PDA

View Full Version : How many Space Marines would it take to storm Mordor?

Zenthar
2008-05-26, 03:28 PM
Is one enough? Two? Ten? Fight!

13_CBS
2008-05-26, 03:45 PM
Space marines armed with what? And from what chapter? Do they have vehicles? Terminator squads? Librarians?

Tengu
2008-05-26, 03:50 PM
The Sauron vs WH40K thread might be dead, but it seems it has an identical twin.

LBO
2008-05-26, 03:52 PM
...May the Emperor have mercy on my soul.

Zenthar
2008-05-26, 03:56 PM
Space marines armed with what? And from what chapter? Do they have vehicles? Terminator squads? Librarians?

I DON'T KNOW ASK LBO

Tengu
2008-05-26, 03:59 PM
If they are immune to Sauron's influence (aka WH40K fanboy version), than even one is enough, as his enemies doesn't have enough firepower to even dent his armor.

If they are not immune to Sauron's influence (aka Sauron fanboy version), than an infinite amount won't be enough, as such Knight Templars (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar) will easily get corrupted by him on the spot and the only thing they do is strengthen his forces.

Zenthar
2008-05-26, 04:00 PM
If they are immune to Sauron's influence (aka WH40K fanboy version), than even one is enough, as his enemies doesn't have enough firepower to even dent his armor.

If they are not immune to Sauron's influence (aka Sauron fanboy version), than an infinite amount won't be enough, as such Knight Templars (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar) will easily get corrupted by him on the spot and the only thing they do is strengthen his forces.

What if Sauron makes A LOT OF ORCS AND TROLLS jump on the space marine? What if he drowns him in blood?

Starlong
2008-05-26, 04:04 PM
I just want to say that I saw the title of this thread and burst out laughing. Thank you for that brief moment of incapacitating hilarity :)

thubby
2008-05-26, 04:05 PM
What if Sauron makes A LOT OF ORCS AND TROLLS jump on the space marine? What if he drowns him in blood?

he is a space marine, i can only hope they come equipped with life support.

sikyon
2008-05-26, 04:07 PM
I'd say at least a company, given the strength of a balor/sauron/witch king.

Eldan
2008-05-26, 04:08 PM
No. They are REAL MEN and fight without helmets. At least the officers.

Tengu
2008-05-26, 04:14 PM
No. They are REAL MEN and fight without helmets. At least the officers.

Yeah, everyone knows Spare Marines are too badass to breathe, eat, sleep (okay, this one's actually canon), poop, get killed by anything short of a moon crashing into one or fail to instantly shred something larger than a bacteria to pieces with their bolters the second it appears in their field of view.

chiasaur11
2008-05-26, 04:21 PM
Yeah, everyone knows Spare Marines are too badass to breathe, eat, sleep (okay, this one's actually canon), poop, get killed by anything short of a moon crashing into one or fail to instantly shred something larger than a bacteria to pieces with their bolters the second it appears in their field of view.

But do they know why kids love Cinnamin Toast Crunch?
Because if they do, mankind is doomed.

Dorizzit
2008-05-26, 04:56 PM
That would depend. If the Space Marine has

A. Had all his limbs broken

B. Been stripped of his armor and weapons

and

C. Is a main character

then Sauron is doomed, for he is a SPACE MARINE.

If, on the other hand, there are numerous Space Marines well kitted out and with numerous support groups, then they will be wiped out/turned by Sauron. Seriously. Space Marines suffer from the Inverse Law of Ninjas, except for Space Marines.

GoC
2008-05-26, 05:03 PM
One.sometext

EDIT: There's simply nothing in mordor capable of damage him.

The Duskblade
2008-05-26, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't be sure on that. A troll could probably mince a Space marine.

DraPrime
2008-05-26, 05:16 PM
No. A troll could probably just hold him down and keep him from firing his weapons. Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, if the trolls all gang up to carry the space marine (one stepping in to hold him the moment one of them gets killed) then they could probably carry him over to Mt. Doom and toss him into the lava. If a ring of power can be destroyed that way, so can a space marine.

Stormthorn
2008-05-26, 06:16 PM
At least a squad. See, siege weapons and Trolls and whatnot might kill off the occasional Marine (trolls gotta have a strength of at least 7). And it might seem impossible but a single Mairne could die of exhaustion trying to fight through tens of thousands of berseking ork bodies.

DraPrime
2008-05-26, 06:21 PM
Also, wouldn't it be rather difficult for them to kill Naz-gul?

SurlySeraph
2008-05-26, 07:11 PM
Also, wouldn't it be rather difficult for them to kill Naz-gul?

Well, depends on whether they count as men or not. If all the dehumanizing modifications make them inhuman, then they can win. If not... they're screwed.

I'd say it would take at least 20 marines to conquer Mordor. The sheer numbers of orcs can knock them down and pry their armor off, the Nazgul can pick up and kill some of them, and trolls can break some of them.

Raider
2008-05-26, 07:17 PM
That would be a great deleted scene....

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-26, 07:24 PM
One does not simply storm into Mordor with a company of space marines.

Zenthar
2008-05-26, 07:44 PM
One does not simply storm into Mordor with a company of space marines.

Dum dum dum dum!

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-26, 07:46 PM
Dum dum dum dum!

Well, someone had to say it.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-26, 07:54 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/87366880_1b05bf99e2.jpg

Unless, of course, one is a Noise Marine of Slaanesh.

@V: A foul 4channian abomination!
Unlike the Angry Marines, which are an awesome 4channian abomination.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-26, 08:04 PM
Or a disco marine.

Eita
2008-05-26, 08:16 PM
Or a disco marine.

Hail the Discodancers of the Emperor!

I am so going to make that Chapter now.

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-26, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=SurlySeraph;4374665]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/87366880_1b05bf99e2.jpg

Unless, of course, one is a Noise Marine of Slaanesh.

I KNEW he looked familiar.

GoC
2008-05-26, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't be sure on that. A troll could probably mince a Space marine.

I thought marines tear tanks in half?:smallconfused:
Anyway, I doubt a troll can break armor that is immune to smallarms fire.

I'd say it would take at least 20 marines to conquer Mordor. The sheer numbers of orcs can knock them down and pry their armor off, the Nazgul can pick up and kill some of them, and trolls can break some of them.

I'm curious as to how they can pry off armor made of such strong materials. And wouldn't the marine just shoot the nazgul? How would it even manage to pick him up? Power armor is very heavy and the SM will weight at least a ton (polar bears weigh half a ton and have a density about one eighth of iron).

btw: Where is that blasted WH 40K fanboy when you need him?:smallfurious::smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2008-05-27, 01:00 AM
I thought marines tear tanks in half?
Anyway, I doubt a troll can break armor that is immune to smallarms fire.

Well, look at it like this. A military jeep is immune to small arms fire but i doubt the people inside would survive if an old Panzer descided to ram it.

And the Marine tearing the tank apart couldnt do so without a power fist.

As for shooting ringwraiths...when was the last time you saw a bullet put down a ghost? Granted they have physical forms but not ones that normal weapons could stop. Not the witch king at least.

Now when it comes to orks prying off armor, i dont doubt that it would take many thousands of them to do so, but all they would have to do is pull it apart at the joints where no plating would be present. In fact, once you got past the bolters it would probably happen fairly fast. The warhammer 40k orks often chop heavily armored foes to bits with normal axes.

Not to mention that a lot of Marine commanders dont wear helmets.

The best way to get a sense for how a Marine would fare in a tide of orks is to watch a swarm of ants slowly pull and hack apart a larger bug with a tough exoskeleton. Or watch a zombie movie.

Narmoth
2008-05-27, 01:43 AM
A librarian should be able to resist the corruption of Sauron.
Note also that those who were corupted, like the ringwraiths took the first step themselves, accepting the rings as gifts. That's part of the morale in the LOTR, that their lust for power makes them slaves.

Now, a librarian (who is a lot more powerfull than an ordinary space marine, costing about 115 points rather than 20) should be albe to blast his way to the tower and attack Sauron in person. Only one problem excist: he has no good way of destroying Sauron.
After all, even the destruction of Numenor by Illuvatar, the prime deity of Silmarillion, didn't kill him.

Any Space Marine survives regularily attacks the strength of a troll by various Tyrranid thingies and Chaos Demons. What orcs without guns can do you'll have to ask somebody that plays 40k orcs, but I think he or she will admit that it's not much.

LBO
2008-05-27, 03:15 AM
btw: Where is that blasted WH 40K fanboy when you need him?:smallfurious::smallbiggrin:
Off to /tg/, sick of your crap.

As for shooting ringwraiths...when was the last time you saw a bullet put down a ghost? Granted they have physical forms but not ones that normal weapons could stop. Not the witch king at least.
Sword. Face. Witch king goes BOOM.
I'd call that both a "normal weapon" and "stopping".

Narmoth
2008-05-27, 04:57 AM
I'm curious as to how they can pry off armor made of such strong materials. And wouldn't the marine just shoot the nazgul? How would it even manage to pick him up? Power armor is very heavy and the SM will weight at least a ton (polar bears weigh half a ton and have a density about one eighth of iron).

Where do you get the power armour weight from?
Also, if you haven't noticed, a large polar bear is 3,5 meters high.

Ossian
2008-05-27, 09:48 AM
I am afraid it is going to take a lot more than dozens of orcs. The little runts cannot take down people like the champions of middle earth, can you imagine how many legions one should be able to coordinate to take down a buffed bastard lives ender like a SM?

Turin:
Bio engineered: not check
Long range anti tank weapon: not check
Years of experience in the most gruesome battles: not check
Power sword or equivalent: check
Armor level: non powered infantry light armor

Living legend of human warriors...

GoC
2008-05-27, 10:01 AM
Well, look at it like this. A military jeep is immune to small arms fire but i doubt the people inside would survive if an old Panzer descided to ram it.
A panzer weighs 70 tons and is made of hard and inflexible materials.

A flood destroyed their physical forms.

If that were true then us playgrounders would have had an easy win in the playgrounders vs. Space Marine thread.

Off to /tg/, sick of your crap.
What "crap"?:smallconfused:
Nice to see everyone's still civil.
And what is "/tg/"?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-27, 10:09 AM
And what is "/tg/"?

An unholy hybrid of this board and the gaming one, which has produced some of the finest, if not THE finest, gaming-related win ever, but where 60% of those present are trolls.

Rutee
2008-05-27, 10:14 AM
An unholy hybrid of this board and the gaming one, which has produced some of the finest, if not THE finest, gaming-related win ever, but where 60% of those present are trolls.

Only 60%? Poison Fish gave me a much less charitable estimate.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-27, 10:16 AM
Nah, the tripcoders are all fairly steady, and are found in much greater abundance than the other boards.

LBO
2008-05-27, 10:23 AM
Except RMD.

What "crap"?
Your trolling and baiting. It's getting seriously tedious.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-27, 10:25 AM
Yeah, but Doc Aquatic makes up for many ills.

Verruckt
2008-05-27, 10:32 AM
Ah /tg/ I love thee so

also, may this be required reading for all vs. 40 k threads, as it grants greater understanding to those who wonder why us 40k fanboys take to these threads whilst head banging and killing things with our massive nerd rage fueled ork-ons:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1440633/images/1206935277075.jpg

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1440633/

As to the question at hand, the nazghul are dealt with by a marine politely asking them whether or not they think he is a "man" whilst forcing them to fellate his well oiled, long, black, steely bolter. Sauron is destroyed by having Temperus Maximus walk up and shout at him until he dies from sheer directed hate.
So to answer the question, the angry marines first company.

The Angry Marines
ALWAYS ANGRY!!!
ALL THE TIME!!!

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-27, 10:51 AM
They would say something else, but, on these boards, it would look like a string of asterisks.

Stormthorn
2008-05-27, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Stormthorn

A panzer weighs 70 tons and is made of hard and inflexible materials.

Quote:

A flood destroyed their physical forms.

Quote:

If that were true then us playgrounders would have had an easy win in the playgrounders vs. Space Marine thread.

Well, Panzer's do weight a lot more than Trolls, but Trolls are a lot heavier (probably at least six tons) than Space Marines. They cant weight more than what? 500 or 600 pounds and still have enough muscle mass to move, even with the augmentations. Trolls ont he other hand are 12 feet tall and considered to have great strength for their size. Their skin could easily turn aside light weapons fire although many bolter shells would get through (a sword thrust against a troll once resulted in the sword being damaged. Sword are slower but weight a lot mroe than bullets) and eventualy cause enough tissue damage to kill the troll.

Yes. A flood destroyed their physical forms. Floods also carry massive amounts of energy. Im having computer trouble so i cant find a number but a large river is very powerful. Anyways, you might note that the flood didnt kill them. They came back. You would need a chaplain or librarian to have any chance of preventing them from returning.

I dont doubt that we could take a squad of space marines. We would die in large number but we would do it.

Remember Rorkes drift? Those guys barely made it againt of force of squishy human zulus that only outnumbered them like 28 to 1. Out space marines will foce of against a much larger force, they wont have a fort, and the orks will have supernatural forces and siege weaponry.

EvilElitest
2008-05-27, 11:25 AM
Never heard of them actually

Anyways, wasn't there a rule back there. Yeah there was, right next to "Thy shall not invade Russia by land" and "Thy shall not attempt to take Great Briton by the English Channel" there was "Thy shall not combine Warhamme 4K with LoTRs........ever
from
EE

Vikingkingq
2008-05-27, 11:40 AM
Couple squads of Grey Knights could do it. Psykik/Inquisitorial training deals with the corruption/magic issue. Stormbolters would deal with the orcs and trolls and whatnot. And I'm fairly confident that forceweapons would deal with the Naz-gul.

But of course, silly exercise to begin with, etc.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-27, 12:19 PM
So to answer the question, the angry marines first company.

The Angry Marines
ALWAYS ANGRY!!!
ALL THE TIME!!!
Semper Iratus. :smallbiggrin:

LBO
2008-05-27, 12:35 PM
WHAT WAS THAT? I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW ****ING ANGRY I AM.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/LBO_photos/angrymarines.jpg

Verruckt
2008-05-27, 03:00 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/Jerisalem/SemperIratuscopy.jpg

a tribute to the win of the previous post, and also my current desktop background :smallbiggrin:

LBO
2008-05-27, 03:26 PM
Ee, it's nice to be appreciated :smallbiggrin:

(Didn't draw that. Wish I had. ._.)

GoC
2008-05-27, 05:26 PM
Your trolling and baiting. It's getting seriously tedious.
What trolling and baiting?:smallannoyed::smallannoyed:
Do you even know what trolling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29) is?:smallsigh:

GoC
2008-05-27, 05:33 PM
Well, Panzer's do weight a lot more than Trolls, but Trolls are a lot heavier (probably at least six tons) than Space Marines. They cant weight more than what? 500 or 600 pounds and still have enough muscle mass to move, even with the augmentations. Trolls ont he other hand are 12 feet tall and considered to have great strength for their size. Their skin could easily turn aside light weapons fire although many bolter shells would get through (a sword thrust against a troll once resulted in the sword being damaged. Sword are slower but weight a lot mroe than bullets) and eventualy cause enough tissue damage to kill the troll.
Wait... are we going by the movie or the books?
Trolls are just large orcs in the books, not the massive, unintelligent, creatures in the film.

Yes. A flood destroyed their physical forms. Floods also carry massive amounts of energy. Im having computer trouble so i cant find a number but a large river is very powerful. Anyways, you might note that the flood didnt kill them. They came back. You would need a chaplain or librarian to have any chance of preventing them from returning.
True, but they don't have to kill the nazgul permanently, just storm Mordor.
A large river is powerful but it's energy is very very spread out, both in space and in time.

I dont doubt that we could take a squad of space marines. We would die in large number but we would do it.
Nice to see someone agrees.:smallamused:

Remember Rorkes drift? Those guys barely made it againt of force of squishy human zulus that only outnumbered them like 28 to 1. Out space marines will foce of against a much larger force, they wont have a fort, and the orks will have supernatural forces and siege weaponry.
I admit siege weaponry is going to hurt but how would they aim? Medieval era siege weaponry is very inaccurate.

EvilElitest
2008-05-27, 08:57 PM
Trolls are just large orcs in the books, not the massive, unintelligent, creatures in the film.

Um, no they are not, they are entirely different entity, one that has reisistent to most monsters

from
EE

Innis Cabal
2008-05-27, 09:00 PM
You should avoid these EE. Really you should run screaming from the playground. This be bat country

EvilElitest
2008-05-27, 09:02 PM
You should avoid these EE. Really you should run screaming from the playground. This be bat country

actually, in hindsite, i don't think i need to get involved
from
EE

GoC
2008-05-27, 09:04 PM
Um, no they are not, they are entirely different entity, one that has reisistent to most monsters
That was just a simile. They are in fact different species but they are roughly the size of large orcs.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-27, 09:06 PM
actually, in hindsite, i don't think i need to get involved
from
EE

Your a wiser man then i. Even if you like V threads there is a level of diminishing return

Stormthorn
2008-05-27, 09:08 PM
Wait... are we going by the movie or the books?

Im using the stats in the books and background material like the Sil.
In the books they where slighly smaller (but still big enough to be considered a corruption of the Ents), significantly smarter, and came in different flavors ranging from the fast to the supernaturaly strong.

EvilElitest
2008-05-27, 09:10 PM
Your a wiser man then i. Even if you like V threads there is a level of diminishing return
I think i'm just going to sit around and watch from here on, because this seems a little...........absurd

That was just a simile. They are in fact different species but they are roughly the size of large orcs.

They are near ent size
from
EE

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-27, 09:12 PM
In keeping with tradition of another forum I go to... one, at sufficient velocity. :smallbiggrin: