008-05-22, 06:01 PM
This. Movie. Was. Awsome!

I freaking loved every single moment of it >_>.

It was like Watching a Loli dressed in birght pink with cotton candy splashing water on another Loli with a bright freaking Flash-Light that flashed every color of the rainbow at her. While eating the best candy you can imagine. While said candy dances in your freaking mouth.

Yes it was over the top. Yes it was sweet. Yes it was colorful. *Yes* it was silly. And yes, it defied logic alot. But it was awsome.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-23, 07:22 PM
The movie itself was really good, but the group I was with made it awesome. It did get kinda annoying when one of my friends yelled "That's what she said!" After almost every line :smallsigh: (some were pretty funny, though) I think the best part was when the sound stopped for five minutes and the row in front of me did really good voice overs.

Kinda disappionted with the brother though. Didn't he die on a really simple course in the show? I also felt that I could have done some of the backrounds better on paint. :smallconfused: