PDA

View Full Version : GM abuse

DizzyD
2008-05-29, 11:23 AM
This is probably a stupid question becaues I'm sure every GM gets a little to high on the thrown every once in a while but I was wondering if anyone has any tactics for bringing them back down to earth a little. Without pissing them off to bad and having my character killed. :smallconfused:

Valairn
2008-05-29, 11:29 AM
In a very mellow way simply say, "Its really hard to enjoy the game when you are ******* DRIVING ME NUTS WITH YOUR **** OBNOXIOUS RAILROADING AND ACTING ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY YOU MERCILESS *****!!!!!!!"

Then stomp off into another room and make sobbing noises.

On a serious note, just talk to him/her about it, preferably not in front of the other players so the person doesn't feel embarrassed or feel like you are trying to guilt trip them.

bosssmiley
2008-05-29, 11:44 AM
This is probably a stupid question becaues I'm sure every GM gets a little to high on the thrown every once in a while but I was wondering if anyone has any tactics for bringing them back down to earth a little. Without pissing them off to bad and having my character killed. :smallconfused:

If your GM is having A God Am I (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AGodAmI) moments a little too often for comfort you could suggest that they might like to take a breather from the slog and just muck about as a PC for a couple of weeks. It's hard work holding an entire game world in your head at once, and even the best of us can feel the strain after a rough week IRL.

Don't criticise your GM directly, and especially don't take out cheap revenge on them when you're GMing; just give them a change to remember what being on the player's side of the screen feels like.

A change is as good as a rest. :smallwink:

Occasional Sage
2008-05-29, 11:45 AM
Some details would help: specific issues, GM's personality... otherwise, what Valairn said. Be direct and polite, communicate.

BRC
2008-05-29, 12:10 PM
What To Do when your DM goes mad with power.
Step zero: Subtle hints, not complaints, just little mentions, only go with this step if you, for some reason, fear confronting your DM directly.
Step One: Confrontation, go to them and state your complaints in a clear, yet non-accusitory manner. Your goal is to remind them to ease up a little, not blame them for things, some handy phrases include:
"So, youv'e been [Insert Reason For Complaint Here] alot recentally, would you mind doing that less."
"Hey, it's kind of annoying when you [Reason For Complaint]"
Stuff like that, ya know. If you can get other members of the group to back you up, that's even better.
Step 2: If direct confrontation fails, offer to GM for abit yourself, see if that cools them off.
Step 3: Repeat Step One.
Step 4: If all else fails, either leave the group, or just grin and bear it.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-29, 12:13 PM
Is it bad that I clicked on this thread hoping for a story about a surly player and his fit of drunken rage towards the GM?

DizzyD
2008-05-29, 01:25 PM
Is it bad that I clicked on this thread hoping for a story about a surly player and his fit of drunken rage towards the GM?

Sorry... now I'm interested, Do you have one?

its_all_ogre
2008-05-29, 01:59 PM
somebody will link up lankybuggers story shortly i feel!

i actually, after reading your post, quickly checked your profile to make sure you're not in my game.

you're not so i feel a little better, slightly paranoid though hey!!:smallredface:

Pie Guy
2008-05-29, 02:13 PM
Demand luck bonuses for no reason. It won't usually work but it did for me. :-)