PDA

View Full Version : A New World [Setting, Under Construction]

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-22, 10:30 PM
I've been thinking about creating something for a while, and this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81059) got me thinking; What would a world from the bottom-up look like? How can you make it logically consistent without defaulting to large, all powerful Magocrocies/Theocracies that can teleport wherever they want? How on earth would any of the standard races survive for any length of time with all of the bizarre and overtly powerful creatures mucking about? I hope this project will answer those questions, and perhaps produce a fun setting for all the forum-goers here to enjoy. I'm going to focus on the fluff first, and work out a frame for mechanics as I go.

-----

So, let's begin with the first question; How would anybody survive the onslaught of core and non-core monsters in a typical DnD setting? The short answer, as I see it, is that they cannot. Barring the Tarasque and other epic level monsters, even accounting for some rarity at first, any encounter with many monsters would result in premature death, and further contribute to the domination of all magical creatures. So, we're going to throw a whole lot, if not almost all, naturally magical creatures out of the equation. This leaves us with a spare few creatures with only supernatural abilities, and humanoids. Naturally, the latter will have to exist no matter what in our world.

I have created a list of creatures I intend to use, categorizing them into intelligent creatures, which should have the potential for players to play and give a breath of civilization to the world, non-intelligent creatures that are strange or perhaps perfectly normal, but relatively mundane, and out-right magical creatures for flavor, balance, and challenge. I have further divided the intelligent creatures into groups of common decent. Any productive hanky-panky can occur only in those groups.

Creatures that Exist-
Intelligent- Goblins (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs, Ogre, Troll)
Reptilians (Kobolds, Lizardfolk, Dragons, Troglodytes)
Humanoid (Humans, Elves, Halflings/Dwarves)
Other (Rakshasa, Gnoll)
Non-Intelligent- Corrolax, Felldrake, All Normal Animals, Griffon, Hippogriff, Krenshar
Magical- Asperi, Cloud Ray, Pheonix, Roc, Rouge Eidolon, Blink Dog, Displacer Beast, Skeletons and Undead, Werewolves

A few things I notice; Half-orcs are out, some powerful creatures are in the intelligent list, and the presence of a few creatures seems odd. I chose all of these creatures with something in mind, even if it was a crazy something. I intend all of the intelligent races to be playable, even if it means severe alteration, and all of the magical creatures will balance out ecologically. The effects of dragons and such stealing large numbers of game will be duly noted in development.

-----

Another concern, my second in fact, I think I should address now before going anywhere significant in world development. Magic should not be all powerful and destabilizing, leading to magocracies. People held empires because of technological (or in this case magical) advancement and good tactics, but a society isn't founded on great warriors/mages alone. For my purposes, I want magic to be accessible to all in some degree, have increasing levels of power one can research via level and society advancement, but not be game or nation breaking. Wizards aren't game breaking, neither are sorcerers or other casters, but they don't do good things to the economy. They're out.

I will have to think about how I want magic, and deities as well, to work before moving on.

Magic, I think, is a force. I don't think that assumption would be challenged. A force has certain rules it must follow for how it affects other things in the universe, and the way it does that is constant regarding certain factors. In my mind, the closet analogy to magical force would be electro-magnetic force. A mass may have a charge, and it can be positive or negative. If a magnet rotates, it generates a magnetic field that affects other objects with a charge. Of course, nobody is going to spin a magical rock to get energy (who'd ever do something silly like that? :smalltongue: ), but a magical object should have some condition in order to function.

I'm left with the following:
Magic is object-oriented
Magic always has either a positive or negative charge and corresponding field/effect on an area if activated.
Since there are magical creatures, and creatures are affected by magic, then all creatures have a positive or negative charge, and are capable of having a corresponding effect on an area.
Regarding a so-far unnamed variable (experience level), magical fields/effects become more or less powerful.

This still leaves the room for magocracies, but later on, we can iron out it's limits. This early in world development, nobody should have access to that level of magic.

-----

Deities are something interesting we need to define. What's a fantasy world without it's gods? Probably better off, but none-the-less, I feel obligated to have them, and they might explain away any nasty things that I just can't get rid of.

So, what is a deity in this world? Clearly, they are beings that are worshiped because of their great power. What if, however, we disconnect the two principles of a being that's worshiped and a being that's powerful? The former may be anything of our races creation, as a way for them to explain how things came out in early times, and the latter is a being of great knowledge, power, and presence. We'll focus on the latter now, and the former when we get to culture.

Our deities, now defined, are free from cultural obligations and do not need to fill any and all roles as an example to the species (like the great kobold god of basket weaving) However, there's no reason they cannot support their favorite activity among our intelligent races, especially ones they like cheering for. They should have unique personalties, based on their experiences in the universe, but in general be aloof or uncaring. Whatever all mighty affect they can have on the universe, it should be generally assumed they know better than to destabilize entire worlds just for fun.

For the scale of conflicts they can pose between them, the most efficient method might be just thinking harder about the other not existing. Doing so should probably be frowned upon.

While having powers nearing the infinite, but not quite, it should not be too difficult to mundanely kill them should a condition arrive such that it could be possible. Let's say they are normally intangible, but for some reason, one of them decides to become on of these orc creatures to talk to them on their level. While still a deity with all of his powers, if an arrow goes through his head while he's physically an orc, he's pretty much dead on the spot.

For the sake of argument and setting a standard, they can will something into existence that they cannot move. The condition they create is real, they do not create paradoxes. In general, they are also of equal levels of power.

Why all of the words on deities? The reason is simple; Deities can quickly be the most destabilizing factor on a world. If there is not something that keeps them from altering the whole world for their end right as life emerges, why the hell wouldn't they? Having them well defined, and away from worshiped gods, also means that while Theocracies might emerge, they will not be contenders for Magocracies, and will still need statesmanship to rule, not just atom bombs gods.

-----

With most of the basics set out, it's time to get to mapping. Geology is important in determining things like primitive movement and political boundaries, but not so much one needs to mull over ever implication of leeward and wayward sides of mountains. I like to stick to real world geography when I can, but it really would be a hassle to think out 5 million years of geology and then write it down. A randomly generated map will satisfy me, and anyone who'd bother to play a game with it as a backdrop.

The color bode for the maps:
Goblins
Reptilians
Humanoids
Other - The top left are Gnolls, the bottom center are Rakshasa
Mixed/Contested - Black Stripes or Back Color with Polka Dots, or multiple back colors

The original map (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/NewWorldMap.jpg)
Early migration prior to warming (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/NewWorldMigration1.jpg)
Migration after Glacial Melting (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/NewWorldMigration2.jpg)
Division or rising politcal territories as the Bronze Age is reached (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/NewWorldTerritory.jpg)
Territories by race (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/NewWorldTerritorybyRace.jpg)

-----

So, some of the basic steps covered, I think I can end here. I know the next steps I need to take, but I'll accept any help I can get.

What I want to work on next:
Are these the intelligent creatures I'm looking for? What are they like in this world? How do I need to change them to be that way?

How will difference classes of creatures deal with each other at first? How will they deal with creatures in the same class?

Where are creatures of the same class within their territory? How are their civilizations coming along? Which ones have the potential to become city-states, and which ones meager tribes?

Where are the magical animals located? How do the intelligent creatures react to them? How do the magical animals react to the intelligent creatures?

Which tribes and territories find magically charged objects first? Do deities have anything to do with finding or creating them? How do they use them at first? Do they succeed? Then what?

Don Beegles
2008-05-22, 11:27 PM
King, I really like where you've started with this. I'm probably going to start drawing some maps and playing around with my world tomorrow, but I think I'll take a couple leaves out of your book. I need to come up with some explanation for gods and magic to start with, and it's going to be really hard not to use what you have, because I really like it. I also think I'll use your idea of grouping creatures to simplify things, but that's the last thing I'll steal from you.

We really need to keep in touch, so we can share notes on how each world is working out.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-23, 08:36 AM
King, I really like where you've started with this. I'm probably going to start drawing some maps and playing around with my world tomorrow, but I think I'll take a couple leaves out of your book. I need to come up with some explanation for gods and magic to start with, and it's going to be really hard not to use what you have, because I really like it. I also think I'll use your idea of grouping creatures to simplify things, but that's the last thing I'll steal from you.

We really need to keep in touch, so we can share notes on how each world is working out.

Feel free to take whatever you like, I'm trying to make this more of a guide of how to think about building upwards more than anything. I'll be keeping my good, well thought out notes here (as the real notes are messy and not well written, as well as few, without train of thought), and I'm curious to see where you take yours.

Lappy9000
2008-05-23, 09:36 AM
Always a good idea. I was gonna let my group play at (almost) any time period they want after the current campaign ends.

puppyavenger
2008-05-23, 09:36 AM
very well thought out. Can I assume the general power structures are in terms of power? (i.e. dragons>trogs>kobols?)

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-23, 09:51 AM
very well thought out. Can I assume the general power structures are in terms of power? (i.e. dragons>trogs>kobols?)

Potentially, that's one way things could turn out. I'm going to have to get to how that will work out, but what's on my mind right now is; Races in the same group won't divide themselves until culture sets in, whatever difference in power. They'll treat others in the same group as if they were other tribes of their own kind. History shows some of that between Neanderthals(sp?) and early Humans. How races will interact with others outside of thier own group is the big question.

Also keep in mind, I'd like all of my races to be on a near equal playing field.

-----

I"ll be working on getting my next section on races up tonight.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-23, 03:27 PM
Are these the intelligent creatures I'm looking for? What are they like in this world? How do I need to change them to be that way?

Creatures that Exist-
Goblins (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs, Ogre, Troll)
Other (Rakshasa, Gnoll)

Continuing where I left off, I need to iron out who exists, what they're like, and where they are. I'm going to start with our all star casts description in the core, see how they fit, and give alteration where needed. Let's start with the goblin group, which has a few that seems they'd fit right in, and a few that seem a bit powerful.

----

Goblins are short, cunning fellows with as good of a grasp on any concept as a human, and sacrificing one of their own for their benefit isn't below them. They seem fine as-is, though I might want to pull them up just a tiny bit in power.

Hobgoblins are basically bigger goblins, except with more internal discipline and a greater inclination towards violence than their smaller cousins.

Bugbears are even bigger, just as smart, more aggressive and maybe even an inch wiser than the Hobgoblins and Goblins. Tell me if you see the pattern there. I mean, dang, it's going to be hard not to just give it to bugbears for survival of the fittest... It's hard to power down these guys without making them hobgoblins, so I think I'm going to draw the line here; Player races shouldn't be stronger than bugbears.

Orcs are proud beings that, while not quite as bright as other species, have plenty of strength to make up for it. The only thing I'd change is to take away their Light Sensitivity; It doesn't make sense, and as far as I know nobody has ever remembered this fact.

Ogres are big and powerful, but their intelligence lacks behind all of the others so far. Intelligence matters the most for the survival of intelligent creatures; If something bad happens, like disease or longer winters, they're going to take massive losses for not having enough sense to take care of the sick or leave them, and for having entirely inadequate measures of keeping warm. They'd be around in small numbers, or quickly extinct among their competitions, despite their power.

I know I just said the races shouldn't be stronger then bugbears, but I think I know how to take care of that, which I'll cover in a moment.

Finally, we have Trolls. They're just as thick in the head as ogres, but they've got one giant advantage; Regeneration. It doesn't help if their starving (and no, eating an arm you're going to spend four times as much energy regenerating doesn't help), but in any potentially lethal encounter, unless they're cremated quickly after, they will rise once again with vengeance. They can take down the biggest game without fear, which means giant, warm fur blankets without even trying. Even with what I have in mind, they need a serious limiting factor, and deteriorating cell structures from continual regeneration provides the perfect excuse for early and convenient deaths.

----

I have my goblins out, but I'm not finished yet. Half of them are simply far too powerful as they are. How can I bring them down to size? My current idea; Monster Levels which are available only upon aging. A troll has +5 LA and 6 HD. Spreading that not only over several levels, but what must be a long life-time, makes them significantly easier to handle. It also means they too much still profess in classes and gain experience in order to compete. Fleshing these classes out can wait; their intended existence helps things on its own.

Coming up next: Checking up on Reptilians.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-23, 05:13 PM

Kobolds: Kobolds aren't really any different from goblins in theory; They have the same name origins and lore going back to Roman Household Gods*. In our realm of DnD, however, Kobolds strike me as a bit weaker then goblins, but overall, they're pretty average creatures. They shouldn't have Light Sensitivity; They all grew up in the sun here. They could use some more skill bonuses to give them a better incentive for players, like additions to spot and listen, and perhaps one more point of natural armor.

Lizardfolk: These reptilians are well built, have natural weapons, extra HD, and a load of natural armor. They have a point more Wis than Int, the inverse of previous races, and what seems to be a tendency to go to extremes. They won't be making as many advances early on, but they shouldn't have any trouble duplicating anything they spy. A minimal shift to Monster Age Levels shouldn't be difficult or hurt them much.

Dragons: Dragons.... At age 20, they have 8-13 HD, +5 LA, piles of Natural Armor, Immunities, maybe a power or two, and 1000+ years of increasing magical abilities. Dragons are, dare I say, a bit too powerful as they are for this world. They're all set up for Monster Age Levels, but they're given a growth that's so fast and continuous that it gets way out of proportion. Sadly, they're going to need a redesign for my purposes. This will need to be covered after the rest of the races.

Troglodytes: I think a line in their core description explains them pretty well "They are not especially intelligent, but their ferocity and natural cunning more than compensate for this deficiency." They have a good natural defense mechanism, and they won't need any more adjustment than our other races.

---

*Check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblins), here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold), here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lare), and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_deity) if you're interested in the similarities of Goblins and Kobolds. It's quite intriguing. :smallsmile:

----

Our next phase, Humanoids! It's almost as if our other races weren't human enough. :smallsmile:

Humans: I don't think any discussion needs to take place. They fit the policy on our races, and they've been proven to generate stable societies (most of the time anyway)

Elves: Elves are something like ice-cream; You might like them, and have a favorite flavor, but there's just so many of them. People might complain about that, but I think it gives them a certain, more realistic feel; They're divided, they've adapted to their environment and developed noticeable differences, and their cultures are different because of it. I like that. It'd fit in very well here. Unfortunately, we have to start from a base.

So, we have a choice of elves, or we can make our own (more elves, I know..) I'm thinking, right now, we need more creatures with above average intelligence, so let's go with the gray-elf statistic of +2 int, -2 Str for them. We'll also take away their wep profeciencies, their sleep resistance, and maybe their meditation. We'll give them some magic related ability later on.

Dwarves/Halfings: Why are they in the same group? Because, that's why. For my purposes, they'll be two sides of the same die, like elves. It'll also make it easier than making up a name for half halfling/dwarves...

Halflings, as they are, are great. They have bonuses on saves, +1 on thrown weapons, bonuses on skills needed for hunting, and +2 against fear effects. These guys are prehistoric bombs :smalleek: Fearless, accurate, cunning... They're going to have a big place in this world.

Dwarves have a lot of abilities based on knowledge of stone, of other creatures, of craft, and of weapons... I'm tempted to take it all away, but I think this shows something about them that bears some thought. They have good memory, and can clearly bear a grudge, and set themselves to that grudge with eternal fervor. I think what I'm going to do is give them a boost. Additional Wisdom and Intelligence, at a decline of dexterity and charisma.

Thinking about it, humanoids are all just a bit less.... Powerful than the other races on the average. Perhaps they could all do with a mental boost? It's something to keep in mind.

----

Coming Next: The Others

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-23, 06:10 PM
Other (Rakshasa, Gnoll)

Ah, and here we take care of our furry friends.

Rakshasa: Good lord, I don't know how many times I've mispronounced these guys. To the point, Rakshasa are shapechangers, illusionist and magicians. Since they're powerful in DnD, it'd be hard to scale them down to playable levels, so a slight reworking of them could be done. Perhaps they could be divided into a few lesser sub-species; One with a focus on it's spell-like powers, one with a focus on it's shapechanging and mind reading, and another on melee potential? I'll cover them along with dragons after I finish.

Gnolls: Gnolls are like our Troglodytes; They aren't smart, but they're still clever. They'll wait until they can get the best advantage from an ambush before attacking. They're nocturnal, which might make things more interesting later on. They can be given our Monster Age Levels without much effort, and probably deserve Light Sensitivity.

-----

Coming Next: Bashing things out - Giving our Races some mechanics to play with.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-24, 10:58 AM
Alright now, there's some unfinished buisness. Dragons and Rakshasa cannot be used as is, which presents a problem if I want them to be present. Rakshasa just go over the limit, and have abilities that might not function in this world, but Dragons are just absolutely breaking to the environment. Unless killed at birth, and barring incredible accidents, they just won't die. They just keep getting bigger and more dominant, and that just wouldn't be fun.

This being, I must think about what I want dragons to be in this world. I already have felldrakes as a stand-in, and as an intelligent species that only has claws, they will not advance as other creatures will. No spears, no blankets, no normal terms of technological advancement as we can mark by the other species. On this basis, I'd kick them out, or demote them to magical creatures. However, there is one way they can keep up; Magic. It doesn't need opposable thumbs, can be found naturally within objects and creatures and can be, and could be their method of competing in this world. They still need to be physically terrifying, but magic will be their focus.

So, a magic focused generic dragon somewhere around ECL 3 would be perfect. That's what I'll need to look for.

Rakshasa too are magic focused, but less physically threatening and still capable of inventing and using other tech. They should still be able to change shapes, and detect thoughts, but their natural magical abilities should not be any greater then that. The rest they can work for.

-----

Of course, before I can go around creating magical creatures, I need to iron out how magic works mechanically. We know how it should work, there just need to be rules. Let's bring up what we know about magic...

Magic is object-oriented
Magic always has either a positive or negative charge and corresponding field/effect on an area if activated.
Since there are magical creatures, and creatures are affected by magic, then all creatures have a positive or negative charge, and are capable of having a corresponding effect on an area.
Regarding a so-far unnamed variable (experience level), magical fields/effects become more or less powerful.

Alright, we have that, and we want it to be potentially useable by anyone (though not to the extent of those with classes for it), and useable with any of our three mental stats.

So, how does one access magic through these 'stats'? I want to mix it up a little bit for my world, so we'll do it like this; Intelligence based casting represents learning magic and using magic imbued objects, Wisdom based magic represents experience with ones own magic and altering it as needed, and Charisma based magic will represent petitioning to a source, like to one of our deities.

So, how does one access magic from objects or from within? Since we want that to be non-class focused, perhaps an ability or skill check? UMD is looking very lonely by now, so why don't we replace it with a brand new "Use Magical Power"?

As a final thought, the unnamed variable above, while previously level, perhaps could be a level dependent variable? I think I like the idea of that being mana, so we'll now be using a mana system for our caster.

-----

List of things I now need to make, in order:
Int, Wis, and Cha based Caster Class with mana
Use Magical Power skill
Determining if it's needed to create new spells, of if old ones can still be used, or both.
Determining if any abilities of our other creatures change
Creating our new magical generic dragons
Creating new Rakshasa

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-25, 01:34 PM
I have spent some time creating the new casting classes for this setting. They're still in the rough draft phase, but I think making them is helping put some things into perspective. They still need to be refined and need to be balanced. Any and all assistance is appreciated :smallsmile:

I'll be using the spell point system from the Unearth Arcana.

Int bases Object Caster

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.

This caster focuses on finding, creating, and altering magical objects. While he is not capable of casting spells on his own, he can harness his magical aptitude through his creations to beneficial or devastating effect.

NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Mana|Max Object Levels/ Highest Level

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2| Bonus Feat, Craft Objects|2|2/1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||4|4/1

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| Metamagic Object|7|6/2

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||11|9/2

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat|16|12/3

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Metamagic Wands|24|17/3

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||33|22/4

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6||44|29/4

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Metamagic Rods|56|36/5

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Bonus Feat|72|45/5

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||88|54/6

12th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Metamagic Ring|104|65/6

13th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8||120|76/7

14th|
+7/2|
+4|
+4|
+9||136|89/7

15th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Feat, Metamagic Staff|152|102/8

16th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10||168|117/8

17th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10||184|132/9

18th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11||200|149/9

19th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11||216|165/9

20th|
+10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat|232|182/9[/table]

Bonus Feat - As a bonus feat a [caster] can choose to gain an Item Creation Feat, Metamagic Feat, or an [+x] bonus to their mana pool.

Craft Object – Objects are how the caster uses magic. An object is any kind of wand, staff, ring or trinket that requires one free hand to use, and requires only mana to activate its effect. The effects the object is able to create is determined on creation. The total level of effects it can create cannot exceed the crafters caster level. Creating an object takes 1 day per 1000gp, or if less then 1000gp, 2 hours per caster level.

To base price of an object is it’s spell level times it’s caster level times 25. Use this to determine how long it takes to craft. The cost to craft an object is 1/25th of the base price in XP, and ½ in raw materials.

Applying more than one effect to an object is the same as crafting a second object.

Retrieving and preparing an object for use is a move action. To cast from an object is a standard action that uses mana equal to its spell level. There is no limit to the number of times an object can be uses, it merely facilitates casting. As long as one has enough intelligence, wisdom, or charisma to have mana, he can use an object, but only if he is capable of casting spells of that level. Characters without caster levels are treated as having a caster level of 1, and can only use first level objects.

An object uses the caster level it had on creation for determining spell effects. Objects can be improved in caster level by paying the difference in cost of raw materials and XP.

Every day, there is a maximum number of spell levels of object effects that a [caster] can use. He must determine what arrangement of objects he can use that day ahead of time, and must not exceed his limit of object levels. No object he can use that day can be of higher level then he is capable of using.

Metamagic Object – At 3rd Level, the caster may apply metamagic feats to his objects by paying the additional mana a higher level spell would cost. He cannot apply metamagic if it would increase its level above what he could cast

At 6th he can apply Metamagic to Wands in this manner

At 9th he can apply Metamagic to Rods in this manner

At 12th he can apply Metamagic to Rings in this manner

Finally, at 15th, he can apply Metamgic to Staffs in this manner

Wisdom Based Caster with Auras

Know Thyself

It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and it binds us all together.

This caster is capable of harnessing his inner reserve of energy and directly producing spells. With focus and training, he himself becomes a beacon of magical energy.

NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Mana|Spells Known

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Aura +1|3|4/2

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3||5|5/2

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Aura +2|8|5/3

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4||14|6/3/1

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4||19|6/4/2

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Aura +3|29|7/4/2/1

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5||37|7/5/3/2

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6||51|8/5/3/2/1

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Aura +4|63|8/5/4/3/2

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Special Aura|81|9/5/4/3/2/1

11th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7||97|9/5/5/4/3/2

12th|
+6/1|
+8|
+4|
+8|Aura +5|115|9/5/5/4/3/2/1

13th|
+6/1|
+8|
+4|
+8|Special Aura|131|9/5/5/4/4/3/2

14th|
+7/2|
+9|
+4|
+9||149|9/5/5/4/4/3/2/1

15th|
+7/2|
+9|
+5|
+9||165|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/2/1

16th|
+8/3|
+10|
+5|
+10|Aura +6, Special Aura|183|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/2/1

17th|
+8/3|
+10|
+5|
+10||199|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/2

18th|
+9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11||217|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/2/1

19th|
+9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Special Aura|233|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/3/2

20th|
+10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Aura +7|250|9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/3/3[/table]

Aura – As a full round action, a caster may activate an aura. He may have only one aura up at a time, and it cost him mana equal to the highest level spell he can cast. This aura may either provide a positive bonus to all friendlies in the area, a negative bonus to all hostiles, or deal damage.

Bonus/Penalty Aura: A caster may create an aura covering a 50ft burst around himself that either affects friendlies positivley, or hostiles negatively. The bonus or penality he emparts is 1 and increases by 1 every 3 levels until 12th. This bonus or penalty can be applied to attack rolls, AC, skill checks or saving throws. After that, it increases by 1 every four levels. The DC for this effect is 10 + ½ caster level + Wisdom bonus; This is a Will save to negate. This effect lasts for 1 round per caster level

Damage Aura: Alternatively, a caster may create an aura 20ft + 5ft/ 2 levels in radius up to 30ft + 5ft /level away from himself that deals either fire, cold, electricity, sonic, or untyped damage as determined on activating. The DC to resist this damage is equal to 10 + ½ caster level + wisdom bonus. This is a Reflex save for half if typed, or Fortitude to negate if untyped. If the caster chooses untyped damage, this effect is treated as if the caster was ½ his current level. The amount of damage is determined by the casters level [damage die scales with level, number of die equals caster level? ]

Special Auras: To be decided upon.

Charisma based caster

The Petitioner does not cast spells on his own. Instead, he beseeches other powers to do so for him, using his own mana to fuel his answered prayers.

Petitioner
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Mana|Max Petitions/ Highest Level

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0| 1st Petition Source|2|2/1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0||4|4/1

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1||7|6/2

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1||11|9/2

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|2nd Source|16|12/3

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2||24|17/3

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2||33|22/4

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+6|
+2||44|29/4

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+6|
+3||56|36/5

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+7|
+3|3rd Source|72|45/5

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+7|
+3||88|54/6

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4||104|65/6

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+4||120|76/7

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+9|
+4||136|89/7

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+9|
+5|4th Source|152|102/8

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+5||168|117/8

17th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+5||184|132/9

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+11|
+6||200|149/9

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+11|
+6||216|165/9

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+12|
+6|5th Source|232|182/9[/table]

Petition Source - Have to think about this...

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-25, 02:32 PM
Monster Age Levels

Monster Age Levels work like Monster Levels from Savage Species, with the exception that a character can only take levels if they are of a certain age or greater. It is possible for a monster to never gain the full benefits of their race if they do not gain enough experience, or have the misfortune of not living quite so long. With more powerful monsters having abilities spread over a long lifespan, completing their levels becomes an epic task over the course of their life.

Dragons

Dragons are serpent-like creatures with wings, legs, and to the dismay of many, very sharp teeth. They can live three times as long as humans can at best, have innate magical abilities, can fly and breath fire. Despite their ferocious appearance they are intelligent and typically wise, and relatively benevolent when they aren't hungry.

Racial Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Con, Bite (1d6), 2 Claws (1d4), Medium Size, 30ft Land Speed

Dragon
{table=head]Level|Age|HD|Base Attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Mana|Abilities|Scores

1st|25|1d12|+1|+2|+2|+2|3|Create Water|+2 Dex

2nd|40|1d12|+1|+2|+2|+2|3|+1 Natural Armor|

3rd|55|2d12|+2|+3|+3|+3|5|Telekinesis|+2 Str, +2 Dex

4th|70|2d12|+2|+3|+3|+3|5|+1 Natural Armor|+2 Con

5th|85|2d12|+2|+3|+3|+3|5|Large Creature|+2 Cha, +2 Dex

6th|100|3d12|+3|+3|+3|+3|8|+1 Natural Armor|+2 Wis

7th|115|3d12|+3|+3|+3|+3|8|Tail Slap (1d8)|+2 Dex

8th|130|3d12|+3|+3|+3|+3|8|Fire Breath|+2 Str, +2 Wis

9th|145|4d12|+4|+4|+4|+4|14||+2 Dex

10th|160|4d12|+4|+4|+4|+4|14||+2 Str
[/table]

Create Water - Dragons have an affinity for water, preferring to den near streams and lakes. Through their magic, they can bring a bit of their environment with them. For expending 1 mana as a standard action, they can create up to five gallons of water per use. They do not need to create all 5 gallons at once.

Telekinesis - By expending 3 mana as a standard action, a dragon may lift 150 pounds of material or willing creatures for up to 1 hour.

Large Creature - At 5th level, a dragon becomes a large creature. His Strength increases by +2, Dex lowers by -2, claw attacks increase to 1d6, bite increases to 1d8, and he takes a -1 to AC and attack rolls.

Tail Slap - At 7th, a dragon gains a tail slap for 1d8 damage as a secondary attack

Fire Breath - At 8th level, a dragon gains the ability to breath a cone of fire for 4d8 damage, Reflex for half. The DC for this ability is 10 + 1/2 HD + Constitution

-----

Though all intelligent races learn at the same rate, they do not all grow at the same rate all of the time. It is possible for a creature to be a mature, knowledgeable individual, but still be considered young.

Lifespan
Young - 25
Youth - 50
Adult - 100
Middle Age - 150
Old - 200
Venerable - 250

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-25, 04:28 PM
Rakshasa

Rakshasa are humanoid looking tigers with palms of the back of their hands. They are illusionist, shape changers and mind readers who's malevolence is never difficult to see. Rakshasa are often cannibals, and have no second thoughts about hunting other intelligent beings or their own in order to eat. When hunting other beings, they have the tendency to toy with their food.

Racial Traits - +2 Dex, Bite (1d6), 2 Claws (1d4), +4 to Bluff and Disguise

{table=head]Level|Age|HD|Base Attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Mana|Abilities|Score

1st|20|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|3||+2 Dex

2nd|30|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|3|+1 Natural AC, Detect Thoughts|

3rd|40|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3|5||+2 Cha

4th|50|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3|5|+1 Natural AC, Change Shape|+2 Wis[/table]

Detect Thoughts (Su) - A rakshasa can activate this as the spell of the same name for 3 mana, using their total HD as the caster level. The DC is Charisma based (12 + Cha )

Change Shape (Su) - As a standard action, a Rakshasa can spend 5 mana to assume any humanoid form, losing it's bite and claw attacks. The Rakshasa stays in this form until it assumes a new one, but reverts back to it's natural form upon its death. A True Seeing spell reveals its natural form.

Lifespan:
Young - 10
Teen - 20
Adult - 40
Middle Age - 60
Old - 70
Venerable - 120

puppyavenger
2008-05-26, 06:05 PM
Vulnerable - 250

I think you mean venreable.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-26, 06:59 PM
I think you mean venerable.

Ah, that's right. It shall be corrected. Thanks.

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-26, 07:21 PM
Before I was working like you. Starting with a general idea. Trying to detail each territory and after that, datailing the starting zone. I played like this for more than 3 years. I restarted my games maybe 6 times....per year.

So I decided to do the opposite now. Just creating the first adventure. Not the setting...the first adventure. From that, Ill develop around. My first adventure is set in a huge city. The players are going into the sewers to find an ancient artifact that has been lost thousand years ago.

From there, I ask my self :
What is around the city that could affect the adventure?
There is a guild in the city that search for magic item and their way to do things is more...violent.
Who lost this item?
A powerful evil cleric that tried to conquer the region.
Why did he lost it?
Because during the invasion, he followed survivors in the sewers and get trapped by them.
Is there any secrets in this adventure?
The artifact is cursed but give the illusion to be powerful and useful until the player try to use it.

etc.

I prefer this way now. But I admire your work and perseverance..keep it up.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-27, 09:12 PM
Thank you Pink Paladin. The last couple of games I've tried DMing I've tried in exactly that fashion. It's less work, certainly, but for me, retroactively coming up with how the present situation occurred was harder work. Having something to build off of has been easier for me, plus it gives me more material to use later on.

-----

Now that I have a better idea on the dragons and rakshasas abilities, and magic as well, I can resume writing shortly. I'll next have to divide species areas into sub-species, consider general cultures, and maybe a few things that aren't on my mind yet. It might also be a good idea to consider what period I want this to end in, and I'm thinking I want this to be in the Early Bronze Age. Most settings seem to start in later periods, so it'll be fun to go against the grain.

Future post coming eventually.

Don Beegles
2008-05-27, 09:49 PM
I like what you've done a lot King. You're going much more mechanics wise t han I intend to. I have quite a bit of notes written out, but they're all things that I can do under 3.5, and that should work with 4, so I don't have to homebrew too much. It should be interesting to see if the different play styles change anything.

When I actually get into the experiment, rath er than just the preliminary descriptions of races, I'll have to put it up. Until then, I'm interested in seeing how things turn out.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-27, 11:34 PM
Well, the mechanics I have are only rough drafts I'm using to get a picture of how things work. Getting it ready for play is a different story. I'm very curious to see what you have going Don, tell me when get it up. :smallsmile:

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-30, 02:08 PM
Species Distribution Maps

Goblinoids (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/GoblinDistribution.jpg)
Reptilians (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/ReptileDistribution.jpg)
Humanoids (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/HumanDistribution.jpg)

So now, I've gone and divided my racial families into species and given them their distribution. They aren't perfectly segregated like this, but the areas here represent where they would be the most common of their species.

Things are shaping up quite well, and I'm spotting plenty of areas that seem to develop their own conflicts. There are a few general areas in which I'm most interested in.

First, the area farthest north on the western side of the map. In that area, we have Goblins/Hobgoblins, Dwarves, and Kobolds in the highest prevalence, with a chance of Gnolls filtering into the area later on over the North and West-most Mountains (wrap around on the map). By far, this si the most mixed area I can see.

Second, we have the Human/Rakshasa border on the desert. Notably, this is the only other contact with intelligent species that Rakshasa have as of yet, and should color their perception of others throughout the rest of the setting, at least for Rakshasa in that area.

Third, there are highly numerous occurrences of Reptilian/Goblinoid encounters. From South to North, we have the following; Lizardfolk and Hobgoblin/Bugbear; Orc, Dragons, and Lizardfolk; Orc, Goblin/Hobgoblin, Troglodytes; Goblin/Hobgoblin, Kobolds and Gnolls.

Of course, encounters within families should be incredibly interesting and representative of each species general 'attitude'.

-----

Coming Next: Family and Species Attitudes and Cultures, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-30, 07:21 PM
Attitudes/Cultural Possibilities

Humanoids

Halflings/Dwarves - While technically the same species, there are a few things to note about their differences. We've already spotted dwarves have a habit for making 'grudges', perhaps inferring a general distaste of others and a desire to 'get away' from the other humanoids, and we've also seen that Halflings are ideal survivors. Perhaps some of their inherent ability of survival stems from societal caution, shown by the fact they remain most numerous in their families area of origin?

Dwarves - Bear grudges, good memory, mild xenophobia
Halflings - Cautious, survivalist, (perhaps) generally pragmatic

Humans and Elves - If we take a look at one of the earlier migration maps, and take a look at the distribution for humanoids, we can see that humans and elves traveled nearly the same path, perhaps even in each others company. Though areas of clear elven or human dominance have been selected, it's not too improbable to suppose that those of the other species are there in high numbers and mixed groups. Near equal intelligence, nearly the same looks, same paths... I think Humans, Elves, and Half-elves overall might have a stable and friendly relationship.

For our humanoids on one hand, we have the same species with radical cultural divergences, and on the other, two species developing the into one culture. I didn't quite anticipate this, but it it looks nice and should work. Something I might want to look at are half-elves, and see if I should give them a boost to keep up with their parents.

-----

Goblinoids

Our biggest cast, we have Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs, Ogres, and Trolls. Let's stop to think of our dynamics...

Ogres and Trolls - I want to get these guys out of the way first, because out of all the races, they are the dumbest. If 8-9 Intelligence reflects sub-standard of average, both of them at 6 makes them plain stupid. They wouldn't develop anything on their own, survive extreme circumstances, or develop complex societies. At best, they are savages. The only reason they are still here is because they have the potential to work with or for other creatures of higher intellect. Given some persuasion and direction, they could allow for laborers or fighters of outstanding quality and capabilities, one of which can even regenerate from his own injuries.

Due to their intelligence, they are, as said, savages on their own. With their own brute strength, they scoff at the other goblinoids and take what they can. I think they provide the perfect excuse for the other goblinoids early migration form their forest/jungle birthplace, just to get away from these jerks. The other goblins leave to better lands to develop their cultures, while the Ogres and Trolls stay behind and rule their untamed jungle.

Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears - The observant one may have noticed that these species were not grouped individually, but rather, in groups of Goblins and Hobgoblins, and Bugbears and Hobgoblins. To explain this occurrence as best as possible, imagine their evolution. We begin with two ancestors with a single common ancestor. From the two ancestors, they each branch into their final evolution, but also interbreed and create a third species with ties to the other two. On either end, we have our Goblins and Bugbears, and inbetween we have our Hobgoblins.

Something like this:

Ancestor A
| \
| \
B C
| \ / |
| \ / |
Gob| Hob| Bug

With some evolutionary ties between them, as well as what must be an intense dislike of their Ogre and and Troll cousins, they might have well enough of a reason to keep together to survive and develop together. How they treat each other will depend on the groups (do they look down on their smaller cousins, or treat them equally?), but they're there. Their cultures should depend on how they treat this point.

Orcs - Orcs are a sad species estranged from their cousins. They are not very much like the goblins, and not at all like Ogres and Trolls; Orcs are a breed of their own. With few similarities with others, I think they'd focus on what makes them different. I can see them interacting with the others being mixed, peacefully or hostile according to the situation, but they will distance themselves. I do not see them forming tribes with other species. A general pride in their species seems appropriate.

-----

Kobolds - I want to start with Kobolds because among the reptilians, I see them as being the most striking different from the others. Unlike our Dragons, Lizardfolk and Troglodytes, they do not need or really desire warm to temperate wet areas. This gives them the widest possible range, and thus, should make them the most common and prominent of their race. Seeing themselves everywhere they know of, it's conceivable they're quite full of themselves. I feel I'll need to put more thought into them, but I don't know where to take them as of yet.

Dragons - I think I've already fleshed out our dragons general attitude earlier. They're long lived, wise, benevolent but fierce... Their focus is towards magic; It's where they get their warmth and weapons. They are peaceful in their relations in general, but they remain tough competitors. Ultimately, they do not seem too mobile, though I don't see them having any problem with sharing space, but I wouldn't think they'd take lightly any attempt to simply take.

Troglodytes - Troglodytes have the shortest range of the reptiles without assistance. They'd need warm clothing to move to temperate areas and live through mild winters, and higher latitudes are right out. They share the same environments as their cousins, but with their stench ability, they might be able to preserve their spaces. I think they'd generally prefer isolating themselves.

Lizardfolk - Lizardfolk are in a range slightly greater then Troglodytes, but less then Kobolds. Being the most similar to Troglodytes, they might be more willing to interact with each other, but that might be limited. Despite being different species, I think Lizardfolk and Troglodytes might be in the same boat.

-----

Rakshasa

For the most part, Rakshasa do not encounter anyone other species. I think one of the most important observations I've made while working on this is that competition determines advancement the most, followed by the intelligence to compete. Not only must a species compete, it must compete against something different; Something that would expand the mind on how it thinks. So, this leaves us with only the slim number of Rakshasa across the desert from the humans and elves to develop. For them, I want to cover them in the next section, as we already have a personality developed for them.

-----

Gnolls

Likewise, Gnolls are rather isolated until late, and only across a narrow territory. Of course, having a narrow territory with which to compete across is advantageous for our late comers, and will give that specific group an advantage with which to return to conquer later... *ponders*

But yeah, I'm supposed to be developing a personality for these guys. Being Nocturnal, they really aren't going to see too much of other species to begin with, however, once they do, I'm sure they'll use their darkvision to its best advantage. Considering their nature, it's possible they will see others as 'inferior' for not having this development. They do need more work.

-----

Coming Next: Conflict Resolutions

I apologize for slowly dwindling in thought capacity. My internet has been bugging all day and has made my mind rather frayed :smallfrown:

King_of_GRiffins
2008-05-31, 04:53 PM
We have three areas of contact on our map, of which I'm going to be focusing my energy on developing into playable campaign areas. Of these we have;

-Human and Elven Lands on Border with Rakshasa
-An area divided between Kobolds, Goblins and Hobgoblins, and Dwarves
-A large swath of land inhabited by Reptilians with Goblinoids moving in, divided as;
--Lizardfolk with Hobgoblins/Bugbears
--Dragons and Lizardfolk with Orcs
--Troglodytes with Orcs, Goblins and Hobgoblins
--Kobolds with Gnolls and with Goblins and Hobgoblins

-----

Humans, Elves and Rakshasa

Humanoid Campaign Region

Human Lands (http://usera.imagecave.com/Griffin/NewWorld/HumanElfCampaign1.jpg)

Many years ago, our ancestors heard the call of the gods and traveled the great path, seeking new fauna to hunt and lands to inhabit. Together, the Humans and Elves went south and crossed the mountains and deserts and plains before arriving at Clear Lake. Many Elves looked around and decided it was a good place to stay, and settled there, while the rest continued with the humans and went east and across the same desert once more to find new lands.

To the humans dismay, they found yet another desert which needed crossing, but decided against doing so. Instead, they settled in the grasslands before the desert, in waiting for the next call before continuing to spread to new lands. And so it was, to the North was settled Highhill, and to the South was settled Nearwood.

The Great Path: The Great Path is the highway left behind by the Humans and Elves as they traveled. As told by the gods on their revealing, they traveled as far as they could, leaving as large and lasting a trail as possible so they may always be connected with their motherland.

Clearlake: This settlement is the first and farthest on elven lands, with paths leading further south. It is the largest settlement in the region, and though primarily inhabited by elves, contains many humans as well.

Brightwood: Brightwood is a generally peaceful if entirely untamed wilderness. The most predatory of animals here are bears.

Southern Desert: This desert is a barren, elevated waste where no rivers can run to and receives nearly not rainfall. Minor fragments of life manage to exist in this area, but few and far between.

Northern Desert: The Northern desert, while receiving plenty of rainfall, has soil so poor no plant life cannot grow. It is littered with pools and oasis's, and is home to Cloud Rays and Rocs, whom use the area to nest and fly elsewhere to hunt.

Highhill: A settlement evenly mixed of humans and elves. It lies on fertile hills inhabited by wild horses, predated on by Blink Dogs and Hippogriffs. Nearby to the north are two settlements of Halflings who made their own way south.

Nearwood: The closest supplier to wood to Highhill, it facilitates the majority of trade to Highhill, and receives much of the trade with Clearlake. It has prospered enough to spread settlements an oasis to the east and to the sea, and has recently begun receiving metalwork from a dwarven settlement that moved into the base of the mountains to the north several years ago.

-----

Humans and Elves: Humans and Elves see little difference between each other, though each is slightly better in some crafts than the other. They share a lot of brotherhood with each other, and it is not bizarre to have mixed families of Humans and Elves with half-elven/human children.

Dogs and Blink Dogs: Humans and Elves domesticated dogs and brought them along on their travels, and upon reaching Highhill, attempted domesticating Blink Dogs as well for their natural abilities. Attempting to capture them has failed, but a few have willingly begun working with humans and elves. Blink Dogs are treated with respect, as their intelligence has been greatly noted.

Religion: Thoughts?
-----

The Rakshasa: Rumor is that across the desert there are creatures like Humans and Elves, but covered in fur with faces and claws like cats. Most bizarre of these creatures, or Rakshasa as they have been heard to be named, is that their hands are inversed, with the palm being on the top rather than the bottom. Tales say that they are malevolent and savage, hunting and eating Men and Elves whenever they can....

-----

Tech: The most advanced weaponry and armor is bronzed, available for purchase from dwarven traders. Attacks made with bronze weapons takes a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls. The best armor available is Bronze Breastplate, whose armor bonus is +4, and Max dex is +4. Bronze objects are worth twice as much as listed.

Weapons made of Bone and Stone are available, cost half as much as listed, and take a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls.

-----

Adventure Ideas: People going into the Northern Desert and disappearing is not odd, but people leaving in the middle of the night to head there and not returning is. As part of militia, you are to go out to the desert and search for signs of these missing people. It is suspected Rakshasa may have something to do with this...