PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda Movie

Fay Graydon
2008-05-29, 11:24 AM
The other day I was searching around Youtube when I came across this:

The Legend of Zelda Movie (http://uk.movies.ign.com/dor/articles/863515/legend-of-zelda-movie-trailer/videos/zelda_makingof_040308.html)

and after thinking OMFG, WTF and all the other things you think when you see somthing like this, I desided that I would do a bit of investigating to find out more about the film (as you do)...

It turns out it was all an April Fools joke.
But what I want to know is, if they poured money into making an absolutely awsome trailer for a Legend of Zelda Movie, why not just do the film anyway?

(the only thing that made me think it might be false was the fact that "links" hair wasn't bland)

black dragoon
2008-05-29, 11:48 AM
Glad to see I was'nt alone in that response. At first I was scared then as I watched I got those wonderful Nerd-jitters and felt all tingly inside. I almost wish they'd make one but at the same time I feel very reluctant about how well it could be. I mean geez look at the other video game movies out there.:smalleek:

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-29, 11:52 AM
I saw it, and KNEW it was fake in an instant. I wish the same was true of the 2009 DBZ film. >_< Horror of horrors! Why are people so stupid!? :smallfurious:

Athaniar
2008-05-29, 12:06 PM
I SO wich they made this. It could have been real. WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE IT? They had the materials and all...

black dragoon
2008-05-29, 12:07 PM
Yeah I saw it at first on youtube and NO ONE said anything beyond the fact it was a trailer for a movie.
Oh dear god....:smalleek::smalleek:
PLease anything but that! It can't be real.*Mind implosion at the thought of live-action DBZ movie*

Scarblade
2008-05-29, 01:16 PM
Whew, I'm glad it was just an aprils fool joke, a movie like that would really mess things up. There was a cartoon series with The Legend of Zelda once, that didn't turn out so great:smalleek: so I'm glad it's not real:smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-05-29, 03:49 PM
Eh. I don't wish it would be made into a movie. In the end we know that Link will find the mastersword and kill the big baddie.

SmartAlec
2008-05-29, 05:06 PM
Well, we knew the hobbit would destroy the Ring in Lord of the Rings, we knew the ship would sink in Titanic, and we knew the giant gorilla would get shot by planes in the King Kong remake.

UglyPanda
2008-05-29, 05:27 PM
But what I want to know is, if they poured money into making an absolutely awsome trailer for a Legend of Zelda Movie, why not just do the film anyway?
The following:
-They would have to secure the rights from Nintendo. What they did counted as unaffiliated fan work and didn't have to pay squat.
-IGN didn't hire good actors. They hired people who could act okay long enough for a fake trailer and no longer.
-Did you see what Ganondorf looked like? IGN didn't spend that much money on special effects, which ends up costing craptons.
-The trailer was two minutes long. A movie is 90-120 minutes long, it would have cost them much much more to make a movie.
-IGN does not make movies.

Now while I admit a Legend of Zelda movie would be cool, I just don't think that it could be done well. Also, Nintendo has no interest in the Movie business. They stopped caring after the Mario Bros movie has a major flop.

Szilard
2008-05-29, 07:26 PM
I remember seeing the trailer on April Fools.:smalltongue:

Glorytome
2008-05-30, 11:40 PM
The start of the storyline was the main thing that ticked me off about it. The second half of the trailer was sweet though.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-06-01, 10:59 AM
Whew, I'm glad it was just an aprils fool joke, a movie like that would really mess things up. There was a cartoon series with The Legend of Zelda once, that didn't turn out so great:smalleek: so I'm glad it's not real:smalltongue:

Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess!

Geno9999
2008-06-07, 03:00 PM
I would like to see a Legend of Zelda Movie, as long as they stick close to one of the games (like Zelda 1 or 2, LoZ: OoT, LttP).
I just hope that Ganondorf doesn't look like a monkey.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-06-08, 08:37 AM
I saw it, and KNEW it was fake in an instant. I wish the same was true of the 2009 DBZ film. >_< Horror of horrors! Why are people so stupid!? :smallfurious:

Hate to be a serious nitpicker here, but they're not making a live action DBZ movie. They are making are live action Dragonball movie. Big difference there. Dragonball original was based after the old Monkey King stories, and was when Goku was a weird little kid with a tail, and Piccolo was called Demon King Piccolo and was a seriously nasty villain, to name a few differences. It's also being produced by Stephen Chow who did Kung-fu Hustle & Shaolin Soccer. Both were astonishingly good movies, and earned the coveted "top spot" on my DVD shelf (Well, coveted by my DVDs, anyways :smallbiggrin:). And the fact he is a massive Dragonball fan gives me a great deal of hope for it. James Marsters is playing Piccolo, and I rather like him in the role of a villain because he's so freaking good at it. Also, Chow-Yun Fat as Master Roshi? Come on, that is going to be good fun. I'd love to see the sombre master of martial arts from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon be the slightly lecherous old martial arts sensei with the worst sense of humour known to man.

As for the Zelda movie... with most video game adaptations, well, let's just say Super Mario Bros. and leave it at that.

Holy_Knight
2008-06-10, 07:58 AM
Also, Nintendo has no interest in the Movie business. They stopped caring after the Mario Bros movie has a major flop.
But seriously, though, whose fault was that? I mean, what did they expect, given that it had almost no resemblance to the property it was supposedly based on? (I'm not disagreeing with you here, just ranting a bit.) All I mean is, there's no theoretical reason why a movie based on a video game HAS to suck... it just seems like every attempt that's made is poorly executed.

I've been holding out hope that the upcoming Prince of Persia movie will break the video game movie curse, although I have to admit the latest news about it didn't sound very promising... :smallmad:

Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess!

My thoughts exactly. That cartoon was great. :smalltongue:

black dragoon
2008-06-10, 08:04 AM
*Breathes sigh of relief*
That eases my mind a crapton I really enjoyed Kung-fu hustle/ Shaolin Soccer and Have to admit that a leacherous Chow-yun fat will be funny no matter what.

poleboy
2008-06-10, 08:53 AM
Nintendo has no interest in the Movie business. They stopped caring after the Mario Bros movie has a major flop.

I sure hope that's true. Words cannot describe the gibbering insanity of horribly mauled nerd dreams that is the Super Marior Bros. movie.

How come they can make decent (sometimes even awesome) movies based on comics, but video game movies always end up being about namedropping and merchandise instead of story and acting?
Is it simply that Hollywood decided that video game movies was dead from birth and tossed the bone to Uwe Boll, or is it just not possible?

Reinforcements
2008-06-10, 09:08 AM
If anyone makes a Legend of Zelda movie, it should be Studio Ghibli.

... Actually, they really should do that. But make it a mini-series. Based on Twilight Princess. Please.

Solo
2008-06-10, 10:09 AM
Is it simply that Hollywood decided that video game movies was dead from birth and tossed the bone to Uwe Boll, or is it just not possible?

Wait, that's how you spell his name?

Vaynor
2008-06-10, 07:45 PM
It's obviously fake, everyone knows Link is left-handed! :smalltongue:

Bandededed
2008-06-10, 08:27 PM
It's obviously fake, everyone knows Link is left-handed! :smalltongue:

Well obviously he must be. The right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, so only left-handed people are in their right mind. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Omberous
2008-06-10, 08:33 PM
It took me about 5 seconds to realize it was fake. Besides, CalTech already made a Link Film (http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view1851679.html).

poleboy
2008-06-11, 05:17 AM
Wait, that's how you spell his name?

I'm hoping I'll hit his true name by chance and gain the power to undo his birth.

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-06-12, 09:26 PM
If anyone makes a Legend of Zelda movie, it should be Studio Ghibli.

... Actually, they really should do that. But make it a mini-series. Based on Twilight Princess. Please.
That would be awesome. LoZ would work much better in animation than live action, I think. And Studio Ghibli does great work.

On the other hand, there's the silent-protagonist thing to deal with. Making an full movie (or mini-series) with a completely silent protagonist would be really hard to do well. And I think breaking that standard and giving link an actual voice would not go over well.

Shademan
2008-06-13, 02:23 AM
well, considering how link is not SUPPOSED to say a damn word, id say making any kinda movie would prove ... impossible.
unless you actually made him a mute. which i think we all would just find silly.

-this post was posted in the honor of the mighty Shigeru-