PDA

View Full Version : LRR Interviews Uwe Boll

Caledonian
2008-05-26, 08:29 PM
No, it's not a skit, a joke, or a performance. Graham actually talked Uwe Boll into talking to him for about forty-five minutes, and the highlights are in this week's video (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/330/an_interview_with_uwe_boll).

I'm guessing Boll didn't know about the rant from Season One...

The regularly-scheduled humor will resume next week.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-26, 09:00 PM
This interview almost makes him seem like a director. Instead of you know, the walking atrocity that he is.

edit: And now having finished watching it....

He's an idiot. He seems to have no awareness of that he's in actuality a bad director. It's hilarious to see him complain about all these other movies. Yeah, there isn't anything particularly interesting showing on the big screens, but it's not like his movies are any better. He seems to be completely unaware of that he's made bad movies.

To invoke TV Tropes, an Uwe Boll movie is going to be Cowboy Bebop at his Computer (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyBebopAtHisComputer). What he does is insult the original material.

The fact that people don't respect him seems to be fair because he doesn't respect the source material, nor the fans.

Making things "edgy" by making it ridiculously violent? No wonder no one is paying attention to postal. He's not actually doing anything significant at all there! Violence that's there for no purpose means that there's no purpose.

And, we find out the obviousness of that Uwe Boll was in fact trolling. And now he's trying to pass it off as being "post modern". He's not a Discordian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordian). He's a man full of himself.

His low budget trash is not trash because it's low budget. It's trash because it's trash.

When I heard about the Hitman Movie, I wondered if it was being directed by him. I wonder if it had, if anything would have been different. (Not that I watched it. It screamed terrible.) Actually it probably would have. It'd be bad and it would have a lot of gratuitous violence.

He doesn't know how to use violence. He doesn't know how to direct. He doesn't know how to be subversive. All he does know how to do is be a jerk.

And he doesn't seem to know how not to be one.

Caledonian
2008-05-26, 09:23 PM
I know - I'm quite surprised as well.

The LRR cast aren't exactly fans of his work - see Uwe Boll Decision 2008 (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/320/uwe_boll_decision_2008) and PSA: Uwe Boll (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/53/psa_uwe_boll).

Icewalker
2008-05-27, 07:34 PM
Just watched this then came here to post in the thread about the petition, and found this instead.

I found it interesting. Although I haven't seen any, it seems pretty agreed upon that he makes bad movies, but he makes some interesting points, such as the idea of comparing everything only to the groundbreaking greatest in the genre.

Of course, I don't know if his movies are good enough to compare favorably with other crappy movies.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-27, 08:10 PM
Y'know what, people?

I realized he is a complete, asinine moron who deserves to be hang, shot, poisoned with barium salts, and then have a ritualistic naked victory dance performed above his dead body the moment he said "Edgy".

There might be exceptions, but so far, every celebrity whom I regard as completely irredemable idiots has used "edgy", and I'm firmly convinced ANYONE who says "edgy" in that context is an idiot. There might be exceptions, but I'm willing to back this statements up with examples.

EvilElitest
2008-05-27, 08:54 PM
The writer of Shredded Moose used Edgy as well actually, i think a pattern can be noticed

Maybe the word drains you of your soul
from
EE

Icewalker
2008-05-27, 09:41 PM
Wait, edgy? Didn't he use it in the context of "pushing boundaries?"

That seems pretty accurate, especially given his following description of the edges of common genres in movies. Also, he pretty clearly isn't perfect in English...so it seems a bit harsh to judge him based on that.

Judge him based on his overall *******-ish attitude towards other directors!

Dode
2008-05-27, 10:59 PM
Some serious nerdrage in this thread over a guy "wrecking" video-game based movies.

turkishproverb
2008-05-28, 01:47 AM
Some serious nerdrage in this thread over a guy "wrecking" video-game based movies.

Erm. He tried to sue the people behind the Bloodrayne games because they wouldn't make her look like the actress he hired.

He refused to admit lying out his teeth about having the MGS license, despite the fact Konami seemed insulted by the idea, and said they would never involve someone like him.

The physical violence towards critics.

Frankly, I could easily hate him if his movies were GOOD.

Athaniar
2008-05-28, 05:41 AM
One thing I am very, very happy about is that Blizzard declined ("No! Absolutely no!") his "generous offer" to make the Warcraft movie.

Turcano
2008-05-28, 06:19 AM
He doesn't know how to use violence. He doesn't know how to direct. He doesn't know how to be subversive. All he does know how to do is be a jerk.

And he doesn't seem to know how not to be one.

Boll is actually a very public example of a common sociological trend: people are often so bad at something that they don't even know what good is. The seminal paper "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments" (http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf) goes into more detail, but essentially people who perform poorly at something tend to have wildly inaccurate perceptions of their own abilities. It's also apparently the driving force behind cranks.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-28, 10:05 PM

Video game movies are serious business (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness)! :smalltongue:

Dode
2008-05-31, 09:50 PM
Boll is actually a very public example of a common sociological trend: people are often so bad at something that they don't even know what good is. The seminal paper "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments" (http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf) goes into more detail, but essentially people who perform poorly at something tend to have wildly inaccurate perceptions of their own abilities. It's also apparently the driving force behind cranks.
I dunno, Postal is pretty awesome.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-01, 01:37 AM
I dunno, Postal is pretty awesome.

The thing about Postal is that it's so ridiculous that it's hard to get it wrong. It might be the one Movie Uwe Boll was capable of making.

But I can't see him not ruining it anyways.

Dode
2008-06-01, 01:54 AM
The thing about Postal is that it's so ridiculous that it's hard to get it wrong. It might be the one Movie Uwe Boll was capable of making.

But I can't see him not ruining it anyways.
I'm watching it and it delivers.

It has Boll himself dressed like a keebler elf going on about how his movies are funded by Nazi gold, then the Taliban spray gunfire into him and a crowd of paraplegics and children. Meanwhile, Verne Troyer punches 8 year old kids in the balls out of the way as he runs to safety and it just gets better and better and-
I mean, I suppose you could be watching one of those best selling "____ Movie" spoofs instead (seriously, Boll is Kubrick compared to Friedberg & Seltzer).

Dervag
2008-06-01, 02:03 AM
One thing I am very, very happy about is that Blizzard declined ("No! Absolutely no!") his "generous offer" to make the Warcraft movie.Blizzard is smart enough to know that they could make scores of millions off a Warcraft movie, and that they could also make sequels if they wanted to. If Uwe Boll makes the movie, they lose all that- they make far less money and no one will watch the sequels.

Most game designers don't care as much about protecting the movie rights to their intellectual property.

Some serious nerdrage in this thread over a guy "wrecking" video-game based movies.Aside from his personal jackassery, the problem is something like this.

Someone sees a work they enjoy, be it a book, a videogame, a play, whatever.

Then somebody does the movie and makes a complete hash out of it. Perhaps they simply purchase the right to use the name of the previous work and create a movie that has nothing to do with the original work (this happened to the novel Starship Troopers, for instance). Perhaps they simply decide, of their own volition, to change every key element of the original novel, play, or game.

In and of itself, this wouldn't be so bad, but now anyone who hears about the original work will think of the terrible movie. This has already happened to Starship Troopers. Widely regarded as one of the best works of science fiction ever written, it is contaminated in the minds of the general public by the idiot-tactics and gung-ho fascism found in the movie.

To make matters worse, there is no chance that the wrong done to the original artist's vision will be made right in the near future, because I can't make a movie with the title X if someone else made a completely different movie with the same title and already owns the movie rights. No one can make a good Starship Troopers movie to erase the effects of the bad, despite the fact that it would not be that difficult to make a good movie.

So the creators of bad movies like this are essentially wandering around through the space of intellectual property, eating the movie rights to good works and excreting terrible movies.

To make matters worse in Uwe Boll's case, he does it intentionally, all the time, knows he's doing it, and doesn't care. This is extremely insulting to people who actually, y'know, like the original works he's making such a hash out of.

Dode
2008-06-01, 02:41 AM
Yes, but you're comparing the material and story behind works like "Starship Troopers" with video games that barely have a plot like "Alone in the Dark". What's next "ERRGGGGHHH UWE BOLL RUINED MONOPOLY: THE MOVIE!!"??

I'm reminded of an interview I remember reading with Alan Moore. The journalist giving the movie eventually brought the topic to the two latest movies adapted from his works (Legion of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell), exasperated, much like you are now, at how he could stand Hollywood ruining his stories. Moore looked at him calmly and sagely gestured towards the bookshelf of his work: "They're all still right there, not a word different from when I wrote them. They're safe."

And that's really all there is to it: public perception of your work thanks to some slipshod mass-marketed pablum adapted from it doesn't truly reflect on the original author or his work. And, unlike comics and books, video games are hardly a niche medium that need to be proven to anyone. Blockbuster games like Halo 3 and GTA4 overwhelm any movie in sales; noone's going to see you play Mortal Kombat 7 and go "Pfft, wasn't the movie really bad?".

And it's not like Boll has been working with classics here.

Dragor
2008-06-01, 04:20 AM
I watched the interview too. Boll doesn't seem to come across as the psychotic prat which everyone seems to label him as. And I agree with Dode- Bloodrayne? Wow, that game had a great plot, didn't it? Far Cry's coming up, and to be honest, the plot isn't much to work on there either.
Guy fights evil professor and his experiments-gone-wrong only in his tropical shirt and has a badass love interest blah blah blah.

Uwe, it seems, wants to bring the video game to the screen- by making it chock full of action. Now, of course, for some of us that isn't the right approach. Okay, for a lot of us, that isn't the right approach. But with games like Bloodrayne, what do you want him to do? Make it in-depth?

Dungeon Siege, too, is basically a hack-and-slash. So, it's amazing if Uwe weaves any sort of plot into the movie version.

Yes, Uwe's bad, but I don't think he deserves the total all-out hate he gets from most people. If you don't like his movies, stay away. If you like the games, then why should you care what the general public think of that game because of the movie? You like that game, and that's what's important, not general public opinion.

Serpentine
2008-06-01, 08:14 AM
If the games have no plot, why make a movie out of them at all? :smallconfused:

Dragor
2008-06-01, 08:37 AM

A very good question Serp.

And one I'm not even sure I can answer! :smalleek:

Vaire
2008-06-01, 08:47 AM

Games today (some of them, at least) are heavily plot based. The best games are the ones with the most interesting plots. Kind of like the old Choose your own adventure books, they let you participate in the creation of the story.

While I don't get upset with Uwe Boll (I don't think it's worth the effort) I will never see another one of his movies. He's just not good. On purpose. That's insulting.

To Serpentine: You are the prettiest snake girl I've ever seen. Was that a good ego boost?

Serpentine
2008-06-01, 08:53 AM
Games today (some of them, at least) are heavily plot based. The best games are the ones with the most interesting plots. Kind of like the old Choose your own adventure books, they let you participate in the creation of the story.I meant specifically the ones Boll's making. Specifically in response to Dragor, who seemed to be saying that all the games he's made movies of have no plot anyway, which really makes one wonder why he bothered trying to make a movie out of them at all.

To Serpentine: You are the prettiest snake girl I've ever seen. Was that a good ego boost?:smallredface: Iiiit's a good start...
On the other hand, how many snake girls have you seen? :smallannoyed:
:smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2008-06-01, 01:20 PM
Yes, but you're comparing the material and story behind works like "Starship Troopers" with video games that barely have a plot like "Alone in the Dark". What's next "ERRGGGGHHH UWE BOLL RUINED MONOPOLY: THE MOVIE!!"??

I'm reminded of an interview I remember reading with Alan Moore. The journalist giving the movie eventually brought the topic to the two latest movies adapted from his works (Legion of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell), exasperated, much like you are now, at how he could stand Hollywood ruining his stories. Moore looked at him calmly and sagely gestured towards the bookshelf of his work: "They're all still right there, not a word different from when I wrote them. They're safe."

And that's really all there is to it: public perception of your work thanks to some slipshod mass-marketed pablum adapted from it doesn't truly reflect on the original author or his work. And, unlike comics and books, video games are hardly a niche medium that need to be proven to anyone. Blockbuster games like Halo 3 and GTA4 overwhelm any movie in sales; noone's going to see you play Mortal Kombat 7 and go "Pfft, wasn't the movie really bad?".

And it's not like Boll has been working with classics here.

You haven't heard about Moore's comments recently, have you? He goes completely nuts whenever they make a movie of his work, says good or bad, it should never be made, and goes slavering about it being theft of his work.

and Alone in the Dark not having a plot? Where have you been?

Turcano
2008-06-01, 02:48 PM
Dungeon Siege, too, is basically a hack-and-slash. So, it's amazing if Uwe weaves any sort of plot into the movie version.

Is it anything like this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/2/25/)?

Dragor
2008-06-01, 02:52 PM
Is it anything like this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/2/25/)?

Yes. In every sense of the word.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-01, 08:39 PM
Yes, but you're comparing the material and story behind works like "Starship Troopers" with video games that barely have a plot like "Alone in the Dark". Um, what? Alone in the Dark barely has a plot? It was one of the earliest games to have a plot period, and one just as intriguing, deep, and frightening as...well, okay, I can't think of any good horror movies, but AitD is a seminal classic with an engaging plot that Mr. Boll completely disregarded. That's why it pisses people off. Now, things like Bloodrayne or Postal, I wouldn't have watched anyway, since they're based off crappy games in the first place. But just because something is a video game doesn't mean it doesn't have a story and intellectual appeal the same as any novel or stage show you want to adapt to film.

Video game movies don't suck because they're based on video games. Video game movies suck because everyone dismisses them as "not having a plot" and directors know this.

turkishproverb
2008-06-02, 12:14 AM
Um, what? Alone in the Dark barely has a plot? It was one of the earliest games to have a plot period, and one just as intriguing, deep, and frightening as...well, okay, I can't think of any good horror movies, but AitD is a seminal classic with an engaging plot that Mr. Boll completely disregarded. That's why it pisses people off. Now, things like Bloodrayne or Postal, I wouldn't have watched anyway, since they're based off crappy games in the first place. But just because something is a video game doesn't mean it doesn't have a story and intellectual appeal the same as any novel or stage show you want to adapt to film.

Video game movies don't suck because they're based on video games. Video game movies suck because everyone dismisses them as "not having a plot" and directors know this.

Seconded. Alone in the Dark was one of the first really creepy games. If it didn't have a plot, I'm actually inclined to ask Dode what he considers to be worthy of the term.

Vaire
2008-06-02, 08:26 AM
I meant specifically the ones Boll's making. Specifically in response to Dragor, who seemed to be saying that all the games he's made movies of have no plot anyway, which really makes one wonder why he bothered trying to make a movie out of them at all.
:smallredface: Iiiit's a good start...
On the other hand, how many snake girls have you seen? :smallannoyed:
:smalltongue:

Only one or two. We mostly see half squirrel people around here. :smallbiggrin:

Didn't Far Cry have a plot? Not the movie, the video game. The movie's not out yet.

turkishproverb
2008-06-02, 01:45 PM
Only one or two. We mostly see half squirrel people around here. :smallbiggrin:

Didn't Far Cry have a plot? Not the movie, the video game. The movie's not out yet.

It did, but Dode seems to think about video games as many people up to the 80s thought of comics (mindless trash)

EvilElitest
2008-06-02, 08:19 PM
I'm just going to second everything Dervage said and add that the movie Fahrenheit 451 is awful
from
EE

Mr. Scaly
2008-06-02, 11:01 PM
To that, I'd like to add that Bolle is an ugly dolt. :smalltongue:

Dervag
2008-06-02, 11:16 PM
And that's really all there is to it: public perception of your work thanks to some slipshod mass-marketed pablum adapted from it doesn't truly reflect on the original author or his work.There is one other problem, actually.

If I like the game, I'd like to see an awesome movie of the game- something that takes the quality of the game and improves on it. Sort of the way a lot of people enjoyed watching the recent Lord of the Rings movies more than they enjoyed reading the novels. The movies managed to duplicate the feel of Tolkien tolerably well, but without some of the drawbacks of Tolkien's work (such as his wordy place descriptions and very long periods with little or no dramatic action or tension).*

*Please don't kill me; I'm not saying the movies were better movies than the books were as books, only that for a lot of people the movies were more fun than the books were/would have been.

Uwe Boll spoils that. Because once he's made a movie of the game Blah, no one else can. So if fans of the game want to see a good Blah movie, they are out of luck. It'll never happen.

To that, I'd like to add that Bolle is an ugly dolt. :smalltongue:Although formidable at hand fighting.

EvilElitest
2008-06-03, 06:01 AM
Boll fought people without the skills to fight back i think, does that count?
from
EE

Tyrant
2008-06-03, 10:17 AM
And, unlike comics and books, video games are hardly a niche medium that need to be proven to anyone.
I believe the number of very high grossing comic book movies (in comparison to the far fewer number of high grossing video game movies) shows that comics don't need to be proven viable to anyone at this point, unlike video game movies. Actual sales of comic books might need to be proven viable, but not the sales of their movies (most of them anyway).

Blockbuster games like Halo 3 and GTA4 overwhelm any movie in sales; noone's going to see you play Mortal Kombat 7 and go "Pfft, wasn't the movie really bad?".

Any movie? Really? I know it's the extreme example, but hear me out. Titanic grossed 1.8 billion dollars Top Worldwide Grosses (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/)That isn't adjusting for inflation or anything like that. That isn't rentals or home video sales or sales of TV rights or soundtrack sales. According to VGChartz (http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508) as of 8/22 there were a grand total of 16.48 million XBox 360s sold worldwide. Now that was before Christmas, but I doubt that number was say, doubled. At $60a game, Halo 3 would have to sell 30 million copies to equal that. So, that means that the XBox 360 would need to have sold another 13 or so million units worldwide since last August and every single person who owned one would have to have bought Halo 3 at full retail. I find that scenario insanely doubtful. The next highest movie is just over a billion dollars in sales. Same scenario (assume there are 30 million oners at this point) now only a little over half of the people who own a 360 have to buy the game. Sorry, needing every single customer you have to buy a game to meet the level of sales of high grossing movies isn't a benchmark I would use to prove the viability of video games. Only a handful of games are going to even approach that level of sales. None will actually hit it (on a single console, though it's concievable it could happen on a mutli console release if it were the greatest video game ever made).

As an example, here are the GTA 4 (XBox 360)sales up to this point: GTA4 Sales (http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7103)
Their worldwide total is 5.23 million. The PS3 version has sold 3.71 million. I believe these are units and not dollars and see no reason to believe otherwise. At full retail, that is almost 536 million (and change) dollars (which assumes that retail is $60 worldwide and that everyone paid that which may or may not be generous). You'll note the numbers are dropping very fast. Now, it hasn't been released in Japan, but I don't expect it to match worldwide sales in Japan alone. I'm not saying that isn't a lot of money because it is a lot of money. And this is probably one of the most popular games around with sales most games will never even come close to.

Blockbusters make over 100 million dollars domestically (not even counting foreign) and there are a few of those every year. A game would have to sell over 1.6 million units (at full retail of $60) to hit that. How many games really do that? In what kind of time frame? Are video games money makers? Sure. Do their highest grossing games really compare to the highest grossing movies? With the number's I'm seeing it realistically can't even be close. And that's only in direct sales. Add in the other ways movies make money that video games barely scratch and it's no contest. Video games could easily overtake movies in sales at some point (and as an industry in it's entirety it may be close in direct sales, but movies don't include the sales of DVD/HD(don't buy this one)/BlueRay players like the video game industry would include console sales), but ona case by case basis no game can claim to top Any movie. Most can't top low level blockbusters.

Vaire
2008-06-03, 12:20 PM
It did, but Dode seems to think about video games as many people up to the 80s thought of comics (mindless trash)

But it's fun mindless trash!:smallwink:

Crow T. Robot
2008-06-03, 04:54 PM
Uwe Boll is Ed Wood without the charm.

EDIT: Or the talent. I've seen Bride of the Monster. It's better then Alone in the Dark.