PDA

View Full Version : looking for a star wars fan or two

TheRiov
2008-05-23, 09:59 AM
Ok here's the deal. I'm GMing a very complicated campaign. A huge part of the campaign involves a number of secrets hidden from the players. (each character is hiding things from each other, and all of them have various forces working against them)

The problem is twofold. My OCD is forcing me to keep everything within established canon. I >THINK< I've got it pretty well wrapped up there. The second part is I'm having trouble balancing all my factions & Politics and motivations and making sure I've got them all going seperate ways. (I've got like 10-12 factions involved total)-- What I need is a couple of star wars fans willing to just listen and offer critiques and help me brainstorm. (and point out huge glaring flaws in my plots) No SW rpg knowledge at all needed. I just need an outside perspective to see the plotholes I've missed. PM me if you would be willing to just read over the synopsis I have, (and maybe back-read through some some older threads to see where we are) --and critique.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-23, 10:04 AM
I'm passing familiar with Star Wars. Unfortunately, I'm rather bad at plotting and writing campaigns, as my usual strategy is to have a beginning, an ending, and throw in whatever sounds good in between.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-23, 10:36 AM
I'd help. I can't promise (good) advice, but I'll share what I have.

loopy
2008-05-23, 11:12 AM
I have a lot of movie and Expanded Universe knowledge, which I gladly place at your disposal. :smallsmile:

I know quite a lot about everything right up until the New Jedi Order series, because I wasn't really a fan of where they took the series from there.

Tom_Violence
2008-05-23, 11:27 AM
Why not just simplifying things a touch? 10-12 different groups seems a bit much. My advice would be to sit down for a bit and just a bring that number down some. Hopefully it should be possible to still have a rich and deep campaign without having to make it so that your players need to carry a small encyclopaedia with them.

Rogue 7
2008-05-23, 11:48 AM
Just post it up here and let the hive mind take a look at it. I've got a semi-decent early EU knowledge (Rogue Squadron and the Thrawn Trilogy), so I've got a decent idea of the Iceheart era and Thrawn's counterattack.

TheRiov
2008-05-23, 11:51 AM
one of my players posts here ;-)

TheRiov
2008-05-23, 11:54 AM
removed and deleted

pendell
2008-05-23, 02:36 PM
So we have three issues:

1) Too many factions

2) Down ending.

3) Not enough space battles.

My suggestions:

1) Cull the herd. If you have multiple factions with no common chain of command working at cross-purposes, have some inter-faction violence which results in only 1 faction left. If you don't want to pit them against each other, you can have some 3rd party (bounty hunters, Imperials) all but wipe out one or two, and the survivors consolidate in the last one.

All this violence, if it could be moved into space, could give you some space battles, helping to address #3.

2) Recommend that you allow the heroes a moral victory by evacuating some percentage of the population a la battle of Hoth. Make the exact percentage that they save dependent on their actions. So rather than the downer of "The planet was destroyed by Railroad plot and there wasn't a thing we could do about it" -- this gives them a faint ray of hope ("We couldn't stop the Imperials, but at least we saved some") and a feeling of accomplishment.

So they're not fighting to stop the Imperials and save the planet -- if the Empire wants any planet in the SW galaxy badly enough 1 BBY, it *will* get it -- they're fighting to buy enough time to allow some percentage of the inhabitants to escape. Persuading the inhabitants to evacuate could be a miniadventure as well, if you wish.

In addition, this could spawn a sequel campaign where the heroes are trying to find a safe place for the refugees while being hunted by the Empire, Bounty hunters, slavers, and anyone else interested in acquiring a bunch of force-sensitives.

3) What kind of space battles are you looking for? Short shoot-outs a la the Millenium Falcon escaping the Death Star? Or grand melees between awesome fleets a la the Battle of Endor?

The first is trivial. Simply add some interplanetary travel into the campaign. Different information sources/macguffins on different planets or moons or space stations. Once they're in transit, you can throw in as many random space encounters as you like -- pirates, bounty hunters, Hutt slavers, ancient robots brought to life, whatever. You can even recreate the Odyssey if you wish.

The second -- this can also be done. What you do is you change the climactic battle at the end into a multi-battle campaign.

Who says the Imperial fleet has to show up right in planetary orbit? There's the reconaissance battle (shooting down patrols to prevent the Imperials from learning too much about the planet), the logistics battle (the fleet needs food, fuel, and supplies on all kinds. Attacking the logistics train of freighters could impede the Imperial Fleet while also giving the good guys some daring raids). There's battle around the gas giant or whatever (suppose there's a giant gravity well in the system that the Empire is forced to hyperspace to -- you could have a preliminary engagement there). Golan Defense Fortresses in high orbit. Then the actual battle for the planet itself. Then -- if you decided to have an evacuation convoy -- there's a rear-guard action to allow the convoy to escape. And so on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.