PDA

View Full Version : 4e Level 15 Ranger= Bane of low AC boss types?

The Boyce
2008-05-30, 05:45 PM
Soo Blade Cascade allows Ranger to take an infinite number of melee attacks as long as they all hit.

"Why hello mister evil wizard" *slash slash slash slash........ Bloody husk falls to the ground* "Well that was a fun boss"

Orzel
2008-05-30, 05:51 PM
Low AC vs martial characters = Death unless you have massive amount of HP or a triggered ability.

When I use that power I'm just gonna close my eyes, dump a bunch of d20s down, line them up, open my eyes, put away every dice after the 1, and say "when do I miss".

Dark Tira
2008-05-30, 05:53 PM
Yeah I really like that power. I really want to see what a level 30 ranger dual wielding high crit vorpal weapons can do with it.

Yakk
2008-05-30, 06:03 PM
All that needs is another power that allows a shift in response to hitting something. :)

I believe 1 still misses!

Expected number of attacks for a "to hit" target number:

2+: 20
3+: 10
4+: 6.7
5+: 5
6+: 4
7+: 3.3
8+: 2.9
9+: 2.5
10+: 2.2
11+: 2
12+: 1.8
13+: 1.7
14+: 1.5
15+: 1.4
16+: 1.3
17+: 1.3 (well, 1.25)
18+: 1.2
19+: 1.1
20+: 1.1 (well, 1.05)

The number of hits is, naturally, 1 less than the number of attacks.

This ability works very well with abilities that debuff the enemies AC.

Ie, Frigid Darkness (Warlock attack 3), which for a star pact warlock debuffs the target's AC by the Warlock's int bonus.

Starbuck_II
2008-05-30, 07:41 PM
Soo Blade Cascade allows Ranger to take an infinite number of melee attacks as long as they all hit.

"Why hello mister evil wizard" *slash slash slash slash........ Bloody husk falls to the ground* "Well that was a fun boss"

Wizards get Int to AC; I somehow doubt they have low AC.

Rutee
2008-05-30, 07:48 PM
THey do miss out on some base AC though, but yes, AC is more normalized.

Blade Cascade strikes me as very hit or miss. Not as a mechanical ability, but as a fun one. If your group loves working together (And I mean pretty much everyone; Have the Tank and/or Controller try to floor its AC, or the Defender try and buff the Ranger's to hit), then it's a great ability for the group, but otherwise.. hm.

JaxGaret
2008-05-30, 07:49 PM
Wizards get Int to AC; I somehow doubt they have low AC.

They can also wear armor with no ASF, as well as having access to defensive Powers like Blur and Mirror Image.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-30, 07:49 PM
THey do miss out on some base AC though, but yes, AC is more normalized.

Blade Cascade strikes me as very hit or miss. Not as a mechanical ability, but as a fun one. If your group loves working together (And I mean pretty much everyone; Have the Tank and/or Controller try to floor its AC, or the Defender try and buff the Ranger's to hit), then it's a great ability for the group, but otherwise.. hm.

Yeah, it's almost like ToB's avalanche of Blades. Without Wraithstrike and appropriate preparations, it was nigh useless as you had a high chance of missing on the third or fourth hit. But adequately prepared, you floored everything in sight.

Edea
2008-05-30, 07:54 PM
They can also wear armor with no ASF, as well as having access to defensive Powers like Blur and Mirror Image.

That's true, especially at the level we're seeing this ability. Earlier on, that type of armor is expensive enough Wizards will wait to spend the feat on it (I can't believe my spellbook takes up half of my starting character wealth right off the bat >:|).