PDA

View Full Version : If you were a super hero what will be your powers?

Super_mad09
2008-06-01, 02:25 AM
If i were a superhero with powers my abilities would be controlling a person's death or super speed :biggrin:

kpenguin
2008-06-01, 03:30 AM
As I always answer to these threads, omnipotence.

Deimos-Comics
2008-06-01, 03:45 AM
Fire!
I've always been the kid thats had an interest in fire! I would love to have a skull covered in flames as a head like Ghostrider and being able to shoot fire and control it! But controling earth would be cool too so that would be my second choice! You know causing earthquakes on an opponent or covering yourself with a massive boulder! :tongue:

Edge
2008-06-01, 05:10 AM
Telekinesis.

I mean, it's nasty enough when a moron has it, but with a gamer's imagination?

Good times.

Kaelaroth
2008-06-01, 06:52 AM
As I always answer to these threads, omnipotence.

Barring that, reality warping, or probability manipulation, which are basically the same thing nowadays.

If we're ignoring that kind of thing, then mind control, illusion generation, reactive evolution, and shapeshifting would all be fine too.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-01, 07:45 AM
Telekinesis, Illusions, and all of that good jazz.

But NOT Mind reading. I don't want to know what's really going on in ANYONE'S skull. :smallannoyed:

I'm also going to have to give controlled shapeshifting, and teleportation as well. Much like Nightcrawler.

Revlid
2008-06-01, 07:48 AM
An alien supersuit that granted me physical abilities to the extreme of human capabilities, along with superhuman agility and extremely powerful technopathy.

My superhero name? Gremlin.

Of course, that's if I was a superhero, one that needed an interesting costume, etc. If it was just a Heroes-esque "you suddenly have powers, what do you do?!?" then I'd go for generic mindf*ckery. Telepathy, mind control, mental manipulation, etc. Very usable in everyday life, as well as being very fun and educational.

Copacetic
2008-06-01, 07:55 AM
Shape-shifting. Feeling too small? Go go gadget Giantism!

Gundato
2008-06-01, 09:03 AM
Knowing my luck, I would end up being the Codpiece. Including his demise...

Dorizzit
2008-06-01, 09:45 AM
I'd go with Telekinesis. In addition to the obvious, it also grants flight and super speed, as I can simply carry myself using it.

PhallicWarrior
2008-06-01, 11:01 AM
Indestructability and a modicum of Super-strength, a la, Bruce Willis in Unbreakable. Even if I can't get to the bad guys, I can just have someone drop me in. I'll be fine.

vegetalss4
2008-06-01, 12:37 PM
i would be able to hear the theme music.
do you have any idea how powerful that would be, i would know when to dogde, i would know when an heroic action is likely to suceed and i would know when someone where about to sneak up to me, among many others.

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-06-01, 12:54 PM

Ok Peter. :)

I'd either go for Super Soldier, or Luke Cage type.

Zencao
2008-06-01, 01:19 PM
Permanent invisibility. Like the invisible man/hollowman.

To be visible I'd do the whole trench coat/fedora/sunglasses/white make up gig off league of extraordinary gentlemen.

Manipulatable invisibility would get boring, add some drama! :)

MrEdwardNigma
2008-06-01, 02:16 PM
Fire!
I've always been the kid thats had an interest in fire!
Every kid is the kid with an interest in fire...

As for me, I'd have omniscence, off course. I'd even be able to spell omniscence correctly!

The Rose Dragon
2008-06-01, 03:12 PM
A field of apathy.

Basically, I'd drain the area around me all the time and anywhere in the universe if I focused of the entropy and energy and sustain myself with that energy and entropy. Because I really am that apathetic.

As for me, I'd have omniscence, off course. I'd even be able to spell omniscence correctly!

Ironic is that it is actually spelled "omniscience".

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-01, 03:23 PM
To truly be a superhero, you have to be powerful enough to have an effect on something but weak enough that something out there can still occasionally beat your ass. As I do not want to be a magnet for effing Galacticus or nigh-unbeatable cthulionic horrors, I'm going to take something relatively small.

Reality enhancement, a facet of reality manipulation. I knife can be honed into a sword which can be honed into something that can cut through cars with a single sweep. A trenchcoat will inexplicably toughen to the point of being bulletproof or more. A bullet can leave a crater in cement a meter wide. But, when I leave the presence of something I enhance, it usually reverts back to its original state... perhaps with a few echos.

A kickass enough power to be, well, kick ass... but not enough to bring down the gods. Perfect.

GoC
2008-06-01, 10:52 PM
To truly be a superhero, you have to be powerful enough to have an effect on something but weak enough that something out there can still occasionally beat your ass. As I do not want to be a magnet for effing Galacticus or nigh-unbeatable cthulionic horrors, I'm going to take something relatively small.

Reality enhancement, a facet of reality manipulation. I knife can be honed into a sword which can be honed into something that can cut through cars with a single sweep. A trenchcoat will inexplicably toughen to the point of being bulletproof or more. A bullet can leave a crater in cement a meter wide. But, when I leave the presence of something I enhance, it usually reverts back to its original state... perhaps with a few echos.

A kickass enough power to be, well, kick ass... but not enough to bring down the gods. Perfect.
That's pretty nifty!:smallcool:

P.Mina
2008-06-02, 01:22 AM
Stink powers, like farting on cue. Actually, I can already do that.
I'd really like shape shifting as well.

I forgot to activate my avatar, please forgive me.

RationalGoblin
2008-06-02, 07:49 AM

Thats nifty. I'll borrow that now for a game I'm playing in.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-06-02, 08:19 AM
I would posses the ability to edit the universal constant of friction over a small area. Not used before it would allow me to walk on walls and ceilings (although that might be uncomfortable) trip others or stick them in place, erode incoming bullets with air friction...

Funkyodor
2008-06-02, 09:05 AM
Hmm, I've always been a fan of ability negation. So maybe my super power would be to remove extraordinary powers from others?

Revlid
2008-06-03, 01:18 AM
Hmm, I've always been a fan of ability negation. So maybe my super power would be to remove extraordinary powers from others?

Yeah, but then what are you going to do when you're surrounded by a gang of thugs?

Dalenthas
2008-06-03, 09:16 AM
Super Intelligence. And I'm not talking Stephen Hawking level intelligence, I'm talking Tony Stark/Reed Richards level intelligence. I want to be able to invent new types of science while eating cereal in the morning. I want to be able to invent my own suit of power armor in a cave with a box of scraps.
Properly applied, Super Intelligence can give you every other super power. Telekinesis? I just invented a super tractor/presser beam. Flight? Rocket boots. Danger sense? Improved ultra-radar in my helmet.

Revlid
2008-06-03, 10:29 AM
Properly applied, Super Intelligence can give you every other super power. Telekinesis? I just invented a super tractor/presser beam. Flight? Rocket boots. Danger sense? Improved ultra-radar in my helmet.

And yet you're still trumped by technopathy. :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-03, 04:58 PM
Assuming all God stuff is out (if it's in just give me the power set of White Phoenix of the Crown) at will Mindrape, Immortality (like Mr. Immortal), complete control of the EM force, or teleportation.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-03, 06:06 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7703/picture12kn2.png

This guy.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-03, 06:32 PM
Immortality (like Mr. Immortal)
Said the man trapped floating through interstellar space fifteen lightyears from any object with more gravity than a coffeecup.

Thats nifty. I'll borrow that now for a game I'm playing in.

That's pretty nifty!:smallcool:
Glad to hear that my ideas are actually good for something other than mental scarring and therapy bills.

Trizap
2008-06-03, 10:00 PM
mine?

I would be a Werecat, meaning I could transform into a half-cat at will, and gain super leaping, super reflexes, invisibility, night vision and athletic strength (demi super strength).

I would be able to leap from building to building better than spiderman, not needing any webs, and be able dodge things not normally dodgeable- like bullets, and the invisibility and night vision would be for sneaking about, my weakness? my eyes would be sensitive to sunlight, sure I would be able to fight crime by day, I'd just be better at night.

Euphemism
2008-06-03, 10:12 PM
Necromancy.

Give me control over of the forces of life and death. Even limited in scope, I could accomplish things I only dream of now.

Grow a garden in a day, never be hungry. Destroy diseases with a touch, never be ill. Slow the ravages of time, see my children grow, and their children. Fix a broken bone without going to the hospital. Cure Scruffy of her intestinal parasites. And so on. And so forth.

Heck, imagine getting a job as an exterminator. Walk into the house, kill all insect-based lifeforms within 100 meters. Or, darker, imagine working as grey or black ops for your country.

If that's "against the rules"?

I'd be Colossus' sister, I think? The one who could use portals to travel and as weapons. While Nightcrawler is my favorite superhero, her power wins. =)

Wolfprint
2008-06-03, 11:13 PM
Energy manipulation.

Since everything in the universe is made up of energy, after my long and arduous (metaphorical) journey to learn about my powers, I will become god-like.

Ta-daa!

Nibleswick
2008-06-04, 07:40 PM
I would like to be able to turn a toy into the object it represents i.e. I take a toy lightsaber and turn it into a real lightsaber, that sort of thing.

Enlong
2008-06-04, 11:11 PM
Superman's power of making-up-powers-as-I-deem-necessary. Where else could I get super-weaving or rebuild-the-Great-Wall-Of-China vision?

But seriously, Flight. Unaided, perfect-manuverability, controllable-speed flight. That would be the best power ever.

Funkyodor
2008-06-05, 01:58 AM
Hmm, I've always been a fan of ability negation. So maybe my super power would be to remove extraordinary powers from others?Yeah, but then what are you going to do when you're surrounded by a gang of thugs?

The same thing anyone does when surrounded by thugs? Beg, plead, cajole, give them what they want and hope they don't leave me for dead in a gutter. And pray if they do, that I don't die of blood loss by the time I get hospital care...

GryffonDurime
2008-06-05, 09:29 AM
The most immediate answer is magic, in large part because I've always had a dangerous obsession with it and it's a very flexible powerset in the hands of anyone with a modicum of creativity...Dr. Strange really should work on his lateral thinking.

Barring that and other such tremendous and terrifying powers, I'd probably be a water manipulator. There's water in places you'd never think of...

HolderofSecrets
2008-06-05, 10:33 AM
I once played the Marvel Heroes game. I am still a fan of the powers my character had. He could Transform into either a Solid (metal) state or Energy state, he could regenerate himself and heal others but only while in shadows, and he was immune to metal (Damage from). Those powers working as a set was extremely useful. He could hold is own in a fight. Nothing like getting into a fight were almost everyone seems to be carrying a Signature metal weapon and not having anything to worry about.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-05, 01:31 PM
The same thing anyone does when surrounded by thugs? Beg, plead, cajole, give them what they want and hope they don't leave me for dead in a gutter. And pray if they do, that I don't die of blood loss by the time I get hospital care...

Or just hire a couple loyal, utterly powerless but well muscled/well armed bodyguards. Hell, with your power you can take out Superman with your trio of hired goons. Just watch out for Batman.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-05, 08:41 PM
Chaos.

It wouldn't be interesting if I had any particular control over what happened whenever I used it. And, that wouldn't suit it either.

It might make all the microwaves in the area start leaking green goo, or a Giant Talking Cow might float across the horizon giving good advice. Maybe it causes the laws of nature to break down, or maybe it duplicates events exactly so you can't tell if anything happened or not.

If I have super powers, I want to confuse people.

TheThan
2008-06-06, 07:37 PM
I’d go with the classic super powers: super strength, durability and flight. Sure is boring, but it’s a cliché for a reason. I wouldn’t go for the whole shebang of classic powers (super speed, breath, vision, etc) like superman has, that’s a little too much, but sticking with those three gives you a niche to fill on a super hero team and can lead to your own comic series.

Thormag
2008-06-07, 12:12 AM
The power of having random powers everyday.

Monday: Pyrokinesis
Tuesday: Telekinesis
Wednesday: Enhanced speed
Thursday: Technopaty
Friday: Photographic Reflexes
Saturday: pH Manipulation
Sunday: Healing Factor
Monday: Enhanced Hearing
Etc.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-07, 01:22 AM
Bad news:

Tuesday you gain the ability to burst into flames.
Wednesday you develop an immunity to fire.

Thormag
2008-06-07, 01:43 PM
Bad news:

Tuesday you gain the ability to burst into flames.
Wednesday you develop an immunity to fire.

That's what makes it fun

Ecalsneerg
2008-06-09, 01:35 PM
Telekinesis, as people have mentioned, is a brilliant superpower not exploited enough. I mean, off-hand I could think of doing the following:

- Hurling objects around, like vehicles.
- Deflecting physical objects, like assailants, or even just throwing bullets back at people
- Flight
- Telekinetically enhanced strength, allowing you to use your powers while not revealing your secret identity
- 'Punching' people with telekinetic force from a block away.

And I'm sure I could think of other uses.

alchemyprime
2008-06-09, 02:12 PM
Um... shapeshift, regen and elec control.

So I can shock thinks, control a tv without a remote, be whatever I looklike and live essentially foreve, a la Kensei/Adam or Wolverine.

Yes. I would use my powers to become Elminster.

archon_huskie
2008-06-09, 04:42 PM
I will take Batman's two superpowers. To be insanely rich and the be able to add the prefix "Bat" to anything I own.

Arokh
2008-06-09, 06:11 PM
Superpowers you say?

I personally like the idea of a 'aura of luck/unluck' that can (to a certain degree)
be weakened/empowered by myself, but not entirely deactivated, combined with
a certain amount of 'accelerated healing' to be able to endure those situations were my luck does not succeed to save me from harm/ something incredibly unlucky happens to me.

And of course, the power of manipulating rock/earth also has something about it that I would definitely not turn down.

So long, Arokh.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-06-09, 08:43 PM
Shapeshifting, controlled into things I like. Animals and whatnot would be fun.

I might need to give it to Telekinesis. Mostly because you WILL be able to own at all sports and most of life with it. Also, fun to screw with people with it. I'm assuming it would be highly controlled as well.

Regeneration would be fun too I would think.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-06-09, 08:47 PM
Stopping Time and Agelessness

You are now the most powerful supervillainHERO >.> in the Multiverse, have fun playing with your side-abilities of superspeed, teleporting, invisibility and invincibility if you see them shoot.

TigerHunter
2008-06-10, 04:04 AM
So many... I can't decide... can I just say omnipotence?

Barring that, any of these:
Stopping Time - Probably my #1 choice. Teleportation, super-strength, and if you only just remembered that paper that was due today? Stop time, go take a week-long (subjectively, of course) vacation, come back, write the paper, take another week-long vacation, then restart time and turn it in.

Mind Reading and Mind Control - Slightly less awesome, but who are we kidding? Any super power would be awesome. Even one of the comparatively lame ones. (Though I think that if I got Matter Eater Lad's power, I'd trade it in for four bucks and a lucky rabbit's foot.)

Blue Paladin
2008-06-10, 01:13 PM
I always wonder why people diss Matter Eater Lad so much. If you had his power:

1) You'd never starve. In the desert? Eat some sand. In the arctic? Eat some snow (note: DON'T EAT THE SNOW IF YOU ARE A NORMAL HUMAN. You will die, quickly, from losing so much heat). In the ocean? Don't drown, just keep gulping down that water (this doesn't actually get any oxygen into your lungs, it just keeps the water out; you won't drown, but you'll still eventually suffocate :smalltongue:).

2) Unless and until they invent energy fields, you can break pretty much any kind of passive security system. Bank vault? Fortress wall? Naw, it's a light snack. As a subsection, you can't really be restrained by anything either (maybe, if they knew to start off with a neck brace). Handcuffs, cages and cells... Again, no walls will hold you.

3) You could hire yourself out as a nuclear cleaner. One of the major impediments to nuclear power is dealing with the waste that's left behind. But to you? Nom nom nom!

4) Think of how many eating contests you could win! Corn with the cob. BBQ ribs and whole turkeys; you don't have to slow down for the bones. Screw it, you can eat the whole cow.

5) Utility in general. Pesky incriminating evidence? Eat it. Deny someone's credit card in style. Someone getting all up in your grill? Eat his face off. Park wherever you want; never fear the boot again. A little imagination goes a long way...

TheThan
2008-06-10, 11:07 PM
Superpowers you say?

I personally like the idea of a 'aura of luck/unluck' that can (to a certain degree)
be weakened/empowered by myself, but not entirely deactivated, combined with
a certain amount of 'accelerated healing' to be able to endure those situations were my luck does not succeed to save me from harm/ something incredibly unlucky happens to me.

So long, Arokh.

That so reminds me of Domino from X-force fame. She has one of the neatest super powers ever.

Blue paladin, all that’s assuming you can get the thing you’re eating into your mouth (as doors are rather large objects, I think It’d be pretty hard to eat one.

Unless of course you’re being sarcastic, which I may be missing as tone is hard to tell over the ‘net.

Anyway another cool one would be Teleportation portals.

You ever play portal? There you go. Instantly get anywhere (assuming you have a good range). You’d never have to buy gas again. Additionally not only do you get yourself and your superhero team around; you also have some cool combat options.

Get rushed by a guy with a knife (or other hand weapon)? Open up a portal in front of him on the ground, he steps into it, then open the other end directly above it. Now he’s stuck in free fall and you can deal with him at your leisure. Or just close the bottom portal after a minute and watch him splat into the floor.

Or you could teleport around the room ala nighcrawler and attack people from all sorts of different directions. Other (more gruesome) options including Teleporting portions of people to different places.

GoC
2008-06-10, 11:22 PM
What I would take: the 3.5e D&D shapeshifting spell at Caster Level 20 and immortality.
Another choice would be all the level 1&2 psionic powers in the 3.5e SRD at will. Despite not being earth shattering they are very very nifty.:smallcool:

There was a thread similar to this some time back with some very good suggestions. My favorite was a guy who took three powers:
1. To always be smack dab in the middle of something interesting.
2. He can mark certain points in time so that whenever he dies he can reappear at that point in time. He can also do the time travel thing without dieing.
3. Be physically perfect (and sexy).
Essentially turning life into a video-game complete with save states!

- Deflecting physical objects, like assailants, or even just throwing bullets back at people
The problem with that is that either it breaks Relativity in a Divide By Zero way or that you can't actually block bullets without REALLY powerful TK.

And I'm sure I could think of other uses.
It's very good for killing people. Just a couple of pounds in the right place is deadly.

mine?

I would be a Werecat, meaning I could transform into a half-cat at will, and gain super leaping, super reflexes, invisibility, night vision and athletic strength (demi super strength).

I would be able to leap from building to building better than spiderman, not needing any webs, and be able dodge things not normally dodgeable- like bullets, and the invisibility and night vision would be for sneaking about, my weakness? my eyes would be sensitive to sunlight, sure I would be able to fight crime by day, I'd just be better at night.
I hate to break this to you but bullets aren't actually dodgeable outside of comic books (unless you're someone like The Flash).

Mando Knight
2008-06-11, 06:38 AM
Well... barring effective omnipotence... any of the following:
1. Super-speed
2. Flying Brick (Strength, Flight, Invulnerability...)
3. Shatterpoints: the ability to see points in any material that, when struck, deal far more damage than normal
4. Healing Factor
5. Pyrokinesis, as in full control of fire, including invulnerability to it.
6. Shapeshifting

LesterLester
2008-06-11, 07:07 AM
Apart from good old telekinesis and the other quite omnipotent powers, as an avatar-addict, I'd say Earthbending(well including metal as well). If you have too many cool powers, you end up as one of these boring omnipotent mary-sue super heroes or captain badass(which gets old after a while).

Midnight_v
2008-06-11, 08:17 AM
Rewind.

Probbably slowmo for everyone else but me as well...
and save points...

ravenkith
2008-06-11, 08:39 AM
The ability to manipulate, enhance, and alter the biological functions of myself and others on a genetic level (a la Elixir, pre-mole).

Not only can I give myself whatever powers I desire, I can give my friends powers too (and take them away, if need be).

Mmm, tasty.

Prophaniti
2008-06-11, 09:47 AM
If I had to choose just one power.... telekenisis. If I get a few more... super strength with enhanced metabolism (so I don't have to excercise anymore but still won't get all fat and saggy), super intelligence (as described on pg 1)and perfectly controllable flight are all list-toppers. I'd also love to have the ability to understand any language I come in contact with, like Cipher. That'd be awesome. And I do like the 'reality enhancement' idea from pg 1, too. That's a fun one.

EDIT: And, of course, all the cool family powers from O.S. Card's Treason, which include gems such as time-manipulation (can do pretty much everything except go backwards), regeneration, and the ability to alter my body chemistry so I no longer need to breathe.

Blue Paladin
2008-06-11, 10:40 AM
Blue paladin, all that’s assuming you can get the thing you’re eating into your mouth (as doors are rather large objects, I think It’d be pretty hard to eat one.

Unless of course you’re being sarcastic, which I may be missing as tone is hard to tell over the ‘net.Nope, not being sarcastic. But I fully agree that it's very hard to get tone via text.

Back to matter eating: The main thing is with that power, you don't need to fit the whole thing at once; you can take mouthfuls at a time, out of anything made of any material. Steel? Mithril? Adamantium? Unobtainium? Yeah, I can eat that.

It's only when he pushes the boundaries of his power that Tenzil gets in trouble: he eats the reality-changing Miracle Machine and goes insane for a few years. Not bad for chowing down on the equivalent of the Reality Gem. In the animated series, he bites a chunk out of the Emerald Eye, and is zapped into a coma for a few weeks. Again not bad for eating a powerful magical artifact (in the comics, currently retconned into a low-versatility Green Lantern Ring).

Demons_eye
2008-06-12, 12:39 AM
To go into a savage animal form granting all my abiltys and traits X 10 , real clones and sealing any thing.

Smeik
2008-06-12, 02:16 PM
One of my favourite protagonists in a series of german fantasy books had abilities that I would love to have myself and I think they would even fit to my personality:

1. The ablity to look up to 5 seconds into the future whenever danger appears. And be able to change this future. Doesn't work if you're not concentrated, though.

2. To change the colors of everything. It would not be the most powerful of all abilities I would have, but one with which you can actually cause quite much mischief. Hilarity ensues, when suddenly the racist becomes black, etc.

3. To persuade people to help you and tell you the truth... if you tell them the truth, also. It's a bit like mind control, but on a very low level.

4. Finally, perhaps my most powerful ability would be to stretch time for objects of my choice. It's really funny when suddenly your foe becomes too slow for earth rotation. Also great for lockpicking and regulating your own heartbeat. You could even turn things into Ice if you really control this power to perfection!

If you know from which character I blatantly stole these abilities, I salute to you.
But I don't think that anyone besides me read those books here.

So I don't feel ashamed in claiming these powers for me, as they are awesome.:smallwink:

greetings,

Smeik

Arokh
2008-06-12, 04:54 PM
Praise the almighty Wikipedia.
David Camden from "Der Kreis der Dämmerung"
Could be interesting to read, I will see if I can get access to the first part.

So long, Arokh.

Smeik
2008-06-14, 06:31 AM
Praise the almighty Wikipedia.
David Camden from "Der Kreis der Dämmerung"
Could be interesting to read, I will see if I can get access to the first part.

So long, Arokh.

You won't regret it. Especially if you are even slightly interested in history (of the 20th century).

TeChameleon
2008-06-14, 07:42 AM
Heh... I've actually got a halfway decent answer to this question.

The ability to manipulate (redirect, enhance, dampen, absorb, store, and release) Kinetic Energy within a limited range- say by touch.

Thus, with a little practice, you can get superspeed (manipulate your own kinetic energy), touch telekinesis, quasi-superstrength (redirect the thing you're lifting's kinetic energy... assuming it has any... upwards- could make for some very cool tricks like 'judo'-tossing a speeding bus over your head), limited invulnerability (just leave 'absorb' turned on- anything that hits you will power you up instead of doing damage- you'd have to be careful not to freeze yourself, though, since air temperature would drop).

You could also (with a little more practice... or maybe a lot more >.>) end up with freezing powers (limited to touch range, but still handy), rapid healing (accelerate your own cellular metabolism, which would also help with, if not eliminate entirely, the difficulties of rapid aging caused by your powers), superfast perception, maybe even limited super-intelligence (accelerate your own brain functions), even short-range fireblasts that could melt titanium (accelerate a packet of air 'round and 'round and 'round your hand until it's moving at around Mach 6, then redirect its momentum forwards).

I dunno... I can see this working- you wouldn't be in godmode, necessarily, but you could handle most things that came your way.

Ashen Lilies
2008-06-14, 09:19 AM
My answer: Creation and Manipulation of pocket dimensions. Includes creating pocket dimensions, creating portals to pocket dimensions, and destroying pocket dimensions. Think of the possibilities, heres a few off the top of my head.
-Teleportation, create a Pocket-D with two portals and step through.
-Imprisonment, allows you to get rid of pesky villains when all else fails.
-Dimension of holding, allows you to carry anything you need, from emergency rations (hell, you could keep a gourmet meal in there if your pocket-D is in vacuum.) to a sledgehammer, plus it solves the problem of where to put your civvie clothes if mayhem erupts at the Daily Planet:smallbiggrin:
Also, cannon (put one portal at the bottom of the ocean and make a 1cm portal aiming at the enemy. shield, bullets fly into the dimension instead of into your soft defenseless flesh. Redirection, aim aforementioned bullets back at your enemy, or just let them fly around in the PD until you need them. Limited telekenesis, create a couple counduits from the target to either deep space or a hurricane nearby, little currents of wind to manipulate objects, not exactly bus lifting but still useful.
And thats just the top of my head.

Edit: Another cool power I've had swirling around in my mind, Gravity manipulation in a small area. Stand on the ceiling by reversing it, make yourself weightless, create mini-black-holes (to draw bullets in), make a mini-anti-black-holes (wall go boom), suddenly make that bus as light as a feather, or make the car the enemy strongman is about to hurl at you 1x10^y times heavier, SPLAT. I might post more later but this post is already freakishly long by my standards.

stm177
2008-06-15, 11:05 AM
I'd want a deadly bee weapon.

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3773/beeweaponcc1.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beeweaponcc1.jpg)

Either that, or whatever the hell let's Squirrel Girl beat everyone she faces. (It's obviously not just the squirrels.)

Super_mad09
2008-06-29, 04:12 AM
Stink powers, like farting on cue. Actually, I can already do that.
I'd really like shape shifting as well.

I forgot to activate my avatar, please forgive me.
BUT I AM SUPAHMAHHD!!:furious:
lol here's my logo
http://www.sriramkrishnan.com/blog/images/superman_emblem.jpgjust make the red blue and the white places red there!

Dorizzit
2008-06-29, 07:56 AM
Super Speed.

Copacetic
2008-06-29, 10:42 AM
I still believe perfect shape-shifting would be more useful then teleknises. You could use to impersonate the bank president of [generic bank], then rob the whole place blind. Now with money, use it to get yourself into someplace with power. Bam, you are set for life. Which, by the way, is quite a long time, considering you can shape-shift into a younger version of yourself whenever you feel old. Also, some plucky superher/villain coming your way? Turn into a 300-foot tall Gorilla andstep on him. Also, flight would be easily achievable, by turning into a bird.

Nevrmore
2008-06-29, 11:00 AM
Spider-sense. Only I'd call it something different.

The ability to sense danger and subconsciously re-act to it in the form of a fast and often awesome and flashy reflex.

Revanmal
2008-06-29, 09:36 PM
If I could be a superhero... I'd be Immigration dude. And take all those foreigners back to their homes for eating up all of our food!

...Okay, really, I'd want the power to possess people. Essentially, exist simply as a roaming mind capable of taking control of and suppressing any body. Eternal life, and all the power you could ever want.

quiet1mi
2008-06-30, 12:40 AM
regeneration [like wolverine] because i could post on the Giantitp forums Forever and never worry about dying...

quiet1mi
2008-06-30, 12:43 AM
My answer: Creation and Manipulation of pocket dimensions. Includes creating pocket dimensions, creating portals to pocket dimensions, and destroying pocket dimensions. Think of the possibilities, heres a few off the top of my head.
-Teleportation, create a Pocket-D with two portals and step through.
-Imprisonment, allows you to get rid of pesky villains when all else fails.
-Dimension of holding, allows you to carry anything you need, from emergency rations (hell, you could keep a gourmet meal in there if your pocket-D is in vacuum.) to a sledgehammer, plus it solves the problem of where to put your civvie clothes if mayhem erupts at the Daily Planet:smallbiggrin:
Also, cannon (put one portal at the bottom of the ocean and make a 1cm portal aiming at the enemy. shield, bullets fly into the dimension instead of into your soft defenseless flesh. Redirection, aim aforementioned bullets back at your enemy, or just let them fly around in the PD until you need them. Limited telekenesis, create a couple counduits from the target to either deep space or a hurricane nearby, little currents of wind to manipulate objects, not exactly bus lifting but still useful.
And thats just the top of my head.

so...I see you are a fan of the game, portal...

MSK
2008-06-30, 12:55 AM
Imagine holding any scenario in your head, and then being able to instantaneously "jump" to one of the infinite parallel universes where your scenario is happening. Yeah. Want those thugs off your back? Jump to a parallel universe where they all suddenly die of natural causes! Want omniscience? Jump to a parallel universe where you have it!
The drawback, of course, would be that everything but the specific scenario you have in mind would be left up to chance. Those thugs might have died of natural causes, but you might've accidentally ended up in a universe where Bicycle Repair Man is a superhero and Cardinal Ximenez is his arch-nemesis.
You'd eventually be able to hold an entire world scenario in your head before you jump, but before then there would be a whole bunch of potential for wacky hijinks.
Intrigued?

Ashen Lilies
2008-06-30, 12:58 AM

Actually, I never played it. The idea sorta evolved from me talking about pulling a hammer out of nowhere and hitting people that annoyed me. I never knew portal had pocket dimensions, I just thought it had.... portals. Though truth be told I did yoink the water cannon from the catgirl holocaust thread on use of physics in DnD which involved dimension rings or something. (I don't actually play... yet.)

To expand on gravity manipulation... Cannon, black hole in front of object, anti-black hole behind. Basically a railgun, but with gravity instead of magnets, meaning it can be used on anything. I think gravity control would be awesome, you could run around on ceilings, float and even *gasp* lift the blob.:smalleek:

Expect more cool powers, I am a huge superhero fan (see avatar).

Zeful
2008-06-30, 01:28 AM
My super power would be Enhanced Mental Potential. I get Telekenisis, telepathy which after refinement leads to Telekenetic Radar (a low-key wave of force that would bounce off solid objects, rendering a detailed view of everything around me to the outer most limits (maybe a mile and a half after a few years)), Empathic Radar (the emotional state of everyone around me), and numerous other things.

Nevrmore
2008-06-30, 07:59 AM
Teleportation via portals has existed before that game came out, you know.

Vaire
2008-06-30, 10:16 AM
I want the superpower to make my husband take out the trash and fix stuff around the house when I ask him to and not two day to two weeks after the fact.

I'd also like the power to magically fix plumbing. Man, I'd be rich.:smallbiggrin:

Comet
2008-06-30, 02:31 PM
I'd like to be able to read people's thoughts. It would make so many things so much simpler. Seriously. And there's really no risk involved (what happens when your flying ability stops working when you're soaring above the clouds?)

That, or invisibility. Because League of extraordinary gentlemen is awesome and so is Griffin "the invisible man". Wouldn't want it to be permanent. mind. :smalltongue:

sleepyirv
2008-06-30, 11:50 PM
Super-intelligence probably, though that could give me knowledge that could lead to depression.

Otherwise, I would like super-speed and flight with invulnerability.

Logalmier
2008-07-01, 05:37 PM
I'd have powers like the Cobras... only I'd call myself Bend and Twist Man!

BB:"I am Baroo'n Brimstone, I'll soot my Eldriech Blasts at jou!"
B&TM:"Bend and Twist! Bend and Twist!"
BB:"Bah! They are hitting for' nagh!"
B&TM:"Bend and Twist! Bend and Twist!"
BB:"I'll ave your neck!"

Oh, and instead of having super strength I'd have something called the "Suck-The-Moisture-From-Your-Very-Bones" super power.

Callista
2008-07-01, 11:28 PM
Well, here's the "cool" combination I'd like to have.

Clairvoyance: Sense things you can't see. Not truly X-ray vision, because that's limited by range of sight and, of course, lead; rather, the ability to see without having to use eyes, to mentally form a three-dimensional image of a target object or area.

Telekinesis, on a small scale--the ability to move or shape no more than about a pound of matter, but to do it very precisely, even on a molecular scale.

Combine that with a very high IQ, naturally, because that sort of power is something you would need a great deal of creativity to use properly, and because the "high IQ" thing is pretty much a prereq for psychic powers anyways. (Although, come to think of it, a mentally retarded psychic has his own possibilities as a superhero.)

You wouldn't think at first that that would be powerful, but depending on the range, and used properly, it could be on par with Superman... just more subtle, with less collateral damage. Oh, and I'd still be pretty squishy, so I'd have to work in a team.

For example, I would be able to perform microsurgery just by thinking about it, or repair an electric circuit I couldn't see. With enough practice, I might be able to cure an infection by physically removing the pathogen from someone's body. More sinister uses are available, of course: Punch a hole in someone's aorta; scramble key circuits in an airplane computer system. Or tactical: Taking a pound of material out of the side of a gas tank stops a car very quickly. Deforming bullets inside a gun effectively disarms an opponent. I'd be a very good backup system for a group of people, since (with enough knowledge of medicine--made possible by the high IQ) I could telekinetically repair injuries. The only real weakness would be that I wouldn't be very strong, fast, or tough; but I could probably survive a lot, given the ability to heal if I were conscious and had access to the telekinesis/clairvoyance ability. I'd probably have a good knowledge of tactics and any enemy I could study beforehand, too.

Oh, incidentally, I would justify all of this by saying that I am actually a four-dimensional creature, with the telekinesis and clairvoyance resulting from the physical effects of having more dimensions than the world "around" you. And, of course, an extra dimension would allow for more neural connections, thus higher intelligence, as well as the ability to see something in 3 dimensions rather than as a 2-d projection of a 3-d image on the retina.

Y'know, that wouldn't make a half-bad story, actually. Such a big achilles heel, to keep the story exciting; a very versatile power... You'd have to be careful, though, because our society really seems to idealize Mensa type intelligence, even though there's a lot more to having brains than just IQ.

Hmm... you know, this set of powers would make a very interesting villain. They'd make the perfect assassin, and since there's nothing visible about using them they'd stay very subtle. With a wide range--maybe miles, or even dozens of miles--you'd never know who it was, or that anyone was behind it in the first place... then you'd have to track them down, without giving away you were doing any tracking. Sure, once you actually get close enough for a good hard punch, you've got your villain; but getting close is pretty darn hard.

Also, it's 2:30 a.m. and if I stay up to write this story I am going to go to sleep in class tomorrow. Darn it.

The "what I would probably really have" would probably be telekinesis, forcefield, and invisibility. Those are the abilities I have most often when I dream, so I figure they probably match my personality. Very Invisible-Woman-ish, though. It's been done before. :smalltongue:

Ethrael
2008-07-02, 12:49 AM
Elemental or Weather Control. Definitely.

Depending on your level of control, you can do almost anything. You can have telekinesis by using air, forcefields, pretty much create any weapon out of air. Create EMP's etc. You can do millions of things if you have an atomic control of it, but I guess you might have to have some higher level of intelligence to use it properly maybe, but a degree in Physics will do the trick. :smallbiggrin:

Callista
2008-07-02, 01:31 AM
You do have to be pretty smart to have a degree in physics, you know. At least the kind of person that gets into all the interesting classes in high school, and even then you have to have a very, very good work ethic, or else be an actual genius. (I learned this when I tried to be a physics major. I chickened out, or maybe just admitted the truth to myself, and am studying engineering instead!)

Revlid
2008-07-03, 06:50 AM
Another cool power would be Vibes.

You could give off (explain as pheromones, specialized ESP, whatever) different vibes at will. Scary, threatening, angry, tough, sexy, kind, open, whatever. Totally manipulating people's impressions of you in the same way as some people can do anyway, but with a wider range of impressions and more forcefully.

You're not in the mood to talk to anyone at a club? Give off scary vibes - everyone who sees you knows you're not a guy they want to annoy. Perhaps they think they've heard something about you, or perhaps they think they see a look in your eye that says you're not to be messed with.

You want to be the toast of the party? Give off funny vibes - everyone who hears you make a joke gets it, or if they don't they laugh anyway, just because of the hilarious way you said it, or because everyone else seems to be.

That'd be cool.

Callista
2008-07-03, 06:47 PM
Depending on how you did it, all the autistic people would be immune! Not being able to read body language would mean not picking up on really powerful body language either.

xyzzy
2008-07-03, 08:13 PM
Telekinesis.

I would sit at home, on my couch, using my powers to determine where criminals were breaking laws and then use my powers to crush them with elephants.

Then I would grab a zebra or something and have it suddenly appear in a freezer, and a large slab of it on a grill outside my house. I would then transport it inside, and eat it.

Who needs action when you can just watch everything and react immediately?

martyboy74
2008-07-04, 06:44 AM
A two power combo:

1. Teleportation. Be anywhere!

2. Time control. Be anywhen!

And possibly:
3. Immortality. Be alive after screwing around in time!

I guess that I just like the feel of independence. Also, if you screw something up, you can almost always just take a redo. You don't actually need to be smart, just prepared. And that you can do.

Vaire
2008-07-04, 08:09 AM
Telekinesis.

I would sit at home, on my couch, using my powers to determine where criminals were breaking laws and then use my powers to crush them with elephants.

Then I would grab a zebra or something and have it suddenly appear in a freezer, and a large slab of it on a grill outside my house. I would then transport it inside, and eat it.

Who needs action when you can just watch everything and react immediately?

I don't think that's the way telekinesis works. That's more like teleportation. Still, cool thought.

Sir_Chivalry
2008-07-04, 01:35 PM
The power to not have my life screwed up by Joe Quesada

curtis
2008-07-04, 01:40 PM
Fire!
I've always been the kid thats had an interest in fire! I would love to have a skull covered in flames as a head like Ghostrider and being able to shoot fire and control it! But controling earth would be cool too so that would be my second choice! You know causing earthquakes on an opponent or covering yourself with a massive boulder! :tongue:

This is definitely me. Though if I could, Omniscience, Omnipotence, and Invincibility.

do you have any idea how powerful that would be, i would know when to dogde, i would know when an heroic action is likely to suceed and i would know when someone where about to sneak up to me, among many others.

This is brilliant!

I will take Batman's two superpowers. To be insanely rich and the be able to add the prefix "Bat" to anything I own.

AWESOME!!!

Get rushed by a guy with a knife (or other hand weapon)? Open up a portal in front of him on the ground, he steps into it, then open the other end directly above it. Now he’s stuck in free fall and you can deal with him at your leisure. Or just close the bottom portal after a minute and watch him splat into the floor.

Or... don't. Just leave him there.

Get shot at? Use your portals to shoot them in the back.

There was a thread similar to this some time back with some very good suggestions. My favorite was a guy who took three powers:
1. To always be smack dab in the middle of something interesting.
2. He can mark certain points in time so that whenever he dies he can reappear at that point in time. He can also do the time travel thing without dieing.
3. Be physically perfect (and sexy).
Essentially turning life into a video-game complete with save states!

AWESOME!!! AGAIN!!!

Also, invincibility and object teleportation. I think, if 2 atoms occupy the same point in space, they will blow apart. Violently.

Teleport 2 rocks together. Instant Bomb. Teleport sand into someone's brain. BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBO OMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBO OMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBO OMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBO OMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBO OMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM

Just my 1 2 3 4 5 6 cents.

TheThan
2008-07-04, 03:24 PM
I got this interesting idea for a super power. It’s not really that powerful or useful but not every character needs to be superman.
The power is to ability to change the color of your skin and hair at will. Sort of like a chameleon, you can match your skin to your surroundings and have a natural form of camouflage. It’d be good for espionage and sneaking up on people. But not so much for combat.

(yes I do recall the Caped Chameleon from the Tick).

Tengu
2008-07-04, 04:29 PM
Telepathy and telekinesis... are the powers I would like to have. But if I were a super-hero, then, judging from my naturalc physical capabilities, I'd probably have a super-fart, so smelly it would make everyone fall unconscious, so loud it would make them deaf for a short time, and so strong it would let me jump really high.

Hmm, not that bad actually.

Dihan
2008-07-04, 05:48 PM
I like the idea of Husk's power. So that. :smallbiggrin:

For those who don't know, she can basically shed an outer-layer of skin to reveal a new form made of whatever material she wants.

Laurentio II
2008-07-25, 07:49 AM
I like the idea of Husk's power. So that. :smallbiggrin:

For those who don't know, she can basically shed an outer-layer of skin to reveal a new form made of whatever material she wants.
It's not only that. She can change form, grow new powers (like energy emission from hands) and heal all but fatal wounds. Apparently, the only known limitation is mass conservation.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 08:19 AM
Of course, but she prefers to stay in a Paige Guthrie-esque shape.

Linkavitch
2008-07-26, 10:46 AM
I would have the power to absorb the powers of other people, and then use them, permanently. Kinda like Rouge, except, more so.

alchemyprime
2008-07-26, 12:03 PM
I've thought of this alot.

Draft 1: Circuit, the electricity generation and controlling hero.

Draft 2: Photostorm, hyper-intelligence, pre-cognition, and energy absorbtion and reallocation.

Draft 3: The Bronze Nexus, with the power cosmic (think a shapeshifting Silver Surfer.)

I'd be cool with any of those.

Kool-Aid
2008-07-26, 05:18 PM
For me it would be either the ability to create and control fire, or super strength and durability. Flight or invisibility would be cool but only mixed with something else, they seem to be pretty useless in most combat situations on their own, and being good in combat helps when you're trying to make the human race kneel before you.

lifegospel
2008-07-26, 06:26 PM
duh! I'd pick the power to control space and time

T-O-E
2008-07-26, 07:42 PM
2. To change the colors of everything. It would not be the most powerful of all abilities I would have, but one with which you can actually cause quite much mischief. Hilarity ensues, when suddenly the racist becomes black, etc.

Get your hands on a green-lantern ring and you're practically omnipotent. If you ever face a yellow object (Green Lantern's most ludicrous weakness), just use your other power to make it blue. You can become a God.

Stormpax
2008-07-27, 05:05 AM
I'd want Fero Lad and Matter Eater Mans Power at the same time.
or invisibility, teleportation, and super strength. Think of the combonations!

Trazoi
2008-07-27, 06:46 AM
It would have to be a power I'd have a smidgen of a chance of getting somehow, like from when I was studying in a robotics lab when the chemistry lab next door exploded, dousing me in a exotic chemical cocktail fallout that interacts with my physiology to do... something. (This actually happened once, but all that happened was I felt slightly ill).

So I guess I'd gain the ability to control electronics with my mind; telepathically be able to operate and scan computer systems, break electronic locks, and so on. It's not a particuarly potent power, but that's all I'd get from my field unless I start replacing organs and limbs with cybernetic parts, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. If only I'd gone into genetics like my sister...

ericgrau
2008-07-27, 08:20 AM
The Blender.

He's a shapeshifter that can read generic surface thoughts of entire communities and blend in seamlessly. A spy, a messenger through dangerous territory, a P.I. detective, a what have you. He sometimes kills with gun, strangling wire, etc., but mostly he just tips off the police.

Has the annoying tendancy to be uncatchable and untouchable, since no villian even notices him. If he is found out, however, his otherwise mundane abilities land him in a heap of trouble.

The kitchen appliance insults would get old fast, though.

shadowxknight
2008-07-27, 01:46 PM
The ability to read and control minds.

Then I can just stop villians by controlling their minds:smallbiggrin:
Or I can go evil and mind control all the leading figures of every single country, thereby achieving world domination. :smallamused:

ericgrau
2008-07-27, 08:08 PM
Hmm, that sounds like Professor X, especially the one from the movies. Just use Cerebro. If he was evil, man o man.

Nevrmore
2008-07-29, 07:50 AM
So I thought about it some more, and I have a new power I'd want:

The Power of Heart.

I'd snatch that ring off of Ma-Ti's finger, punch him in the face, and show him how to utilize the awesome potential that he was wasting.

Mr. Mud
2008-07-29, 09:11 AM
Hmm... the million dollar question...

I guess I'd have:

Heatvision...
Flight
Super Strength

Ya know what? nevermind... All I want is the ability to make quick decisions :smallannoyed:.

prufock
2008-07-30, 01:25 PM
A 10-pound sledgehammer for the big damage, two claw hammers for more defensive combat, tacking hammers for throwing, a rubber mallet for nonlethal attacks, and a crowbar for backup (and for utility).

I don't need anything fancy.

TheThan
2008-07-30, 06:52 PM
A 10-pound sledgehammer for the big damage, two claw hammers for more defensive combat, tacking hammers for throwing, a rubber mallet for nonlethal attacks, and a crowbar for backup (and for utility).

I don't need anything fancy.

I guess its the simple things in life huh

10:51
2008-08-05, 11:21 PM
I guess if I someone were to give me one based on who I am...It would be the ability to shape shift as mystique in x-men. My secondary power would be regeneration like wolverine (no need for the skeleton, I want it more for the effects of aging than anything else)...and maybe an ability like forge, able to build anything I can think of. I always liked the idea of having super speed and wielding a samurai sword, maybe that would be more worth it instead of building an inexhaustible power source for the world?

Hectonkhyres
2008-08-06, 12:42 AM
So I thought about it some more, and I have a new power I'd want:

The Power of Heart.

I'd snatch that ring off of Ma-Ti's finger, punch him in the face, and show him how to utilize the awesome potential that he was wasting.
Perfect psychic radar allowing you to sense every living thing, being able to see through any creature's eyes and hijack their bodies if they are weak enough, cast illusions and implant hypnotic suggestions.

Indeed. You could make it awesome.

Berserk Monk
2008-08-06, 01:20 AM
Anyone ever see Fullmetal Alchemist? I'd want my superpowers to basically make me Greed. I'm immortal and can regenerate from basically anything. I can alter the structure of my skin to give me diamond tough armor. I'd only have one weakness and that be if someone found the remnants of my former being which is the equivalent of superman popping in, and you just happen to have a kryptonite rock in your pocket.

chronoplasm
2008-08-06, 01:39 AM
I want two powers:
1) Fire Breath
2) The ability to transform into a dark cloud of freezing mist.

fraud
2008-08-06, 02:09 AM
Psionics such as mind control or mind reading

or summoning minions to do my bidding

Bitzeralisis
2008-08-06, 02:16 AM
Powers?

Well... I'd say everything. And all of it under my complete, unwavering control, as well. :smallbiggrin:

Fan
2008-08-06, 05:46 AM
Hmm, I shall tell you in song.
"credit goes to steven lynch.

"If I could be a superhero,I would be awesome man.
I would fly around the world fighting crime according to my awesome plan
And if I saw criminals trying to lie, hurting others, and making them cry
I would haul them off to jail in my awesome van(its a rental.)
Cause I would be awesome man."

Mx.Silver
2008-08-06, 08:12 AM
As someone who enjoys inventing superpowers these threads are fun. Now, Omnipotence, while useful, could probably get a bit boring after a while. I mean, there are no challenges and sooner or later everyone will be coming to you looking for a quick-fix solution. Plus, the one thing guaranteed to get every resident dark god and cosmic horror coming after you is to make yourself a credible threat by putting yourself on their level.

Telekinesis is good but lets face it, everyone and their dog is taking it. It would kind of defeat the point of being super if everyone has the same powers. Plus the problem with Telekinesis is that its got very nebulous power levels. You could have the strength to pick up a house, or you could end-up unable to lift anything larger than a tennis ball.

Superstrength, is both very over-used and a pain to turn-off. Anyone who's seen The Incredibles will have seen that not being able to turn it off can be very inconvenient. Mind reading is even worse in that regard, as you need to learn how to use it selectively very quickly or risk being driven mad if you ever get stuck in a crowd.

Healing is good but flawed in that you still feel pain. Sure, being shot eighteen times then set on fire and thrown out of a nine story building onto some spiked iron railings won't kill you, but it is still going to hurt like nothing else. Immortality is even worse, as without some kind of death clause you are going to end-up being very, very bored.

There are still a lot of good powers out there, but it's hard to choose. Since the OP has said powers plural I could just pick everything I wanted, but that's just heading off into overkill territory. I'm averse to power-sets, but they'd have to be comprised of fairly moderate individual abilities. So for now, I'll just stick with single powers.

Runner-up: the ability to manipulate gravity's effects on things.
Now, gravity itself is not a particularly strong force. In fact , when compared to electromagnetism it's very weak. However, the Earth's gravitational pull is, as you may have noticed, pretty strong and I would be effecting just how strong its effects are on people and objects around me.

I like this because it's a very versatile power and can mimmic a lot of others. Reducing the strength on a heavy object will make said object a lot easier to lift, carry and throw around. I could hurl cars, trains and giant boulders around with just as much ease as anyone with super strength. If I wanted to use this offensively, I could simply lighten on object, throw it then reinstate normal gravity as it neared it target. I could also do this with enemies, chuck 'em a good distance into the air and then let them plummet back to earth at normal speed. It also means that weight isn't really an issue when dealing with equipment, so I can wear as much heavy body armour as is necessary.

Reducing said effects on yourself allows from quick travel, as you can start leaping huge distances. In combat its a pretty effective power too. You use weapons? Well now they're too heavy to lift. Super-strength? You'll need that just to be able to stay standing upright. Flight? Forget it. Super-speed? Better watch your step, as your next one could send you hurtling into the upper atmosphere.

All in all, pretty good but to be honest it's not quite my style. That would be: having the ability to manipulate a person's nerve endings at range.

Why this? What's so good about it? Well, as you're probably aware the senses of pain, touch, pressure and temperature are all caused by signals sent from sensory nerve endings around your body. I would be able to control these, and influence them. I can make you feel whatever external effect I want you to feel basically. This isn't some psychic hallucination either, you are really feeling this.

It's night, you're walking along a darkened empty street. You're a bit on edge but not too worried. Then suddenly you feel a hot breath on the back of your neck. You spin around. No one there. You tell yourself you probably imagined it. Then you feel a hand brush your shoulder. You spin around again calling out. Nobody. Is this an invisible person?
Just as you ask yourself you feel something cold had press against your back. There's slight twinge of pain: this thing is sharp. He's pulled a knife on you has he? Well, that's his mistake. You quickly turn and swing with your fist. It meets only empty air. You feel a small jab in your side and a slight sting. Did he just stick a needle in you? It felt like it. Then the hot shivers begin. The pain starts lancing through every fibre of your body. Your skin feels like it's on fire. No, it is on fire, this feels exactly like being burned. Poison? Something's been injected into you. You turn and run, maybe there's a hospital nearby.
From the building across the street. I take off my night vision goggles and walk away. By the time you've recovered, I'm long gone.

That's just one example, there's a load of uses for this. Whether its making you feel there are scorpions crawling over your skin or causing uncontrollable itching. It's more subtle then gravity manipulation but it can be pretty damn effective. I can snipe with it, or just meet them head on, as I can make it practically impossible for them to concentrate on their making their own attacks.

It doesn't have to be offensive either. I can make someone who's cold feel warm or block-out the pain an injured person feels. I could even stroke a cat or pet a dog without touching them.
The thing that really makes this one the winner though? It has a real use in the bedroom :smallwink:

Grokvar
2008-08-06, 04:51 PM
Eye Lasers and flying really fast.

Hectonkhyres
2008-08-06, 06:49 PM
Anyone ever see Fullmetal Alchemist? I'd want my superpowers to basically make me Greed. I'm immortal and can regenerate from basically anything. I can alter the structure of my skin to give me diamond tough armor. I'd only have one weakness and that be if someone found the remnants of my former being which is the equivalent of superman popping in, and you just happen to have a kryptonite rock in your pocket.
Hell, Greed could be a normal human being without a single superpower and he would still be the most awesome bastard under the sun. The man makes Vin Diesel look like Peewee Herman. He just rocks that much.

It was a crime that he didn't get more airtime and fightscenes.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-06, 08:09 PM
I'd either want to be a Technopath, or I would be able to create portals to nearly anywhere at will, instantly. Like my first GURPS Supers character.

Firstly, Greed is not Immortal, the whole reason he kidnaps alphonse is because he wants to be Immortal.

Secondly, I second Hectonkhyres. Greed is awesome.

Dire Ferret
2008-08-06, 08:22 PM
I would be able to spontaneously create bacon while also possessing the ability to manipulate bacon with my mind. Then I would beat down criminals with my delicious but deadly bacon hammer.

Or I would have the ability to edit and correct the title of this thread.

king korath
2008-08-06, 10:28 PM
The ability to weaken a character back down to the level he was conceived at. Wolverine could be killed, and batman could not beat all.

Cleverdan22
2008-08-06, 11:33 PM
I would have a cool tiny guy on my shoulder with bat wings that tells me when I'm about to make a mistake. Think about how awesome life would be.

Agroking
2008-08-09, 06:41 AM
I would have a cool tiny guy on my shoulder with bat wings that tells me when I'm about to make a mistake. Think about how awesome life would be.

that would be awesome.. i believe small humans are called homunculus', and were created by alchemists to do what their slaves (usually dwarves paid in fake diamonds) couldn't do...

AkazilliaDeNaro
2008-08-09, 02:15 PM
1st:be the guy in the movie "next"
only its for my entire future:smallcool:

2nd:super intellegence:vaarsuvius:

3rd:be jak jak:smallfurious:

4th:sandman and be able to cast gust of
wind as many times as you want:smallsmile:

5th:timestop and never age you just gained
every power

6th:have an undo button:smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-08-09, 02:59 PM
I've changed my mind. I want the ability to use ctrl+F in real life and to automatically know the solution to every problem I face.

Hoplite
2008-08-09, 03:35 PM
I've changed my mind. I want the ability to use ctrl+F in real life and to automatically know the solution to every problem I face.

Really? I always wished I was able to use ctrl+Z in real life.

Agroking
2008-08-09, 06:48 PM
I would just like to understand. everything. it would be hard and hurt sometimes, but.. hold on, i'm halfway there!!!

LoneStarNorth
2008-08-11, 11:21 AM
If I could have just one power, and it wasn't omnipotence, it would be this:

The ability to look at someone and then pull their underwear out of my pocket. The underwear that they were wearing. And they wouldn't feel it. But they'd check and, sure enough, they wouldn't be wearing it anymore. Because I pulled it out of my pocket. And I wouldn't tell anyone how I did it.

Why? Well, I'd win every argument I was ever in. You can't argue with someone that can remove your underwear without you knowing it. Hell, you can't do anything to them.

"Hey you, gimme all yer money and credit cards or I'll cut you!"
"You're not fast enough to cut me."
"How do you figure?"
"Because I'm fast enough to remove your underwear."
*crook flees in terror*

My only weakness would be people who wear their underwear on the outside, or who don't wear underwear at all. But I'd just point out how ridiculous they are and they'd instantly be rendered powerless by their own shame.

Flawless, I say.

Dihan
2008-08-11, 01:22 PM
If I could have just one power, and it wasn't omnipotence, it would be this:

The ability to look at someone and then pull their underwear out of my pocket. The underwear that they were wearing. And they wouldn't feel it. But they'd check and, sure enough, they wouldn't be wearing it anymore. Because I pulled it out of my pocket. And I wouldn't tell anyone how I did it.

Why? Well, I'd win every argument I was ever in. You can't argue with someone that can remove your underwear without you knowing it. Hell, you can't do anything to them.

"Hey you, gimme all yer money and credit cards or I'll cut you!"
"You're not fast enough to cut me."
"How do you figure?"
"Because I'm fast enough to remove your underwear."
*crook flees in terror*

My only weakness would be people who wear their underwear on the outside, or who don't wear underwear at all. But I'd just point out how ridiculous they are and they'd instantly be rendered powerless by their own shame.

Flawless, I say.

That would make all super villain encounters quite brief. :smalltongue:

Nargrakhan
2008-08-11, 03:22 PM
Nothing much or too complicated: just completely mastery over Time, Space, and Reality.

Why save the world? Save the UNIVERSE before lunch. :smallredface:

Durp
2008-08-12, 11:29 PM
If anything, i would have super agility and jumping powers... sort of like mario.

Durp
2008-08-12, 11:42 PM
If anything, i would have super agility and jumping powers... sort of like mario.

I COMPLETELY change my mind. I would have Cthulu powers. if someone looks at me? they die. if someone hears me talk? they die. heck, if they smell me? they die... so generally, nobody would come in my house and stop me from playing Xbox 360.

Kiren
2008-08-12, 11:46 PM
Super agility paired with fire powers,

wall jumping from building to building, attacking my enemy with flamethrower barrages from my hands, I would probably carry a sword, physical attack, maybe cover it in flames or at least make the blade white hot.

Pair a flaming sword with super agility, they wont see whats coming.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-13, 06:38 AM
I COMPLETELY change my mind. I would have Cthulu powers. if someone looks at me? they die. if someone hears me talk? they die. heck, if they smell me? they die... so generally, nobody would come in my house and stop me from playing Xbox 360.

What you do when you need more games though? You can't exactly go out and buy them:smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-13, 06:54 AM
What you do when you need more games though? You can't exactly go out and buy them:smalltongue:

Why would he need to by anything? He could just take it. If someone tryis to stop him, they die.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-13, 07:13 AM
Why would he need to by anything? He could just take it. If someone tryis to stop him, they die.

That isn't terribly heroic:smallwink:

Fan
2008-08-13, 07:39 AM
I'ma gonna contribte with another song

"If I could be a superhero, I would be drug free boy.
telling the world of the evils of drugs, and the lives they destroy.
And I'd take all those junkies, with their bongs, and their needles, and their sticks made of pie.
And as I burned them alive I would squeal with jooooyyy!
Cause I would be drug free boy.

((Dont slay me mods, this is purely comedic.)

Laurentio II
2008-08-13, 09:09 AM
I hope to be a super-hero in a comic book, as to be an super-hero in real world is a pain too big to be worthy.

Anyway, I can't resist to ask for a wide array of powers:

The power of listening my sidekick advices if he is smarter than me, and ignore them if he is stupider that a anvil;
The power to resist doing something completely irrational just because I'm told so by a buffoon that apparently dress himself while blind-folded;
To have a sidekick that is not erotically attractive to me, or that is of a proper age and gender for me, and actually reciprocate my interest. Otherwise, I prefer to search for a new one, as opposite of being jailed (it's bad), rejected (would turn me in a criminal) or discriminated (see Bat Man);
A basic culture and rational knowledge of most needed skills, like first-aid and driving a vehicle, while NOT knowing nonsensical crap like the necessary vibration interval to phase through chocolate walls;
Wearing a costume that does not provoke hilarity, piety, shock and/or rage. Possibly without any hint of my power source or weakness. I'm prone to wear the Magic Space Stone of Fabulous Power inside my underwear, if it helps avoid being disarmed at my first mission;
Last, the power to acknowledge that unaging is power itself, and retire when it's the moment, resisting the urge to help my younger partner. Because, you know, I don't like to die brutally in HIS first mission.

D_Lord
2008-08-13, 09:54 AM
I would like having the power and abititly to control and create void. I just rap myself in it an nothing can touch me. No one could see me, and I can make
THY Sharpest swords ever, and they don't weight a thing.

Nevrmore
2008-08-13, 02:17 PM
I'ma gonna contribte with another song

"If I could be a superhero, I would be Drug-Free Boy.
Telling the world of the evils of drugs, and all of the lives they destroy.
Well I'd take all those junkies, getting so high
With their needles and bongs and their sticks made of thai
As I burned them alive, I would squeal with joy
Because I would be Drug-Free Boy

((Dont slay me mods, this is purely comedic.)
Fixed. White void.

pman.512
2008-09-07, 06:03 AM
Mine would be shape shifting I mean come on think about it :smallwink:

Zolem
2008-09-07, 08:02 AM
As for superheroing, I'd be Lightning from my dedvart account. Superspeed, hyper inteligence, cool gadgets, and electrical generation and blasts.

ericgrau
2008-09-08, 08:41 PM
Got a link from a similar thread:
http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=53&limitstart=10

Super Landscaping. Check previous pages for super weaving and super ventriloquism as well. Apparently superman had a lot of powers.

And...
http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=53&limitstart=71

The lesser known item but incredibly useful item in the vast arsenal of bat-repellants.

horngeek
2008-09-09, 05:41 PM
Increased Strength, Speed (not to Superman proportions, more to Spiderman proportions- kind of super-agility), ability to fly, and ability to project energy blasts.
Sourced from an alien being in a symbiotic relationship. Read Nova for why I would want that last part.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-15, 12:37 PM
Toon powers. And not in a world of Toons, what is the fun in that? I would keep the Dip weakness, but I could stand it for a while by wearing an ablative coating of pure Ink, the stuff of the Ontological Inertialess world we Toons came from, The Inkwell as the Meats call it.
Tired of oppression and out right slave hood by the Meats, things are going to get very, very. . .funny.:smallbiggrin:

HolderofSecrets
2008-09-15, 03:11 PM
Toon powers. And not in a world of Toons, what is the fun in that? I would keep the Dip weakness, but I could stand it for a while by wearing an ablative coating of pure Ink, the stuff of the Ontological Inertialess world we Toons came from, The Inkwell as the Meats call it.
Tired of oppression and out right slave hood by the Meats, things are going to get very, very. . .funny.:smallbiggrin:

Who framed Roger Rabbit isnt a bad movie but you forgot the other Weakness that comes with being a Toon. Laughing yourself to death becomes a very likely possiblity by being humorous to yourself. Felt I should warn you.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-15, 03:51 PM
Who framed Roger Rabbit isnt a bad movie but you forgot the other Weakness that comes with being a Toon. Laughing yourself to death becomes a very likely possiblity by being humorous to yourself. Felt I should warn you.
Yes, that is possible,and I would keep that weakness as well, though we don't know where Toon 'ghosts' go. Also, one of the weasels, while 'passing on' was able to flip a lever that put Roger and Jessica back in jeopardy again. So even laughing your head off' may not mean your completely gone, unlike Dip, which is very permanent.
Not bad weaknesses, lethal and balancing to the ultra power that being a Toon is. It would be a bit frightening though, you give a stick of dynamite to a Meat and it has the actual effect of a stick of dynamite.See 'land mine victims' for an idea. Drop an anvil on a humans head, and it bursts like a ripe melon.
Juicy.

kopout
2008-09-15, 03:53 PM
The ability to manipulate, enhance, and alter the biological functions of myself and others on a genetic level (a la Elixir, pre-mole).

Not only can I give myself whatever powers I desire, I can give my friends powers too (and take them away, if need be).

Mmm, tasty.
i thought of that to

Vossik
2008-09-15, 11:38 PM
Super powers... hmm... that is a thoughy.
Considering this is super hero though and not villian. I guess mind control is out of the question, at least the way I would use it. :smallamused: How about animation then? I would carve figurines and statues and such then animate them to do the work for me. I could animate the dead to find out about the circumstances of their deaths. And in the end if I really needed to most cities have a statue or two I could use. Considering New York is the most common Supe city in Marvel I could totally pull a Ghostbusters 2.

Exileman
2008-09-18, 02:00 AM
I have put an uncommon amount of thought into this (uncommon as in compared to the thought i put into other things) and have determined that the best single power for me to have would be highly controllable and detailed force fields that retain kinetic energy. I could create a buzzsaw and throw it ala destructo disc. Actually, I could pull a lot of the Green lantern stuff. Not so much flight or breath in space and universal translator. I could bubble it up in space and hope the air doesn't run out, but meh. I feel that there would be numerous advantages. Need to take a bad guy down? Force Field. Now, some villains can break this stuff or things get boring. So, this is when you get creative. Throw them in an air tight force field and immediately expand it outward creating a thin aired vacuum like field. THe reverse wouldn't be to bad either. Create a large field and shrink it as fast as possible. Really, have lots of fun with that.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-18, 09:49 AM
Wow, except for the force feild part, that's gol' darn scientific.
Your idea. . . intrigues me.
Me likey!:smallbiggrin:

Holammer
2008-10-06, 04:48 PM
The power of denial, whenever I go into denial the very fabric of reality spontaneously changes around me to suit my needs.

Almn
2008-10-06, 07:20 PM
Conjuration, banishing and teleportation.

That should cover most of the bases:smallamused:
And I control the properties of the stuff I conjure, like speed and weight.
Hello ainti-Osmium!:smallamused:
Edit: And luck/fate manipulation

Staven
2008-10-06, 07:54 PM
I would go with one or two things. First, time manipulation. This ranges from anything like time stopping to super speed to rewind to time travel. I actually created a superhero who does this (his name is Stopwatch and he's hilarious. He has an antihero streak, though).

The second would be technopathy, kind of like Forge. I've always thought that power was kind of cool.

Majidah
2008-10-18, 05:50 PM
All other super powers are degenerate forms of super intelligence.

Hulk: "RAUGH! Hulk strong! Hulk lift heavy thing!" Great, you're a forklift.
Gambit: "Ah mon ami, I'll blast dat dere robut, tuit suite!" Ah, you have a "gun."
Wasp: "I can shrink!" I have a microscope and micropipette. "And fly!" Exhibit A: Airplane.
Jean Gray: "I can communicate over great distances." You're a cellphone.

Super Intelligence:
Ozymandius: "I stopped global thermonuclear war by tricking all the world's governments."

Ticktockcitrus
2008-10-20, 12:28 AM
Depends...

Is it: what power would I WANT?

Or is it: based on actual personality and lifestyle, what power would I HAVE?

In the first case, the ability to become a hybrid of Bruce Lee, Socrates, Charon, the Aztec deity Tezcatlipoca, and Jason Statham that can create universes.

In the second case, an aptitude for having aptitudes, plus an almost transcendental ability to let my mind wander.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-20, 01:44 AM
I would like my powers-suite to include the abilities to:
switch between being incorporeal/corporeal
switch between being invisible/visible
fly
teleport
put people to sleep
flawlessly read people's body language
put my body on auto-pilot when doing routine tasks

Failing that stuff, I'd really like a perfectly eidetic memory.

SoD
2008-10-20, 05:17 AM
I'd want to be able to change my body, and the clothes I'm wearing at will. Basically alter self at will, but also taking on the physical attributes (strength, agility) of my new body.

And also to be able to master any instrument instantly. Prefurably before my piano exam next week...

golentan
2008-10-20, 05:54 AM
Mind reading, fast healing, and shapechanging (with alterations to physical abilities). Then, figure out what baddies are most afraid of and stalk them in that form, taking out people one by one. No fatalities. I'd have them wetting themselves inside of five minutes, and it would be a good way to let off steam.

Ticktockcitrus
2008-10-20, 03:59 PM
Mind reading, fast healing, and shapechanging (with alterations to physical abilities). Then, figure out what baddies are most afraid of and stalk them in that form, taking out people one by one. No fatalities. I'd have them wetting themselves inside of five minutes, and it would be a good way to let off steam.

On occasion, that would mean stalking them as dirt, a highly specific illness, an elevator, an entire location (an unfamiliar one), a crowd, a Christian, an artificial additive, a woman, a homosexual, or quite possibly an illegal immigrant.

Or more. I have not even begun to list all the phobias people can have. And that's assuming they HAVE a real phobia. There are lots of things people are just kind of scared of.

Oh, and here's a list. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-phob-#Psychological_conditions)

I'd love to see you try to stalk someone who's Autophobic.

It's the fear of being alone.

I think you'd have to break the universe.:xykon:

late for dinner
2008-10-23, 02:00 PM
I love the show Avatar and I always thought that water bending would be the coolest power. you can:

Freeze People
Impale them with Ice shards
Heal People
Control People...against their will, mind you and that means it psycologically does something to them as well...especially if it is something really bad.
Pull water out of air and plants to use as a weapon
Make huge waves to wipe out armys...on a costal area of course

why wouldnt you want that power??

Bradakhan
2008-10-23, 02:09 PM
Alchemy: control of proton number; Lead to Gold or maybe a mountain to a big ball of hydrogen

Cheesegear
2008-10-26, 09:40 PM
To be a living Entropy generator. To be able to manipulate the natural laws of myself and those around me. But, really, all's I would need is my own personal good luck, and then nothing bad could happen to me. Of course, my catch phrase would be "Well, what are the odds..."
For example, jumping would cause me to get stuck, and fly. Because the laws of physics (gravity) have 'decided' not to apply to me.

And the fact that since I control Entropy, I also control the atmosphere (as per the thermodynamic definition of the word).

Or, I'd be Squirrel Girl. Seriously. You don't f*** with Squirrel Girl.

Scarlet Knight
2008-10-29, 03:18 PM
The ability to read and control minds.

Then I can just stop villians by controlling their minds:smallbiggrin:
Or I can go evil and mind control all the leading figures of every single country, thereby achieving world domination. :smallamused:

<waves hand> These are not the powers you are looking for...

lordofthe_wog
2008-10-30, 12:25 AM
Telekinesis. Considering it could, in theory, let you do pretty much anything with enough brain strength or whatever, and I enjoy tripping people.

Vaire
2008-11-05, 10:43 AM
I've changed my mind. I want the power to make the U.S. Military give my husband ONE BLOODY CHRISTMAS OFF!!!!

Sledge_bro
2008-11-05, 11:33 AM
By FAR, Gravity powers.

When I say that, I am talking total manipulation.

For example, reverse gravity on a singular person so they "fall" up forever and ever, and then get away from the thugs buddies by flying, ableit in a rather awkward manner, deflecting bullets all over the shop.

DiscipleofBob
2008-11-05, 12:27 PM
Audiokinesis: Control over sound.

Some various uses include:

Gratuitous sonic blasts. Unique in that sound is invisible (usually can't be seen), intangible (can't really be blocked), and it's kind of hard to hear it until the blast has already reached you.
Not only super-hearing, but almost a sixth-sense to sense the mere presence of sound. Basically a 360 degree sixth sense that as long as you were breathing, had a beating heart, any sort of movement or internal movement, I could sense you.
Manipulation of soundwaves, making noises louder, softer, or even muted, allowing me to eavesdrop on conversations, make my movements silent, have private conversations, etc.
Altering sounds so even without any prior experience I could play any instrument masterfully by simply altering the sound that comes out of it. Use this to make side living.
Subconscious control of the quality of my own voice, making everything I say have an almost hypnotic, suggestive quality to it (to make things a little more interesting, make it so this power is always active and uncontrollable).
If I ever need to, the ability to magnify my hearing/sound-sense to hear every sound on the planet.

Obscurejones
2008-11-18, 12:23 PM
If I had Powers I'd be a polyglot shape shifter with empathic control of others emotions.

I would use these powers for Evil and a half.

Taliesan
2008-11-21, 04:37 AM
The power to create potions that mimic the powers of other super-heroes for a limited time.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-21, 11:22 AM
Well, they all sound pretty cool, but I'm going to have to go with the sort of power that Hiro has on Heroes--the whole "bending time and space" thing is really awesome.

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-21, 02:18 PM
I'd like to point out that regular Kinesis would cover Audiokinesis; sound is nothing more than kinetic motion, after all.

That said, what I'd like is actually fairly simple, because I like being creative with my limitations; the ability to control light.

(By the by, Majidah, there's a flaw with your theory; powers are, by nature, inherant, whilst technology is not. If you take someone who's superintelligent and deprive them of resources of any kind, they're just as screwed as the rest of us.)

Requiem_Jeer
2008-11-21, 05:17 PM
Try to come up with some sensible powers please.

I would have gravity manipulation and being able to turn myself into stone. I'd call myself Planet Man.

Lerky
2008-11-21, 06:05 PM
Either mind reading/control or the power to manipulate gravity. I could fling anything around and even crush people with a sudden strong pull of gravity in the exact spot their standing:smallamused:

Tamburlaine
2008-11-21, 08:04 PM
Cosmic Honesty:

Whenever anyone asks me a question, my answer will be the truth - no matter what it is I actually say.

It's a (very) powerful ability, but made more interesting because someone has to ask.

Manoftyr
2008-11-21, 10:30 PM
Complete and perfect omniscience, simply put, I would like to know what everyone, everywhere was thinking or doing at any given moment past present or future.

Not a very 'direct' or 'flashy' power, but properly executed it has limitless potential.

Robz_defheadz
2008-11-22, 07:57 AM
Hmm if i had a choice it would be all the powers if a Genie without the obligation to fufilll wishes.

or

The powers of a poltergiest without being dead.

Irenaeus
2008-11-22, 12:46 PM
-/
/________________ God-Man
\
-\

Powers: Omnescience, omnipotence, and master of martial arts.

Glome
2008-11-22, 01:02 PM
Remember the movie 'Groundhog day' where time continually loops over that one day and only the hero remembers time repeating? My power would be to create time loops like that any time I want and end them any time I wanted to.

While I was in a time loop I would be pretty much be invulnerable because if I die I would just wake up at the beginning of the time loop again. After going through a few times I would know exactly how everyone was going to react and use that knowledge to my advantage. So I could flawlessly commit any crime after a few practice runs, have sex with anyone by knowing as much about them as a wanted. Alternatively I could stop any crime or disaster that happens in a time loop by knowing exactly how it is going to play out and acting accordingly and then starting time again when I practiced my response enough times.

chronoplasm
2008-11-22, 01:29 PM
I want the ability to manipulate electromagnetic fields to disrupt communication and targeting systems anywhere and everywhere in the world.
For day to day situations I'd have powered armor.

Mx.Silver
2008-11-22, 01:57 PM
For example, reverse gravity on a singular person so they "fall" up forever and ever,
Not forever, just until they clear Earth's atmosphere and asphyxiate.

and then get away from the thugs buddies by flying, ableit in a rather awkward manner,
i.e. Jumping. You can't fly with gravity manipulation as you won't be able to overcome air-resistence.

deflecting bullets all over the shop.
You can't deflect bullets. You can make them miss you but you can't deflect them.

If I ever need to, the ability to magnify my hearing/sound-sense to hear every sound on the planet.
Only to be defeated when the guy standing next to you yells in your ear:smalltongue:

EndlessWrath
2008-11-22, 02:16 PM
I must agree with earlier posts. A true superhero must have a superpower (or a power of such) and a flaw.

my power.

At any point in the day.. i can choose activate my power. upon activation... I can choose any 1 power in existence... Any power I thought of or have read or have seen. It lasts for 5 minutes.... thats it.

so I can fly for 5 minutes a day. I can throw fire...for five minutes a day. The real trick is holding onto your super power for the right moment, choosing the right one, and no showing off with your powers.

besides...why would i need a superpower for more than 5 minutes?

tribble
2008-11-22, 03:58 PM
The ability to do anything Mario can.
seriously, his punches hurt as much as having a fat Italian plumber fall on you, and he's nigh indestructible. furthermore, he can run very fast indeed and jump tall buildings in a single bound if he wearing a yellow cape. add to that the fact that his hat never falls off, and you begin to realize that the denizens of mushroom kingdom are very badass indeed. I would use these powers while wearing a foppish suit and coat like they depict british people wearing, as well as a top hat and monocle.

Grumbolt
2008-11-23, 08:00 PM
Being able to give people suggestions that they think are their own ideas....

Faceist
2008-11-24, 01:00 AM
Shapeshifting. If I'm allowed more than one, I'll tack telekinesis and telepathy on there, too. Awesome.

Lowkey Lyesmith
2008-11-26, 05:16 PM
When I was a kid we played superheros as so many other kids.
My idea of superpower is however a bit different( it is more of a bad guy power).

Bribe. I allways know what people desire. And I can give it to them, for a price. ususally to get them to fight for me or help me bring down a crimelord.
The thing is, I can't actually give people those things they desire, but I know how to make them think thay are gonna get it.

I would be the master of the Xanatos speed chess.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosSpeedChess

EndlessWrath
2008-11-26, 11:02 PM
Being able to give people suggestions that they think are their own ideas....

This is very feesible today. my friend, pursue in mastery of Speechcraft. Manipulation is a subtle but powerful technique.

------------

I thought of a new one...or two actually.
1) Wish granting. I can grant myself anywish save one... and I must grant any wish to people who wish. :smalleek: scary. a little kid says "I wish for a T-Rex" right next to you... oh crap.. The point is to have the flaw and still overcome it.

2) Reality warp based on thought. only problem is I'd end up like Franklin Richards. Can't control my thoughts ending in bad situations caused by accident. Although it would be a ton of fun ^.^

Berserk Monk
2008-11-28, 04:00 PM
I was on one of these thread awhile back and here's what I said:
I'd like to have the powers of Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist:
-Diamond hard skin
-the ability to regenerate from any wound
-immortality
-one small weakness to balance me out

Since then I've been thinking about another question - if I had three wishes - and I realize I would spend them on humorous, vulgar super powers:

-I want each one of my middle finger to be able to lift ten thousand pounds over my head. That way I could lift up a truck while being a super jerk (multitasking). I'd be like "What? Wanna go? Bitch!"

-I want a grappling hook to be able to fire out of my groin once or twice each day. It would come out at a speed around 200 mpr, have 500 feet of rope (although, I could make it shorter). As for it coming out of my groin, well, I just find it kind of suggestive, like "Hey baby?"

-I haven't come up with a third power yet. I haven't figured out a power as awesome as the other two. I'm open for suggestions.

Sledge_bro
2008-12-01, 04:42 PM
If anyone says one of a choice "Buzz-Phrases" withing 200ft of me, thier head explodes.

Examples:

"Too many cooks spoil the Br-*BANG*"

" Eat your crusts, they will make you hair curl-*SPLAT*"

*All's fair in love and W-*BRAIN*"

"Santa-Cl*Asplode*"

Grim? Yes.
Nasty? Yes.
Waste of a power? Probably.
Entertaining? No. (Think of the mess)

:smallconfused:

Enlong
2008-12-02, 01:37 AM
Okay, disregarding my older post, here's a few ideas, each of which I would love as my only power:

Invisibility: after watching the first season of Heroes, I realized just how useful invisibility could really be in the real world. Forget bumping into people, if the area's crowded enough, pragmatists will just assume someone around them jostled them. You could go anywhere, do anything, and nobody could know. Of course, living a new, invisible life would necessitate being a hermit, but...

Portal Creation: The ability to generate stable wormholes in space between any two points I can see. Very useful in everyday life, entertaining in a pinh, and makes for a nice getaway. Though some applications of it would necessitate flying or gravity manipulation to survive.

Personal gravity manipulation: the ability to control the direction and magnitude of the force of gravity on me. This would allow me to manipulate my weight at will, fly by reducing my gravity force to 0, walk on walls by altering my gravity's direction, literally throw my weight around in a fight, etc. I'd probably buy a hang-glider as my super-transport, or simply use a cape or an umbrella to catch the wind.

Out of those three, I think I'd love gravity manipulation the most.

Also, Berserk Monk? Third vulgar power: super-farts. Strong enough to incapacitate anyone with a nose, and powerful enough to form a really gross form of flight.

Jack_Banzai
2008-12-02, 02:03 PM
My problem with a lot of super powers is that a lot of them can ultimately corrupt a person, emotionally, over time. For instance:

Invisibility? Sure, you can go anywhere, do anything... but man is a social animal, and unless a person has a strict moral code, it is very hard for a person to behave in a socially acceptable way when they have the ability to drop out of society entirely.

Suggestion? This one corrupts absolutely. The fact that no door is left unlocked to you, no desire is denied to you, no person is safe from your whims, is a pretty self-damaging power. Sure, people THINK they can be the next Matt Parkman, but if you want a more "realistic" take on what manipulation powers can do to a person, you don't have to look any further than the Purple Man. God, I hate that guy.

Invulnerability? That could totally bring about delusions of godhood, and/or an addiction or aversion to pain.

Shapeshifting? Man oh man, talk about your identity crises. This was briefly explored in Mystique's character in the '90s, a rare moment of intrigue in the dog's breakfast that was X-Men. Basically she was so used to adopting other guises and identities for protracted lengths of time and so forgot who she really was for long stretches. It was a pretty interesting idea but ultimately went nowhere.

The craziest part of mental illness is that it is the one illness you really, truly, have to convince people they have. I'm betting that most people reading this post thought to themselves, "sure, but that would never happen to me". Power corrupts, and those four powers in particular would corrupt in very profound ways.

So I guess if I had a superpower, I would want to be either a telekinetic or a healer. Telekinetics seem like a pretty no-fuss way of dealing with things. Healers have a lot of potential to make positive changes but they all eventually have to deal with a staggering amount of guilt: an inability to heal everyone/everything, etc.

Blue Paladin
2008-12-02, 02:28 PM
I'm gonna stick with Matter Eating. I'd make a fortune hiring myself out to companies like Enron. I'd be so much better than a shredding service.

The mafia/mob/government would love me for cleaning up a crime scene. "Uh, ballistics were inconclusive. The bullet hole in the wall seems to have been licked smooth."

And no one would be able to dig up any dirt on me; I don't leave any trash for investigators to dumpster dive for.

On the other hand, I'd have to be extra careful about kissing other people... Unless I'm giving them the kiss of death...

T-O-E
2008-12-02, 03:23 PM
Tough choice but I'd have to go with... uh... advanced telekinesis.

Jack_Banzai
2008-12-02, 03:37 PM
I'm gonna stick with Matter Eating. I'd make a fortune hiring myself out to companies like Enron. I'd be so much better than a shredding service.

The mafia/mob/government would love me for cleaning up a crime scene. "Uh, ballistics were inconclusive. The bullet hole in the wall seems to have been licked smooth."

And no one would be able to dig up any dirt on me; I don't leave any trash for investigators to dumpster dive for.

On the other hand, I'd have to be extra careful about kissing other people... Unless I'm giving them the kiss of death...

Never mind Enron - think about all of the landfill space we could recover... all of the toxic waste that wouldn't need to be dumped anywhere... and a great way to get rid of spent reactor rods.

Enlong
2008-12-02, 05:12 PM
So I guess if I had a superpower, I would want to be either a telekinetic or a healer. Telekinetics seem like a pretty no-fuss way of dealing with things. Healers have a lot of potential to make positive changes but they all eventually have to deal with a staggering amount of guilt: an inability to heal everyone/everything, etc.

Telekenisis can be bad news, too. Ever seen what Sylar from Heroes does with that power?

Zeful
2008-12-02, 05:25 PM
Telekenisis can be bad news, too. Ever seen what Sylar from Heroes does with that power?

Telekinesis in the right hands pretty much is a win button. With the proper training you can rule over the entire world, with noonw able to stop you.

But then I could rule the earth with the original Aquaman's power (talking to fish). So maybe it's just me.

Corsair
2008-12-02, 05:36 PM
My powers would be twofold.

1: If any room I entered has any kind of device capable of emitting music (Boombox, TV, Computer speakers, whatever) they immediately switch on and begin playing 'Thriller'.

2: If I begin dancing to Thriller, anyone present is forced to watch and admire my totally sweet moves.

king korath
2008-12-04, 11:55 PM
To be able to see everything that could possibly happen for up too on minute in the future. Think about it, you would always know what the perfect action is in the right situation, and be almost unbeatable in combat.

Blue Paladin
2008-12-05, 11:06 AM
2: If I begin dancing to Thriller, anyone present is forced to join in as part of my zombie dance crew.Fixed that for you :smallwink:

RightHandless
2008-12-05, 02:08 PM
One of the utterly useless, yet visually grotesque mutations.

And I'd still put on a pair of tights every evening to dispense some extra judicial justice.

Othgar
2008-12-05, 02:20 PM
the ability to Chuck Norris (yes that is a verb) :belkar:

Halna LeGavilk
2008-12-05, 03:58 PM
Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

The ability to mentally capture someone's powers and use them.

See Superman flying around the clouds, fighting Invincable Women? Now Man and Woman are falling towards the ground, while I just became a god.

And think of the regular uses for it too! I go up to a quintuple black belt and steal his karate from him. Suddenly, he gets his ass kicked and I can go into a bar and beat everyone up.

You need to type that 32-page report? Steal a stenographer's typing skills, it'll be done in twenty minutes.

nothingclever
2008-12-08, 12:36 PM
All I'd really need to have tons of fun is some generic low level super dexterity/reflexes, endurance and strength.

Then I could just win every gold medal for every sport ever, be the best player on any sports team and become the richest and the most famous person ever by constantly winning millions in prize money from sporting events/contracts/endorsements. If my body was as seemingly normal as possible that'd be great too since then no one could disqualify me for being a mutant/suspected drug use/whatever.

Assassin89
2008-12-08, 09:58 PM
Ability to negate projectile weaponry. Considering that most foes would use guns, it would be a good idea.

Haven
2008-12-08, 10:27 PM
Hmm...I've always thought "telekinesis", but really, I think I'd want to go for telepathy.

Not necessarily the mind control part, really, I'm just curious about what people are thinking.

edit: On second thought, I missed the "if you were a super hero" part of the question. With telepathy, I'd basically just be myself...but with telepathy.
So I'd go with telekinesis, as far as crime-fighting -and- amusing every day life applications. Hmm, maybe I can just say..."psychic powers".

Matticus
2008-12-08, 11:57 PM
I would have the ability to instantly steal the powers of anyone else permanently (taking theirs away and gaining use of theirs forever), coupled with immunity to any and all superhero powers. Checkmate...

Zeful
2008-12-09, 12:43 AM
I would have the ability to instantly steal the powers of anyone else permanently (taking theirs away and gaining use of theirs forever), coupled with immunity to any and all superhero powers. Checkmate...

I have telekinesis. I have trained it for years to protect me from harm. It is my greatest weapon. It is a perfect defense. Tank shells are stopped dead, bullets are deflected like the mosquitoes they are, buildings torn asunder. If I know you exist, I can kill you. If you are immune to my power, I will throw mountains on you, raise the oceans to drown you. I can remove the earth beneath your feet or pull the air from your lungs. Take my power. Try to fly. My greatest power is not what you take, it is what you must leave behind. You cannot take my skill, or the finesse with which I can move a grain of sand. Those are born through practice and repetition. You can only take the strength of the Titans and wield it like a missile. Where I killed the gunman, you kill the hostage. Where I stopped the train, you must crush it. Where I am the hero, you are the monster.

Take my power, you will never have my skill.

Irenaeus
2008-12-09, 07:30 AM
I would have the ability to instantly steal the powers of anyone else permanently (taking theirs away and gaining use of theirs forever), coupled with immunity to any and all superhero powers. Checkmate...Assuming that nobody else suddenly got some extraordinary powers as well, this must be the least useful suggestion in the thread.

In fact, how can you not be certain you already possess such a power?

Jack_Banzai
2008-12-09, 01:34 PM

Oh, there's no denying that telekinesis is lethal, but most physical superpowers are anyhow. My point is that telekinesis doesn't seem like something that I couldn't deal with on a mental and emotional level.

Elrond
2008-12-10, 03:08 AM
advanced telekinesis or to be able to turn into a ball of powerful lightning or electricity:smallbiggrin:

High-Chancellor
2008-12-10, 03:53 AM
I have two powers I want... I'll only describe one of them, because I'm saving the other.

Spacial Distortion. I can control spacial relationships.

Now, I probably couldn't make people implode or explode... that would take one of those nifty power-magnifying thingerwhatsists. But I could teleport, and move people and things around. And fly. And probably make lazer-eye-beams.

And I'd save loads on storage. Fit through areas that I really shouldn't be able to. Problem is I'd have to know the area/what it is I'm distorting. I imagine line of site would probably be best.

Weiser_Cain
2008-12-10, 03:57 AM
Flight.
Immortality.
Invincibility.
Time Travel.

I don't need food or air. Is that so much to ask of reality?

docstrange
2008-12-10, 10:05 AM
I would be able to change the permittivity of free space at will. boo0ya.

Eco-Mono
2008-12-11, 09:37 PM
Do you mean what powers I want to get, or what powers I think the writers will give me?