Abilities: +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
----
Languages: Common, Celestial
Skills: +2 Insight, +2 Religion
----
Golden Nimbus: An unearthly radiance permeates an Aasimar's body, shedding bright light in a 4 square aura around them. An Aasimar can suppress or resume this ability as a minor action.
Angelic Presence: An Aasimar has a +1 racial bonus to all defenses (including AC) while not bloodied.
----
{table=head]Heavenly Beacon (Aasimar Racial Power)
You momentarily shine with all the boundless brilliance of the Upper Planes, searing your foes with its intensity.
Encounter * Radiant
Minor Action Close Burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Con, Wis, or Cha vs. Will
Effect: 1d6 + Con, Wis, or Cha radiant damage
The ability modifier used is chosen at first level and cannot be changed thereafter.[/table]

----

Racial Feats:

Heavenly Harbinger
You are an omen of holy wrath; a herald of the absolute victory destined for the righteous. Gifted with the power to call forth massive columns of deadly celestial energy, there is no doubt that the paragons above are working their great acts through you.
Requirements: Heroic Tier, Aasimar, Heavenly Beacon racial power
Benefit: Your Heavenly Beacon racial power becomes Close Burst 2.

Font of Light
Your soul is a gateway to the Upper Planes, continuously funneling a tiny amount of its power throughout your body.
Requirements: Heroic Tier, Aasimar
Benefit: Every time you deal radiant damage, you deal an additional 1 point.

Enlightened Beacon
Your mortal flesh has become infused with holy power, allowing you to safely draw forth and channel even more of the Upper Planes' light.
Requirement: Paragon Tier, Aasimar, Heavenly Beacon racial power
Benefit: Your Heavenly Beacon racial power uses d10s instead of d6s.

Holy Patron
Whether you know of it or not, a Celestial Paragon is looking down upon you with good favor.
Requirement: Paragon Tier, Aasimar
Benefit: You gain Resist 5 to either Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid, or Thunder. This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time this feat is taken, it must apply to a different element.

kwanzaabot
2008-05-29, 07:11 AM
Well, they're pretty similar to the 3.5 Aasimar actually, but I do like Heavenly Beacon a lot.
I am a little unclear on what "bloodied" means exactly (i've been more or less staying away from 4e news, except for now obviously), but they're still way cooler than the Tieflings.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any art of these guys?

Scintillatus
2008-05-29, 07:18 AM
-1 penalty to all attack rolls is something I'd make a Feat, not a Feature. It's pretty damn good, especially now that those +1s and -1s count for more.

Xefas
2008-05-29, 07:28 AM
Well, they're pretty similar to the 3.5 Aasimar actually, but I do like Heavenly Beacon a lot.
I am a little unclear on what "bloodied" means exactly (i've been more or less staying away from 4e news, except for now obviously), but they're still way cooler than the Tieflings.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any art of these guys?

"Bloodied" means at half hit points or less.

Also, a google image search turned up this. (http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Campaigns/Planescape/aasimar.jpg) Basically human, but with subtle silvery/golden features where there should be other colors.

-1 penalty to all attack rolls is something I'd make a Feat, not a Feature. It's pretty damn good, especially now that those +1s and -1s count for more.

I tried to balance the Nimbus and Presence with the Dragonborn's two racial features, which is "+1 damage when bloodied" and "add your con mod to the amount healed with your healing surges".

Golden Nimbus is a purely non-combat ability, simply alleviating your need to carry a torch (or have the Wizard cast a Light cantrip every 5 minutes), so I figured that it balanced out in the end. (Also keep in mind that an Aasimar's ability scores only give a bonus to 1 save, and not to 2, as with most races, such as the one I was balancing to)

Do you really think it's that unbalanced?

black dragoon
2008-05-29, 07:30 AM
I thought WOTC already had statted up the Aasimar.

kwanzaabot
2008-05-29, 07:37 AM
...I tried to balance the Nimbus and Presence with the Dragonborn's two racial features, which is "+1 damage when blood...

Wait, I thought this was the actual 4e Aasimar. :smalltongue:

Not bad for a homebrew, I gotta say. I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics for 4th edition, so I don't know about balance, but I will say that it's much more interesting than the 4e Tiefling.

Scintillatus
2008-05-29, 08:42 AM
Hmm. I'm not wholly sure, but I suppose the Humans getting +1 to everything else makes it less delicious.

Xefas
2008-05-29, 07:55 PM
Bump. Just added two more racial feats: Font of Light, and Enlightened Beacon.

FoE
2008-05-29, 08:09 PM
I think with the changes that angels have undergone in 4E, there won't be an official version of aasimar as we know it.

arkanis
2008-05-29, 08:15 PM
Would a bright light for 4 squares around them not result in a dim light of 8 squares around them?

Yakk
2008-05-29, 08:27 PM
Thoughts...
+1 to all Defenses while not bloodied is easier to deal with.

The Radiant thing is neat. But damage seems iffy.

What about:
Heavenly Beacon (Aasimar Racial Power)
Encounter Interrupt
Trigger: Bloodied
Burst 1
Enemies: [Stat] vs Will, 1d6+[Stat] radiant damage. Increases to 2d6 at level 11 and 3d6 at level 21.
Allies, but not you, gain 1d4+[Stat] temporary HP. Increases to 2d4 at level 11 and 3d4 at level 21.
[Stat] can be one of Con, Wis or Cha. This is chosen at character creation.

And ... feats.

Font of Light:
Every time you deal radiant damage, you heal your Charisma bonus (min 1).
(doing extra damage is so passe!)

Enlightened Beacon:
Heals from Heavenly Beacon are increased to d8s instead of d4s.

Righteous Beacon:
Damage from Heavenly Beacon is increased to d10s instead of d6s.

Harbringer: as written

Xefas
2008-05-29, 11:27 PM
Would a bright light for 4 squares around them not result in a dim light of 8 squares around them?

Could be. I don't have the books, so I don't know how they're doing light in this edition. This is just a guess to be tweaked in a week when I get the actual books.

+1 to all Defenses while not bloodied is easier to deal with.
True. I'll change that in a minute. I think a "(including AC)" reminder wouldn't be out of place with that, though. In my experience, my players have always thought of AC as AC and as Fort, Red, Will as Defenses. I dunno if anyone else has that problem.

What about:
Heavenly Beacon (Aasimar Racial Power)
Encounter Interrupt
Trigger: Bloodied
Burst 1

I see some problems with this. It's really difficult to gauge when exactly you're going to become bloodied, so it devalues the ability a lot. Not to mention that it'd be really lame to get shot with a ranged attack, have it go off while no one is adjacent, and then it's wasted.

Damage is based off of Dragonborn Breath.

Font of Light:
Every time you deal radiant damage, you heal your Charisma bonus (min 1).
(doing extra damage is so passe!)
That would be very overpowered with an Aasimar Paladin or Cleric. They'd never go down, since they deal radiant damage with pretty much every attack.

Shades of Gray
2008-06-01, 02:45 PM
Make Golden Nimbus suppressible at will. Otherwise it is impossible to play a rogue.

To tie-in with 3.5 Aasimar, make a paragon tier ability that gives it resistance to the elements (Fire, Cold, Lightning, perhaps Necrotic). maybe even as an addition to Angelic Body (or whatever it was.)

Xefas
2008-06-01, 05:54 PM
Make Golden Nimbus suppressible at will. Otherwise it is impossible to play a rogue.

To tie-in with 3.5 Aasimar, make a paragon tier ability that gives it resistance to the elements (Fire, Cold, Lightning, perhaps Necrotic). maybe even as an addition to Angelic Body (or whatever it was.)

Done and done.

Do you think the feat is balanced, though? I've only seen a few of the paragon feats from what has been previewed and what has been leaked on various forums, so I'm not sure how energy resistance stacks up with the whole. I ballparked it at 3+stackable.

EDIT: Maybe 5+"can take multiple times to gain resist to other elements" would be better?

RTGoodman
2008-06-01, 06:11 PM
I don't have books to balance this by, but it looks fine to me and, really, is damn cool. I'm gonna be running the H-P-T modules as a series starting when the Core books come out (my group apparently didn't want to use the preview characters, even if it meant playing 4E way ahead of time), and when I run it these guys will most likely be available for PCs.

Nice work on the other 4E homebrew as well - I haven't commented on it (I don't think), but it all seems great.

Xefas
2008-06-01, 06:27 PM
I don't have books to balance this by, but it looks fine to me and, really, is damn cool. I'm gonna be running the H-P-T modules as a series starting when the Core books come out (my group apparently didn't want to use the preview characters, even if it meant playing 4E way ahead of time), and when I run it these guys will most likely be available for PCs.

Nice work on the other 4E homebrew as well - I haven't commented on it (I don't think), but it all seems great.

Once you start playing, if you think about it, I'd really like to know how they turn out in practical use. Having built a few sample characters with them, they look like they work, but you can never know for sure until they get run through a real adventure.

Any ideas for further homebrewing, by the way? Right now I'm converting a few 3.5 Archons to 4th, but after that, I'm not sure what I'll be doing.