PDA

View Full Version : You'll never guess what I didn't use for this melee class [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-23, 03:31 AM
Axiomatic BelieverAnyone who gets the Firefly reference gains an additional 1,000 bonus XP.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/111126.jpg
Pommel, warforged axiomatic believer.

There are those out there that say the only way to improve one's body with one's mind is through profuse rage. The axiomatic believer is a warriors that improves his body and combat abilities through sheer determination and a focus so great it taxes their body as though they had been in a state of rage. They are masters of striking hard and fast to deal more damage with a forceful strike than they would have been able to normally.

HD: d12

Requirements
Alignment: Any lawful
BAB: +7
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Intimidate 10 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Steadfast Determination
Special: Must have at one point had the rage class feature, but lost it due to obtaining a lawful alignment.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Swim, Survival and Swim.
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Raw focus, rage at heart
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|DR 1/--
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Precision force
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Instant focus, blade of law
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Greater focus
6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Mettle, DR 2/--
7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Hardened frame
8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Greater precision force
9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Tireless focus
10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Endless Focus, DR 3/--
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Axiomatic believers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Raw Focus (Ex): The landmark ability of the axiomatic believer is it's raw force of will to enhance his physical and combat abilities. This is a feature nearly identical to the barbarian's rage class feature, but with several distinct features. At first level, you gain a +4 to your Str and Con scores, as well as a +2 bonus to all saving throws. Unlike the rage class feature, you may use this ability and skills or abilities that require concentration and focus, in fact while in this state, the believer gains a +4 bonus to all Concentration checks.
This ability can be used only once per encounter, and lasts a number of rounds equal to 3+your (newly improved) Con modifier. When exiting your raw focus state, you are considered fatigued for a number of hours equal to your axiomatic believer level minus your Con modifier(minimum 1). Entering this ability is a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Additionally, you may continue to level as a barbarian despite your lawful alignment, though you still cannot use the rage class feature. If you ever lose your lawful alignment, however, you lose all the benefits of your raw focus class feature and can no longer level as an axiomatic believer.
Feats or abilities that effect rage, such as Extend Rage or Intimidating Rage work just as effectively on the Raw Focus class feature.

Rage at Heart (Ex): You have forsaken your chaotic former life, but deep down you are truly the wild spirit just encased in a rigid shell. You gain a bonus to your Will saving throws while using Raw Focus equal to the amount of times per day you would have been able to rage if you still had a chaotic alignment. This stacks with the bonus granted by Raw Focus.
Additionally, if you have the fast movement class feature from the barbarian class, upon taking the first level of this class, it increases to +20 feet if wearing medium or light armor and carrying a medium load of less.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 2nd level, your intense focus allows you to utterly ignore blows to a certain degree. You damage Damage Reduction 1/-- at any point at which you are awake. At 6th level, this increases to 2/-- and at 10th level it increases again to 3/--.
This stacks with other similar damage reduction granted by other classes, but not feats or magic items.

Precision Force (Ex): Unlike a savage barbarian, you don't merely hit as hard as you can, you strike tactfully with all the force you can muster. When using the Power Attack feat while in a state of using the raw focus class feature, the bonus granted to damage increases. When using a one-handed weapon, the bonus to damage is 3 more for every 2 taken from your attack, and if using a two-handed weapon, it is 3 more damage for every 1 from your attack.
This feature utilizes a both the character's force of will, and Iron-like determination to land the blow. As such, the character himself must place the blow, a blow from horseback lacks the precision necessary for such a blow, and as such, this feature is unusable while mounted.
If the character attempting such a maneuver is not firmly based in his attack, such as when attempting a Leap Attack, the target must be Flatfooted for this feature to take effect.

Instant Focus (Ex): At 4th level, you become more adept at entering a state of focus without an expenditure of time to speak of. You may now use your raw focus class feature as an instantaneous action instead of a free action.

Blade of Law (Su): At 4th level, your dedication to order and law has grown to the point where even your strikes carry a measure of this unyielding dedication. Even your weapons channel this implacable will. From this point on, your attacks count as lawful-aligned for overcoming damage reduction. At 8th level, your inexorable wills growth is reflected in the fact, that now your attacks, and any weapons you wield. count as both adamantine and lawful for overcoming damage reduction.

Greater Focus (Ex): At 5th level, your utter focus in combat is yet improved. The bonuses to your Con and Str scores from the raw focus class feature increase to +6, the bonus to saving throws increases to +3 and the bonus granted to Concentration checks increases to +8.

Mettle (Ex): At 6th level and above, an axiomatic believer can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If they make a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping axiomatic believer does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Hardened Frame (Ex): Your body is a powerful hardened structure hardened by your very force of will. At 7th level, you gain a bonus to your hit points equal to your base will save plus your axiomatic believer level. These hit points are only active while using the raw focus class feature.

Greater Precision Force (Ex): At 8th level, your ability to use your raw strength and utter precision in combat improves ever further. When using the Power Attack feat while using your raw focus class feature, and using a one-handed weapon, the bonus to damage is 2 for every 1 taken from your attack, if using a two-handed weapon, it is 4 damage for every 1 from your attack.

Tireless Focus (Ex): At 9th level, your ability to keep your body strong in the face of taxing it is perfected. You no longer become fatigued for any amount of time when exiting the raw focus class feature. You can still become fatigued by other means unless fortified against those already.

Endless Focus (Ex): At 10th level, your state of utter focus is a mental constant. From this point on, you are considered to constantly be using the raw focus class feature, unless asleep or unconscious. This taxes your mind and body to a point, so each night, the character must make a DC 25 Will save or be unable to sleep due to the tenseness of their body.

leperkhaun
2008-05-23, 03:54 AM
if you are going to use this. becarefull of anyone that will use a chrager build with this.

intreasating take on rage.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-23, 06:18 AM
My guess would be ToB-style maneuvers & stances. That's great, if you ask me. Although I've always envied your talent for design, & I have nothing against Tome of Battle (fabulous book), it's refreshing to see a more straightforward melee class.

Great job here, Krimm. It's always a pleasure to see your work.

RTGoodman
2008-05-23, 11:17 AM
Due to the precise footing and anatomical maneuvering, this class feature cannot be used while mounted, and the character must have both feet planted firmly on the ground to use.

Best thing ever. See, if the designers at WotC would have just thought things through, there'd be no horrendous stacking of PA damage like there is now.

In general, I like the class. From what I can tell, the DC 25 Will save to sleep shouldn't be that hard - the guy would have +7 from this PrC, maybe +3 or so from his previous classes, +3 from being constantly in Raw Focus, and then a lot for his Con score (from Steadfast Determination and his Raw Focus Con boost). I guess that's be a +20 or more, making it a 5 or higher on the die. Seems good. Can this check be repeated, though, or is it just once per night?

Stycotl
2008-05-23, 01:23 PM
very cool. reminds me of the warmind. i like the flavor, though it strikes me as one that could work for even non-ex-barbarians.

also, maybe if this allows you to continue advancing as barb, but you can no longer rage, maybe barb levels should give you something else. maybe fast movement increases instead of rage, or something else. otherwise, i see it as still spending the level to gain a class that is now a lot lighter-weight without its main feature--the rage. just a suggestion, and i haven't actually taken the time to think about possible repercussions.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-25, 06:19 PM
Krimm made it, but it contains neither Tome of Battle nor evil outsiders! I do not understand!

Looks mostly good overall. One thing: "When exiting your raw focus state, you are considered fatigued for a number of hours equal to your axiomatic believer level minus your Con modifier(minimum 1)." That penalizes you for increasing in level, since the higher your level the longer you are fatigued. It certainly doesn't gimp the class, though, so it doesn't need to be taken out. Also, as leperkhaun noted, Precision Force can be broken by an ubercharger. Other than that, there's nothing that isn't praiseworthy.

Lappy9000
2008-05-25, 06:37 PM
Snaps! I'd love to use this class in my campaign. I have a friend who always plays barbarian and may welcome the change (or not, since he usually breaks down open tavern doors and intimidates random NPC's into buying him booze).

lord of kobolds
2008-05-28, 08:02 AM
OOOO!
OOOO!
I know what you used!
A barbarian.
good job though, really.

Norr
2008-05-29, 11:45 AM
if you are going to use this. becarefull of anyone that will use a chrager build with this.

Say what you will, I would rather allow the party lancer to use this class than the Frenzied Berserker.

Also, I have always wanted to see a lawful barbarian. I mean, some of them are honorable savages, not hack-'n-sack marauders.