PDA

View Full Version : The Game: Playgrounders Vs. a Space Marine

Zeful
2008-05-21, 10:21 PM
I've been reading the various Warhammer 40k threads and came up with this. It will be interesting to see what others say.

The situation:
You receive a letter one day, typed on it is the following:
Welcome, your name has been drawn for The Game. You cannot turn down this invitation as your opponent has already been brought to your planet. The Game is about survival, and the only way to win is to bring about the premature death of your opponent. There are only two rules to the game.
1. You are not to contact your local police force or military powers about The Game.
2. If you win you are to destroy your opponent's body and gear.
If you win you will be awarded 50,000 units of your local currency. Your death will result in your opponent's return to their homeworld.
Have a nice day.

The parameters of the challenge are as follows:

1. For the purposes of this thread Warhammer 40k as both a novel or wargame don't exist.
2. The Space Marine is equipped with the following: 1 heavy bolter, 1 chain sword, Generic Power Armor.
3. You are not capable of using any of the Space Marine's equipment should you capture it.
4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is. You are both given very big hints, but nothing truly concrete (so in fact you could be hunting someone else entirely).
5. Most importantly, for the purposes of this thread, you do not have infinite time. There is a 30 day time period before both combatants are vaporised.

So, think you can win? If you can, explain how.

Destro_Yersul
2008-05-21, 10:37 PM
I don't think anyone could win. Nothing we've got right now has any chance of actually hurting the Marine, for one thing.

Terraoblivion
2008-05-21, 10:46 PM
I am pretty sure most of our heavy military ordinance would. I mean the kind of stuff that can sink battleships and aircraft carriers with a single hit. And a nuke would definitely do it if he is at point blank, not even the most extreme descriptions of space marines i have seen would walk unscathed from that and if they could their own bolters would be useless against them. But nothing any of us could feasibly get our hands on could scratch the space marine.

Echowinds
2008-05-21, 10:59 PM
I don't even think you need a nuke. A bunker buster on a direct hit should be enough to blow apart the marine. I mean, some of those can blow through 6 meters of hardened concrete.

Zeful
2008-05-21, 11:06 PM
That may be true but how are you going to get your hands on one?

evisiron
2008-05-21, 11:17 PM
Are we talking about one of the common-sense flaunting marines who walks around without a helmet? If so, there is a sliver of a chance with a decent rifle...

(Assuming you can distract him long enough to get such a shot without him destroying you with half a breath)

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-21, 11:18 PM
Indeed. The weapon with the more firepower you can "easily" put your hands on (in the USA, which is pretty heavy. Over here in Canada, I would not dream of trying) would be some sort of heavy shotguns. And that would, at best, dent the ennemy's armor.

I guess if I managed to lure the opponent inside a trap, like making a building crumble over him (I'm pretty sure 50000 tons of material would kill a space marine), I would have a shot..

but they darn better make it 50 000 gold ingots rather than 50 000 CAD!

AslanCross
2008-05-21, 11:26 PM
Nothing in the Philippines can hurt a Space Marine. We have no Main Battle Tanks (that are still operational), no heavy ordnance, and almost all of our local arsenal is Vietnam War surplus.

Furthermore, I would not do it for 50,000 Php. <_< That's only around US $1162. Any injuries I will most likely incur will cost much more than that to correct, assuming I survive and win.

Echowinds
2008-05-21, 11:29 PM
I am pretty sure with enough money, you can get RPGs and stuff from the black market in the States.

With a lucky shot you just might able to incapicitate a Space Marine. I seriously doubt a RPG round can blow them up though, since from what I know, they are closer to mini-tanks.

Rutee
2008-05-21, 11:32 PM
Just gimme the prototype Enryu the Japanese are building (I know that bitch has the Funnel prototypes the US and Japan are working on. I refuse to believe they constructed a giant robot and didn't arm it.) and I'll win with genre savviness and reflexes honed by years of video games.

Zeful
2008-05-21, 11:32 PM
Envisron: For the purposes of this thread, whichever is more advantegous to your survival.

Solka: Dropping a building (something the size of a major hotel might work) on the marine might work. Did I said local currency. If you can kill the SM near Fort Knox...

Aslan Cross: You are not limited to just your home country/ country of residence.

Rutee: Japan's building a Giant Mech? That's... interesting.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-21, 11:33 PM
God dammit, I lost.

Oh. Wrong game. I lost anyway.

Terraoblivion
2008-05-21, 11:33 PM
RPGs can destroy tanks though. Of course not get them to blow up because apart from explosives, rocket fuel and a few other things most things simply don't blow up. In fact RPGs are the primary way of getting tanks to blow up...i would prefer trying to steal a Leopard tank though. The army here has several and i only need to move about 50 miles to get to where they are. I have no clue about how to use one though.

chiasaur11
2008-05-21, 11:36 PM
Hmm.
No information, he's planning for a MUCH deadlier foe, and I can't...
Wait.
All you have to do is hope he landed in North Korea.
He doesn't know me from Adam, and he's in a nuke happy dictatorship. There are a number of ways to survive. All rely on him ticking off a major military before finding me.

Echowinds
2008-05-21, 11:38 PM
I think the Space Marine suit is made of unobtainium, which means it likely won't do a whole lot of damage against the suit, since it's tougher than whatever we are making our tanks in the modern world. A blow on the head or some other weak spot might be able to kill him though.

As for operating a tank, I seriously doubt the Space Marine would just sit there and let you shoot him. Furthermore, I think you need another person to actually aim and shoot the main gun. And since a Space Marine would move super fast and has futuristic weapons, he can just shoot your tank or something and blow it up.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-21, 11:43 PM
Solka: Dropping a building (something the size of a major hotel might work) on the marine might work. Did I said local currency. If you can kill the SM near Fort Knox...

Can I have the 50 000 gold ingots before killing him? I'll use 1 to buy the means, and I'll simply have the other 49 999 drop on him at once. That ough to crush him to a pulp

Echowinds
2008-05-21, 11:44 PM
Is the Space Marine vulnerable to any biological weapons?

Zeful
2008-05-21, 11:45 PM
The Space Marine also knows of The Game and hasn't simply killed himself or the entity that plucked him out of battle with whoever.

And aren't space marine suits made of ceramics, really freaking hard ceramics? I can't recall at the moment.

Vulnerabilty to biological weapons: Are they vulnerable to them in cannon?

And the money is the "win" reward.

AslanCross
2008-05-22, 12:06 AM
Aslan Cross: You are not limited to just your home country/ country of residence.

While this may be the case, the resources it would take me to leave and go to a more conducive environment will likely be worth more than the prize. The closest nation with advanced weaponry is Singapore, which is around 10,000 Php away (on a good day).
That's not so bad, but I'll have to go up against the Singaporean Armed Forces if I want to get my hands on any heavy weaponry there.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-22, 12:12 AM
Yes I can win. Sure the plastic sword might cut my foot but it's well worth 50,000 dollars to crush a plastic miniature with my foot...Now if it's one of those fancy pewter miniatures I might have some trouble...only until I get my steel toed boots or a bolt-cutter though. :smalltongue:

averagejoe
2008-05-22, 12:25 AM
I would invite him to a fancy dinner party, slip poison in his glass when no one's looking, then propose a toast. :smallwink:

Subtlety ftw!

Echowinds
2008-05-22, 12:30 AM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Space Marines can't be poisoned.

Also, I am pretty sure he might find you too Chaotic or not adequatly following the Emperor, which will lead to a very quick and bloody death for you.

averagejoe
2008-05-22, 12:39 AM
D'oh!

What would be so chaotic or not following the emporer about me? I would, naturally, use something tasteless like a dead baby joke.

Hrm... so much for that. Lucky for me, I have a backup plan. I would plan the food in such a way that it would give him severe heartburn. I would then give him some Nexium, except I would extract the medicine from the pills and replace it with nitroglycerine. It's foolproof.

Solo
2008-05-22, 12:53 AM
I am pretty sure with enough money, you can get RPGs and stuff from the black market in the States.

In real life, unlike in Hollywood, criminals are commonly armed with black market pistols. Occasionally, black market assault rifles. Never black market anti-tank weaponry.

4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is.

Hmm... how about the giant in an ungodly suit of battle armor with a huge ass gun and a chainsaw sword?

I find this thread to be ridiculous. Everyone knows you can't win the Game...

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 01:04 AM
Well, first off, talk to some of my military buddies, acquire some 50 pound cratering charges (50 pound man portable demo charge that can disintegrate a Bradley) get my hands on either a Barret light .50 or a Chey Tac Intervention (easy as going to a southern shooting range and saying please).
Second, find the marine.
Thirdly, put a round between his helmet and his chest piece, right into the little neck seal. Not even a space marine can live sans windpipe and spine, or if he's some SMurf captain, shoot him in the forhead.
Forth, take a cratering charge, and de-limb him, destroying his gear.
Finally, grab his bolter, sell it to the Army for a contract worth waaaaaay more than 50,000 US dollars.

warty goblin
2008-05-22, 01:09 AM
Hmm, most powerful weapon I'm able to get my hands on in a hurry is an SKS (fires same round as a Kalishnakov). Tragically it is clearly unable to damage a space marine, even if I could hit with it, which I can't. It's also only semi-auto, compared to the burst firing bolter of the Marine. Yep, I'm screwed. On the upside, I might be able to scratch his armor enough to warrent a new paint job...

Echowinds
2008-05-22, 01:10 AM
In real life, unlike in Hollywood, criminals are commonly armed with black market pistols. Occasionally, black market assault rifles. Never black market anti-tank weaponry.

Criminals aren't commonly armed with anti-tank weaponry because it's not easy to conceal, there's no tanks to blow up, and generally lack of a use for them. However, that does not mean they couldn't get it, if they could get assault rifles in the first place.

Squidmaster
2008-05-22, 01:17 AM
There is no way I could kill a space marine in 30 days. I would have a better chance if the game was:
1) Hide for thirty days, then you win.
2) The space marine knows who you are.
3) the space marine knows your general area (such as your town of residence) but not the areas layout.
4) The space marine is 30 mile away, and not targeted by the military, nor is he noticed by the general public.

I could survive this, maybe, if I hid in the Santa Cruz mountains and kept moving, hoping the trees and terrain would slow him. I would say 50/50 chance.

Bavarian itP
2008-05-22, 01:18 AM
I would plan the food in such a way that it would give him severe heartburn.

Then he would use one of his other hearts :smallbiggrin:

I would team up with the SM and hunt down whoever is going to vaporise us in 30 days.

poleboy
2008-05-22, 01:19 AM
1. For the purposes of this thread Warhammer 40k as both a novel or wargame don't exist.

I don't get this. Does this mean that you can't use the WH40K canon?
Because in that case I will just yell at him very loudly and cause his bones to shatter.
Prove to me that can't be done without referencing the books or the wargame. :smallamused:

SoD
2008-05-22, 01:35 AM
Simple. As soon as he sees me, he'd be dazzled by my superior fashion sense, and cool shades. He would be so ashamed of what he was wearing that he would submit defeat, and beg to be trained in the art of hawaain shirts, cool hats and thongs.

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 02:17 AM
Because in that case I will just yell at him very loudly and cause his bones to shatter.
Prove to me that can't be done without referencing the books or the wargame. :smallamused:

I concur, if this is the case then we would have no idea what a space marine is either, we'd just assume a starcraft grunt and breathe a sigh of relief, seeing as how you can kill one of them with a LAW pretty quickly.

Ganurath
2008-05-22, 02:23 AM
First thing I'd do is head over to my friend's house who's uncles own 40+ guns and stock up like Neo and Trinity did before rescuing Morpheus in the first movie. Then, I'd watch the news for their activity, as anyone foreign to the planet would make themselves apparent, especially a space marine. Then, I'd hunt them down, with my features hidden enough that he wouldn't recognize me. Making myself look anything other than a lanky concentration camper that kept their hair would do the trick. I'd hire a hobbo to approach and ask questions inanely and repeatedly, providing a distraction for me to approach and fire a shotgun shell into the base of his neck.

Studoku
2008-05-22, 02:28 AM
I would get a boat and hide on the water, then wait for the marine. When he comes, I try and destroy his boat.

It's still a low chance and it hinges on the marine not being able to swim in armour (does anyone know if they can?)

bladedSmoke
2008-05-22, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't bother.

I mean, seriously. Me, vs a freakin' Space Marine? I wouldn't stand a chance, especially since I wouldn't know where to start if I tried to get hold of a gun over the black market. It would be ridiculous, I'd have to resort to trying to hit him with a shovel.

So, yeah. I'd just live my last 30 days as best I could, and then get vaporised by some cruel unknown force. Quite depressing really. And I wouldn't get the 50,000, but it's not worth it in the first place - I can go on Who Wants to be a Millionaire and get 20 times that amount without the risk of insta-death headshot kaboom.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it meant every single Playgrounder, all together, facing off against a single Space Marine. Now, I reckon we actually could've stood a chance there (with preparation, of course).

EDIT: Also, we seriously get this as a letter in the post? Now you see, I think everyone on this forum would just discount it as a wierd hoax, and not actually try to get hold of weapons/run for the hills. Anyone who got this letter and believed it would probably safer off in a padded cell somewhere.

Child Conscript
2008-05-22, 03:06 AM
One word. . .C4. . .God I spend far to much time playing BF2 |:3

Echowinds
2008-05-22, 03:24 AM
I seriously doubt any explosives short of stuff that is capable of blowing up a tank could take out a Space Marine. The various sniper rifles and shot gun attempts are not going to work either.

Remember, that guy has superhuman reflexes, strength, constitution, and redundant organs. He's also equipped with power armor. He also likely to lived a long time with lots of battle experiences against the vast amount of horrors that exists in Warhammer 40k. If a well-trained Imperial Guardsman couldn't hope to take out a Space Marine, a regular joe isn't going to. The only advantage is that you can hide better than he can, because he's really big and obvious.

So yes, "not going to bother" is the best choice.

Child Conscript
2008-05-22, 03:34 AM
hmmm. . .Very true. . .sounds like a no win situation. . .oh well back to "Battle Royale"

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-22, 03:42 AM
I lure him to a precarious wooden structure dangling off a cliff (a la HL2:Lost Coast), with, I dunno, a primarch-based trinket. He steps onto said structure. He falls.

Solo
2008-05-22, 03:45 AM
Criminals aren't commonly armed with anti-tank weaponry because it's not easy to conceal, there's no tanks to blow up, and generally lack of a use for them. However, that does not mean they couldn't get it, if they could get assault rifles in the first place.

You've been playing too much GTA.

THE BLACK MARKET DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! :smallyuk:

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I googled "Criminals, anti-tank weaponry", and turned up a news article about how Florida police seized an "anti-tank" weapon from a gang.

The weapon in question was a PIAT (projector infantry anti-tank). The weapon has been obsolete since 1951 or '52. It was pretty innaffective and unreliable even during and after WWII.

And they didn't have the ammo for it, cause it was, you know, obsolete. So in essence, all they has was a steel tube.

To be fair, around the world, there are a lot of people in possession of heavy ordinance that shouldn't have it, but there is little to no evidence this problem exists in the US, so it makes no sense to venerate the concept of a black market that can magically smuggle anything from rocket launchers to mini-guns past security checkpoints and into criminal hands whenever they want more dakka.

You know, if you decide to continue this, could you please give me more of an argument than "Well, I think they could do it", as, let's face it, that is not very convincing. Surely you have some facts to back up this opinion of your's?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-22, 04:54 AM
You've been playing too much GTA.

THE BLACK MARKET DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! :smallyuk:

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I googled "Criminals, anti-tank weaponry", and turned up a news article about how Florida police seized an "anti-tank" weapon from a gang.

The weapon in question was a PIAT (projector infantry anti-tank). The weapon has been obsolete since 1951 or '52. It was pretty innaffective and unreliable even during and after WWII.

And they didn't have the ammo for it, cause it was, you know, obsolete. So in essence, all they has was a steel tube.

To be fair, around the world, there are a lot of people in possession of heavy ordinance that shouldn't have it, but there is little to no evidence this problem exists in the US, so it makes no sense to venerate the concept of a black market that can magically smuggle anything from rocket launchers to mini-guns past security checkpoints and into criminal hands whenever they want more dakka.

You know, if you decide to continue this, could you please give me more of an argument than "Well, I think they could do it", as, let's face it, that is not very convincing. Surely you have some facts to back up this opinion of your's?

I don't know, you could bash someone with a steel tube pretty nastily.

Also, re:criminals wielding heavy weapons: the Real IRA were toting, and I quote:

Semtex and C-4 plastic explosives, SAM7 surface-to-air missiles, AK-47s, rocket launchers, heavy machine guns, sniper rifles, pistols with silencers, anti-tank weapons and detonators.

They could indeed take down a space marine, IMO.

Solo
2008-05-22, 04:57 AM
Also, re:criminals wielding heavy weapons: the Real IRA were toting, and I quote:

IIRC, the IRA operates in Ireland, which, unless America has started expanding its boarders again, is in Not-America.

Also, I suppose it didn't hurt that the IRA got Lybia to sell them weapons during the Cold War, and support from Irish Americans who smuggled them guns.

Criminals here (IN AMERICA!) generally don't get that sort of stuff, as it is either too hard to come by, or the authorities manage to intercept it.

I suppose we could always lure the SMurf over to the Emerald Isles and let nature take its course. Dunno if it'd count as a victory for GitP though.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-22, 05:05 AM
IIRC, the IRA operates in Ireland, which, unless America has started expanding its boarders again, is in Not-America.

Also, I suppose it didn't hurt that the IRA got Soviet backing during the Cold War (supposedly).

Criminals here (IN AMERICA!) generally don't get that sort of stuff, as it is either too hard to come by, or the authorities manage to intercept.

The OP didn't specify America, and the Real IRA certainly operates in more places than Ireland.

Solo
2008-05-22, 05:08 AM
The OP didn't specify America, and the Real IRA certainly operates in more places than Ireland.

Yes, but the argument was about the American black market, iirc.

The IRA might operate in more places than Ireland, but as far as armed struggle goes, I think that part of their operation is confined to Ireland.

Haruspex
2008-05-22, 05:18 AM
I've been reading the various Warhammer 40k threads and came up with this. It will be interesting to see what others say.

The situation:
You receive a letter one day, typed on it is the following:
Welcome, your name has been drawn for The Game. You cannot turn down this invitation as your opponent has already been brought to your planet. The Game is about survival, and the only way to win is to bring about the premature death of your opponent. There are only two rules to the game.
1. You are not to contact your local police force or military powers about The Game.
2. If you win you are to destroy your opponent's body and gear.
If you win you will be awarded 50,000 units of your local currency. Your death will result in your opponent's return to their homeworld.
Have a nice day.

The parameters of the challenge are as follows:

2. The Space Marine is equipped with the following: 1 heavy bolter, 1 chain sword, Generic Power Armor.
3. You are not capable of using any of the Space Marine's equipment should you capture it.
4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is. You are both given very big hints, but nothing truly concrete (so in fact you could be hunting someone else entirely).
5. Most importantly, for the purposes of this thread, you do not have infinite time. There is a 30 day time period before both combatants are vaporised.

So, think you can win? If you can, explain how.

Basically you've been made a character in Saw 40,000: Death by Space Marine. Maybe he'll be nice and kill you quick. The next game involves waking up to find yourself chained to a rabid, completely healthy, yet bad-tempered adult bear. Think you can win? If you can, explain how. :smallamused:

The answer to the OP question is no. We don't know who the target is, or what we'll need to fight said target. It's not a challenge or a game at all. Has it really come to this?

Echowinds
2008-05-22, 05:21 AM
Of course there isn't a whole lot of heavy weapons in the US black market, because there isn't a market for them. The only use for heavy weapons is to blow up heavy vehicles and buildings, which not many criminals would do anyways. Most firearms they want is to kill other people, not blow up stuff. If you rob a bank, you don't bring RPGs. In gang fights, you don't bring rockets. Most of those criminal activities could be done with a pistol/shotgun, which could be easily acquired in the US, or the odd assault rifle.

Really, the whole point is "with enough money". If you pay a mob enough money to bring you AT weaponry, it's very likely they could get one from the war-plagued regions, shipped it to America like they do with drugs/regular firearms. If those can get in, I see no reason why AT weaponry could not be theorectically shipped in. Heck, bigger things are shipped past borders all the time, including human beings. Remember, there's still a lot of potent late cold-war weapons left over by the Soviet Union, which includes a bunch of heavy personal weapons. I am not saying there's a lot of heavy ordinance around in the US, but rather the point that it won't be impossible to acquire some if you have the money to do so.

Solo
If you can, explain how.:smallamused:

I reach into my belt for my bear repellent spray of course!

Doesn't everyone carry one with them?

Really, the whole point is "with enough money". If you pay a mob enough money to bring you AT weaponry, it's very likely they could get one from the war-plagued regions, shipped it to America like they do with drugs/regular firearms. If those can get in, I see no reason why AT weaponry could not be theorectically shipped in. Heck, bigger things are shipped past borders all the time, including human beings. Remember, there's still a lot of potent late cold-war weapons left over by the Soviet Union, which includes a bunch of heavy personal weapons. I am not saying there's a lot of heavy ordinance around in the US, but rather the point that it won't be impossible to acquire some if you have the money to do so.
That's certainly harder to disprove, as anything is theoretically possible, but the likelihood would, in my personal opinion, be low due to this sort of thing not having happened before.

You'd think Al Quaeda would have tried to buy RPGs and heavy machine guns with which to attack something important in the US if that was the case.

Or maybe they're doing so now?

But that (and the entire discussion about how criminals could theoretically smuggle heavy ordinance into the country if paid enough somehow) is purely hypothetical, and detracts from reality.

If someone actually managed to have a gang smuggle an RPG in from Somalia, I'd be impressed, but the Feds generally notice you if you try and do that sort of thing.

That and there's the problem of having contacts abroad. It's not like all the world's criminal organizations are buddy buddy with your friendly neighborhood hoodlums.

Rutee
Rutee: Japan's building a Giant Mech? That's... interesting.

Yeah, it's for use in rescue operations. No srsly. I just refuse to believe that it isn't armed. Because really, it's Japan. Also I'm really just a taller child.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-22, 05:23 AM
I reach into my belt for my bear repellent spray of course!

Doesn't everyone carry one with them?

No, because you are limited to a maximum of 3 high-level repellent sprays known carried, remember?

poleboy
2008-05-22, 05:34 AM
I would like to point out again that according to the OP, everything you think you know about space marines is basically hearsay. For all you know, your opponent is a sailor on LSD. The words space marine are meaningless if the WH40K material does not exist.

Haruspex
2008-05-22, 05:38 AM
I would like to point out again that according to the OP, everything you think you know about space marines is basically hearsay. For all you know, your opponent is a sailor on LSD. The words space marine are meaningless if the WH40K material does not exist.

Actually the OP said that the novels and wargames don't exist. So we still have the CCGs, comic books, and Dawn Of War to reference off. Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Smeik
2008-05-22, 05:39 AM
He does not have a Jump pack, does he?

If so, you should try to get him on (or even better, underneath) an aircraft, fly him over the ocean and drop him. And then you have to wait till he drowns. Hopefully.

Only problem is: Where to get the aircraft and how to lure the space marine near it...

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-22, 05:43 AM

EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD IS A LIE.
:smallwink:

Rutee
2008-05-22, 05:45 AM
Only problem is: Where to get the aircraft and how to lure the space marine near it...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:brnfoBAdOLWYsM:http://atkinsfarms.com/store/media/cake-8inch.jpg?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-22, 05:46 AM
I would post here to let all the playgrounders look out for him. And toghetter we, 20.000 people from the playground would play pile-on with him, with him at the bottom and then he would die.

So.

We.
win.

poleboy
2008-05-22, 05:50 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:brnfoBAdOLWYsM:http://atkinsfarms.com/store/media/cake-8inch.jpg?

THE CAKE IS A LIE! SO ARE SPACE MARINES!

LBO
2008-05-22, 05:58 AM
Actually the OP said that the novels and wargames don't exist. So we still have the CCGs, comic books, and Dawn Of War to reference off. Yay! :smallbiggrin:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1456502/images/1207144459700.jpg
SPEHSS MUHREENS!

Ecalsneerg
2008-05-22, 06:01 AM

Loopholes FTW

Right, I live in Scotland on a student's income. Therefore I'm in a country where I can't get a gun (I have no military or criminal contacts) nor can I afford to leave it. But since I'll die if I don't break it, the law is my b****.

So to beat this marine I'll need to do the 'Doctor Who' and jury-rig something to beat it. Yes, beat the unstoppable high-tech superhuman footsoldier as if from Hell using scrap metal.

I need to get this Marine a message to ensure he has his helmet off. Insult him, make him do the honourable thing and face his enemy.

Now, I need to rig some sort of catapult to fire shrapnel at his head. Trouble is, I'll get one shot tops, even with concealment. I can't make a weapon that can outshoot a bolter, so I need to headshot him first try. I'll of course be staging the fight somewhere dramatic, like a castle up in the Highlands so I have minimal fortifications. If I miss, I dive for cover and run. I know the terrain, with a miracle I can get out of there. Leaving my webcam broadcasting my adversary to all international governments. Seriously, how is he not a threat to every country on the planet? Now hopefully I have the support of a couple of countries but, knowing them, they'll fight him head on, and they will be slaughtered. Hopefully I can convince them otherwise, but when push comes to shove all I need if a load of armoured air vehicles and missiles, bombs, etc etc. Get a group of people and we fight him from all directions at once. If that doesn't work, I'll concede defeat.

LBO
2008-05-22, 06:04 AM
I need to get this Marine a message to ensure he has his helmet off. Insult him, make him do the honourable thing and face his enemy.
Or...

Works?

Ecalsneerg
2008-05-22, 06:10 AM
"Here... have some cake..." *takes off helmet* *SHRAPNEL FACE*

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-22, 06:24 AM
Only way I can see of winning? Get him to chase me through a populated area, causing mayhem (bound to happen sooner or later) and wait for the RAF to arrive with their air-to-surface missiles.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-22, 06:42 AM
How I would defeat a Space Marine?

"Excuse me sir, I want to join the Imperial Guard."

This would of course, devastate him. After all, all the kids and wanna-bes ask to be Space Marines. They probably have a long list of insults, taunts and mocking responses to when someone asks to join the Space Marines.

Nobody *wants* to join the Guard. It would crush his spirit utterly. He might even cry inside his helmet. He would start to doubt his own awesomeness and ask why I wanted to join the Guard and not the Space Marines. I would tell him that while the Marines were incredible and had really nice equipment, it just seems sort of sad and pathetic to go around in full body power armor. It's a lot more manly to wear next to nothing and still go hand to hand with a Tyranid or Daemon and kick it's arse. The Guard - now that's manly! Then I'd pat the Marine on the shoulder and say, not that you guys don't have really nice and shiny equipment.... it's just that I would rather show the Xenos scum that I am superior to them without a lot of fancy toys.

The Space Marine would then no doubt kill himself out of grief and shame. :smallbiggrin:

Oslecamo
2008-05-22, 06:56 AM
In the WH40k universe, the army chooses you!

Space marines need to be recruited from a very tender age(around 10 years old) so all the implants and genetic manipulations can be correctly made, and the recruits need to be compatible with the gene seed, and gene seed is scarce. So it's the SM themselves that search and choose new recruits.

And even then, very few people actually know that the SM exist at all. There's not really newspapers or an internet system conecting the galaxy, and there are less SM than there are planets under the Emperium's control. And since the SM are used mainly as an elite strike force against enemy infested worlds, there really aren't many commoner witness to their acts.

So if you give any hint that you know what a SM is, chances is that you'll be deemed an heretic spy and shot in the place.

Solo
2008-05-22, 07:06 AM
And even then, very few people actually know that the SM exist at all. There's not really newspapers or an internet system conecting the galaxy, and there are less SM than there are planets under the Emperium's control.
Anyone who knows about the Emperor will have heard about his Sons, the Primarchs, and their legions of Space Marines, I would assume.

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-22, 07:10 AM
Anyone who knows about the Emperor will have heard about his Sons, the Primarchs, and their legions of Space Marines, I would assume.

Yes, they know the god, his archangels, the traitor angel and his angels of death.

SPACE MARINES? Not so much.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-22, 07:20 AM
Please. Nobody remembers Alien 3? Lure the loser into a furnace or use one of those new Power suits that have been recently launched into the market. They're stronger than a space marine's punch, so both of those ideas would work.

PS: I'm serious about the power suits. They multiply your strength by orders of magnitude, to a superhero level, and they exist.

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 07:32 AM
Hmm, you know, I think I have the easy win to this, presuming he can find me I just drive 2 hours to south central LA, wait for him to step on the wrong mans Pumas, and take cover. I'm pretty sure that a few building would be ash by the time it's over, but every Cryp, Blood, and cop in L.A. ought to be able to take down a lone SMurf. Hell, after the body count moves into the triple digits the national guard will be called out, and they have the firepower to end him if the sheer volume of fire hasn't already done the job.

Oslecamo
2008-05-22, 07:37 AM
PS: I'm serious about the power suits. They multiply your strength by orders of magnitude, to a superhero level, and they exist.

Link please, then.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-22, 07:39 AM
Lookin' for it, but if it seems unbelieveable, remember someone invented the Skycar.

http://www.cojoweb.com/skycar_i-1_B_L.jpg

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 07:43 AM
Please. Nobody remembers Alien 3? Lure the loser into a furnace or use one of those new Power suits that have been recently launched into the market. They're stronger than a space marine's punch, so both of those ideas would work.

thankyou captain overstatement... that powersuit your talking about looks a bit like a Caterpillar tractor with arms, watch as the marine steps to the left of the machine, and shoots the operator in the head...

And the skycar doesn't work. It's aerodynamically unstable and no one but the millitary can afford the fly by wire systems needed to make it work, that project died on it's ass three years ago man.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-22, 07:46 AM
thankyou captain overstatement... that powersuit your talking about looks a bit like a Caterpillar tractor with arms, watch as the marine steps to the left of the machine, and shoots the operator in the head...

And the skycar doesn't work. It's aerodynamically unstable and no one but the millitary can afford the fly by wire systems needed to make it work, that project died on it's ass three years ago man.

Nope, the powersuit looks more like a steel ladder around your arms and legs + an iron backpack.

And if you think the skycar doesn't work, tellat to the new version. And there are even crazier things out there, like a hovercraft that can jump 130' up in the air.

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 07:50 AM
oh, you are referring to the powersuit that cannot run untethered to a power source. And did you hear about the toaster that shoots lasers? Or any number of other unsubstantiated claims that i can throw in a post with no factual backup.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-22, 08:03 AM
oh, you are referring to the powersuit that cannot run untethered to a power source. And did you hear about the toaster that shoots lasers? Or any number of other unsubstantiated claims that i can throw in a post with no factual backup.

Read up science mags. There's your facts.

leperkhaun
2008-05-22, 08:38 AM
as an aircraft maintanier, does this mean i get my f-16 to use?

Oslecamo
2008-05-22, 08:44 AM
Lookin' for it, but if it seems unbelieveable, remember someone invented the Skycar.

Eeerrr, chopters and planes have existed for decades. Flying personal machines aren't anything new. The Sky car is fancy, but in no way economically viable, and an helicopter does 99% of the jobs better.

Mechanized land armors, now that's something new.

Altough there are worlds of diference between "cost effective machine" and "fancy prototype wich doesn't really has any good use".

Remember, for each great discovery in history there are thousands of failures that are quickly forgoten.

Haruspex
2008-05-22, 09:11 AM
I read the yahoo news report on the powersuit. Interesting, but you're better off with a really big gun than trying to take on a Space Marine in that. The operator stated that there's a lag in the movement, so your reflexes will be completely shot. Not a big deal when you're lifting weights, but in melee it's a killer.

Verruckt
2008-05-22, 09:23 AM
And remember, Popular Mechanics does not a respected scientific text make...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-22, 09:27 AM
I iz calling doctar Mcninja!

chiasaur11
2008-05-22, 09:42 AM
I iz calling doctar Mcninja!

Okay, THAT would give you the win.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-22, 09:45 AM
You'd think Al Quaeda would have tried to buy RPGs and heavy machine guns with which to attack something important in the US if that was the case.

I do not think you are quite right Mr Awesome Solo. It's just that I'm pretty sure that Al Qaeda cells lucky ennough to have infiltrated America:

1- Would risk smuggling anti-tank weaponry; too much chance to draw attention on them by the Feds
2- Would have any use for anti-tank weaponry. Any terrorist attack they plan would involve killing a damnload of civilians, and maybe blowing some real estate. You might kill 4-5 people with an anti-tank weapon, a max of 15 person if you target a filled bus (maybe more if you target a school bus), but there are easier way to do it without having to go trough point 1.

So, it's not a question that "if it was possible, it would have been done", but it's just that anti-tank weaponry is simply not usefull, outside killing tanks. Civilian don't often go fight tanks. /argument

Solo
2008-05-22, 10:09 AM
I do not think you are quite right Mr Awesome Solo. It's just that I'm pretty sure that Al Qaeda cells lucky ennough to have infiltrated America:

1- Would risk smuggling anti-tank weaponry; too much chance to draw attention on them by the Feds
2- Would have any use for anti-tank weaponry. Any terrorist attack they plan would involve killing a damnload of civilians, and maybe blowing some real estate. You might kill 4-5 people with an anti-tank weapon, a max of 15 person if you target a filled bus (maybe more if you target a school bus), but there are easier way to do it without having to go trough point 1.

So, it's not a question that "if it was possible, it would have been done", but it's just that anti-tank weaponry is simply not usefull, outside killing tanks. Civilian don't often go fight tanks. /argument
You've obviously never seen Die Hard before. :smallamused:

Tengu
2008-05-22, 10:19 AM
I'd rule him into one of my university's electronic labs. Judging by the rules you have to abide, if you do not follow the rules of the exercises you are supposed to do there precisely you will die a horrible death by electrocution, a spinning element ripping your organs out, or a physical paradox. And since the Space Marine is not familiar with these rules...

Although I'm not sure is it worth to risk my life for the equivalent of ~500 USD.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-22, 10:24 AM
Within the context of the OP, assuming I believe it, within my means and without outside military assistance, I feel I could potentially defeat a single Space Marrine. Granted, I know about as much about them now as if I was apart of the scenario...

Evil Plot-

First thing I would do is ask for a bigger cash prize, 'cause 50k just isn't as much as I think my life is worth, m'kay? Maybe 50m?

Prior to that cash prize, my assests would be; Knowledge of the world and easy access to it, surprise, possibly up to $1k, and a car. Oh yeah, let's not forget paper-clips, bubble-gum, and a rubber band. :smallbiggrin:

The first priority is to figure out who my opponent is. That shouldn't be too hard; A guy with power armor who's probably on his way to more densly populated areas trying to find me would quickly be caught on TV and make some news. I'll probably be searching the net for any signs of that news with the TV on. So, I'll have my target.

Next step is to find some recipes for explosives. Making a bomb isn't something I'd look forward to doing, but it's something I could do with a handy how-to guide next to me and plenty of testing. They wouldn't be very powerful or effective agianst a Space Marine, but they won't have to be.

Driving to the closest large city next to me (Houston), I'll look around for some structually unsound buildings, condemed and unoccupied being the prefered. I look around, make some guess as to it's integrety, and place my handy bombs (which by now all have some form of remote detonation attached to them) to any place that might topple the building.

Of course, there's no point in doing this if he doesn't know, so I'll contact a news agency by phone, get an interview, and tell them to broadcast a message to the Space Marine for me, luring it my building. ("I'll be here in this building on the thrid floor. Be there, and I will face you!" or something like that) Standing somewhere a good distance away, or maybe somewhere on the other side of town watching on TV as the News Networks now cover that building exclusively until the Marines arrival, I wait for him to enter the building, set off the explosives once inside, and let it topple and collapse on himI then watch firecrews dispatch to dig out his corpse.

Finally, I chew some bubble gum and make a sling with a rubber band and paperclips. :smallwink:

So, do I watch too much TV and think too much of myself, or could the above possibly work?

Solo
2008-05-22, 10:29 AM
Next step is to find some recipes for explosives. Making a bomb isn't something I'd look forward to doing, but it's something I could do with a handy how-to guide next to me and plenty of testing.

As a chemistry major, I feel obligated to inform you that you are liable to blow yourself up.

Driving to the closest large city next to me (Houston), I'll look around for some structually unsound buildings, condemed and unoccupied being the prefered. I look around, make some guess as to it's integrety, and place my handy bombs (which by now all have some form of remote detonation attached to them) to any place that might topple the building.
You'll either have to place a whackload of bombs in the building, or have engineering knowledge of where to install your explosives.

Assuming you don't get caught by police and get assigned a room mate named Bubba, I think your plan could work.

Maybe.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-22, 10:38 AM
As a chemistry major, I feel obligated to inform you that you are liable to blow yourself up.

Well, there are risks to every plan, but I'm a cautious fellow. I don't need a chemistry major to tell me I could blow myself up making bombs :smallwink: It is my best science subject though, and I shouldn't have a problem understanding what I'm doing. Doing it is different altogether. I really hope I never have to make a bomb.

You'll either have to place a whackload of bombs in the building, or have engineering knowledge of where to install your explosives.

Assuming you don't get caught by police and get assigned a room mate named Bubba, I think your plan could work.

Maybe.

This, of course, is where the internet comes in handy. I'm sure I could find a structural engineer somewhere to assist with my 'homework'.

D_Lord
2008-05-22, 10:40 AM
I would just arm the booby traps I already built. I got the plans and ways to build expions that haven't seen before. Knowing exposeves and testing new little or not so little ones is great.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-22, 10:43 AM
You've obviously never seen Die Hard before. :smallamused:

I think you have the mistaken impression that stuff blow up easily. (darn, I would have loved to link a tvtrope to that last statement)

GoC
2008-05-22, 11:05 AM
I just check the news. I massive 7ft tall guy in power armor with a chainsaw and a bolter surrounded by heretics is going to hit the news.
In fact I won't need to kill him as some military or police force will do it for me.
Assuming he doesn't go gung-ho people will still try and confiscate his equipment and then either he's lost his equipment or he's killed someone. More likely the latter...
Assuming he let's his equipment be removed (yeah right) and isn't taken by the government for study (yeah right) I can just borrow a rifle (I know a friend with one) and hunt him down.
I can also prep some home-made and not-so-home-made explosives (now THESE I can get easily).

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-22, 12:30 PM
Eat his soul :smalltongue:. I win.

Zeful
2008-05-22, 01:59 PM

What that means is that for the challenge you can't just say: I look in the codex and see that his armor rating is = x and that it takes this much damage/explosive force to kill him.

So knowledge of the Warhammer 40k universe is strictly limited within the fictional universe of the challenge.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-22, 02:02 PM
I agree that it's best to just wait awhile. He's bound to cause enough problems that soon the police, if not the army will show up.

They'll probably die in the tens of thousands, but all I'd need to do is stay far away from him :P

Zeful
2008-05-22, 02:08 PM
Evil Plot-

First thing I would do is ask for a bigger cash prize, 'cause 50k just isn't as much as I think my life is worth, m'kay? Maybe 50m?

Prior to that cash prize, my assests would be; Knowledge of the world and easy access to it, surprise, possibly up to $1k, and a car. Oh yeah, let's not forget paper-clips, bubble-gum, and a rubber band. :smallbiggrin:

The first priority is to figure out who my opponent is. That shouldn't be too hard; A guy with power armor who's probably on his way to more densly populated areas trying to find me would quickly be caught on TV and make some news. I'll probably be searching the net for any signs of that news with the TV on. So, I'll have my target.

Next step is to find some recipes for explosives. Making a bomb isn't something I'd look forward to doing, but it's something I could do with a handy how-to guide next to me and plenty of testing. They wouldn't be very powerful or effective agianst a Space Marine, but they won't have to be.

Of course, there's no point in doing this if he doesn't know, so I'll contact a news agency by phone, get an interview, and tell them to broadcast a message to the Space Marine for me, luring it my building. ("I'll be here in this building on the thrid floor. Be there, and I will face you!" or something like that) Standing somewhere a good distance away, or maybe somewhere on the other side of town watching on TV as the News Networks now cover that building exclusively until the Marines arrival, I wait for him to enter the building, set off the explosives once inside, and let it topple and collapse on himI then watch firecrews dispatch to dig out his corpse.

Finally, I chew some bubble gum and make a sling with a rubber band and paperclips. :smallwink:

So, do I watch too much TV and think too much of myself, or could the above possibly work?

This would have the unfortunate side effect of drawing the military and local police into the conflict violating rule 1. Maybe. Also you are potentially violating rule 2 by not destroying the body and gear. Otherwise this would work.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-22, 02:14 PM
This would have the unfortunate side effect of drawing the military and local police into the conflict violating rule 1. Maybe. Also you are potentially violating rule 2 by not destroying the body and gear. Otherwise this would work.

You have to keep in mind, keeping a Space Marine underwraps while not knowing what or where it is while trying to kill it is quite more of an arduous task than simply killing it without aid. I'm sure the SM can take care of itself agianst whatever meager law enforecement catches up to it until its demise.

As for the body and gear, once the deed is done, does it matter what force takes every bit of him and his stuff apart for science? If so, I'll go back in and take it apart. Once more, destroying is much more arduous than killing.

TheFallenOne
2008-05-23, 08:31 AM
Tough challenge. Well, I know I can't get my hands on anything that has a reasonable chance to acutally take out a marine. But the military does, couple of Leopard 2s would wreak even power armor. But I'm not allowed to contact the military.

This means I have to lure the marine into a situation in which he will attract attention by shooting random people in broad daylight. An anti-imperialism demo should do("Stop imperialism now!" - "YOU DARE DEFY THE EMPEROR?" *headshot*). A larp or convention with people dressed up as orks would be perfect, fortunately they look very similar in most settings. Any temple obviously not devoted to the emperor would work, particularly Hindu, statues of half-humans with too many limbs would be immediately associated with Chaos.
From then on it's just a matter of hoping the marine goes down before the time limit and praying that I won't go to hell for sacrificing a lot of lives for my own safety.

But oh well, since I used knowledge of the 40K universe this won't work either, but this is the closest I could get

Zeful
2008-05-23, 10:46 AM
Remember, on day one of the challenge, the space marine will likely be in the news. Someone dressed up like a blue Iron man carrying a automatic rocket-launcher slightly larger than an SMG will attract a lot of attention. It's likely your news footage will be of him shooting up something shouting those Imperialist propaganda.

And remember you have to destroy his body and his gear, else you violate the rules.