PDA

View Full Version : D&d Rts!?

Azaa
2008-05-24, 12:13 AM
As I would think most of you know what RTS stands for and probally has played one at least once in your life time. Anyway I and a couple of other people got this idea from what started out as a fan made spell/item book that was going to be free for download. While we were taking in ideas of what people were giving us we came across this guy who said it would be really cool to have a sort of Rise Of Nations setting. Through 1 whole month came the final idea: D&D RTS: Rise Of PC's, cheesy name I know but it works. Now that the idea has been placed we are starting on a beta for it. We dont have a date for when the beta rules are going to be released for willing testers, but we do know its not going to be within a month. Or maybe even two months, to tell you the truth we have no idea.

So to get to the point of why I am posting this thread on here even though its not going to be fully done in a long time. We need testers, we also need people to post fourms on other sites. We are open to ideas aswell.

Ok, im sure you want to hear about the game right? Well to make a very LOOOONG 7 page paper with are jotted out ideas short, I will list the most interesting things about this RTS. First of all the PC's dont have just one charecter, they have armies! This is an RTS remember? And just like D&D it is endless! If one player wants to have an army of goblins then go ahead! Go make an army of goblins! But there is always a price. Every thing in the world the DM makes for the players starts out very primitive. Like a bow would be a thrown rock. DM's still get the same power they have always had, but some more. For instance if a player wants to turn that rock in to a sling shot (We call it the Level Up Action) the DM says what the player has to do before that rock becomes a sling shot. So for example the DM says kill the goblin tribe to the east. The player has to complete that or else he/she wont get there sling! We the developers have played three games with basic rules and just plain ignoring the holes still left. And from experience has come to a conclusion..... we cant stop playing. Of course thats just us you migth not like it or even completely hate it! But you still have to give it a try...

If you want to hear more about are little games or some of the rules we have existing already then just ask.

jagadaishio
2008-05-24, 04:51 PM
There is already an Eberron RTS. It's neat. You should check it out for ideas for your game. I would also be interested in playtesting it when it hits beta. Feel free to drop me a PM then.

throtecutter
2008-05-24, 05:13 PM
That's really cool, I'd be willing to help.

Flickerdart
2008-05-24, 06:13 PM
Finally, a system to control the Elan/Warforged Leadership/Handle Animal Commoner build. With no rules to control the massive amounts of Chickens or cohorts, those guys were way too overpowered.

Kizara
2008-05-24, 08:25 PM
Well, have you ever played Heros of Might and Magic? (3 and 5 are the best)

Honestly, that and Battle for Middle-Earth 2 are the closest you are going to get a "DnD RTS" game. Good luck competing with those production values btw.

BFME2 is a very good RTS game btw, although not for those that want something really casual. One of the hardest, and most rewarding, RTSes I've ever mastered. Honestly, playing that game well (especially when you like the very expensive-but-squishy elves) is painfully hard.

Another example would of course be Warhammer Fantasy, as that is pretty much exactly what you want for a 'tabletop army game'.

That all being said, if someone managed to make a DnD-style RTS that wasn't garbage, I would definately check it out.

As a final note, your OP is pretty wall-of-texty, you might want to present it a bit better.

Kizara
2008-05-24, 08:27 PM
There is already an Eberron RTS. It's neat. You should check it out for ideas for your game. I would also be interested in playtesting it when it hits beta. Feel free to drop me a PM then.

Really? They made Eberron into an RTS game? What's it called?

Azaa
2008-05-25, 01:19 PM
I'd think we'd be able to compete in the FREE RTS games, but not priced. We have heard of many D&D RTS games but we havent heard of a Rise Of Nations sort of way. Anyway for those who do want to test it thank you. And again were still looking for people to post a thread on different fourms.