PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead in Narnia

Draz74
2008-05-25, 02:33 PM
For those of you who have read the Narnia books, and under the assumption that they are going to finish making movies for all of the Narnia series, I have a few short words to throw out.

Alan Rickman as Puddleglum.

Awesome? I think so.

Revlid
2008-05-25, 03:38 PM
For those of you who have read the Narnia books, and under the assumption that they are going to finish making movies for all of the Narnia series, I have a few short words to throw out.

Awesome? I think so.

Seconded with a vengeance.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-05-25, 03:39 PM
It's been a long time since I read The Silver Chair, but wasn't Puddleglum supposed to be a sort of young & happy creature? I have trouble mentally associating those qualities with the actor who played Snape.

kpenguin
2008-05-25, 03:45 PM
It's been a long time since I read The Silver Chair, but wasn't Puddleglum supposed to be a sort of young & happy creature? I have trouble mentally associating those qualities with the actor who played Snape.

*giggles*

Puddlglum was an exceptionally cheerful marshwiggle, which means that he was exceptionally cynical and melancholy by human standards.

Perfect idea.

bluewind95
2008-05-26, 07:56 AM
Actually....

that's a great idea. I always imagined Puddleglum as talking in a slow, kind of deep voice. The actor who played Snape is quite fitting for the role.

I do hope they continue with the Narnia series. They're doing a pretty good job at it, I think.

kpenguin
2008-05-26, 01:05 PM
I'm wondering how they're going to introduce "The Horse and His Boy"... it really does seem like a sidestory to the main series.

bosssmiley
2008-05-26, 01:54 PM

Awesome? I think so.

He's following in Tom Baker's footsteps, so he'd better be!

Pic related:
http://www.ulujain.org/images/marshwiggle.jpg

adanedhel9
2008-05-26, 02:17 PM
I'm wondering how they're going to introduce "The Horse and His Boy"... it really does seem like a sidestory to the main series.

I seem to recall they only intend on doing the five "main" books. No The Horse and His Boy; no The Magician's Nephew.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-05-26, 02:21 PM
no The Magician's Nephew

What? Dangit! That was the only one I really wanted to see!

Tirian
2008-05-26, 02:44 PM
It's a sensible decision; it would just be a one-shot for the "kids" in that one, whereas following the main timeline starts with the four Pevinsie children and then introduces Eustace in the third movie and Jill in the fourth and finally reunites them all (mostly) in the end of the final movie. The Magician's Nephew is like The Hobbit -- you can make it later if you really want to. I trust that no one wants to see A Horse and His Boy. :smalltongue:

I'm not worried about Puddleglum, I'm more worried that they find someone good to play Eustace. If he doesn't stand out in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader then no one is going to green light The Silver Chair which is going to have to star him.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-26, 03:05 PM
Huh, was Prince Caspian any good? I sort of gave up hope after The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe disappointed me.

Flickerdart
2008-05-26, 03:22 PM
If you liked the book, it doesn't keep in line a lot. If, like me, you read it ages ago and have fond, non-concrete memories, it's nice.

Magician's Nephew, as an origin story, wouldn't have a large enough audience until the other 5 are all out. And if they're really desperate for cash, A Horse and His Boy could potentially come out decently.

factotum
2008-05-26, 03:23 PM
I trust that no one wants to see A Horse and His Boy. :smalltongue:

Actually, I think that book was one of the best in the series, quite possibly because it didn't follow the same set of annoying kids that the others did...

Tirian
2008-05-26, 04:20 PM
Actually, I think that book was one of the best in the series, quite possibly because it didn't follow the same set of annoying kids that the others did...

True, but are the adventures of a boy with an annoying horse and an annoying princess all that much of an improvement? Factor in the nearly complete lack of Narnian wonder (i.e. virtually no talking animals other than the two horses) and a highly uncharitable depiction of pseudo-Islam, and I think they're making the only sensible choice. Honestly, I don't know why Lewis thought that this story needed to be told.

DeathQuaker
2008-05-26, 07:37 PM
He's following in Tom Baker's footsteps, so he'd better be!

Yep. Heck, I'd love to see Tom Baker do it again!

DomaDoma
2008-05-26, 09:45 PM
I'm not going to see The Last Battle. That book was subtle and enjoyable as a frying pan to the skull. The rest, though, I'd see, including Horse and his Boy.