PDA

View Full Version : Iron Warriors vs Earth

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-23, 08:36 PM
An Iron Warriors Battle Barge (I don't know if they usually use Battle Barges, but for this instance they do) owned by an average, standard sized, Grand Company of Iron Warriors (1000 IW, not counting any slaves, soldiers, or cultists they may have with them, or vehicles) comes to Earth (they don't realize its Earth for whatever reason, they just aim to conquer it) and demands we surrender, after which the UN promptly say no. The Iron Warriors nuke Hong Kong, and begin their usual tactics. How long will it take the Iron Warriors to conquer Earth?

Some information on the Iron Warriors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Warriors)

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-23, 08:40 PM
With battle barge? however long it takes to make demonstration landings/strikes against major US, Russian, Chinese, and European cities/military bases. Nothing we have can scratch the barge, so this gives them nearly unlimited mobility. I'd say a week at max before all major countries are lost.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 08:43 PM
Barring any black tech that we know nothing about, maybe 30 minutes.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-23, 08:45 PM
With battle barge? however long it takes to make demonstration landings/strikes against major US, Russian, Chinese, and European cities/military bases. Nothing we have can scratch the barge, so this gives them nearly unlimited mobility. I'd say a week at max before all major countries are lost.

Well for the sake of this situation, they aren't going to bomb the planet flat. They want everything intact as possible (which is to say, if they have to siege a couple cities and destroy a couple districts fine, they just don't want to blow everything up) so use of the Battle Barge will be very sparing.

Edan
2008-05-23, 09:12 PM
Based only on my view of other WH40k vs threads, earth has no chance. Nothing we have would touch the marines, let alone their barge warship of doom.

It has been argued that high fantasy and advanced sci-fi civilizations would be conquered, or destroyed. There is no way that our relatively pathetic earth has a chance when civilizations greater than our own fail so dramatically, so rapidly.

Time frame for total defeat: 7 hours.

But since it is earth and humans being so damn resourceful, I would bet that either because of deus ex machina, plot armor or some other hand wave, earth somehow comes out on top, but only because of that.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-23, 09:14 PM
The big thing is that they can fire normal shells down for kinetic bombardments, so all major military based are gone, and that takes carte of most of the heavy equipment, which would be necessary to defeat a massed, well run invasion by 40K in general.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-23, 09:41 PM
The big thing is that they can fire normal shells down for kinetic bombardments, so all major military based are gone, and that takes carte of most of the heavy equipment, which would be necessary to defeat a massed, well run invasion by 40K in general.

Yea, but based on their general combat doctrine, if their threats don't work, after they use bombardment to soften up targets they go straight for landing and killing.

GoC
2008-05-23, 10:03 PM
Nothing we have would touch the marines
That is untrue. Their armor isn't that far advanced from our own as bolters (0.75 explosive rounds) can destroy it. The battle-barge on the other hand...

Yea, but based on their general combat doctrine, if their threats don't work, after they use bombardment to soften up targets they go straight for landing and killing.
I thought you said Space Marines are smart?
Anyway I give this one to the Space Marines unless that battle-barge moves slow enough for a nuke to hit it.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 10:06 PM
The ground forces are a non issue. It's the Battle Barge thats the problem.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-23, 10:08 PM
That is untrue. Their armor isn't that far advanced from our own as bolters (0.75 explosive rounds) can destroy it. The battle-barge on the other hand... Well, you still probably won't make much progress.

I thought you said Space Marines are smart?
Anyway I give this one to the Space Marines unless that battle-barge moves slow enough for a nuke to hit it.

And I thought YOU were smart. They like to set up their fortresses as soon as they can, and gain a foothold. And really, if they want to take the world at least somewhat intact, blasting it with their ships guns over and over isn't going to help. Besides, they bring in enough artillery and ordinance that its not going to be much of a problem. Really, all this does is give them a chance to set up a fortified position to begin their domination, and withstanding and using sieges to their fullest extent is the Iron Warriors strong point, its what they do.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 10:15 PM
If they don't have the Battle Barge then every ICBM in the world is just launched at their fortress. Good Bye Iron Warriors. If they have the Battle Barge then (barring black projects we know nothing about) they win because they can attack anything they want with complete impunity.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-23, 10:17 PM
If they don't have the Battle Barge then every ICBM in the world is just launched at their fortress. Good Bye Iron Warriors. If they have the Battle Barge then (barring black projects we know nothing about) they win because they can attack anything they want with complete impunity.

They HAVE the BB, they just aren't using it excessively, its essentially enough to keep anything like ICBM's out of the way (an obviously large threat) but its not going to just blast the Earth away.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 10:26 PM
They HAVE the BB, they just aren't using it excessively, its essentially enough to keep anything like ICBM's out of the way (an obviously large threat) but its not going to just blast the Earth away.

If they have the BB then the earth nations surrender pretty much immediately unless some secret tech we know nothing about actually exists.

Let's say that Stargate is actually real. If thats the case (or something like it) then earth would win in a heatbeat. If we go by tech that earth is known to currently possess then we lose in about 30 seconds.

LBO
2008-05-24, 05:31 AM
Barring any black tech that we know nothing about, maybe 30 minutes.
Basically.

onasuma
2008-05-24, 05:37 AM
Earth has it beat. By the time iron warriors exist, we'll have obital cannons, dozens of titans, and whatever those golden marine people are called. Easy.

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-24, 06:39 AM
Iron Warriors conquering earth, hmm, assuming we get stubborn and refuse to surrender?

( 40,041.47km (mean circumference of the globe) x .621 (to get miles) (because one of my figures is in miles and the other isn't) ) / 2 (I only want half way around) = 12432.88 miles.

2.5 miles an hour is not an unreasonable pace for varied ground (assuming transport across water) so that means 4973.15 hours or just over 207 days.

207 days is out absolute maximum. That assumes that they simply lay down a barrage at walking pace and fan out, blowing up all resistance as they go. A perfectly valid and viable tactic. Assuming we don't surrender.

That is the very longest. In more realistic terms? I say perhaps a few days (mostly because the Iron Warrior tactics involve pulverizing and them moving on, it will take a few days for the nations opposite Hong Kong to decide that all is hopeless), about a year before the rebels and resistance attacks stop.

puppyavenger
2008-05-24, 10:06 AM
Iron Warriors conquering earth, hmm, assuming we get stubborn and refuse to surrender?

( 40,041.47km (mean circumference of the globe) x .621 (to get miles) (because one of my figures is in miles and the other isn't) ) / 2 (I only want half way around) = 12432.88 miles.

2.5 miles an hour is not an unreasonable pace for varied ground (assuming transport across water) so that means 4973.15 hours or just over 207 days.

207 days is out absolute maximum. That assumes that they simply lay down a barrage at walking pace and fan out, blowing up all resistance as they go. A perfectly valid and viable tactic. Assuming we don't surrender.

That is the very longest. In more realistic terms? I say perhaps a few days (mostly because the Iron Warrior tactics involve pulverizing and them moving on, it will take a few days for the nations opposite Hong Kong to decide that all is hopeless), about a year before the rebels and resistance attacks stop.

Also, Titans, and Termanators, and demons, and dreadnaughts.

GoC
2008-05-24, 11:56 AM
And I thought YOU were smart.
I doubt that.:smalltongue:
Anyway I think you should know that that's technically flaming.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-24, 12:20 PM
I doubt that.:smalltongue:
Anyway I think you should know that that's technically flaming.

I think you should know I technically don't care. Maybe this is the time when you realize its worth it to reassess what you say to someone else. You don't have to psychic to realize saying "I thought you said Space Marines were smart" would be something I find insulting.

GoC
2008-05-24, 01:12 PM
I think you should know I technically don't care. Maybe this is the time when you realize its worth it to reassess what you say to someone else. You don't have to psychic to realize saying "I thought you said Space Marines were smart" would be something I find insulting.

Why would you find that insulting?:smallconfused:
Anyway as you've stated you don't care that you've been flaming I've taken the liberty of reporting your post.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-24, 01:13 PM
Why would you find that insulting?:smallconfused:
Anyway as you've stated you don't care that you've been flaming I've taken the liberty of reporting your post.

1. Its said that you can't figure that out
2. Congrats on being petty.

GoC
2008-05-24, 01:55 PM
2. Congrats on being petty.

You need to be taught that the forum rules aren't just for show.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-24, 02:02 PM

And you need to be taught that overreacting is BAD. Me responding in kind to an insult given, and then you reporting me for flaming, isn't just petty, its insulting in its own right. Maybe if I'd started railing on you and called you a dumbass or something you'd be right, I said "And I thought YOU were smart" in response to something I (obviously) found insulting. This is not grounds to go whine to the mods.

freerangetroll
2008-05-24, 02:02 PM

I really have to keep myself in check on these boards. The WoW forums and associated others have really spoiled me in the freedom to express your views in whatever way you feel catagory.

LBO
2008-05-24, 02:08 PM
Come to 4chan. It's fun as hell.

GoC
2008-05-24, 09:46 PM
I really have to keep myself in check on these boards. The WoW forums and associated others have really spoiled me in the freedom to express your views in whatever way you feel catagory.

Yeah, sometimes I wish this forum was less well moderated. I'm still bitter over my 100 infraction points.

EvilDMMk3
2008-05-25, 06:52 AM
Come to 4chan. It's fun as hell.

And about as good for your metal health...

Seriously that turn of phrase always did confuse me. 9 out of 10 theologians agree, hell is not fun. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NineOutOfTenDoctorsAgree)

Darke
2008-05-25, 06:58 AM
Earth has it beat. By the time iron warriors exist, we'll have obital cannons, dozens of titans, and whatever those golden marine people are called. Easy.

I would have assumed that this was current earth and 40k Iron warriors.

IMHO just destroy America and australia will tumble, then Britain and the eastern powers. and antarctica, just for fun.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-25, 07:01 AM
I would have assumed that this was current earth and 40k Iron warriors.

It is, Onasuma is just using one of those annoying as sin loophole arguments.

konfeta
2008-05-25, 10:42 AM
Well, this depends entirely on which time line we use. If we go by the one where Einstein gibbed Hitler, the Soviet Union dominates Europe, then Brotherhood of Nod loses the war two times in a row, and so on...

Say, that would be an interesting fight. GDI or Nod or both versus a Space Marine chapter with no Superweapons/BattleBarges attached.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-25, 11:24 AM
This is modern real Earth I'm talking about. Like right now time line, in real life.

Eita
2008-05-25, 08:31 PM
Yeah, sometimes I wish this forum was less well moderated. I'm still bitter over my 100 infraction points.

He was making a jibe at you and your running to the mods I believe.

Ossian
2008-05-26, 03:11 AM
Earth, as being mainly inhabited by humans, is inherntly set up for self/screw up. As soon as orbital bombing ensued and started damaging the main defensive facilities (i.e. missile silos) owned by the first target, the way I see it, the "second in line" target would just hit the "nuke" button and land the finishing blow.

We are a bit lacking in global defensive coordination. In fact, we work on impairing the other nation´s efforts to coordinate its own forces with those of their allies. Imagine if a cohesive forse of thousands of gods of war decided to attack our planet. They´d just have to hit target 1, then wait and see what happens over the next few hours. Heck, they probably should intervene to stop WW 3, if they wanted to have a planet capable of sustaining live and not "the wasteland"

hanzo66
2008-05-26, 05:18 AM
1. If Earth is hit from a strike from the Battle Barge, are you sure the humans will be sure that it's an attack from space and won't decide automatically that it's an attack from another nation?

2. In my opinion with the currently publicly-known Earth Military technology Earth can really only go on the defensive.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-26, 05:39 AM
1. If Earth is hit from a strike from the Battle Barge, are you sure the humans will be sure that it's an attack from space and won't decide automatically that it's an attack from another nation?
Yes. At least all the countries that matter in something like this will.

GoC
2008-05-26, 05:30 PM
He was making a jibe at you and your running to the mods I believe.

You're right.

My apologies Lord_Asmodeus.

hanzo66
2008-05-26, 05:55 PM
Really? I would just assume that if the Battle Barge strikes Earth, the paranoid population will essentially tear itself apart in a World War.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-26, 06:09 PM
Really? I would just assume that if the Battle Barge strikes Earth, the paranoid population will essentially tear itself apart in a World War.

Highly unlikely. The only nations that really matter are the US, Russia, and China. All of Africa and South America are non issues. Most of Asia is likewise irrelevant (does Burma have enough power to do anything for instance?). And the other nations will follow the lead of one of the big 3. Neither Russia or China would move, first the strike would be to sudden and surprising and second, who would they move against? Neither Russia or China will move in Asia without an agreement from the other to sit it out, they are to close to each other. Which leaves Russia moving west into Europe. That is something they know is sure to generate a response from the US. And that response would be unpleasant. Russia can't neutralize the US because of the US's missile sub fleet. And the US won't move to attack. And again, this all assumes that any of the major powers can launch a lighting war with no planning and complete surprise (highly unlikely).

So by the time anyone could really capitalize on the situation, it will have been clarified and all of earths powers will have surrendered to the Iron Warriors simply because they have no way of even damaging the battle barge.

LBO
2008-05-26, 06:20 PM
And about as good for your metal health...

Seriously that turn of phrase always did confuse me. 9 out of 10 theologians agree, hell is not fun. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NineOutOfTenDoctorsAgree)
It's an interesting hell, rather than a boring heaven. And the devil has all the best tunes.

Seriously, where else would you get a hundred-post argument on the nature of grimdark (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1788654/) in a matter of minutes? The ANGRY F***ING MARINES (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1803225/)? Mostly Armless? (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1821066/) This is one board (admittedly the best), and it chucks out utter epicness several times a day. 4chan is an environment in which the craziest crap thrives, and though so much of it is miserable, mediocre or just plain foul, the extremes of awesome are above and beyond anything else.