PDA

View Full Version : Who has the strongest Plot Armor in the mediaverse (besides Squirrel Girl)?

stm177
2008-05-31, 08:29 PM
Plot Armor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotArmor)

I'm excluding Squirrel Girl for the moment, since we all know she is nigh unstoppable.

I've come up with a few, like Bugs Bunny, Mandy (Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy), or maybe even Elan from OOTS.

(Semi-)Dramatic characters would have to include Indiana Jones since he shrugs off the bullets of men firing semi-automatic assault rifles.

What else can people come up with?

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-31, 08:36 PM
Children. Children in any form of media have plot armor so thick it is very rare for ANY of them to die.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-31, 08:39 PM
Then you've never played a game or mine or anything I have a signifigent hand in developing. Despite peoples morals children are always a target for me.

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-31, 08:46 PM
Then you've never played a game or mine or anything I have a signifigent hand in developing. Despite peoples morals children are always a target for me.

I know, its always pissed me off that there arent any children or domesticated animals on the streets or under my tires in GTA.

Cuddly
2008-05-31, 08:55 PM
Other than a space ship full of predators, the first xenomorph victims in AvP2 was a dad and his little boy.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-31, 09:09 PM
Resident evil 2? Zombie children? Where is their plot armor?

Cuddly
2008-05-31, 09:14 PM
I don't remember zombie children in RE2.

Kjata
2008-05-31, 09:21 PM
And 30 Days of Night had a little girl have her face eaten by a vampire onscreen.

2xSlick
2008-05-31, 09:46 PM
Harry Potter. He put on plot armor before he could crawl that was so strong, it took a half dozen books before anyone could crack it. And by then it didn't matter since you couldn't kill him for long.

hylian chozo
2008-05-31, 09:59 PM
On topic: How about Samus Aran? Every time she should die, she loses some abilities. That's it. Not to mention there also seems to be a space pirate marksmanship academy somewhere.

Off topic:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InfantImmortality

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-01, 01:08 AM
I would say every character whom a series or movie was named after was impervious to all weapons of mortal man... but I watched Blake's Seven.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-01, 01:23 AM
Two words: James Bond.

Drascin
2008-06-01, 02:15 AM
Apparently, Kira Yamato enjoys such an absolute level of Plot Armor he's mainly known around the web for that instead of for his protagonist role in a Gundam series, so I'd say he qualifies :smalltongue:

Pronounceable
2008-06-01, 06:09 AM
I vote Rincewind, the Lady's favorite. He's aware of his plot armor. He also knows that the moment he acts like he has it, the Lady will abandon him and he'll die.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-01, 06:21 AM
Wedge 'Antilles's plot armour is pretty high for someone who was essentially a mook before he got his own novels and games.

Luke Skywalker is literally plot immortal since Lucas banned the EU from showing his death.

Alucard (Helsing) has simply evolved past the need for plot armour.

Batman has immense plot armour whenever he's hanging out with superman.

Kaelaroth
2008-06-01, 06:49 AM
As said, Batman has to go and put on his annoying, intelligence enhancing, indestructible plot armour, before he goes off on any mission that does not only consist of him and Robin (or one of his other numerous and tiresome sidekicks).

TheFallenOne
2008-06-01, 09:47 AM
I'd nominate most members of the Duck clan, they've made it through a lot of stuff in their long history.

I've been tempted for a long time making a vs thread involving Darkwarrior Duck. This guys really tough, he has
- quasi immortality. Throw him off a cliff? Hurts but no damage. Detonate a gigaton TNT right under his nose? Well, he might be blackened and his cape and hat might be damaged, nothing more. In one episode Darkwing was burned to a pile of ashes - with eyes. Needless to say, a couple seconds later he was fine.
-Ressources. He controls a whole city, one thats for all I kow modelled after New York. He has a tank with rockets. An aircraft able to navigate in the streets between skyscrapers - with rockets. Personal body armor likely to enhance his strenght. Pistol-sized rocket launcher(this guy loves rockets). Cameras in the whole city, countless automatic antigrav robots(unfortunately, without rockets). Thats something
-A lot of training and experience and most importantly, he (mostly) lost Darkwings tendency to trip over his own feet whenever he tries to make something impressive. And he's major badass and really not something you want to deal with if you comitted any crime punishable with death, like jaywalking or having the wrong haircut(memorable quote by Launchpad: "He said I was too soft on crime - just because I said we should arrest crooks before giving them the electric chair")

So, this guy has the plot shield of a Disney duck, the budget of Batman and the attitude of the Punisher. Better be careful Squirrelgirl.

Orzel
2008-06-01, 10:20 AM
Disney's Aladdin
he survives fights with wizards, zombies, genies, genie killers, sand monsters, giant worms, more wizards, scientist, robot bugs, and more wizards.

Armed with a pair of pants, a vest, a princess, a monkey, a parrot, a magic carpet and a gimped genie.

Dude doesn't even own a sword 'cept for in video games.

Scintillatus
2008-06-01, 10:27 AM
The Doctor, from Doctor Who.

The programme is named after him.
He can regenerate from otherwise deadly injuries.
He has superior alien biology.
He has an incredible tech level.
He's been established in a recent episode as having a vast amount of adventures after this (or indeed, any) televised series.
He has the power of time travel.
The fans would go berserk if he was killed off for good; he's a cultural institution.

Essentially, he's indestructible.

bosssmiley
2008-06-01, 10:36 AM
I vote Rincewind, the Lady's favorite. He's aware of his plot armor. He also knows that the moment he acts like he has it, the Lady will abandon him and he'll die.

Cohen put it best in "Last Hero": "Yeah. I know who you are. And you ain't no lady."

(she may be the one-in-a-million chance; but she's all the other chances too) :smallwink:

Most fanboi power: easily Batman (succeeding Wolverine)
Strongest toyline power: Spawn, Optimus Prime or Drizzt
Thickest plot armour: Harry Potter, Sam Vimes, or any obvious author avatar Mary Sue/Marty Stu character.

TRM
2008-06-01, 10:38 AM
Children. Children in any form of media have plot armor so thick it is very rare for ANY of them to die.
Actually, in NeverWinter Nights all of the children are invulnerable. :smallannoyed:

Two words: James Bond.
Is it plot armour if he has the skillz to back it up?

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-01, 11:08 AM
Alucard (Hellsing) has simply evolved past the need for plot armour.

Does it still count as plot armor then? Or does that state have a different name? I'm not arguing that if he has it or not, he clearly does, just if it can still be called plot armor at his point.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-01, 11:15 AM
Thickest plot armour: Harry Potter, Sam Vimes, or any obvious author avatar Mary Sue/Marty Stu character.

Sam Vimes? No...to many bad things happen to him, and things usually don't turn out the way he wants. Susan Sto Helit or Lu Tze I'll grant you, but not Vimes. Maybe Moist Von Lipvig as well (things always seem to turn out for him).

Continuing this subject...Wile E. Coyote. Everything ALWAYS goes wrong, but he is ALWAYS back on his feet within a few seconds.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-01, 11:22 AM
Does it still count as plot armor then? Or does that state have a different name? I'm not arguing that if he has it or not, he clearly does, just if it can still be called plot armor at his point.

I wasn't saying it did count as plot armour.

Copacetic
2008-06-01, 11:29 AM
Indiana Jones. That is all.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-01, 12:18 PM
In regards to kids, see also several of Yoshiyuki Tomino's anime. I was almost disappointed that none of the little brats in the original Gundam series died; apparently, Tomino hadn't developed his legendary reputation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillEmAll) yet.

There's also the famous instance that the main character died in the novelization of said original Gundam, not even very impressively. Char wound up taking over the main character spot (surprise, surprise).

Anyway, really we shouldn't call it "plot armor" unless people survive in ways that violate suspension of disbelief. Otherwise, almost every character in fiction ever would qualify, because it's necessary for them to stay alive for the story to continue (unless it's not).

For example, it's not too worrying that Xander Harris manages to live through seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as an unpowered, clueless mortal, because he isn't usually targeted except as a hostage or proxy, and he usually avoids mortal danger. He also sees a lot of people he cares about die and accumulates a nasty permanent injury.

Batman, however, can breathe in space. Plot Armor.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-06-01, 01:03 PM

Ahh, I don't think we can say that Alucard has plot armor any more gents

ElfLad
2008-06-01, 06:23 PM
Doc Manhattan. Dude was taken to pieces twice and still not only survived but put himself back together.

chiasaur11
2008-06-01, 06:51 PM
Doc Manhattan. Dude was taken to pieces twice and still not only survived but put himself back together.

Nah, that's just Bog-Standard invulnerability and superhero orgins.

Obrysii
2008-06-01, 06:53 PM
Sasuke Uchiha has tremendous plot armor.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-03, 10:54 PM
The Doctor, from Doctor Who.

The programme is named after him.
He can regenerate from otherwise deadly injuries.
He has superior alien biology.
He has an incredible tech level.
He's been established in a recent episode as having a vast amount of adventures after this (or indeed, any) televised series.
He has the power of time travel.
The fans would go berserk if he was killed off for good; he's a cultural institution.

Essentially, he's indestructible.

Doesn't he only have 13 regenerations, though?

Ahh, I don't think we can say that Alucard has plot armor any more gents

We certainly can. He was so powerful that the author couldn't think of any possible way for him to be injured except having his soul disappear by a quantum physics error. Setting this up necessitated the self-sacrifice of an immortal catboy and the murder of virtually everyone in London. If you need to kill off a canonically unkillable character to kill another character in the process, the second character has plot armor miles thick.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-03, 11:14 PM
Books:
Harry Potter probably has the thickest armor. Although as far as books go, so does Artemis Fowl (though not nearly as much as Harry Potter's).

Videogames:
Hmmm.... Mario, but I'm not sure if that should count. Besides, Princess Peach probably has an even thicker plot armor.

Also, "The Chosen One". In pretty much every game in which there is a Chosen One.

Movies:
Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker. Enough said.

Animé:
The entire cast of Ragnarok: The Animation.

Xefas
2008-06-03, 11:40 PM
Would Sonic the Hedgehog count? He can survive one hit of anything.

Blow up the planet? He loses his rings. Throw him into the sun? He loses his rings. End all Existence in a single moment of hellish destruction? He loses his rings.

And, all he has to do to replenish the plot armor is walk 2ish feet away after he gets hit to pick up another ring. This leads to, say, a single automatic firearm being his mortal enemy, but Infinitely Recurring World-Ending Explosions spaced 30 seconds apart being cake for him to survive.

Unless there's a cutscene, in which case, he's only slightly more durable than the average man's ego.

turkishproverb
2008-06-04, 12:17 AM
Apparently, Kira Yamato enjoys such an absolute level of Plot Armor he's mainly known around the web for that instead of for his protagonist role in a Gundam series, so I'd say he qualifies :smalltongue:

Seconded, he gets freaking hit with nukes and doesn't have scratches.

Reactor critical? Scratches

I mean, at least Char repeatedly coming back was... feasible.

Batman, however, can breathe in space. Plot Armor.

You stole that from someone (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050131.html).

Tirian
2008-06-04, 12:41 AM
No list of unblowuppable video game characters can be complete without the majesty that is Sephiroth's Super Nova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuZuJLkP0Vo). The rest of the solar system is destroyed, but no one in your party will be killed.

TheFallenOne
2008-06-04, 03:56 AM

Blow up the planet? He loses his rings. Throw him into the sun? He loses his rings. End all Existence in a single moment of hellish destruction? He loses his rings.

And, all he has to do to replenish the plot armor is walk 2ish feet away after he gets hit to pick up another ring. This leads to, say, a single automatic firearm being his mortal enemy, but Infinitely Recurring World-Ending Explosions spaced 30 seconds apart being cake for him to survive.

Unless there's a cutscene, in which case, he's only slightly more durable than the average man's ego.

Um, Sonic instantly dies if he gets smashed by something, still happens to me sometimes in Metropolis when I try to finish the stage fast. And he can die from falling. And drown. And get into inescapable deathtrabs. Happened to me in Mystic Cave once where by pulling a hook you lower a wall over a hole and by going too fast I somehow managed to fall down into an exitless spiked pit. Pity.

Oh, actually Sonic has a really weak plot armor because he simply dies if he stays in the same location for 10 minutes. Pretty harsh if you ask me

Ecalsneerg
2008-06-04, 05:02 AM
Doesn't he only have 13 regenerations, though?

According to the 'American one' (i.e. the TV movie with Paul McGann), it is implied to be possible for a Time Lord to get more.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-04, 10:46 AM
Seconded, he gets freaking hit with nukes and doesn't have scratches.

Reactor critical? Scratches

I mean, at least Char repeatedly coming back was... feasible.

You stole that from someone (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050131.html).Living through repeated massive explosions when one has room to run away (i.e. is not strapped into the thing that's exploding) is pretty standard. I can't really think of an action character who hasn't done that. Now, I'm nowhere near done with Zeta, so I don't know if he pulls anything more impressive

And thanks, I was looking for that link. Didn't realize it was so far back.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-04, 04:17 PM

OK, fine. I think we have a winner. :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2008-06-05, 01:47 AM
Living through repeated massive explosions when one has room to run away (i.e. is not strapped into the thing that's exploding) is pretty standard. I can't really think of an action character who hasn't done that. Now, I'm nowhere near done with Zeta, so I don't know if he pulls anything more impressive

And thanks, I was looking for that link. Didn't realize it was so far back.

No problem. And glad to see you agree on Char.

P.S. Finish Zeta.

OR ELSE! :smallannoyed:

Cybren
2008-06-05, 01:59 AM
The narrator, the narrator has the strongest plot armor.

LBO
2008-06-05, 02:43 AM
Not always! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ApocalypticLog)

turkishproverb
2008-06-05, 04:35 AM

Unless your going Into the woods. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Woods)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 08:41 AM
Or are a snarky ordinary high school student (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuzumiyaHaruhi).

Okay, he's kinda got plot armor, but only because God loves him (and wants in his pants). It's just enough to keep him from getting killed, he still deals with plenty of abuse on all levels.

ElfLad
2008-06-05, 01:22 PM

<--- I disagree

Somebloke
2008-06-05, 01:53 PM

I have to agree. The entire concept of Rincewind is that he constantly flees from one danger to the next, always managing somehow to survive despite all evidence that indicates he shouldn't. If he dies then his character stops working.

Otherwise...I would have to say Saturday morning cartoon characters...until I learned from the 80s transformers movie that toy manufacturers are quite prepared to see 10-year old boys cry in order to make new profits.

And that's how I became a communist.

North
2008-06-05, 03:00 PM

Dont tell that to Ultimate Hawkeye. He got to watch his girlfriend and kids get slaughtered in front of him.:smallfrown:

Plot Armor is winning when really theres no way it should happen due to luck and plot induced stupidity of the antagonists. Irresponsible Captain Tylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irresponsible_Captain_Tylor) andCiaphas Cain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain) both have loads of this.