PDA

View Full Version : The Playground's Desert Island

Kaelaroth
2008-05-20, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone. Thinking of classic British Radio programme, Desert Island Discs, I wondered, what would I take with me on a desert island, assuming I was stranded. Then, I thought, what would you guys take.

So: Assuming you are stranded on a desert island, with one set of clothes, fresh water, and food supplies, what one object, person, or animal would you take with you? It has to be one thing, unless the thing you are bringing doesn't work unless it's in a full set, or consists of multiple small parts. It should be fairly obvious what I mean. It is unclear when, if ever, you will be rescued, please note.

So, what would you guys bring with you?

Narmoth
2008-05-20, 02:46 PM
I can take a person?

In that case I'll take a beautiful, intelligent girl that love me.:smallcool:

Archonic Energy
2008-05-20, 02:51 PM
while there is someone i would like to be stranded with, i don't think she'd like to be stranded with me!

i'd take a laptop & a solar cell charger.

Zakama
2008-05-20, 02:52 PM
I would take a flair gun with like 5000 flairs. That or a long range radio.

sktarq
2008-05-20, 02:53 PM
In that case I'll take a beautiful, intelligent girl that love(s) me.:smallcool:

Seconded.

if not that
My kikuri (aka Nepalese Machette aka Gurka aka the Kora's little brother). I can make most of whatever else I'll need/want with that.

Groundhog
2008-05-20, 02:55 PM
A boat. Yes I know I'm ruining it by attempting to get off of the island. :smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-20, 04:57 PM
A really really big JC waterwalker.

CrazedGoblin
2008-05-20, 05:08 PM
i dunno if i would take anything to be honest, maybe a knife though.

Phae Nymna
2008-05-20, 05:25 PM
Seconded.

if not that
My kikuri (aka Nepalese Machette aka Gurka aka the Kora's little brother). I can make most of whatever else I'll need/want with that.

Aye, I'd bring my kukri too. If not the kukri, I'd like to have one hundred yards of linen fabric, so I could make sails, bedding, clothes, yadda yadda yadda. I'd make needles out of bone and I'd sew using linen thread. Versatile and comfy!
My third option would be my current love interest: a quirky (NOT KINKY!), funny, drama geek who's perhaps the most beautiful thing I've ever lain eyes on.

Let's do a quick review:
1. Kukri: versatile hunting, crafting, what-have-you survival tool
2. 100 Yards of Linen: versatile fabric with applications as bedding, clothing, sailing, trapping, and a whole slew of other things
3. Hunk: emotional partner, work partner, survival partner, partner partner

YAY! VIABLE OPTIONS!

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-20, 05:49 PM
A cruise ship.

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-20, 06:26 PM
The infinite launcher from RE4. You never said it has to be something that actually exists.

Uncle Festy
2008-05-20, 06:28 PM
I'd take a laptop & a solar cell charger.

Yes.
This.
Wins.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-05-20, 06:30 PM
Kitchen set, eg bowls, spoons etc.

If I find this dessert island I want to take full advantage of it!:smalltongue:

Thiel
2008-05-20, 07:01 PM
I'd go for a kukri. It's one of the most useful tool you'll ever own.

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-20, 07:09 PM
Boots of Teleportation.

Win! :smallbiggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-20, 07:32 PM
acoustic guitar. Hell, I probably wouldn't need anything else.

UglyPanda
2008-05-20, 08:22 PM
An outdoor survival guide well-written enough for MacGyver, and heavy enough to kill small animals with.

Flickerdart
2008-05-20, 08:52 PM
A satellite internet subscription that never expires. Then, Archonic Energy. Together, we shall rule the little island as Internet-Enabled Gods!

wadledo
2008-05-20, 09:14 PM
I'd take an epic level Elvin Sorcerer.
Female, of course.:smallbiggrin::smallwink::smalltongue:

Jokerz
2008-05-20, 09:32 PM
Um... I'd take the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. In reinforced, antigravity device installed, metal plated, waterproof, collapsible-into-a-handy-hologram form. You can have an infinite source of reading material, and the bloodstains would be easy to wash out.

littlequietguy
2008-05-20, 09:44 PM
shades and infinty lemonade. relaxation here I come!!!:smallcool:

The Extinguisher
2008-05-20, 10:28 PM
MacGyver.

Then all my problems will be solved.

Trog
2008-05-20, 10:33 PM
The obvious, smart, and therefore sort of boring answer is to take something along that can get you off the island. Like a solar powered satellite cell phone that can get service all over the world which also has a GPS system built in so you can call for rescue and tell them precisely where you are. Or some sort of sailing craft that can be run by one person and contains instructions, GPS, etc. to get off the island yourself.

But that's no fun. :smalltongue:

Now I don't think I would take along a person as that would be two people to provide for and would more rapidly deplete the food resources of the island. And getting stuck on a desert island sucks, for sure, and I would never want to condemn someone else to the same fate. So no people.

Animal? Only if it has been killed, cured for me ahead of time for food. Like a cow or something. Its bones and such might be handy for tools and its hide for clothing or other useful things.

As for a single object I think having one of those water purifiers that need nothing more than gravity to do their job would be a good idea. According to the OP's list I have water which assumes either a container or a source of fresh water on the island. Hopefully the latter. I will assume the food portion of the setup is provisions. Better yet would be an abundant source of food on the island. Now if I already had a limitless supply of purified (read disease and bacteria-free) water and a constant food supply (hopefully also disease and bacteria-free) that changes things a bit. First of all it eliminates the need for the cow mentioned earlier.

So I'd have food and water... now clothing and shelter. Well I'm going to assume that there is abundant raw materials to make a shelter on the island. How decent of a one I can make will remain to be seen. Cutting things to make a shelter might pose a problem. I might be able to make my own shelter without a knife. Maybe. Picking a shelter as the thing to bring along would be smart. A tent made for long term use on the type of island I was on (being 100%, permanently waterproof and able to withstand hurricane force winds or the like) would be infinitely handy. And it should come with double the amount of stakes necessary so I can use at least one for a makeshift knife, as well as a generously-sized repair kit. That actually would probably be the best thing to bring along. If need be I could make my own clothing I suppose. And if I can choose what to wear before I get stranded that will help too since I can try to get as many double function items as possible to be nice and versatile.

So yeah. I choose a tent.

Or Wilson. :smalltongue:

Nohwl
2008-05-20, 10:39 PM
my one object would be a way home. i dont care if its a plane, or a boat or whatever. it doesnt really matter as long as i can use it to get home.

TigerHunter
2008-05-20, 10:44 PM
i'd take a laptop & a solar cell charger.
Plus something to get me internet.

Am I the only one here who wouldn't use said internet to call for help? The idea of being stuck on a desert island (especially with internet!) somehow appeals to me.

Unless it's inhabited by nothing but predators with nothing better to eat than me.
Or a cartoon-like desert island that's a 10' radius circle with a single palm tree.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-20, 10:53 PM
The Encyclopedia Brittanica. I've always wanted to be able to just sit and read for a long time.

Jack Squat
2008-05-20, 10:55 PM
Are we assuming I've got everything I carry with me? If so, I've already got several knives, a lighter, a firestarter, some paracord, and the SAS survival guide, so I'd probably choose to be with my girlfriend.

If not, a knife, because as much as I'd like human company, especially someone who cares about me, I can guarantee I'd need a good knife to survive.

reorith
2008-05-21, 12:24 AM
i'd also bring my kukri seeing as it fills several roles. i've used mine as a knife, small ax and trowel. i'm also kind of saddened that i'm not the first t mention it, but glad that there are other like minded individuals out there. inb4 katana

SoD
2008-05-21, 12:46 AM
I'd take what I like to think of my 'safety' bag (which I must get around to making someday). Which would contain: my GPS, a first aid kit (bottle of vodka), a second aid kit (another bottle), some bandaids, spare batteries, and a good book, a blank pad, pencils, erasers, dice and a monacle.

Either that or a boat big enough to drag my private island back home.

Freshmeat
2008-05-21, 01:17 AM
Why a patriotic American flag of course!

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-21, 01:25 AM
I'd go with the Boots of Teleportation. If it has to be real, I'd pick the cruise ship. If I had to stay, I'd pick what Archonic Energy said.

banjo1985
2008-05-21, 03:40 AM
I'd take Ray Mears. He'd help us both survive on a desert island :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2008-05-21, 07:32 AM
I'd take Ray Mears. He'd help us both survive on a desert island :smallbiggrin:

That is totally what I was thinking.

Already our minds are becoming one.

Skippy
2008-05-21, 08:16 AM
I think I'd take a volleyball.

Felixaar
2008-05-21, 11:46 PM
Rachel. Or failing that, a shark-bear.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-22, 02:09 AM
Most likely there'l be a good food source(if not fishing, which is almost always available).
I'd want either a person or a set :
Tolkien, alive and healthy forever. Imagine the disccussions! He could write on!(There are always trees and plants we can make paper of)
or
Laptop with unlimited satelite internet acces and a solar cell charger.

FdL
2008-05-22, 07:04 AM
Hmmm, trying to decide between these answers:

1) [insert generic techie/survivalist best pragmatic choice for survival]

2) [insert romantic/imaginative choice with emotional reasons explained too]

3) [insert rant about pointlessness of this excercise, bringing hard facts that deny the likelyhood of the scenario]

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-22, 07:30 AM
I'd go with 1 or 2 (I think everyone is aware that this is an unlikely scenario. At least I hope they do.:smallbiggrin:)

Agamid
2008-05-22, 09:57 AM
I'd take this beautiful creature
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs27/300W/i/2008/101/4/f/Avarice_in_detail____002_by_Armenius.jpg
or failing that... my little bother, he's so full of quotes and funny voices and spontaneity that he'd keep me amused for hours on end.

Jack Squat
2008-05-22, 10:29 AM
3) [insert rant about pointlessness of this excercise, bringing hard facts that deny the likelyhood of the scenario]

It's not a pointless exercise, the point of this is for you to choose that one item you can't live without. Incidentally, when this is done on large scale, most people choose a toothbrush...hygeine over survival I guess.

We all know it's an unlikely scenario, but it's a little more imaginative than "choose one thing that's most important to you," although a little less effective (I can't say I consider my knife most important to me).

Tamburlaine
2008-05-22, 02:00 PM
A Tardis. Or failing that, a huge and well stocked library. Books are, I think, the one thing I simply could not live without.
Ooh, even better: a green lantern power ring! Then I could create anything else I might need/want.

PhallicWarrior
2008-05-22, 08:42 PM
I'd take my pseudogirlfriend, Amanda, assuming there are sufficient supplies of food for both of us. If not, the previously mentioned kukri.

someonenonotyou
2008-05-22, 09:45 PM
a roll of everlasting duct tape cause duct tape can do anything

Vella_Malachite
2008-05-22, 10:01 PM
A swiss army knife. I'm sure I could find something to do with those implements that no-one knows what they're for. Toothbrushes can be made from a chewed stick.

But...my books...I couldn't live without reading...

FdL
2008-05-22, 10:25 PM
Ok, then I'd take a computer with internet connection.

Nychta
2008-05-23, 12:13 AM
Either duct tape or Kaboose.
Because we will debate ourselves to death there. A computer would be good, but you can't yell at a computer.

thubby
2008-05-23, 12:16 AM
an open sea ready 1 man sailboat, with necessary ropes, hooks, etc.

poleboy
2008-05-23, 01:30 AM
A Hebrew dictionary so I can curse God for putting me on a deserted island in his language of preference.

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-23, 03:16 AM
Sexy woman.

With a remote control.

Thufir
2008-05-23, 05:40 AM
I would say my present romantic interest, but then I realised, as Trog also pointed out, that it would be rather selfish of me. Unless she was also stranded anyway, then I'm sure she'd rather be stranded with me than stranded alone. But assuming I'm the only one stranded unless I choose to take someone with me...

I rather like Tamburlaine's library idea. For preference, it would be stocked with books to my particular tastes, of course. For other stuff, I could make a decent enough chess set, and my favourite musical instrument is my voice, so that's fine (And hopefully the library would contain some decent sheet music).

Bookman
2008-05-23, 06:16 AM
One book: How to Escape a Desert Island with only this Book (:tongue: It's the "YAY I'M SAVED" method AND silly)

I don't know in reality. It'd probably be something useful I've learned to use to survive through the years.

Ossian
2008-05-23, 07:46 AM
Hey everyone. Thinking of classic British Radio programme, Desert Island Discs, I wondered, what would I take with me on a desert island, assuming I was stranded. Then, I thought, what would you guys take.

So: Assuming you are stranded on a desert island, with one set of clothes, fresh water, and food supplies, what one object, person, or animal would you take with you? It has to be one thing, unless the thing you are bringing doesn't work unless it's in a full set, or consists of multiple small parts. It should be fairly obvious what I mean. It is unclear when, if ever, you will be rescued, please note.

So, what would you guys bring with you?

Person: yes, there is one person I would`t mind getting stranded on an island with. But I love her, so I wouldn´t inflict the pain of being stranded for god knows how long. If it were a fictional person, yay, elf sorceress scantily dressed for the win (under the effects of a charme spell, made permanent).
(and let us not forget birth control stuff here...)

Object: a kukri, too, and I am trading the animal for a stone which enables to sharpen the kukri. As much as it is useful, after months of usage it gets dull just like every other blade.

(we are assuming the island is like the garden of eden right? not some god forsaken sterile rock with a volcano in the middle...)

Hazkali
2008-05-23, 08:20 AM
Hmm...the Irony in this is that if this was using the real Desert Island Discs rules, I wouldn't need to choose anything; I've always wanted the time alone to completely read the Bible and the works of Shakespeare, so I'd be sorted.

From a "real life" perspective I'd definitely want a good, multi-purpose knife; not original, I know, but a necessity. Following that, a large stock of medicines and pharmaceuticals to cover most eventualities- and definitely parasites :smalleek:.

For an idealised island in a vaccum*, I'd take a large supply of ginger beer. Enid Blyton has taught me an adventure is not and adventure without ginger beer! Of course, I now live my life by the corollary that if I drink enough ginger beer, then my life is a continual adventure**.

* Sorry, bad physics joke.
** This is true, depending on the amount of spirit you put in the ginger beer.

Zeful
2008-05-23, 01:10 PM
This (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/desktoppics/Starbridge(1280x1024).jpg), or maybe a hatchet of some kind.

Telonius
2008-05-23, 03:41 PM
I'm going back and forth between sunscreen, and a towel.

Copacetic
2008-05-23, 03:57 PM
A Combination Hatchet/Knife/Shovel. Make myself a hut, and use aforementioned clean food and water supply to retire before I ever started working and spend the rest of my life fishing. Or take up carpentry and build myself a giant hut mansion.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-23, 07:13 PM
A knife, rope, hammer, nails. (For the best fort you'll ever see) A fishing rod, a huge stack of notebooks, all the new 4e books, my ipod, Beowulf in English and Anglo Saxon, dice, and an everlasting pen. And you can bet that I will have created the best DnD campaign you will ever see :smallbiggrin:

Raiser Blade
2008-05-23, 07:45 PM
I was going to say my ipod but then I realized the batteries would run out and then no more Journey for me.

So I would probably bring a guitar and practice until I got really good.