PDA

View Full Version : So what's so bad about she-hulk?

krossbow
2008-05-23, 03:49 PM
Hey, curious. I was watching old strongbad e-mails, and Strongbad makes a remark about a comic book alternate reality in which he says "who's writing this crap, teh genius's behind she-hulk?"
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail150.html

Curious because i have absolutely no clue about that series; what things is that joke referencing?

Tirian
2008-05-23, 05:31 PM
The H*R Wiki (http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page) wishes to be your friend.

Matt and Mike were evidently just pulling a B-list comic name out of their hat, and by the kookiest chance they just happened to pick a John Byrne-inspired cult favorite whose still-semi-unretconned superpowers include fourth-wall breaking in exactly the sort of way that Strong Bad is doing in the comic.

Gundato
2008-05-23, 05:38 PM
Not really the answer you wanted, but She-Hulk really annoys me:

The main problem with her is that she tries too hard. When Deadpool breaks the fourth wall or does something zany, you laugh (or cringe), but it still feels natural.

With She-Hulk, it feels like she goes from each spectrum WAY too often.

"Oh no, my boyfriend has become a werewolf again and is on the other side of the SHRA. Of course, we all forgot which side I was on, but you get the picture. Oh woe is me. Here, I'll put on this hat. See, it is funny because I have a zany hat!"

Dode
2008-05-24, 06:47 AM
The name says it all...

She-Hulk

North
2008-05-26, 01:18 AM
Umm She-Hulk rocks.:smallcool:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/northqwerty/shehulkv106cbrpage12fv7.jpg

Tengu
2008-05-26, 02:59 AM
People don't like She-Hulk for the same reason they don't like Squirrel Girl - because they want their comic books to be dark and edgy and can't bear to see light-hearted stories in the same universe as their beloved Wolverine Insert Anti-Hero Name Here.

Khanderas
2008-05-26, 09:10 AM
This thread makes me want to read more she-hulk.
Granted the name IS stoopid, but hey, so is He-man's name.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-26, 11:10 PM
People don't like She-Hulk for the same reason they don't like Squirrel Girl - because they want their comic books to be dark and edgy and can't bear to see light-hearted stories in the same universe as their beloved Wolverine Insert Anti-Hero Name Here.

I thought everyone hated angst these days. (Not that it stops them from buying anyways)

kpenguin
2008-05-26, 11:35 PM
I thought everyone hated angst these days. (Not that it stops them from buying anyways)

That was what I thought too.

I also thought everyone loved funny heroes like Squirrel Girl or Deadpool.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-26, 11:43 PM

I don't even read comics and I like Squirrel Girl.

Lord Galen
2008-05-27, 05:46 PM

I thought everyone liked what everyone else liked and thats how the Big Two decided what was flavour of the day to reinvent their heroes as.
Saves on actual creative thinking.

mentatzarkon
2008-05-29, 12:10 PM
Personally, the light-hearted characters are my favorites. I recently read the new Howard the Duck series, where he's defended by She-Hulk (she's a lawyer!) and found it to be immensly enjoyable. It lambasted everything from the media to Bush Jr!

Lord Galen
2008-05-29, 04:22 PM
Personally, the light-hearted characters are my favorites. I recently read the new Howard the Duck series, where he's defended by She-Hulk (she's a lawyer!) and found it to be immensly enjoyable. It lambasted everything from the media to Bush Jr!

Oh, definitely. When done right, funny in the funny books is great... I was just feeling grumpy... no coffee.
And not to threadjack, but the original Howard series; by far one of the most original and bizarre books ever put out by the majors. I think Steve Gerber may have had some damning photos of someone high up at Marvel, cause he was given an unheard of amount of creative license.
one of the villains was that crazy lady on the bus. You know the one.

UglyPanda
2008-05-29, 05:15 PM
She-Hulk isn't a bad character, it's simply that there wasn't much thought put into her creation and that's why strong bad mentioned her. She was only created for legal reasons when the producers of the Hulk TV series were considering introducing a female version of the hulk. Marvel naturally had to create their own version before the TV series revealed theirs.